2023-2024 Hackensack Meridian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone been accepted prior to attending the info sessions? Or are these required before a decision is released?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone been accepted prior to attending the info sessions? Or are these required before a decision is released?
I never attended tbh. Just the admissions day event and my interview and I got accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
I know it’s weird haha but it said this in my interview invite: “Additional informational sessions with Office of Student Affairs and Wellness, and Office of Student Financial Services are held monthly to review additional HMSOM program details and are required.”

I saw the required and just signed up for immediately but I got confused after too cuz it said we encourage you to join us after which sounds optional lol!
“Additional informational sessions with Office of Student Affairs and Wellness, and Office of Student Financial Services are held monthly to review additional HMSOM program details. These events are opportunities for you to learn more about the school of medicine and meet members of our team. In addition to the virtual sessions, we also encourage you to join us in person for an I.H.S Campus Tour.”
That’s odd, this is what my II email said about them. When did you get yours?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
“Additional informational sessions with Office of Student Affairs and Wellness, and Office of Student Financial Services are held monthly to review additional HMSOM program details. These events are opportunities for you to learn more about the school of medicine and meet members of our team. In addition to the virtual sessions, we also encourage you to join us in person for an I.H.S Campus Tour.”
+1 just got this email today after getting my II 2/19.

"Additional informational sessions with Office of Student Affairs and Wellness, and Office of Student Financial Services are held monthly to review additional HMSOM program details and are required. These events are opportunities for you to learn more about the school of medicine and meet members of our team. In addition to the virtual sessions, we also encourage you to join us in person for an I.H.S Campus Tour."

My II from November. Bolding was not present in original email, I added it to draw attention.

"Additional informational sessions with Office of Student Affairs and Wellness, and Office of Student Financial Services are held monthly to review additional HMSOM program details and are required. These events are opportunities for you to learn more about the school of medicine and meet members of our team. In addition to the virtual sessions, we also encourage you to join us in person for an I.H.S Campus Tour."

My II from November. Bolding was not present in original email, I added it to draw attention.
Interesting, we seem to have gotten different emails. None of mine say are required. I got my II early October, maybe they changed it? I’m very stressed now lol
Maybe this is why I haven’t heard back post II?? Did anyone else not attend

Interesting, we seem to have gotten different emails. None of mine say are required. I got my II early October, maybe they changed it? I’m very stressed now lol
My II never said required (interviewed 10/6/23), I did not attend anything but the admissions day event and my interview, and I got accepted this week. I think it’s a verbiage they changed since then. I got an email about the events today and nothing in my email says it’s required still, which is good cause I’m not taking off of work for 3+days total for them

I just went back through my emails and I had two different emails - one was the Admissions Day Invitation which had what I posted above. Another was the Admissions Day Event Confirmation, which was after confirming my interview, and that did not have the "and are required" like you posted. Maybe try double-checking that?

Regardless, seems like at least one person got an A without going to the Student Affairs/Financial Aid session.

My II never said required (interviewed 10/6/23), I did not attend anything but the admissions day event and my interview, and I got accepted this week. I think it’s a verbiage they changed since then. I got an email about the events today and nothing in my email says it’s required still, which is good cause I’m not taking off of work for 3+days total for them
I had two interviews, and none of the emails sent to me indicated that these two events were required. Is anyone else a little confused 😅

I just went back through my emails and I had two different emails - one was the Admissions Day Invitation which had what I posted above. Another was the Admissions Day Event Confirmation, which was after confirming my interview, and that did not have the "and are required" like you posted. Maybe try double-checking that?

Regardless, seems like at least one person got an A without going to the Student Affairs/Financial Aid session.
I just went through all emails I got from Hackensack and none have the “and are required” portion of the sentence.
I’m so confused 🫠

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you (or anyone else) figure out if clicking the accept button is binding?
It does say deposit is refundable to that date in April. So I’m assuming not tbh but not sure. Hope someone has a more concrete answer before I accept

IS WL today, interviewed 1/9 🙄 this came a few hours after I emailed them asking for clarification on the admissions day events

• Care
WL today after attending info session. Can’t help but wonder if I was not “complete” bc of that. Interviewed months ago

My II was from 1/26! It said exactly what I quoted like someone else previously said! I am suppperrr curious now why we had different verbiage. I also emailed them regarding the additional email saying their last 2 info sessions were today and in 2 weeks but I haven't gotten a decision yet like some of the other individuals who have heard today. This makes me SOOO nervous ngl!!! I interviewed this month anyways so I would even feel bad hearing back before whoever interviewed before me...

Did you attend the other info sessions?
i attended one when I first interviewed (mid October) and then attended one today honestly just to show continued interest in the school.

