2023-2024 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Third year here at Howard. Hang in there yall. They can be a bit slow. If you have any questions, lmk

When in the cycle did you receive interview?

Members don't see this ad.

What's the vibe really like at Howard? You like it there or nah?
I enjoy it. I think it can be frustrating dealing with admin but I don’t think it’s exclusive to Howard just more exacerbated. My major gripe for the first two years was the curriculum was not tailored to studying for the boards. I memorized a bunch of facts and not really how to study for step. But that’s pretty much it for me. I like the people. No matter who you are, or what you’re into there’s a someone or group you’ll connect with but still feel like you belong as a whole. I also like research and being close to NIH was great

Reactions: 9 users
I enjoy it. I think it can be frustrating dealing with admin but I don’t think it’s exclusive to Howard just more exacerbated. My major gripe for the first two years was the curriculum was not tailored to studying for the boards. I memorized a bunch of facts and not really how to study for step. But that’s pretty much it for me. I like the people. No matter who you are, or what you’re into there’s a someone or group you’ll connect with but still feel like you belong as a whole. I also like research and being close to NIH was great
How long did you get to study for boards? Did it feel like you were starting from scratch since the first two years weren't tailored to it?

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did you get to study for boards? Did it feel like you were starting from scratch since the first two years weren't tailored to it?
Not from scratch but maybe at 75%. Once I got through the fluff and down to what’s important I was able to pass practice exams easily. And we were given two months. That may not seem like a lot but it’s plenty

Reactions: 1 users
hey guys, I interviewed this February and they told us..
- there are still ALOT of interviews slots to give out! They have not finished. However, they will be out of office during spring break (March 2nd to March 10th) and *much slower* during match week (March 11 - March 15th). After that they'll get back into the office.
- She didn't say anything about the class seats being filled (which I actually saw some people say in this forum awhile ago), but kept saying not to worry at all if you receive a waitlist. She said if you get waitlisted..you got accepted. The only issue is the seats. It seems like it only goes up after your interview! Also, due to traffic rules - there will be alot more spaces opening up from (March 15 - late April), sooo more reason to be optimistic!
- Send in your update letters (it may get sent to spam but they check spam).
- Also a tip for anyone interviewing here..do not stress out! Everyone is soo nice, all the questions my interviewer asked me was to just get to know me as a person
- ALSO..maybe most of you know this but they said they have finished reviewing all applications. theyre just sending out interviews invites now
- They took the time to congratulate all of us for getting an interview invite (like twice lol) which made me feel good. SO DONT LISTEN TO ALL THE PPL WHO ARE LIKE (theres no point if you get an interview post-january, youll just get waitlisted). like please be excited for yourself and stay optimistic that you will get your acceptance lol

• Love
Reactions: 30 users
- there are still ALOT of interviews slots to give out! They have not finished. However, they will be out of office during spring break (March 2nd to March 10th) and *much slower* during match week (March 11 - March 15th). After that they'll get back into the office.
- She didn't say anything about the class seats being filled (which I actually saw some people say in this forum awhile ago), but kept saying not to worry at all if you receive a waitlist. She said if you get waitlisted..you got accepted. The only issue is the seats. It seems like it only goes up after your interview! Also, due to traffic rules - there will be alot more spaces opening up from (March 15 - late April), sooo more reason to be optimistic!
- Also a tip for anyone interviewing here..do not stress out! Everyone is soo nice, all the questions my interviewer asked me was to just get to know me as a person
- ALSO..maybe most of you know this but they said they have finished reviewing all applications. theyre just sending out interviews invites now
- They took the time to congratulate all of us for getting an interview invite (like twice lol) which made me feel good. SO DONT LISTEN TO ALL THE PPL WHO ARE LIKE (theres no point if you get an interview post-january, youll just get waitlisted). like please be excited for yourself and stay optimistic that you will get your acceptance lol
Do you think they prioritize the higher stat applications first?

Thank you so much for this. 💛

Reactions: 1 user
Omg. I love you

Reactions: 3 users
My app was reviewed back in December 1. I have not heard back from them since. Would send in an update letter (new clinical experience) help my chance getting an II?

Thank you for this info - I sent an update letter early Feb but haven't received confirmation. I sent a follow up email a week later to confirm if they have received it and still nothing. Not sure what to do at this point as they don't attend their phone lines :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for this info - I sent an update letter early Feb but haven't received confirmation. I sent a follow up email a week later to confirm if they have received it and still nothing. Not sure what to do at this point as they don't attend their phone lines :/
np! email [email protected] , shes the director of admissions. she answers all her emails and will help assist you.

My app was reviewed back in December 1. I have not heard back from them since. Would send in an update letter (new clinical experience) help my chance getting an II?
idk but it definitely wont hurt you!! go ahead and send it in if you have new experiences that youve learned from. they said theyre still handing out interview invites so you can still get one.

idk but it definitely wont hurt you!! go ahead and send it in if you have new experiences that youve learned from. they said theyre still handing out interview invites so you can still get one.
should I send my update letter to celia.williamsfowl or just the general hucmadmission email?

I wonder if anything of substance will be said at this last first friday.. according to their email official R begin rolling out in march

I wonder if anything of substance will be said at this last first friday.. according to their email official R begin rolling out in march
please keep us updating on anything important they mention in first friday 💛

Do you think they prioritize the higher stat applications first?
I do feel like they do some type of prioritization maybe not GPA and MCAT stats, but maybe mission alignment. It also seems like they go mostly in order of when application is considered complete.

Did you find it was easy to get research at the NIH as a Howard Medical Student? What's the process generally like?

is it safe to assume that no decisions will come out today since it’s first friday?

interviews go until end of 1st week of April (currently watching the First Friday)

april interview slots aren’t filled yet, hope this gives some peace of mind and last batch of II go out mid-march
Meaning that there’s only one more batch coming out and it goes out in mid March?

Did you find it was easy to get research at the NIH as a Howard Medical Student? What's the process generally like?
There’s a bit of a pipeline. NIH actually comes to talk to you as a first year and they have a list of PIs who are looking for students. You contact them and most of my friends got spots. There are also many other research spots in the area so there will never be a lack of that’s what you’re going for

just got an interview invite about 15 minutes ago. i am out of state currently but from the area with strong ties as my family still lives there

Reactions: 7 users
just got an interview invite about 15 minutes ago. i am out of state currently but from the area with strong ties as my family still lives there
What dates were available for you to choose from?

International II received today! Good luck to everyone interviewing :)
congrats! by international do you mean Canadian? Asking coz I am classified as international too. would you kindly share your stats please (you can DM me if you like). Thanks

congrats! by international do you mean Canadian? Asking coz I am classified as international too. would you kindly share your stats please (you can DM me if you like). Thanks
Thank you! Not Canadian, just from a regular international country. LM Score 75.

Here i was thinking howard blessed me with an interview but its some nonsense about being closed for break smh

Reactions: 23 users
they said during my interview that i would hear back on about march 4… should i be expected to wait another week for a decision since they’re now on break? if so that’s kind of irritating