-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2022-2023 Massachusetts
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
oldfactorynotolfactory
Full Member
Was this just now? Just wondering if there’s making decisions all dayWaitlist for reg MD! OOS non-trad. Interviewed Dec 15. Slightly relieved.
meddemddmdood
Full Member
Exact time was 9:16 AM EST.Was this just now? Just wondering if there’s making decisions all day
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
dezsolover
New Member
+1 WL at 9:16 am EST
Is the waitlist pretty common for UMass? Currently on their WL for MSTP
diaperbarge
New Member
has anyone else heard absolutely nothing since october? I interviewed for PURCH 10/7 and haven't heard anything since :'(
D
deleted1128833
Same but august interviewhas anyone else heard absolutely nothing since october? I interviewed for PURCH 10/7 and haven't heard anything since :'(
meddemddmdood
Full Member
UMass's waitlist pool has a max size of 150 based on what I've seen in previous years.Is the waitlist pretty common for UMass? Currently on their WL for MSTP
Difficult to say if it's common, but it's definitely more selective than some other schools that generally give only an A or WL after an interview.
Lithium Carbonate
Full Member
Is the waitlist pretty common for UMass? Currently on their WL for MSTP
Approximately 900 II, 350 As, and 400 post-II Rs; 150 WL with 70 WL to A. Class size of ~175.
Edit: added post-II Rs estimate
Last edited:
mountain2doctor
New Member
I'm going to the second look day (SO EXCITED!!!) and was wondering what everyone is wearing? Is it more jeans or business casual?
Does anyone know how often this school reviews its waitlist?
dreamyymd
Full Member
wondering the same thing! might ask my second look day buddyI'm going to the second look day (SO EXCITED!!!) and was wondering what everyone is wearing? Is it more jeans or business casual?
I was never assigned to a second look buddy…did i mess up somewhere in the sign up process?
they kinda just hit us up. We also got an email from UMass called "Second Look Day Logistics" that also stated we should be hearing from our "buddy"I was never assigned to a second look buddy…did i mess up somewhere in the sign up process?
Anyone have an idea about this yet?I'm going to the second look day (SO EXCITED!!!) and was wondering what everyone is wearing? Is it more jeans or business casual?
Also financial aid comes out when?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I emailed the admissions and asked about the dress code on second look day. This is what they said: “There is no formal dress code for Second Look, wear whatever makes you feel comfortable.”I'm going to the second look day (SO EXCITED!!!) and was wondering what everyone is wearing? Is it more jeans or business casual?
Also, are you all attending both the 27th and 28th or just the main day (28th)?
I emailed the admissions and asked about the dress code on second look day. This is what they said: “There is no formal dress code for Second Look, wear whatever makes you feel comfortable.”
Also, are you all attending both the 27th and 28th or just the main day (28th)?
So no dress code for either days?
What are people doing then? Casual? Business casual?
if we all do onesies, they can't stop usSo no dress code for either days?
What are people doing then? Casual? Business casual?
heyheyheyheyheyheyheyhey
Full Member
when are we expecting this flood... april?! 😵Do I send a second interest letter before decisions flood out haha :')
piglover123
Full Member
I sent about 6 and still got WL'd :')Do I send a second interest letter before decisions flood out haha :')
why 6 tho..I sent about 6 and still got WL'd :')
meddemddmdood
Full Member
I would do it. The worst a letter can do is nothing in most cases, but it at least tells them that you're still interested.Do I send a second interest letter before decisions flood out haha :')
My buddy never got to me either lol I thought I messed up the registration but the admissions people said I was all set so I’m just winging it hahahI was never assigned to a second look buddy…did i mess up somewhere in the sign up process?
Expandedscope
Full Member
+1 for winging it lolMy buddy never got to me either lol I thought I messed up the registration but the admissions people said I was all set so I’m just winging it hahah
Is financial aid out for everyone? I see no "awards" tab
Waitlist, OOS, interviewed in Dec. Sent in one letter of interest that included updates post-interview
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
HavingFun@13421
Full Member
I stil havent heard back!! What do I do???? I am PURCH applicant... Anyone get As at this point for PURCH/UMASS????
I got an A for PURCH/MD in February, interviewed in JanI stil havent heard back!! What do I do???? I am PURCH applicant... Anyone get As at this point for PURCH/UMASS????
diaperbarge
New Member
I am going crazy too.. haven't hear anything and interviewed for both early october :OI stil havent heard back!! What do I do???? I am PURCH applicant... Anyone get As at this point for PURCH/UMASS????
