2023-2024 NYU (Grossman)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Post II R, bottled it

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Post-II R, I expected it. Best of luck to everyone!

• Care
couldn't get my 10 acceptances fast enough to get a spot at NYU --> WL

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does a WL mean we won't hear back about movement until May? Can people get WL -> A before that time?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Does a WL mean we won't hear back about movement until May? Can people get WL -> A before that time?
Yes, people can get WL-> A before then. It all matters on what spot you were given in the WL (e.g.,1st or 20th) and when people who have an A drop their seat. Hypothetically, if someone with an A dropped it today and you were 1st on the WL, you may hear back within the month. Dean Rivera did say in the email that he will send out additional acceptance offers much earlier than May 3rd if spots open up sooner.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yes, people can get WL-> A before then. It all matters on what spot you were given in the WL (e.g.,1st or 20th) and when people who have an A drop their seat. Hypothetically, if someone with an A dropped it today and you were 1st on the WL, you may hear back within the month. Dean Rivera did say in the email that he will send out additional acceptance offers much earlier than May 3rd if spots open up sooner.
Is it a ranked waitlist? I thought NYU tended to match candidates.

From reading prev. threads, it said it was unranked and they match candidates... I wonder whose stunt double I am..

• Haha
Okay, actually, I thought all waitlists were ranked. Please disregard what I said then. I didn't know about ranked vs unranked waitlists. I don't know how their waitlist is structured. Sorry if I confused anyone, but it is still 100% possible to get an A before May.

wondering this too?
I think it means that if someone with an A declines their offer, then the school will try to give that offer to someone who is on the WL with a similar profile (for ex. a very research heavy background, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it means that if someone with an A declines their offer, then the school will try to give that offer to someone who is on the WL with a similar profile (for ex. a very research heavy background, etc.)
Do they consider demographic information?

Don't know the specifics of their process, of course. But in light of the recent SCOTUS decision, I don't think they would. They might be able to consider something like socioeconomic status, but as far as race/ethnicity, that would conflict with the current law.

• Sad
It's probably worth mentioning, if they consider economic status for their matching, I'd imagine that low-income applicants on the waitlist are much more likely to be accepted than middle or high income applicants on the waitlist. Because their low-income "matches"/counterparts who have been accepted at NYU are also going to be getting full-tuition aid at other T10 schools, and NYU being free isn't relevant anymore.

Anyone placed on hold? Just got an email saying my status is hold for potential interview until mid-March. I’m not optimistic about it cause well they criteria and amount of applications sent it’s vast. Just wanted to see if anyone else has cause it’s not a rejection just yet. My stats aren’t anywhere near those accepted so I guess I’m shocked that even placed on hold instead of a Rejection.

NYU now offers all its students the opportunity to graduate medical school in 3 years instead of the traditional 4. I was just wondering what are people's opinions on the advantages this offers as opposed to going to a higher ranked school with the usual 4 year curriculum. As in, in the long run is that one extra year worth foregoing an offer from a T5 (for example)?

A few thoughts:
What is NYU's rank? You are phrasing this like it is a bottom tier school where I was under the impression that it is a top school. Since it went tuition free NYU has been attracting the cream of the crop.

NYU touts this as a cost saving measure which clearly it is if you are otherwise on the hook for 4 years of living expenses. That could be an incentive to some cost-sensitive students.

Students in this program automatically match into NYU residencies, if they want to apply there. I suppose there are people who know they'd be thrilled to stay in NYC and train at NYU so knowing that it's guaranteed is nice. On the other hand, I know nothing of the training or its possible "toxicity" which could make it an empty promise as you might want to match anywhere than there. But knowing that you can finish in 3 years and don't need to impress a residence program could make the 3 year option appealing to some people who would be concerned about how it looks for match.

Last edited:
  • Love
Any impact on residency speciality selection?

I went through a traditional 4 year MD program. After the core clinical rotations in 3rd year, the fourth year curriculum was mainly geared towards prepping for the match. I spent a lot of time in the lab and did some electives and Sub-Is. It did help me prepare for internship/residency. But i don't think it was essential.

NYU now offers all its students the opportunity to graduate medical school in 3 years instead of the traditional 4. I was just wondering what are people's opinions on the advantages this offers as opposed to going to a higher ranked school with the usual 4 year curriculum. As in, in the long run is that one extra year worth foregoing an offer from a T5 (for example)?
Merging with the existing school specific thread

Got waitlisted on January 5th. Based on what Dean Rivera said on Interview Day regarding Letter of Interest/Intent timing, I am unsure if I should send an update letter hinting at interest or wait until April to send a strong Letter of Intent or do both. Any suggestions?

