2022-2023 Massachusetts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlist for reg MD!

OOS with no ties
Non-trad
Interviewed Dec 15. AC in early Jan.

Slightly relieved.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone else heard absolutely nothing since october? I interviewed for PURCH 10/7 and haven't heard anything since :'(

Reactions: 4 users
Is the waitlist pretty common for UMass? Currently on their WL for MSTP
UMass's waitlist pool has a max size of 150 based on what I've seen in previous years.

Difficult to say if it's common, but it's definitely more selective than some other schools that generally give only an A or WL after an interview.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going to the second look day (SO EXCITED!!!) and was wondering what everyone is wearing? Is it more jeans or business casual?

Reactions: 1 users
I was never assigned to a second look buddy…did i mess up somewhere in the sign up process?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was never assigned to a second look buddy…did i mess up somewhere in the sign up process?
they kinda just hit us up. We also got an email from UMass called "Second Look Day Logistics" that also stated we should be hearing from our "buddy"

I'm going to the second look day (SO EXCITED!!!) and was wondering what everyone is wearing? Is it more jeans or business casual?
I emailed the admissions and asked about the dress code on second look day. This is what they said: “There is no formal dress code for Second Look, wear whatever makes you feel comfortable.”

Also, are you all attending both the 27th and 28th or just the main day (28th)?

Reactions: 2 users
I emailed the admissions and asked about the dress code on second look day. This is what they said: “There is no formal dress code for Second Look, wear whatever makes you feel comfortable.”

Also, are you all attending both the 27th and 28th or just the main day (28th)?

So no dress code for either days?

What are people doing then? Casual? Business casual?

Do I send a second interest letter before decisions flood out haha :')

Do I send a second interest letter before decisions flood out haha :')
I would do it. The worst a letter can do is nothing in most cases, but it at least tells them that you're still interested.

My buddy never got to me either lol I thought I messed up the registration but the admissions people said I was all set so I’m just winging it hahah

saw my financial aid package was posted. submitted the docs last month,

WL offer Regular & PURCH now. Interviewed in Dec, OOS. No updates/LOIs sent post-Interview

Edit: it's funny, I got the email right as I was driving past Baystate
Edit#2: Withdrew from the WL

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Happy Friday y’all sending good vibes 🥲🤞🏽 good news cometh
1679669228010.gif

• Haha
Waitlist, OOS, interviewed in Dec. Sent in one letter of interest that included updates post-interview

• Care
I stil havent heard back!! What do I do???? I am PURCH applicant... Anyone get As at this point for PURCH/UMASS????

Odds we actually hear by end of month? Been waiting since early September!!!

I feel like maybe if they said everyone would hear by April that they would mean by the end of April aka the big May 1st day. Hope I’m very wrong though and they mean end of March

waitlist today - interviewed mid October

• Care
soooooooooo if they said we would all hear back by the end of March, today should be the day. Somehow i feel like they're not being truthful about that

Reactions: 6 users
soooooooooo if they said we would all hear back by the end of March, today should be the day. Somehow i feel like they're not being truthful about that
From what I heard, and from what I gathered from the AC email, their deadline is the end of april. IIRC the person running our interview session also said decisions can go into April.

• Sad
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if we fill out financial aid forms if we are on the WL? I know some schools have you fill out school-specific financial aid apps before being accepted but it wasn’t super clear to me if UMass does things differently!

i cant believe I did not hear back today
what are they looking for. I thought i would at least get something about PURCH???

I was thinking about this today, so I thought I’d share this here. UMASS Chan SOM has one of the most inconsiderate and inconvenient application processes I have had to endure over the past two years of applying. They completely lack any transparency through the process and leave students on the hook for way too long for what I assume is an attempt at yield protection. I engaged with many schools/interview processes this past application cycle, and how poorly UMASS treats is applicants sticks out like a sore thumb. I’m sorry to all of y’all who are still waiting on some kind of answer from this school.

Reactions: 7 users
I don't fully disagree with this but I do have some of my own thoughts regarding the whole process.

I'm personally a second-time reapplicant. In other words, this is my third attempt at entering medical school after the two previous years going very poorly. I'm not a stellar applicant by any shot, nowhere a superstar interviewee, and a standard deviation or two older than the average applicant. Today, I'm still without an acceptance, but I am on multiple waitlists, something I would have never dreamed of and am thankful for.

In the schools I have interviewed with, almost all of them will not reject you outright after an interview. Rather, they'll put you on the waitlist, and you won't hear back from them until late April when waitlist movement begins. Around March/April, you may get a rejection, withdrawing you from the waitlist, but many will just leave you in the dark until July or August when school starts. For some schools, you also have no clue where you stand in their waitlist pool filled with hundreds others like you.

Similarly, UMass seems to also not reject you outright. However, they tend to reject or waitlist the bulk of their interviewees in mid-April, creating a waitlist pool of about 150.

The question I ask is, is it ultimately so different when the waitlist for so many other schools is basically just another Active Consideration? In my opinion, I don't think so. To me, UMass does things quite differently from other schools appearance-wise, but the result ends up feeling about the same.

I do agree that UMass's admissions process can be improved with better transparency, but this isn't a problem with just UMass. It's a problem with many schools, and something I suspect has gotten worse with the influx of applicants the past few years.

Regardless, I hope everyone who is still waiting hears back soon. I know the uncertainty sucks and can feel gut-wrenching, and I dream that everyone will be able to enjoy their next few months without any worry.

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
When do we think we may see some A's from waitlisted applicants? First week of May?

As a datapoint, for an EFC of less than 9K, I received about $30k a year in need-based aid.

Withdrew my A today. Good luck y'all!