2023-2024 Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what do people think waitlist movement will look like??

Members don't see this ad.

what do people think waitlist movement will look like??
Sorry to share that it might be a little irregular since they pushed their 'Plan to Enroll' date back from April 30 to May 31st due to the FAFSA delay and late roll out of financial aid packages. So it might take them a little longer to get a headcount of the incoming class and start WL movement. Hard to say for sure ofc how that will effect the timeline, it's just an assumption on my part.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to share that it might be a little irregular since they pushed their 'Plan to Enroll' date back from April 30 to May 31st due to the FAFSA delay and late roll out of financial aid packages. So it might take them a little longer to get a headcount of the incoming class and start WL movement. Hard to say for sure ofc how that will effect the timeline, it's just an assumption on my part.
Oh wow I did not realize this thank you. ... UMSOM is my only waitlist currently and I do not have other schools .... (IS, interviewed late October, Lizzy M 70)

Members don't see this ad :)
How do people consider the factor of grading versus pass/fail in choosing a med school?

How do people consider the factor of grading versus pass/fail in choosing a med school?
If they weren't my state school within walking distance then I probably wouldn't have applied. Feeling really torn about where to go primarily because of that issue. Part of me is hoping they'll announce they're going P/F at the white coat ceremony or something. Current students made it sound like they anticipate that transition happening sometime in the next couple years. No idea why they are holding out. A lot of folks play it down but there's no denying that P/F means lower stress and more time for ECs like research.

If they weren't my state school within walking distance then I probably wouldn't have applied. Feeling really torn about where to go primarily because of that issue. Part of me is hoping they'll announce they're going P/F at the white coat ceremony or something. Current students made it sound like they anticipate that transition happening sometime in the next couple years. No idea why they are holding out. A lot of folks play it down but there's no denying that P/F means lower stress and more time for ECs like research.
A current student told me the transition wouldn’t be happening for us, but for perhaps the following year. Same for the transition to more NBME style exams. Will probably be choosing another school for these reasons precisely

Reactions: 2 users
Any potential petition that can change their mind? Where and how can this be done without any potential retaliation

Any potential petition that can change their mind? Where and how can this be done without any potential retaliation
As nice as that would be I don’t think it’s realistic. Transitions like that take time and planning and can’t be done overnight. It sounds like they’ve already started the process so there’s not much else to be done. Not ideal for a new class to start a four year journey with conflict either.

I went on the tour and they mentioned if you started with a tiered grading system, you will have it for 4 years even if they make the transition to P/F for the next cohort of students.

• Sad