2023-2024 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone that felt they fumbled on 1-2 of the interview questions and still got an A? Group session was 11/17, so I'm thinking they'll send out news soon for us

most def

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone that felt they fumbled on 1-2 of the interview questions and still got an A? Group session was 11/17, so I'm thinking they'll send out news soon for us
Yep! The time limits have made me realize how simultaneously long and short 1-2 minutes can be. I think I got cut off or rambled for a fair amount of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought I absolutely bombed the interview, but ended up getting the A. Don’t be too hard on yourself you’re usually your worst critic, so try to stay positive!

Yep! The time limits have made me realize how simultaneously long and short 1-2 minutes can be. I think I got cut off or rambled for a fair amount of them.
I definitely think I was cut off for one of my responses too, and I found myself kind of mumbling towards the end of one of my responses lol

Just got the A text message; group session was 10/27. I was also accepted to NYITCOM before, what do you guys think about which one may be better?

NYIT’s deposit is due in 4 days sooo :’)
I had to decide between the two a little bit ago
Pros of Des Moines:
-100% match
-Last year, DMU had the highest COMLEX pass rate of all DO schools
-6 year average COMLEX pass rate is 97.6
-great mid west residency connections
-new school (of all the schools MD/DO, this school tops it all in terms of niceness of campus)
-highest non-profit COMLEX pass rate (ranked 2 overall)

Cons of Des Moines:
-it is a smaller town than what I am used to
-graded curriculum

Pros of NYIT:
-Good new York rotations
-New York proximity - city might be fun
-Dr. Mike is an alumni
-P/F curriculum

Cons of NYIT:
-lower COMLEX pass rate at 92.4% 6 year average
-ranked 22 for average COMLEX pass rate
-facilities are really old (I do have photos of both schools if interested)

Source: COMLEX Level 1 First Time Pass Rates - 2016-2023

TLDR: Choose DMU for reputation, COMLEX, facilities; choose NYIT if you want to be closer to bigger town(city). (this is a general overview, please factor into personal reasons)

Reactions: 1 users
I fumbled all of my questions, it was my first interview and none of my responses were done when the timer ended.
Still got the A

I had to decide between the two a little bit ago
Pros of Des Moines:
-100% match
-Last year, DMU had the highest COMLEX pass rate of all DO schools
-6 year average COMLEX pass rate is 97.6
-great mid west residency connections
-new school (of all the schools MD/DO, this school tops it all in terms of niceness of campus)
-highest non-profit COMLEX pass rate (ranked 2 overall)

Cons of Des Moines:
-it is a smaller town than what I am used to
-graded curriculum

Pros of NYIT:
-Good new York rotations
-New York proximity - city might be fun
-Dr. Mike is an alumni
-P/F curriculum

Cons of NYIT:
-lower COMLEX pass rate at 92.4% 6 year average
-ranked 22 for average COMLEX pass rate
-facilities are really old (I do have photos of both schools if interested)

Source: COMLEX Level 1 First Time Pass Rates - 2016-2023

TLDR: Choose DMU for reputation, COMLEX, facilities; choose NYIT if you want to be closer to bigger town(city). (this is a general overview, please factor into personal reasons)
Thank you very much! Do you think the passing averages could be related to the difference in number of students?

Could you DM me those pictures? I actually have my campus tour with NYIT tomorrow.

I think I’ll pay the deposit for NYIT now since it’s safer than being forced to go to DMU later if I don’t pay NYIT’s deposit, even though it’s a lot of money. I’m still waiting on many schools, both pre and post IIs so we’ll see what happens.

I got a postcard from the student ambassadors with the #dmubound hashtag,

based on previous comments on this thread, should I expect to hear back soon?
Interviewed 12/07

I got a postcard from the student ambassadors with the #dmubound hashtag,

based on previous comments on this thread, should I expect to hear back soon?
Interviewed 12/07
I’m not sure honestly. I got my postcard about a week or so after the group interview, and was offered a decision 10 weeks later. Admissions office has been really nice about questions and checking status periodically, so they’d be able to give a more accurate time frame. Maybe try giving them a call next week?