Lithium Carbonate
Full Member
The L in PURCH is silent 😢
oldfactorynotolfactory
Full Member
I feel like maybe if they said everyone would hear by April that they would mean by the end of April aka the big May 1st day. Hope I’m very wrong though and they mean end of March
Otherwise_mushroom
Full Member
Has anyone gotten a post-II rejection yet, or is there a wave expected to happen soon?
Lithium Carbonate
Full Member
Has anyone gotten a post-II rejection yet, or is there a wave expected to happen soon?
Two post-II rejections so far. More to come.
From what I heard, and from what I gathered from the AC email, their deadline is the end of april. IIRC the person running our interview session also said decisions can go into April.soooooooooo if they said we would all hear back by the end of March, today should be the day. Somehow i feel like they're not being truthful about that
Does anyone know if we fill out financial aid forms if we are on the WL? I know some schools have you fill out school-specific financial aid apps before being accepted but it wasn’t super clear to me if UMass does things differently!
HavingFun@13421
Full Member
i cant believe I did not hear back today
what are they looking for. I thought i would at least get something about PURCH???
what are they looking for. I thought i would at least get something about PURCH???
Lithium Carbonate
Full Member
i cant believe I did not hear back today
what are they looking for. I thought i would at least get something about PURCH???
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was thinking about this today, so I thought I’d share this here. UMASS Chan SOM has one of the most inconsiderate and inconvenient application processes I have had to endure over the past two years of applying. They completely lack any transparency through the process and leave students on the hook for way too long for what I assume is an attempt at yield protection. I engaged with many schools/interview processes this past application cycle, and how poorly UMASS treats is applicants sticks out like a sore thumb. I’m sorry to all of y’all who are still waiting on some kind of answer from this school.
meddemddmdood
Full Member
I don't fully disagree with this but I do have some of my own thoughts regarding the whole process.
I'm personally a second-time reapplicant. In other words, this is my third attempt at entering medical school after the two previous years going very poorly. I'm not a stellar applicant by any shot, nowhere a superstar interviewee, and a standard deviation or two older than the average applicant. Today, I'm still without an acceptance, but I am on multiple waitlists, something I would have never dreamed of and am thankful for.
In the schools I have interviewed with, almost all of them will not reject you outright after an interview. Rather, they'll put you on the waitlist, and you won't hear back from them until late April when waitlist movement begins. Around March/April, you may get a rejection, withdrawing you from the waitlist, but many will just leave you in the dark until July or August when school starts. For some schools, you also have no clue where you stand in their waitlist pool filled with hundreds others like you.
Similarly, UMass seems to also not reject you outright. However, they tend to reject or waitlist the bulk of their interviewees in mid-April, creating a waitlist pool of about 150.
The question I ask is, is it ultimately so different when the waitlist for so many other schools is basically just another Active Consideration? In my opinion, I don't think so. To me, UMass does things quite differently from other schools appearance-wise, but the result ends up feeling about the same.
I do agree that UMass's admissions process can be improved with better transparency, but this isn't a problem with just UMass. It's a problem with many schools, and something I suspect has gotten worse with the influx of applicants the past few years.
Regardless, I hope everyone who is still waiting hears back soon. I know the uncertainty sucks and can feel gut-wrenching, and I dream that everyone will be able to enjoy their next few months without any worry.
I'm personally a second-time reapplicant. In other words, this is my third attempt at entering medical school after the two previous years going very poorly. I'm not a stellar applicant by any shot, nowhere a superstar interviewee, and a standard deviation or two older than the average applicant. Today, I'm still without an acceptance, but I am on multiple waitlists, something I would have never dreamed of and am thankful for.
In the schools I have interviewed with, almost all of them will not reject you outright after an interview. Rather, they'll put you on the waitlist, and you won't hear back from them until late April when waitlist movement begins. Around March/April, you may get a rejection, withdrawing you from the waitlist, but many will just leave you in the dark until July or August when school starts. For some schools, you also have no clue where you stand in their waitlist pool filled with hundreds others like you.
Similarly, UMass seems to also not reject you outright. However, they tend to reject or waitlist the bulk of their interviewees in mid-April, creating a waitlist pool of about 150.
The question I ask is, is it ultimately so different when the waitlist for so many other schools is basically just another Active Consideration? In my opinion, I don't think so. To me, UMass does things quite differently from other schools appearance-wise, but the result ends up feeling about the same.
I do agree that UMass's admissions process can be improved with better transparency, but this isn't a problem with just UMass. It's a problem with many schools, and something I suspect has gotten worse with the influx of applicants the past few years.
Regardless, I hope everyone who is still waiting hears back soon. I know the uncertainty sucks and can feel gut-wrenching, and I dream that everyone will be able to enjoy their next few months without any worry.
diaperbarge
New Member
anyone hear anything today?
piglover123
Full Member
When do we think we may see some A's from waitlisted applicants? First week of May?