2022-2023 Massachusetts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When do we think we may see some A's from waitlisted applicants? First week of May?
I think yea early May since 4/30 is when people need to narrow their list down, right? If anyone knows more about this please let us know.

Members don't see this ad.

is it still possible to get an A at this point? or are people waiting for waitlist spots?

Members don't see this ad :)
is it still possible to get an A at this point? or are people waiting for waitlist spots?
A friend told me that a few cycles ago they went from "under review" to accepted in June, no waitlist at all. Figured they just forgot about being put on WL, but maybe not ??

Reactions: 1 user
I think yea early May since 4/30 is when people need to narrow their list down, right? If anyone knows more about this please let us know.
When do we think we may see some A's from waitlisted applicants? First week of May?

This year, people need to narrow it down by 5/1 (Monday) because 4/30 (Sunday) is a weekend.
Last year, it was 5/2 (Monday) because 4/30 (Saturday) was also a weekend. UMass then started moving people off the waitlist the next day with many more 2 days after.
I expect UMass's waitlist movement to start on 5/2 this year.

For people waiting to hear back, I'm predicting this Friday 4/14 for a lot of people to hear back for waitlists. Mid-April was when a lot of waitlist offers were given in the past few years. Post-II Rs seem to be given 1 to 2 weeks after (last year it was 1 week after).

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
As a datapoint, for an EFC of less than 9K, I received about $30k a year in need-based aid.

Withdrew my A today. Good luck y'all!
I have a similar EFC and got nothing except loans... are you OOS or URM?

I have a similar EFC and got nothing except loans... are you OOS or URM?
Both. Not sure how EFC is calculated but maybe they took into account that the majority of the income came from me (nontrad) than the parent and obviously my income will stop existing once I start school

This year, people need to narrow it down by 5/1 (Monday) because 4/30 (Sunday) is a weekend.
Last year, it was 5/2 (Monday) because 4/30 (Saturday) was also a weekend. UMass then started moving people off the waitlist the next day with many more 2 days after.
I expect UMass's waitlist movement to start on 5/2 this year.

For people waiting to hear back, I'm predicting this Friday 4/14 for a lot of people to hear back for waitlists. Mid-April was when a lot of waitlist offers were given in the past few years. Post-II Rs seem to be given 1 to 2 weeks after (last year it was 1 week after).
Amazing, I totally agree based on my snooping of last year's SDN thread. Really waiting on this WL before committing elsewhere but thinking that most people get off the WL during that first week, and if not, then probably time to adjust plans but not sure

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Amazing, I totally agree based on my snooping of last year's SDN thread. Really waiting on this WL before committing elsewhere but thinking that most people get off the WL during that first week, and if not, then probably time to adjust plans but not sure
Yep, the bulk of movement seems to be the first week of May, but still carries on into the 2nd and I think even 3rd weeks of May, but not as much.

Will be dropping my A come May first, hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 8 users
WL for both MD and PURCH - interviewed Dec/Jan

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So yesterday seemed quiet. Next guess for when everyone in purgatory might hear something back?

Is there a deadline they have to get back to us by? For people who haven’t heard back at all? Like do we have to know by 5/1 since that’s when people have to narrow down their decisions? Or can they continue to have us wait into May?

Is there a deadline they have to get back to us by? For people who haven’t heard back at all? Like do we have to know by 5/1 since that’s when people have to narrow down their decisions? Or can they continue to have us wait into May?

Based on the AC email, no later than the end of April, to comply with AAMC traffic rules. Good luck to the both of us!

At this point I’m expecting a decision on the first day of classes in August

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Seven (7) months almost to the date post ii R. In state, umass system alum, for a while was my top choice. Not gonna lie, their process felt v unprofessional and as tho they rly don’t care about their applicants, and I’m not just saying that cause I’m bitter. Even tho I have an A (which I am so incredibly grateful for) my impostor syndrome is thru the roof rn rly making me feel like I’m incapable and must have a big red flag and won’t be a good fit for medical school or to be a physician :( and even worse it feels like it’s something personal. I did not expect to cry this early today lol. Anyways that’s all from me and i wish y’all better luck than I’ve had. I can respectfully unsubscribe from this thread now