Got waitlisted on January 5th. Based on what Dean Rivera said on Interview Day regarding Letter of Interest/Intent timing, I am unsure if I should send an update letter hinting at interest or wait until April to send a strong Letter of Intent or do both. Any suggestions?
If I remember correctly, Rivera said letter of intent/update/etc. do nothing for you on the waitlist.

He said sometime in May, there will be a waitlist zoom call where he tells you, if you are still interested submit a LOI, so that if they decide to accept, they will only accept with an LOI. He justified that by saying he didn't want to break up any happy marriages, and the LOI after the zoom call shows you are still willing to leave your existing school.

Does anyone know how many people NYU waitlisted this cycle?
I feel like I remember Dean Rivera saying it's usually around 200 - 250, but I might not be remembering that correctly. Maybe someone else can recall better than I can.

I feel like I remember Dean Rivera saying it's usually around 200 - 250, but I might not be remembering that correctly. Maybe someone else can recall better than I can.
ah gotcha. just wondering cuz the waitlist email did say that this year's was smaller than past years

For the March 21st NYU MSTP visit, have they sent out a more detailed agenda or info on hotels?

congrats to everyone on the cycle! i’m currently a premed student at a state school oos, i wanted to ask for a advice on ways i could standout so i could possibly get an A.
I got the WL, but you can still DM me if you’d like. Totally understandable if you want to DM someone with an A

Anyone hear anything from WL yet?
Not yet, but likely anticipate an email with an invite to a webinar led by Dean Rivera in the next week or so, with the webinar being scheduled near the end of April. All the best to everyone on the WL, hopefully you all get A's here and elsewhere :)

Can someone please record the webinar tomorrow about the WL/provide a summary here? Not able to make it because of Passover, thanks so much!

Can someone please record the webinar tomorrow about the WL/provide a summary here? Not able to make it because of Passover, thanks so much!
I don't think we'll be allowed to record the webinar (they mentioned in the email that it won't be recorded) but happy to share a summary of key points!

• 92 MDs, 10+ MD/PhDs will be in this year’s class
  • 165-170 students on the waitlist (original intent was to have 200 or fewer on it)
  • 20 have withdrawn As and 100 have kept their As so far
  • More PTE than last year at the same time (~20% increase from last year)
  • NYU will only accept people once the number of held As drops below 92
  • Students will drop all but 1 A on April 30, expect waitlist movement after May 1: either May 1 in the afternoon or May 2
  • Dean Rivera estimates 75 students will remain PTE after Apr 30 (so ~17 students from the waitlist will join NYU’s class)
  • Expect 30-50 additional acceptance offers (of which some will decline)
  • Unusual for withdrawals/any more acceptances in June: 0, 1, or 2 maximum
  • Check your email! Notification only by email. 1 week to accept.
    • Email will include an invitation to Brightspace instance for accepted students
    • Lots of information about financial aid, student housing, health forms, and recordings of previous Zoom meetings will provided
  • Office hours on May 7
  • In-person campus event on Wed, May 8 (tentative)
  • What to do in the meantime?
    • Update letters are accepted but do not have a meaningful impact (unless there was a tremendous accomplishment)
    • LOI dated after Apr 23 should only be sent if you might be forced to drop waitlists to CTE on Apr 30
    • Send ANOTHER LOI if the previous one is dated before Apr 23 (you can just resend a copy of the earlier one with a new date )
    • Keep LOIs and update letters separate because the admissions committee does not review LOIs
  • Financial aid is minimum full tuition (FAFSA is still mandatory)
    • 2234 CSS profile code, 002785 FAFSA code
    • Submit CSS the same day as receiving an A
    • Financial aid offers will be made within ~2-3 days
  • The waitlist is not ranked! Everyone would be valued as a member of the class. I.e. they draw from the WL to keep a balanced class, e.g. geographic/gender diversity.
  • 3-year pathway open slots:
    • 5 people in this entering class have already taken spots
      • Both neurology slots are filled
      • 1 ortho taken (of 2)
      • 1 EM taken (of 2)
  • The WL will be whittled down ASAP, mostly rapidly when the class is filled to 92 students
  • Rs will likely start in mid-May, most will be complete by the end of May
  • CTE is June 17th for NYU
  • By mid to late June, the WL will be at 10-15 students
  • You can direct questions to [email protected]

• Love
One thing I'm a little confused about is I thought Dean Rivera said in a previous session that all students now do med school in 3 years at NYU, but then in yesterday's session he said it's only for students with the guaranteed residency spot?