IS WL today, interviewed 1/9 🙄 this came a few hours after I emailed them asking for clarification on the admissions day events
So sorry this happened to you!! I also emailed for clarification but got nothing back besides them saying to disregard if I had already attended the events. Crossing my fingers for you if HMSOM is where you'd like to go :)

• Care
Either way three days total of our time when other schools did it all in one day is frustrating. I’ll give them a call tomorrow I guess

Reactions: 2 users
Either way three days total of our time when other schools did it all in one day is frustrating. I’ll give them a call tomorrow I guess
I completely understand!!! If you do call them let us know what goes on! Crossing my fingers for everyone who is intent on going to HMSOM that we all get in!! And if anyone wants to chat more feel free to PM :)

Yeah I’m not loving the communication from this school. the whole process has been really confusing and extended as compared to other places I’ve interviewed. Makes me worried about how the whole school is run

So what I’m hearing is I really have to wait till 3/18 and wake up at 7:00 Am pacific to get an answer lmao

Yeah I’m not loving the communication from this school. the whole process has been really confusing and extended as compared to other places I’ve interviewed. Makes me worried about how the whole school is run
The only thing I have to say about this is you're totally entitled to feel this way!! You have every right to be respected by the schools you're interested in and applying to. I hate that some of these schools waste our time when we apply, but I don't personally think that's what HMSOM is trying to do. We all have to remember it's a relatively new school so their process is unfortunately not what we'd like it to be. I am certainly biased because HMSOM is my top choice school but I think that the students wouldn't tell us they liked the school so much if they didn't have a great educational experience. I think they just really need to do an overhaul on their admissions process (ALSO: they just added duet this year too so it might be more difficult for them to have that to consider as well in our admissions packages). BEST luck to all of us in the current waiting pool for decisions!!!! <3

So sorry this happened to you!! I also emailed for clarification but got nothing back besides them saying to disregard if I had already attended the events. Crossing my fingers for you if HMSOM is where you'd like to go :)
Thank you❤️ crossing my fingers for you as well!

I completely understand!!! If you do call them let us know what goes on! Crossing my fingers for everyone who is intent on going to HMSOM that we all get in!! And if anyone wants to chat more feel free to PM :)
four if you count the student session though I don’t think that one is mandatory?

Yup. I’m really turned off. Unfortunate since everything they said at admissions day really resonated with me.

Got the call to schedule my interview today! II received 2/19 and the person had multiple options for next week and the week after. They called from a 201 number just before 5pm EST.

I'll add another datapoint to this info session mess: in my original 2/19 II, I did get the "and are required" part. When I confirmed my II, the confirmation email did say the student affairs session was encouraged, but didn't explicitly say required.

I did get, however, an email today about how there's one final student affairs info session on 3/13. It said "If you have not already joined one of these sessions, please register for the event."

I'm not sure about anyone else but from the communication I've gotten, I'm playing it safe by attending the student affairs session. I intend on going to the admissions day and interview (duh), the student affairs session, and the student Q+A (although I don't think the last is mandatory- my interview is just on the same day and I figured I may as well attend both). I hope this helps!

Yup. I’m really turned off. Unfortunate since everything they said at admissions day really resonated with me.
I think they have great admissions presenters but I don’t think it translates to the rest of their staff. I remember talking to a few faculty at the open house and my interviewer and I didn’t see that same passion reflect in them. Obv don’t want to make too many premature judgements but this is being run rlly poorly

Yes. I’m sure there’s WL movement. Unless I get significant aid, I will be declining my A
same here. I think a lot of people tend to go to more established schools. My friend also got it, but turned down his A already. Really hoping for good WL movement for all those who want to go ♥️

same here. I think a lot of people tend to go to more established schools. My friend also got it, but turned down his A already. Really hoping for good WL movement for all those who want to go ♥️
70k tuition is a big ask. I like their 3 year program idea, but they don’t have ortho as an option so not really a benefit to me

Does anyone know how late Hackensack typically interviews through? It’s a school I’d love to go to but I haven’t heard anything since submitting my secondary (not promising ik). Just holding out some (likely false) hope since they’re known to interview late

So with all of the WLs, do we think they filled the class and are now just looking to R or WL the rest of the interviewees?

Finally heard back after October interview. IS WL. will be withdrawing
Didn’t get a chance to call them to ask if those sessions are in fact required or not before I got the decision, but maybe they’re not since I got one without attending. Best of luck everyone!

70k tuition is a big ask. I like their 3 year program idea, but they don’t have ortho as an option so not really a benefit to me
I definitely agree. I’m nervous because I wanted to go here for peds but I would also only consider going here if they gave me a good bit of financial assistance. Like they went over estimated total costs (without staying with parents) to be 120k a year during the admissions sessions for all costs and that’s just too much.