2023-2024 NYU (Grossman)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 NYU (Grossman) Secondary Essay Prompts

MD questions
1. If applicable, please comment on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere on your application. (no limited provided)
2. If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so. (no limit provided)
3. The Admissions Committee holistically evaluates a range of student qualities and life experiences that complement demonstrated academic excellence. What unique qualities do you possess that make you uniquely suited to become a physician or physician-scientist? How have your individual lived experiences shaped your core values and desire to be a future leader in our profession? (2500 characters)

4. Answer
one of the three of the following (limit 2500 characters):

1. The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is this important to you?

2. Conflicts arise daily from differences in perspectives, priorities, worldviews and traditions. How do you define respect? Describe a situation in which you found it challenging to remain respectful while facing differences?

3. Describe a situation in which working with a colleague, family member or friend has been challenging. How did you resolve, if at all, the situation as a team and what did you gain from the experience that will benefit you as a future health care provider?

5. NYU Grossman School of Medicine strives to provide our students with the option of accelerating their medical educational training. In order to guide our curricular efforts to provide additional opportunities for early career exploration for our students, please select up to three residency specialties that are currently of interest to you. Please note that your selection in no way impacts your admissions decision (i.e., there are no right or wrong selections), that it is not binding in any way, and that you may select “Undecided” if you are unsure of your future career path.
(a drop-down list of specialities will show up for this question)

CV required

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

MSTP specific questions

1. How many months of full-time research experience have you completed? When estimating this amount, you may convert part-time research into its full-time equivalent. For example, if you conducted part-time research for 1 year for ~50% of the time, this would equal 6 months of full-time research. Please do not include lab experiences associated with a course (e.g., organic chemistry course with lab).

2. What area of research would you like to pursue in your graduate training? (200 words max)

3. Please describe your ideal career. (200 words max)

CV required

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
For last year's first prompt:

"The Admissions Committee uses a holistic approach to evaluate a wide range of student qualities and life experiences that are complementary to demonstrated academic excellence, strong interpersonal skills and leadership potential. What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU Grossman School of Medicine community?"

Should this be treated as a standard diversity secondary or does this have to be written about differently? It's worded slightly differently than a typical diversity essay and they also have another question which seems to somewhat take the place of a diversity essay:

"Conflicts arise daily from differences in perspectives, priorities, worldviews and traditions. How do you define respect? Describe a situation in which you found it challenging to remain respectful while facing differences?"

Reactions: 1 user
NYU's website says "We require a premedical committee appraisal letter (preferred) or two letters from professors who taught you in courses (at least one in science)."

Does this mean if we don't have a committee we should only provide two letters? MSAR says they accept 2-8 letters, but the wording on the website makes me think that exactly 2 is the requirement without a committee letter vs. max of 8 allowed with a committee letter.

I have two letters that I think will be especially strong. Should I just send those to be safe?

Members don't see this ad :)
NYU's website says "We require a premedical committee appraisal letter (preferred) or two letters from professors who taught you in courses (at least one in science)."

Does this mean if we don't have a committee we should only provide two letters? MSAR says they accept 2-8 letters, but the wording on the website makes me think that exactly 2 is the requirement without a committee letter vs. max of 8 allowed with a committee letter.

I have two letters that I think will be especially strong. Should I just send those to be safe?
It is 2, with at least one being in science. You could potentially send a 3rd if you feel it would add something significant. MSAR is not always the most clear for LOR requirements. The actual website should be used to be certain like how you did with NYU.

Is there any advice for how to fill out the CV portion of the application? Should it be more resume style with descriptions or just a pure list of what was done like CV Template One

MD questions
1. If applicable, please comment on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere on your application. (no limited provided)
2. If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so. (no limit provided)
3. The Admissions Committee uses a holistic approach to evaluate a wide range of student qualities and life experiences that are complementary to demonstrated academic excellence, strong interpersonal skills and leadership potential. What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU Grossman School of Medicine community? (2500 character limit)

Answer one of the three of the following (limit 2500 characters):

The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is this important to you?

Conflicts arise daily from differences in perspectives, priorities, worldviews and traditions. How do you define respect? Describe a situation in which you found it challenging to remain respectful while facing differences?

Describe a situation in which working with a colleague, family member or friend has been challenging. How did you resolve, if at all, the situation as a team and what did you gain from the experience that will benefit you as a future health care provider?

