2023-2024 Kentucky

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Kentucky Secondary Prompts (Interviews are in person this year)

1. Why have you chosen to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine? (1500 char)

2. The University of Kentucky College of Medicine's (UKCOM) mission statement promotes a diverse and inclusive environment that provides excellence in education, equitable health care, and transformative research to improve the health and wellness of Kentuckians and beyond. Please describe how your past experiences or future plans contribute to enriching and enhancing the learning environment at UKCOM. (1500 char)

3. If you are a non Kentucky resident, you are required to elaborate on your Kentucky ties if applicable (personal, familial e.g.) (700 char)

4. UKCOM provides MD programs at four campuses including the Lexington Campus, the Morehead Campus (Rural Physician Leadership Program), the Bowling Green Campus, and the Northern Kentucky Campus. You will apply to one of the four UK College of Medicine campuses. Please indicate your campus choice. Please elaborate on why this is your preferred campus. (700 char)

5.What competencies and qualities do you feel a physician should possess? (1500 char)

6. Describe a personal activity involving advocacy and/or community service that has impacted your personal values about delivering equitable patient care. (2000 char)

7. Describe an experience or situation which made you feel grateful? (1500 char)

8. It is impossible to have predicted the drastic impact caused by the novel coronavirus identified as COVID-19. Describe how this has impacted your social interactions, connections with peers, and perception of teamwork. (1500 char)

9. Please share unique, personally important, and/or challenging facts in your life and/or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine. (2500 char)

10. Describe a situation where you were not in the majority. (1500 char)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Matriculating here this July :) Feel free to DM or tag with questions

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's really odd. Last year's thread looks like they were sent out immediately after verification.
I think it says somewhere on their website that they will send secondaries to ED candidates the week of July 19th. Which means anytime now I guess!

Yeah, here you go. I’m hoping this is true because I haven’t heard anything from them yet 😅

“Secondary Application Deadline | NOTE: Secondary Application emails will be sent beginning the week of July 19.”
I'm RD but I figure they'll send all the secondaries at the same time and review ED first. I'm glad they took their time to send these though cause I've had plenty of time to polish these essays to submit right when I get the secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
  • Why have you chosen to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine? (1500 char)
  • The University of Kentucky College of Medicine's (UKCOM) mission statement promotes a diverse and inclusive environment that provides excellence in education, equitable health care, and transformative research to improve the health and wellness of Kentuckians and beyond. Please describe how your past experiences or future plans contribute to enriching and enhancing the learning environment at UKCOM. (1500 char)
  • If you are a non Kentucky resident, you are required to elaborate on your Kentucky ties if applicable (personal, familial e.g.) (700 char)
  • UKCOM provides MD programs at four campuses including the Lexington Campus, the Morehead Campus (Rural Physician Leadership Program), the Bowling Green Campus, and the Northern Kentucky Campus. You will apply to one of the four UK College of Medicine campuses. Please indicate your campus choice. Please elaborate on why this is your preferred campus. (700 char)
  • What competencies and qualities do you feel a physician should possess? (1500 char)
  • Describe a personal activity involving advocacy and/or community service that has impacted your personal values about delivering equitable patient care. (2000 char)
  • Describe an experience or situation which made you feel grateful? (1500 char)
  • It is impossible to have predicted the drastic impact caused by the novel coronavirus identified as COVID-19. Describe how this has impacted your social interactions, connections with peers, and perception of teamwork. (1500 char)
  • Please share unique, personally important, and/or challenging facts in your life and/or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine. (2500 char)
  • Describe a situation where you were not in the majority. (1500 char)

@chilly_md

Reactions: 2 users
anyone not received a secondary? i emailed them on wednesday out of curiosity and they said by the end of the week but I didn't get one yet

Yes I am IS. Not everyone receives one though, I've known a few people who got pre secondary R's.
Wow really? I've heard Kentucky is very friendly to in-state applicants. My premed advisor has even got so far as to say the majority of UK students applying get an interview (which I highly doubt is true)

Anyone get verified 7/14 and not get a secondary yet? Im nervous I got screened out. IS, RD

I was verified on 7/19 and I still have not received a secondary. I’m applying regular decision. Is emailing them a bad idea? I went to UK for undergrad and a Master’s program
I was verified day 1 and haven't gotten it yet. I think they're just being slow. I emailed last week and they said probably by the end of that week but here we are, no secondary yet. Slightly annoyed lol.

I was verified day 1 and haven't gotten it yet. I think they're just being slow. I emailed last week and they said probably by the end of that week but here we are, no secondary yet. Slightly annoyed lol.
Do you know if they notify applicants of pre-secondary rejections?

If anyone has received an II, could you please let us know if you are ED or RD. Thanks!

Has anyone else received an interview invite or have insight as to when they will be sent out?

Has anyone else received an interview invite or have insight as to when they will be sent out?
I have friends who did ED who have their interviews coming up soon, and others who were rejected pre-secondary. My guess is that it will be after they're done with the ED interviews. I wouldn't worry though. Kentucky seems like they're lagging behind on everything this year.