2023-2024 NYU - Long Island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @runningwild_ for showing us the link to the questions for this year!

2023-2024 NYU - Long Island Secondary Essay Prompts (400 words each response)

QUESTION 1

NYULISOM seeks to admit highly motivated candidates whose experiences and professional goals directly align with our primary care mission and demonstrate a commitment to a future career as a general practitioner in fields of medicine that are anchored in the principles of primary care and address the growing physician workforce shortages in specific medical disciplines.
To advance this mission, acceptance to NYULISOM is paired with the offer of a directed-pathway to residency into one of four designated residency programs at NYU Langone Hospital – Long Island.
  • Internal Medicine
  • Pediatrics
  • Obstetrics & Gynecology
  • General Surgery
Please indicate the specific residency track for which you wish to be considered and explain the reason(s) for your choice, including those experiences listed on your AMCAS application that have confirmed your decision to pursue this field of medicine in the context of primary care. If applicable, please also discuss any other factors –such as your personal journey, academic interests or activities not listed on your application— that have influenced your choice.

QUESTION 2
Please provide the response that applies to you:
  • If you are still in school, please tell us your planned academic, extracurricular, research, community service and/or work activities for the application cycle.
  • If you have graduated from college, please tell us what you have been doing since that time up until the present and your reasons for doing so. Please be sure to account for all your time since graduating.

QUESTION 3
(Optional) Please comment on any significant fluctuations in your academic record or inconsistencies in your MCAT score; if you took a leave of absence for any reason during college; or any application irregularities that you feel would be helpful for the admissions committee to consider when conducting its holistic review of your credentials.

QUESTION 4
(Optional) Please feel free to share any other information that you have not already included in your AMCAS application or secondary responses that you believe would be relevant for the admissions committee to know about.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I found the link to the 2024 NYU-LI Application questions on their admissions website. Good luck everyone!
@chilly_md

2024 Secondary Application Questions
The NYULISOM secondary application is designed to enable the admissions committee to learn more about you and how your experiences and professional goals align with our school’s mission. All responses have a 350 word limit and must be submitted through the NYULIOSM application portal. To assure a timely review of your full credentials, you are encouraged to submit your secondary application as early as possible. A full listing of the 2024 application cycle deadlines are posted on the school’s website.

QUESTION 1
NYULISOM seeks to admit highly motivated candidates whose experiences and professional goals directly align with our primary care mission and demonstrate a commitment to a future career as a general practitioner in fields of medicine that are anchored in the principles of primary care and address the growing physician workforce shortages in specific medical disciplines.
To advance this mission, acceptance to NYULISOM is paired with the offer of a directed-pathway to residency into one of four designated residency programs at NYU Langone Hospital – Long Island.
 Internal Medicine
 Pediatrics
 Obstetrics & Gynecology
 General Surgery
Please indicate the specific residency track for which you wish to be considered and explain the reason(s) for your choice, including those experiences listed on your AMCAS application that have confirmed your decision to pursue this field of medicine in the context of primary care. If applicable, please also discuss any other factors –such as your personal journey, academic interests or activities not listed on your application— that have influenced your choice.

QUESTION 2
Please provide the response that applies to you:
 If you are still in school, please tell us your planned academic, extracurricular, research, community service and/or work activities for the application cycle.
 If you have graduated from college, please tell us what you have been doing since that time up until the present and your reasons for doing so. Please be sure to account for all your time since graduating.

QUESTION 3
(Optional) Please comment on any significant fluctuations in your academic record or inconsistencies in your MCAT score; if you took a leave of absence for any reason during college; or any application irregularities that you feel would be helpful for the admissions committee to consider when conducting its holistic review of your credentials.

QUESTION 4
(Optional) Please feel free to share any other information that you have not already included in your AMCAS application or secondary responses that you believe would be relevant for the admissions committee to know about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody else having trouble inputting their essays into the portal? Mine keeps showing a loading screen everytime I try to save an essay.

The word count limit for each entry is set to 400, but the initial instructions indicate a 350 word limit. Do you think we should still limit it to 350, even though the text boxes appear to accept 400 words?

The word count limit for each entry is set to 400, but the initial instructions indicate a 350 word limit. Do you think we should still limit it to 350, even though the text boxes appear to accept 400 words?

I would go for 350. Also, did you essays save? I’m still having trouble having my essays being saved :/

For the activities question, are we supposed to be more objective and list things out? Or do we hone in on a certain part of our activities and write another narrative-like essay? (I'd prefer the former clearly lol)

Anyone else having trouble saving progress for the first prompt?

Edit: Fixed, was able to save after changing "%" to percent. Seems that the system does not recognize symbols.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else having trouble saving progress for the first prompt?

Edit: Fixed, was able to save after changing "%" to percent. Seems that the system does not recognize symbols.
+1 wanted to confirm I had the same problem with "%" symbol. Once I changed it, I was able to save it

Question: If I am interested in an IM subspecialty, should I be applying here and would it be advisable to write about that in the first essay? I'm not really sure if they count all IM subspecialties as being within their primary care mission... Would appreciate thoughts. Thanks!

Question: If I am interested in an IM subspecialty, should I be applying here and would it be advisable to write about that in the first essay? I'm not really sure if they count all IM subspecialties as being within their primary care mission... Would appreciate thoughts. Thanks!
personally, i'm writing specifically about primary care and my interests in urban/public health and health policy. it's a bit hard tbh to stretch that idea out, but i'm not gonna talk about specialties much.

personally, i'm writing specifically about primary care and my interests in urban/public health and health policy. it's a bit hard tbh to stretch that idea out, but i'm not gonna talk about specialties much.
I did something similar, I am interested in hem/onc but didn't mention it as I know things could change as I'm exposed to subspecialties in med school. I didn't want to sound like I wasn't open to this exploration. Instead I wrote about my interests in continuing to work with underserved patients, focusing on equitable access to care, and how that aligns with my interest in pursuing internal medicine.

Did anyone see that they changed the word limit from 350 to 400? On the application, it says "All responses have a 400 word limit".

Ugh. Can another person confirm before I change the top post?
Can confirm they've updated the word limit from 350 to 400. The text boxes have always allowed for 400 too, so I think they realized that their instructions were incorrect.

Reactions: 3 users
I definitely did not struggle to trim everything down to 350 before going to the portal and realizing... :bigtears:
I did this exact same thing so I feel your pain 😭

It says on MSAR that they will start sending interview invites on Sept 1, 2023. I don't know if it is all at once or just a bunch over time. But all we can do is be patient...

Yeah this is really one of those "set it and forget it" type of schools. It's like betting the Jets to win the AFC east this season. If it happens, great. If not, I wasn't really expecting it to happen either.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Are you guys using the optional Essay for a "Why NYU-LI essay?" I feel like it might be somewhat repetitive to what I already wrote but probably should do it, I'm just tired

Finished this secondary weeks ago but just got a reminder about it and realized I never pressed submit🫠 RIP to any slim chance I had here

lmao given they accept 24 out of 10,000+ applications, what’s the point in worrying

II just now! LM 70

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
II just now! IS, complete 7/21

Last edited:
IS II Complete 08/24 so grateful!

Last edited:
Can't believe it but II 9/6/2023 (just now). Earliest date is October 3rd, followed by 5th and 10th

OOS II!!! complete 7/13 lm 75

Did anyone receive an acknowledgement that their application was under review? I was complete 7/25...wondering how they order the applications they review...