Thank you very much! Do you think the passing averages could be related to the difference in number of students?

Could you DM me those pictures? I actually have my campus tour with NYIT tomorrow.

I think I’ll pay the deposit for NYIT now since it’s safer than being forced to go to DMU later if I don’t pay NYIT’s deposit, even though it’s a lot of money. I’m still waiting on many schools, both pre and post IIs so we’ll see what happens.
But DMU deposit is $750 vs NYITCOM’s deposit of $1500. I’d personally go with the cheaper one

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI it's not 100% match, it's 100% placement. IIRC, our match last year was 93/94%, which is still great but I felt it was a little deceitful when they claimed 100% match when people were required to SOAP into places they probably didn't want.

FYI it's not 100% match, it's 100% placement. IIRC, our match last year was 93/94%, which is still great but I felt it was a little deceitful when they claimed 100% match when people were required to SOAP into places they probably didn't want.

what is soap

what is soap
Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program. Basically in the next few days after the match, the people that didn’t match into the specialty they wanted, go through a “speed dating” type process where they try to grab a spot at programs that didn’t fill all their spots. Usually those are people applying to more competitive specialties like Orthopedic surgery, Derm, Neurosurgery, etc and these SOAP spots are usually in less competitive specialties/programs like Internal medicine or family medicine or pediatrics or programs in more rural/undesirable areas. Otherwise these students would graduate without a job. And it would be harder for them to match in the next cycle and so on. Either way it sucks.

Last edited:
Just got the continued interest email from DMU. Did anyone else get this earlier in the cycle and know how long it usually takes after receiving this email to get an II?

Just got the continued interest email from DMU. Did anyone else get this earlier in the cycle and know how long it usually takes after receiving this email to get an II?

Also received this email yesterday and wondering the same thing

Accepted just now OOS! 11/10 group session

Reactions: 6 users
I have received that email twice now (on 9/8 and 12/8) and have yet to get an II.

Yes, I got the continued interest email too. I withdrew my app due to acceptances other places. I hope that that someone else who needed a spot gets it! :)

Last edited:
DMU's deposit is not $750. It is $750x2, the second part is due is april i think
But paying 750 vs 1500 upfront is way better. Less money wasted if you get an A somewhere better (as long as it is before April).
Also, on April 15th, NYITCOM requires its first tuition downpayment. They already want tuition in April! Wanted to add that to the convo.

Can someone remind me if they take update letters? I was a part of the 11/17 group session and they said to wait 6-8 weeks for a decision, but I was going to send an update letter since I haven't heard anything yet.

Hi, any current DMU students that I can speak with about the school's curriculum, pros/cons, programs that they offer, etc??

Just got the A via text today. Group session was 11/10. I quite literally started rambling before the recording started for a question, then realized it it started and had to start from the beginning again LMAO. You'll be fine!

Just got the A via text today. Group session was 11/10. I quite literally started rambling before the recording started for a question, then realized it it started and had to start from the beginning again LMAO. You'll be fine!
Literally same! Just got the text too lol

• Haha
congrats btw!

Got the A today and definitely thought I bombed the interview as well

Can anyone tell me the schedule for admitted students visit day? They said an email would be sent out the week of, but I would like to plan now since it’s two days

Can anyone tell me the schedule for admitted students visit day? They said an email would be sent out the week of, but I would like to plan now since it’s two days
My daughter is flying the 8th, staying in a hotel by downtown
She said is the 9th and 10th

Are scholarships at this school given based on our application to the school or is there a separate application process?

A little late but I got accepted on the 11th! 66.1 Lizzy M, interviewed on November 11th. I will probably withdraw my acceptance because its 12 hours away, its more expensive than my other option, and I have free housing set up for my other offer, but DMU is an incredible school <3

Reactions: 2 users
Got an email saying my app is still under review!