2022-2023 Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the scholarship!
1670007222435.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@skeptastic Met a parent at a wedding today with MS1 student at A&M. He said one of their MS1 classmates is 64. I dont know if he meant 54 because he said this person worked for 25 years and went back to school.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
@skeptastic Met a parent at a wedding today with MS1 student at A&M. He said one of their MS1 classmates is 64. I dont know if he meant 54 because he said this person worked for 25 years and went back to school.
Either age is exceptional! Of all schools, A&M certainly doesn't have an issue with advanced age. Lubbock and El Paso seem to have accepted a greater number of older non-trads the past four cycles, but A&M likes em reeeeeal old, lol!

Reactions: 1 users
Either age is exceptional! Of all schools, A&M certainly doesn't have an issue with advanced age. Lubbock and El Paso seem to have accepted a greater number of older non-trads the past four cycles, but A&M likes em reeeeeal old, lol!
Love that as I will be 48 in February. :) Afraid I applied too late this cycle though. Look to return to medical school after completing MS1 10 years ago. Fully healthy to return, but a lot older. Hope they give me a real look and not a laugh. :)

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I was complete way back near the end of August, but I have not received an II. I was just trying to gauge to see what was left, with hopes that they might show some me some love at some point (,:
I was late September, Death in the family. Already thinking about next cycle though, not too worried. As an old guy with a wife and baby expecting in the next couple of months with work, hard to study for an MCAT to re-take with material I literally took last century. :) But Que Sera Sera. Got to suck it up the next couple of months. :)

Do you remember when those are (like before match day, after, a certain weekend every year)? Would love to go on one, but I would need to know well in advance because I live thousands of miles away from TX.
i was accepted off the waitlist two weeks after match day and went to second look in April so there are. a few dates

Honestly, it's hard to say and it's not worth worrying about either way because it's out of your hands at this point. All applications are judged by a large committee and any significant disagreement between interviewers is scrutinized very closely. If it helps, you never know what your interviewer values or comes away with. There have been times an applicant has complained to the committee about a particular interviewer and it turns out that interviewer gave a positive evaluation when the other did not. When I interview, I sometimes ask about academic performance to assess one thing or another, but I honestly don't much care much about your MCAT, GPA, or prior research as long as I'm not concerned you can pass your medical school classes. There's much more to being a good doctor and qualified applicant than being an academic rockstar.
I was wondering so after the interview is finished does MCAT and GPA come into play when the applications are being judged by the committee? Or is it the case that the GPA and MCAT is enough to get the person the interview and after that it doesn't matter. I appreciate you taking questions this is very helpful.

Met an MS2 today who is moving to Houston end of the month. They said they are done with preclerkship phase on Dec 16th. Dont know if the other locations operate the same way and Dallas, Roundrock also complete preclerkship after 3 semesters.

Met an MS2 today who is moving to Houston end of the month. They said they are done with preclerkship phase on Dec 16th. Dont know if the other locations operate the same way and Dallas, Roundrock also complete preclerkship after 3 semesters.
It's an 18 month pre-clerkship curriculum for everyone. For those assigned to the Round Rock or Dallas campuses, you spend you complete your last 6 months of the pre-clerkship curriculum at your clinical campus. For those assigned to Houston, you stay in College Station an additional 6 months and do the whole 18 month curriculum there before moving.

Members don't see this ad :)
They said they are done with preclerkship phase on Dec 16th. Dont know if the other locations operate the same way and Dallas, Roundrock also complete preclerkship after 3 semesters.
As was said before, everyone completes the same pre-clerkship--same schedule, classes, professors, tests. Our pre-clerkship actually ends in February--we have a 2 week break at the end of December and then one more organ block in the Spring (though this block is entirely virtual). After that, we have a 7-week dedicated for Step 1 and then start clerkships at the beginning of April.

after the interview is finished does MCAT and GPA come into play when the applications are being judged by the committee?
When the committee discusses an application and votes, your application as a whole package is judged--academic performance included. Similarly, when an interviewer writes up their evaluation, the entire application is considered. The major factor that GPA/MCAT fall into is whether or not there are concerns an applicant will be able to handle the rigor of medical school, but there is more to that than simply past academic performance.

• Love
As was said before, everyone completes the same pre-clerkship--same schedule, classes, professors, tests. Our pre-clerkship actually ends in February--we have a 2 week break at the end of December and then one more organ block in the Spring (though this block is entirely virtual). After that, we have a 7-week dedicated for Step 1 and then start clerkships at the beginning of April.

When the committee discusses an application and votes, your application as a whole package is judged--academic performance included. Similarly, when an interviewer writes up their evaluation, the entire application is considered. The major factor that GPA/MCAT fall into is whether or not there are concerns an applicant will be able to handle the rigor of medical school, but there is more to that than simply past academic performance.
Are you going to the houston campus?

Are you going to the houston campus?
No, I am staying in BCS. My Houston classmates move to Houston over the break (or at least before April), but they still have the same schedule as BCS--just like Round Rock and Dallas do as well. We all start Endo/Repro, which is a 5-week block, on January 2.