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
imagine not hearing back still after interviewing in August… like wish I was kidding but we are a week out from deadline and still nothing 🥲😂🥲😂

Seven (7) months almost to the date post ii R. In state, umass system alum, for a while was my top choice. Not gonna lie, their process felt v unprofessional and as tho they rly don’t care about their applicants, and I’m not just saying that cause I’m bitter. Even tho I have an A (which I am so incredibly grateful for) my impostor syndrome is thru the roof rn rly making me feel like I’m incapable and must have a big red flag and won’t be a good fit for medical school or to be a physician :( and even worse it feels like it’s something personal. I did not expect to cry this early today lol. Anyways that’s all from me and i wish y’all better luck than I’ve had. I can respectfully unsubscribe from this thread now
Some of the best physicians and healthcare providers I know suffer from imposter syndrome. They feel like their path was a fluke and that they shouldn't be where they are today for various reasons, but everyone else knows that's not true.

One person I know got into medical school after bombing out of college and having 0 clinical hours. They did what they can to make up for it and barely eked into medical school. In medical school, they always felt two steps behind everyone because they knew almost no basic medical terminology, got yelled at during clinical rotations, and felt incompetent in general. They ended up completing their training at the top program in the US for their specialty, and they're the most humble, kind, and knowledgeable physician I know.

The medical school admissions process is impossible to ascertain. You've been accepted to an amazing medical school. Make the best of it, and I have no doubt you'll become a fantastic doctor yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
Another Friday of silence…interviewed in sept (IS) 🥲

Chancellor scholarship received today.

On another note, can a current student answer these questions for me?

Frequency of exams (once per block, multiple during every block, etc)
Format of exams (in-house vs. NBME)
Does Umass clerkship restrict the number of students that can honor a rotation?
Are lectures mandatory
Is there internal ranking (is it TRUE pass fail)
How AOA is determined with P/F curricula and if it's difficult to get it
Social life in Worcester
If they have any comment on the new Vista curriculum in general

Reactions: 2 users
I also have a few questions,

1. What do incoming students generally do regarding housing? Is there a Facebook group or GroupMe? Is it usually private housing near campus or is it school related?
2. How necessary is having a car?
3. Any tips for people who have never lived in areas with weather conditions similar to MA?

Thank you to anyone who is able to help!

1. Housing is private. Most students live in apartments or houses near campus.
2. You will definitely need a car 3rd and 4th year, and it’s nice to have one before that. Without a car, you need to live within walking distance to campus, and uber to the grocery store etc.
3. Learn to dress in layers, because the temperature changes from morning to afternoon to evening. You will need a good winter coat and boots in the winter, jackets or sweatshirts in the fall, and a rain jacket is a good thing to have.

So with 1 Friday left to potentially get updates, do we think we will get more news of movement this week?

Do we think they’re still a chance we can get waitlisted? Looking at past threads, the last week of April usually has just a batch of rejections. Feeling pretty pessimistic 😢

Do we think they’re still a chance we can get waitlisted? Looking at past threads, the last week of April usually has just a batch of rejections. Feeling pretty pessimistic 😢
I honestly don’t know. It seems like there has been less news reported so far compared to last years but I’m not sure

Just got the post-interview R :’) reapplication, interviewed in October, and was waitlisted last time I applied. Anyone else super disappointed in UMass this year? I didn’t think my two years of clinical experience would downgrade me lmao.

• Care
Finally caught the R today. Every other school I interviewed with took <2 months to give me an admissions decision while UMass took nearly 8 months. When I reached out to the admissions office last month as to when I could expect a decision, they straight up thought I was applying for the 23-24 cycle. All of this has felt very unprofessional and was easily the most disorganized and worst interview experience. Call me salty, but for an institution I once held in such high esteem, UMass has lost the entirety of my respect, and I have no intention of applying to any of their residency programs.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 14 users
Interviewed in SEPTEMBER. Just received the R today.

• Care
Just withdrew my A, best of luck to those on the waitlist!

• Care
For those who were rejected are you still able to access the application portal?

Are there any M1s at UMass that I could message to ask a quick question?!