NYU Grossman School of Medicine strives to provide our students with the option of accelerating their medical educational training. In order to guide our curricular efforts to provide additional opportunities for early career exploration for our students, please select up to three residency specialties that are currently of interest to you. Please note that your selection in no way impacts your admissions decision (i.e., there are no right or wrong selections), that it is not binding in any way, and that you may select “Undecided” if you are unsure of your future career path.\

CV required

MSTP specific questions

1. How many months of full-time research experience have you completed? When estimating this amount, you may convert part-time research into its full-time equivalent. For example, if you conducted part-time research for 1 year for ~50% of the time, this would equal 6 months of full-time research. Please do not include lab experiences associated with a course (e.g., organic chemistry course with lab).

2. What area of research would you like to pursue in your graduate training? (200 words max)

CV required

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Is it answer one or three? In past years, it was only one.

Greeting

What is the words limit for the below question? Thanks.

3. The Admissions Committee uses a holistic approach to evaluate a wide range of student qualities and life experiences that are complementary to demonstrated academic excellence, strong interpersonal skills and leadership potential. What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU Grossman School of Medicine community?

Members don't see this ad :)
Greeting

What is the words limit for the below question? Thanks.

3. The Admissions Committee uses a holistic approach to evaluate a wide range of student qualities and life experiences that are complementary to demonstrated academic excellence, strong interpersonal skills and leadership potential. What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU Grossman School of Medicine community?
It's 2500 character. I edited my above comment with extra info asked in the thread.

MD questions
3. The Admissions Committee uses a holistic approach to evaluate a wide range of student qualities and life experiences that are complementary to demonstrated academic excellence, strong interpersonal skills and leadership potential. What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU Grossman School of Medicine community? (2500 character limit)

Answer one of the three of the following (limit 2500 characters):

The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is this important to you?

Conflicts arise daily from differences in perspectives, priorities, worldviews and traditions. How do you define respect? Describe a situation in which you found it challenging to remain respectful while facing differences?

Describe a situation in which working with a colleague, family member or friend has been challenging. How did you resolve, if at all, the situation as a team and what did you gain from the experience that will benefit you as a future health care provider?

NYU Grossman School of Medicine strives to provide our students with the option of accelerating their medical educational training. In order to guide our curricular efforts to provide additional opportunities for early career exploration for our students, please select up to three residency specialties that are currently of interest to you. Please note that your selection in no way impacts your admissions decision (i.e., there are no right or wrong selections), that it is not binding in any way, and that you may select “Undecided” if you are unsure of your future career path.\

CV required

MSTP specific questions

CV required
Is the prompt about specialties a drop down question, essay, or just asking for us to list the 3 specialties of interest?

OOS MD only secondary received. They changed the question, it now reads:

The Admissions Committee holistically evaluates a range of student qualities and life experiences that complement demonstrated academic excellence. What unique qualities do you possess that make you uniquely suited to become a physician or physician-scientist? How have your individual lived experiences shaped your core values and desire to be a future leader in our profession? (2500)

Are y'all gonna change your pre-written answer for the other question to fit this prompt?

The Admissions Committee holistically evaluates a range of student qualities and life experiences that complement demonstrated academic excellence. What unique qualities do you possess that make you uniquely suited to become a physician or physician-scientist? How have your individual lived experiences shaped your core values and desire to be a future leader in our profession? (2500)

Are y'all gonna change your pre-written answer for the other question to fit this prompt?
Can anyone else confirm this wording change for the MD application prompt #3?

They are the same "word salad" to me but I will change it in the top post of the thread if someone else verifies.

Yea I’m not sure but considering doing that… They kind of smushed questions together which in some ways invalidates both of my responses lol

Last edited:

They are the same "word salad" to me but I will change it in the top post of the thread if someone else verifies.
Can confirm

can confirm too

Are you guys writing new essays for the question they changed or just using the one you pre wrote for last years?

Any other regular MD applicants verified before 6/30 still waiting on a secondary?

"The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is this important to you?"

I'm thinking I might respond to this essay by writing about how I tutored a student during the pandemic who made immense progress. Would this qualify as a non-academic accomplishment, since the tutoring was for an academic subject?
Honestly I probably wouldn’t. That sounds pretty academic to me. Maybe try another topic. What do other applicants/mentors think?

"The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is this important to you?"

I'm thinking I might respond to this essay by writing about how I tutored a student during the pandemic who made immense progress. Would this qualify as a non-academic accomplishment, since the tutoring was for an academic subject?
I think it works. By academic they probably mean like an A in ochem or something.