No, I am staying in BCS. My Houston classmates move to Houston over the break (or at least before April), but they still have the same schedule as BCS--just like Round Rock and Dallas do as well. We all start Endo/Repro, which is a 5-week block, on January 2.
One of your Houston classmates said the preclerkship phase is considered complete when they leave BCS in a couple of weeks and move to Houston around 16th. That is what I am posting. Not sure why they dont consider virtual organ block as part of the preclerkship. May be they think that way since they have start going to hospital when they move here?

One of your Houston classmates said the preclerkship phase is considered complete when they leave BCS in a couple of weeks and move to Houston around 16th. That is what I am posting.
They are simply mistaken. That is all there is to it. Our schedule, and the schedule for classes to come, is as I posted above. This is the first year we have had a block after Winter Break, due to our newly implemented 10-week summer break. Previously, Winter Break was the start of dedicated studying, which then led into clerkships.
May be they think that way since they have start going to hospital when they move here?
They do not have to go to the hospital systems there until clerkships. They may have to take exams for the last organ block there, but that has yet to be determined and they would be able to take them at any other campus as well, if that was more convenient for them.

I think so too, my MCAT is somewhat lower than the median and they made sure to ask about my MCAT performance. They also said they wanted to make sure I “could handle the academic rigor of medical school”.

Does anyone know if Texas A&M offer scholarships to EnMed accepted applicants?

A&M has EnMED full tuition scholarships already being given when they admit students to engineering with MD. I think there are only 5 coming now but there will be 15 in future.

Not sure if Brown is giving some additional scholarships. I remember some people graduating out of A&M receiving them in the earlier batches.

Reactions: 1 user
Last pre-match/ENMED acceptance days were October 24th and November 1st, according to this thread. Does anyone have any knowledge on the next date there will be updates? Will there be a wave right before the December holidays?

Last pre-match/ENMED acceptance days were October 24th and November 1st, according to this thread. Does anyone have any knowledge on the next date there will be updates? Will there be a wave right before the December holidays?
Last cycle they just let it out in october and that was it for prematches from what I remember. I think they were just trying to be careful since 2020/2021 cycle, they overaccepted and had to defer acceptances.

Has anyone heard anything more about second look days or how/when to sign up for those?

Has anyone heard anything more about second look days or how/when to sign up for those?
I emailed the EnMed admissions team about it back in October and they said they were "sending out invites to select students over the next few months." I think second look days for these programs would be closer to January or February honestly, considering we finalize our match lists at the end of Feb and they'd probably want to knock it out in one go with as many people as possible since they're not huge programs, but IDK. Have any other EnMed people heard anything about second look?

Does anyone know how robust TAMU’s global health opportunities are? Although it’s early, I have basically settled on here and UTMB as my top two choices. One thing that keeps pulling me towards UTMB is their global health scholarly track. If TAMU has great opportunities to spend time abroad during med school, that would really sway me towards TAMU.

Have EnMed applicants that interview min-November heard back yet? OOS Applicant through AMCAS

I interviewed for EnMed on 11/14 and haven't heard yet either. On interview day they told us 2-3 weeks, but I'm guessing the delay is due to the holiday?

II earlier today

IS, ORM, LM 65, complete 6/15

Lots of dates in January

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know how robust TAMU’s global health opportunities are? Although it’s early, I have basically settled on here and UTMB as my top two choices. One thing that keeps pulling me towards UTMB is their global health scholarly track. If TAMU has great opportunities to spend time abroad during med school, that would really sway me towards TAMU.
They seem to have quite a bit of military medicine focused global health if that interests you.

At the moment we have a campus organization for Interprofessional Global & Public Health. And I know some organizations plan mission trips during Spring Break. I am not too sure about study abroad programs as I have not looked into it myself. Maybe you could reach out to Ms. Rachel and ask about these opportunities. She is busy since we are in the middle of admissions process and winter break is in a couple of days, so give her some time to respond. If you have access to Aggie Ambassadors, I would reach out to an M2 + and ask them about it.

We also do have a big focus on rural and community health here. And the school is working towards opportunities to highlight people's interest in those areas of medicine. It is in the works for us current M1's. There should be a more solid plan for the incoming classes.

EnMed A today at 11:45! OOS, LM 68. Interviewed 11/14

Reactions: 8 users
Yep, got my Pre-II rejection. Called and like I have been saying she did say I need to redo my MCAT, I knew that since I couldn't with having a death in the family this past summer so.....will start after the new year on those studies. Wish my health did not crap out and finished my MD years ago, so hard when older to get through these hoops again.

• Care
Do any EnMed accepted folks have a group chat? (and if not, if anyone is interested in exchanging contact info let me know!)

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you!! Wishing you good news this cycle
I think its great to hear news even if it is not what we want. In my case, I love knowing what I need to do next and not have to wait for an unknown. Best of luck to everyone and congrats to those that put together a great application, it is never easy but just remember.....this is just the beginning. :) And stay healthy when you are in Medical School....if you get ill and can't return you will be in my boat and have to start from scratch. You definitely will not get any special treatment. All the best to all!

Interviewed earlier this week. Very positive experience overall. Going to be tough not to rank A&M highly.