• 92 MDs, 10+ MD/PhDs will be in this year’s class
  • 165-170 students on the waitlist (original intent was to have 200 or fewer on it)
  • 20 have withdrawn As and 100 have kept their As so far
  • More PTE than last year at the same time (~20% increase from last year)
  • NYU will only accept people once the number of held As drops below 92
  • Students will drop all but 1 A on April 30, expect waitlist movement after May 1: either May 1 in the afternoon or May 2
  • Dean Rivera estimates 75 students will remain PTE after Apr 30 (so ~17 students from the waitlist will join NYU’s class)
  • Expect 30-50 additional acceptance offers (of which some will decline)
  • Unusual for withdrawals/any more acceptances in June: 0, 1, or 2 maximum
  • Check your email! Notification only by email. 1 week to accept.
    • Email will include an invitation to Brightspace instance for accepted students
    • Lots of information about financial aid, student housing, health forms, and recordings of previous Zoom meetings will provided
  • Office hours on May 7
  • In-person campus event on Wed, May 8 (tentative)
  • What to do in the meantime?
    • Update letters are accepted but do not have a meaningful impact (unless there was a tremendous accomplishment)
    • LOI dated after Apr 23 should only be sent if you might be forced to drop waitlists to CTE on Apr 30
    • Send ANOTHER LOI if the previous one is dated before Apr 23 (you can just resend a copy of the earlier one with a new date )
    • Keep LOIs and update letters separate because the admissions committee does not review LOIs
  • Financial aid is minimum full tuition (FAFSA is still mandatory)
    • 2234 CSS profile code, 002785 FAFSA code
    • Submit CSS the same day as receiving an A
    • Financial aid offers will be made within ~2-3 days
  • The waitlist is not ranked! Everyone would be valued as a member of the class. I.e. they draw from the WL to keep a balanced class, e.g. geographic/gender diversity.
  • 3-year pathway open slots:
    • 5 people in this entering class have already taken spots
      • Both neurology slots are filled
      • 1 ortho taken (of 2)
      • 1 EM taken (of 2)
  • The WL will be whittled down ASAP, mostly rapidly when the class is filled to 92 students
  • Rs will likely start in mid-May, most will be complete by the end of May
  • CTE is June 17th for NYU
  • By mid to late June, the WL will be at 10-15 students
  • You can direct questions to [email protected]
Thanks for that great summary!

One thing I'm a little confused about is I thought Dean Rivera said in a previous session that all students now do med school in 3 years at NYU, but then in yesterday's session he said it's only for students with the guaranteed residency spot?
The direct 3 yr program has a guaranteed residency spot after 3 years. Everyone else also does med school in 3 years, but is not guaranteed a spot and will do the regular matching process

The direct 3 yr program has a guaranteed residency spot after 3 years. Everyone else also does med school in 3 years, but is not guaranteed a spot and will do the regular matching process
Ohh gotcha, thanks! That's what I thought initially yes but he said something that made me confused. Thank you!

Sorry if this was already clarified before - but can you get accepted off the waitlist without sending a letter of intent? I know you need one if you are CTE somewhere else, but what if you are only PTE somewhere else??

Sorry if this was already clarified before - but can you get accepted off the waitlist without sending a letter of intent? I know you need one if you are CTE somewhere else, but what if you are only PTE somewhere else??

Yes! The only reason you would need to send a letter of intent is if you know you will have to CTE or if you suspect you will have to CTE prior to the time NYU will be sending offers. If you are only PTE, and you know for a fact that it will stay that way, then there is no need to send a letter of intent and it will not affect your chances in any way.

Just curious, do you guys know which way you're leaning? For me NYU is my top choice, but I know that's not the case for absolutely everyone. Trying to gauge my WL chances and stay optimistic 😅

Just curious, do you guys know which way you're leaning? For me NYU is my top choice, but I know that's not the case for absolutely everyone. Trying to gauge my WL chances and stay optimistic 😅
It's my top choice too (waitlisted) but sadly I don't have that much hope bc I'm assuming it's most ppl's top choices due to tuition (or the lack of lol)