I agree... that is not YOUR academic achievement. It is your personal achievement that you tutored someone who did great! I think good reflection on why it was meaningful to you seems like the way to go.

Thoughts on this prompt: The Admissions Committee holistically evaluates a range of student qualities and life experiences that complement demonstrated academic excellence. What unique qualities do you possess that make you uniquely suited to become a physician or physician scientist? How have your individual lived experiences shaped your core values and desire to be a future leader in our profession?

Thoughts on this prompt: The Admissions Committee holistically evaluates a range of student qualities and life experiences that complement demonstrated academic excellence. What unique qualities do you possess that make you uniquely suited to become a physician or physician scientist? How have your individual lived experiences shaped your core values and desire to be a future leader in our profession?
We cover mission, vision, and core values in Becoming a Student Doctor. What are you thinking about?

As a 4th MME, you are saying tutoring/coaching. I'll let you figure out how it fits with your application.

Do you think 3800 characters is too excessive for the gap year essay?
If you did a lot in your gap year(s), and wrote in a clear concise manner... no. If you think some of it could be considered fluff/rambling and/or doesn't add value to your application-- yes.

Would anyone be willing to share which of the 3 prompts you're responding to and why?

1. The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is this important to you?

2. Conflicts arise daily from differences in perspectives, priorities, worldviews and traditions. How do you define respect? Describe a situation in which you found it challenging to remain respectful while facing differences?

3. Describe a situation in which working with a colleague, family member or friend has been challenging. How did you resolve, if at all, the situation as a team and what did you gain from the experience that will benefit you as a future health care provider?

Would anyone be willing to share which of the 3 prompts you're responding to and why?

One since I can reuse my challenge essay with minimal edits.

How are you all going about this prompt:
The Admissions Committee holistically evaluates a range of student qualities and life experiences that complement demonstrated academic excellence. What unique qualities do you possess that make you uniquely suited to become a physician or physician scientist? How have your individual lived experiences shaped your core values and desire to be a future leader in our profession?

I have been staring at it for hours....literally.

How are you all going about this prompt:
The Admissions Committee holistically evaluates a range of student qualities and life experiences that complement demonstrated academic excellence. What unique qualities do you possess that make you uniquely suited to become a physician or physician scientist? How have your individual lived experiences shaped your core values and desire to be a future leader in our profession?

I have been staring at it for hours....literally.
In my eyes, this sounds like a diversity prompt so I'm going to write about my background and how that has shaped my desire to be a doctor

2023-2024 NYU (Grossman) Secondary Essay Prompts

MD questions
3. The Admissions Committee holistically evaluates a range of student qualities and life experiences that complement demonstrated academic excellence. What unique qualities do you possess that make you uniquely suited to become a physician or physician-scientist? How have your individual lived experiences shaped your core values and desire to be a future leader in our profession? (2500 characters)

4. Answer
one of the three of the following (limit 2500 characters):

5. NYU Grossman School of Medicine strives to provide our students with the option of accelerating their medical educational training. In order to guide our curricular efforts to provide additional opportunities for early career exploration for our students, please select up to three residency specialties that are currently of interest to you. Please note that your selection in no way impacts your admissions decision (i.e., there are no right or wrong selections), that it is not binding in any way, and that you may select “Undecided” if you are unsure of your future career path.
(a drop-down list of specialities will show up for this question)

CV required

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

MSTP specific questions

CV required

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Is 2 LORs the minimum or maximum?

Any other verified applicants not receive a secondary yet? I’m sure it’s probably just them getting things out in batches slowly, but I haven’t seen anyone else mention not receiving them and wanted to make sure my email wasn’t being weird since that’s happened before.

Here's a question: so, there's a couple secondary questions without a word requirement, e.g.:
If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so.

Not being an adcom, I can think of 2 ways to interpret this:
(1) Less is more. They read lots of apps. This is a chance to show cogency.
(2) Show us something heartfelt, tell us a story/go into detail.

Anyone able to weigh in on either interpretation? And, if possible, your basis for the opinion (adcom, affiliate, past experience, etc.)

Thanks!

Here's a question: so, there's a couple secondary questions without a word requirement, e.g.:
If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so.

Anyone able to weigh in on either interpretation? And, if possible, your basis for the opinion (adcom, affiliate, past experience, etc.)

Thanks!

Not an adcom, but I just answered the prompt as straightforward as I could. My gap year experiences were already included on my primary with stories, so I basically just said what I was doing and the purpose

Thanks!
I chose to go into detail with stories. My reasoning being that if they wanted something short they would have put a character limit lol