2023-2024 Johns Hopkins

Started by chilly_md
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I've been having issues trying to submit payment for the secondary. Is anyone else having that issue?

Can I ask what day you submitted / paid the fee?
Most likely a system/software issue. If you look at other threads on here, USF and Cornell which use the same system/software are also having payment issues.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm also getting a "payment declined" notification when I go to submit. Any ideas what made it eventually start working for you guys? I've tried multiple browsers, but no luck.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but my 'payment' is just a fee waiver from the fee assistance program.
 
I got an email a few minutes ago saying that they received my secondary application (even though I submitted last week). They also said that I will "receive an e-mail when [my] application is complete." Did anyone else get this email?
 
I got an email a few minutes ago saying that they received my secondary application (even though I submitted last week). They also said that I will "receive an e-mail when [my] application is complete." Did anyone else get this email?
I did too and I also submitted last week! Seems like their portal is having some issues with payment and stuff so maybe it just took a while to process our submissions
 
I'm also getting a "payment declined" notification when I go to submit. Any ideas what made it eventually start working for you guys? I've tried multiple browsers, but no luck.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but my 'payment' is just a fee waiver from the fee assistance program.
I was able to submit fine, but I am not using the fee assistance program.
 
Does the adversity essay need to be different from our challenge essay? Adversity makes me think it needs to be a larger/more personal issue but curious to hear other thoughts!
 
I paid with submission and then panic paid the fee tab which finally made my app show as completed :/ my bank statement definitely shows that I paid twice, but I don't want to be negatively affected by asking for a refund
 
I paid with submission and then panic paid the fee tab which finally made my app show as completed :/ my bank statement definitely shows that I paid twice, but I don't want to be negatively affected by asking for a refund
Definitely email/call them to explain, in no circumstance should you have to pay the fee twice and there's no chance that they will hold a refund request against you.
 
In reference to this question: "Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment."

I don't have a particular specialty that I feel strongly enough about to write about, but I do feel strongly about going into academic medicine. Would that be appropriate to talk about for this essay? I'm just not sure if academic medicine qualifies as an "area of medicine" because it seems like they're asking about a specialty.
 
In reference to this question: "Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment."

I don't have a particular specialty that I feel strongly enough about to write about, but I do feel strongly about going into academic medicine. Would that be appropriate to talk about for this essay? I'm just not sure if academic medicine qualifies as an "area of medicine" because it seems like they're asking about a specialty.
I'm pretty sure this is their version of the "What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career (Private Practice, Academic Medicine, Public Health, Health Care Administration, Health Policy, or Other)?" question. This one is pasted from USF and I believe Stanford also explicitly states the same things in their version of this question
 
I'm pretty sure this is their version of the "What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career (Private Practice, Academic Medicine, Public Health, Health Care Administration, Health Policy, or Other)?" question. This one is pasted from USF and I believe Stanford also explicitly states the same things in their version of this question
Oops I spoke about specialties I was interested in 🤣
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When it asks if you have ever "discontinued attendance" from any university, if I have transferred from one college to another, does this mean I need to mark "yes"?
 
For the question "Briefly describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from the experience?", should we talk about a single incident in our lives? Or can it be like the diversity essay where we talk about something continuous?
 
Oops I spoke about specialties I was interested in 🤣
I literally wrote about derm and plastics (whoops?). Wouldn't recommend boxing yourself in too early, but if you have a defined interest in a certain specialty or practice style (ex: global health, rural care, translational med, etc.) it can be a great springboard for conversation.

Got paired with a resident interviewer who was going into ENT, had a great convo. Ended up doing a bunch of ENT facial plastics research at Hop. Now a plastics resident!
 
For "Briefly describe your single, most rewarding experience. Feel free to refer to an experience previously described in your AMCAS application. (2500 characters)"

Would it be too superficial to talk about helping one of my close friends (someone I consider a sister) get into college as a first-generation student?
 
For "Briefly describe your single, most rewarding experience. Feel free to refer to an experience previously described in your AMCAS application. (2500 characters)"

Would it be too superficial to talk about helping one of my close friends (someone I consider a sister) get into college as a first-generation student?
I don't think so. That sounds like a wonderful thing to talk about.
 
Could someone kindly point me to where we upload our photo?

Also I ended up paying twice and see two separate transactions under payment history: "Secondary Application Fee" and "Supplemental Application Payment" (both $100). Did anyone else have this happen to them, and if so did you email admissions about it?
I emailed them. They kindly refunded me.
 
when I shrunk my photo to the 3x3 version, it looks super blurry when zoomed in. is that okay? did people just change the size to 288 px x 288 px?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
International. Verified 7/26. Secondary 7/31. Weird: I don’t think JHU prescreens? Why are we having a toss-up with the receiving dates
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad