2022-2023 NYU - Long Island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is but also this isnt the ideal school for someone who wants to have flexibility. Also - the medical students mentioned it is difficult to apply out because you are in a 3yr curriculum as opposed to 4yr so you have much less time to do research/pubs/other stuff for your residency app.

All in all, I would say this is not the ideal school for someone who doesn't know what they want to pursue. Almost every other medical school in the country is set up to allow you to have the most freedom, why would you apply to this school if you were not interested in peds/IM/surg/OBGYN?

Its certainly a different story if you change your mind after attending but as an applicant I don’t get why you would apply if you don’t know where your interests lie

Thank you for everyone’s input

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, I am asking about switching specialties within the program. I am pursuing FM when looking at accelerated programs but I was curious if the option was there to switch to OB in case I really get drawn to the pregnancy & delivery part of FM, but don’t know if I’ll get that exposure before I apply and it won’t compare much to actual training anyway

I am committed to primary care but prefer a program that has that limited flexibility. I totally get not applying if you don’t want to do primary care

I think any student would be interested in the program for the NYU name and no debt factor though, even if their interest in primary care is limited. I don’t think they should apply and don’t think they sound like a great fit but I just wouldn’t be surprised if they get 1000s of applications from people who are just shooting their shot or don’t want to do 4 years or have a ton of debt. I’m sure NYU is good at filtering these people out

I am also married. my partner is open to Long Island long term but we have to make many decisions together so it is nice to hear that you are not totally locked into the residency component if you have changing personal or professional preferences. Our parents are aging with some chronic health issues and located in Florida. Could be 5 years, could be 10 years, could 15 years before we may want to be closer to them.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for everyone’s input

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, I am asking about switching specialties within the program. I am pursuing FM when looking at accelerated programs but I was curious if the option was there to switch to OB in case I really get drawn to the pregnancy & delivery part of FM, but don’t know if I’ll get that exposure before I apply and it won’t compare much to actual training anyway

I am committed to primary care but prefer a program that has that limited flexibility. I totally get not applying if you don’t want to do primary care

I think any student would be interested in the program for the NYU name and no debt factor though, even if their interest in primary care is limited. I don’t think they should apply and don’t think they sound like a great fit but I just wouldn’t be surprised if they get 1000s of applications from people who are just shooting their shot or don’t want to do 4 years or have a ton of debt. I’m sure NYU is good at filtering these people out

I am also married. my partner is open to Long Island long term but we have to make many decisions together so it is nice to hear that you are not totally locked into the residency component if you have changing personal or professional preferences. Our parents are aging with some chronic health issues and located in Florida. Could be 5 years, could be 10 years, could 15 years before we may want to be closer to them.
They dont have FM as an option just so you know lol

Members don't see this ad :)
O.M.G. im glad I found this out now and not while applying. my mediocre post bacc program advisor said they did. laughing and crying @ same time
They have internal medicine from which you can pursue family med though!

Reactions: 1 user
O.M.G. im glad I found this out now and not while applying. my mediocre post bacc program advisor said they did. laughing and crying @ same time
Lol I mean it could still work if you did IM tho. Also I do think they are trying to create a FM residency at NYU-LI (they don’t have one right now hence why there is no FM track at the school) but I would assume that if they create a FM residency at NYULI, they will expand the class of the med school to include FM - but what do I know 🤷🏻‍♀️

Interviewed 10/14 but still haven't heard back... anyone else also waiting? :/
I was 10/13 and emailed them because they had said 4-6 weeks originally. Someone responded and said they're backed up so it's closer to 6-8 weeks. I emailed about a week ago and she said we should expect to hear in the next two weeks, so i assume by the end of next week.

I was 10/13 and emailed them because they had said 4-6 weeks originally. Someone responded and said they're backed up so it's closer to 6-8 weeks. I emailed about a week ago and she said we should expect to hear in the next two weeks, so i assume by the end of next week.
I was 11/3 so I guess our might be after New Year's, unless they batch us in with the 10/13 release

I just checked MSAR and it says the first day acceptances are sent is February 14th. Has it always been this day? I swear it used to say like the 24th?

I just checked MSAR and it says the first day acceptances are sent is February 14th. Has it always been this day? I swear it used to say like the 24th?
This sounds right. When I interviewed this week, I officially put "mid-February" in my notes but took a mental note that we would hear the week of Valentine's day.

Have any mid-October or November interviewees received the "final pool of applicants" email?

Just got notified I'm in the final pool of applicants!! Interviewed Oct 11

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the final pool email earlier today! Does anyone know if they accept letters of intent at this stage, or is that only proper to send post-waitlist?

For people on hold - should we fill out the FAFSA and CSS app right now? ...I guess the real question is if we should interpret a hold as a "waitlist" decision for the final pool or soft R. TIA!

Reactions: 1 users
For people on hold - should we fill out the FAFSA and CSS app right now? ...I guess the real question is if we should interpret a hold as a "waitlist" decision for the final pool or soft R. TIA!
Their most recent update email said sometimes students choose to submit it at this point to expedite the process for later in the cycle. It's only required to submit that info for the debt-free scholarship. The full-tuition scholarship and health insurance are automatically applied, no CSS/FAFSA needed.

So, if you have time and the funds to spare (CSS has a fee, I believe) there's no harm in doing it sooner

Edit: I can't speak to NYULISOM's protocols with being placed on hold, but I was on the waitlist for some different schools in a previous cycle and those schools said to still fill out the FAFSA in case there was WL movement. So it's still a thing you can do if you want to plan ahead. You can also start the FAFSA and add schools later if you want to wait and see admissions results.

Last edited:
Got the final pool email earlier today! Does anyone know if they accept letters of intent at this stage, or is that only proper to send post-waitlist?
Since their email from two days ago said, "Please feel free to upload any updates on your activities, academics, or letter of continued interest directly to the 'other documents' section on your NYULISOM admission portal." I think you would be able to submit the intent letter!

is a post II hold basically a soft rejection or have people made it to the final pool after getting a hold?

has there been an incidence where someone on hold got accepted? or is it more realistic for only those in the final pool to be accepted? :/ i have little hope

Happy holidays guys!!!!

Don’t know what a hold means for y'all but each admissions years is different so a hold/final pool *might* mean something different things for applicants on different years if you're looking at last year's thread for any clue what a hold/final pool means for us like me :rofl:

I believe the process goes somewhat like this: II -> interview -> adcom review -> hold or final pool.

Previous posters were told at their interview session (I don’t really remember if I was told at mine): final pool -> residency director for decision -> Accept, Reject or waitlist. Final pool (probably) ≠ definite acceptance but it’s the last check before a final decision maybe? Someone please correct me if you disagree.

And maybe: hold -> adcom for re- review -> final pool or A, R, or WL? Don’t know if it’s possible to jump from hold to A but I included it just in case. I’m guessing holds are re-reviewed by the adcom before passing it to residency directors who might be too busy to handle a lot of applicants so they want a select few to review? All of this is pure speculation but it's the best I’ve got in trying to understand these post ii statuses

moved on to final pool! interviewed mid Nov

Reactions: 4 users
Scrolled through the thread but couldn't find it - do we know how many people end up in the final pool? Trying to gauge what the chances are for 24 spots.

Scrolled through the thread but couldn't find it - do we know how many people end up in the final pool? Trying to gauge what the chances are for 24 spots.
Lol hate to be that person but technically you are applying for the spots in your specialty - so its the 6 for peds, 2 surg, ect. I would assume that they have different amounts moving on that are position-dependent, but that would just be my guess!

Lol hate to be that person but technically you are applying for the spots in your specialty - so its the 6 for peds, 2 surg, ect. I would assume that they have different amounts moving on that are position-dependent, but that would just be my guess!
They said during my interview that they offer IIs in proportion to the number of spots, so I imagine the same is true for the final pool

Yeah I figured as much... I guess I was assuming (hoping?) that final pool is proportional to the spots available like ynwa21396 said... Fingers crossed though!

For those that uploaded an update letter, did you also email them to let them know that you did so?

For those that uploaded an update letter, did you also email them to let them know that you did so?
No, since their timeline email told us to just upload them directly to the portal I decided not to email them as well

Moved on to final pool! Interviewed 12/6!

Anyone have an idea of how many people make it to final pool?

I also got the final pool email and interviewed on 12/6 :)

As for how many people make it to the final pool, I'm not sure -- my guess is our chances are still slim-ish though, just because of how few spots there are!

Last edited:
  • Love
Moved on to final pool! Interviewed 12/6!

Anyone have an idea of how many people make it to final pool?

This is just a guess but from working in a role that requires reviewing applications then interviewing then narrowing selection, I would guess they’ve at least got the pool down to a size so that they take 30-40% or more (50% would make way more sense) of people from the pool…..so your chances go from 5% at interview to ~13-17% in final pool? Still very slim

So for general surgery, I think there’s 2 spots someone said…..

40 people interviewed
~12-16 to final pool
2 people accepted

I also base this on what someone said about the residency director reviewing applications. The admissions team put in the work to narrow it down, it would only be valuable if it were a manageable number and if all candidates were ones that the admissions team would be happy to accept without hesitancy.

Of course it’s crazy they interview like 500 people for 24 spots in the first place! So who knows what the process looks like

Congratulations and good luck!. Wow!

Any suggestions for whether or not to submit a document expressing “continued interest in our program”? I’m in the final pool.

I already wrote a thank you note expressing something similar and submitted an update. I don’t feel that I have anything particularly new to say and don’t want it to be overkill! What is everyone’s approach here?

I was put on hold for the final pool, does anyone know if a letter of intent could make a difference? Or if for a school with such a small class "hold" means anything better than a soft R?

I was put on hold for the final pool, does anyone know if a letter of intent could make a difference? Or if for a school with such a small class "hold" means anything better than a soft R?
I'm unsure if when you're put on hold if you get reconsidered for final pool but since the school encourages letters of continued interest, I'd say go for it and send it soon since I think their decisions come out mid-Feb! It can't hurt you

Any suggestions for whether or not to submit a document expressing “continued interest in our program”? I’m in the final pool.

I already wrote a thank you note expressing something similar and submitted an update. I don’t feel that I have anything particularly new to say and don’t want it to be overkill! What is everyone’s approach here?
When was your interview? I would say if it was very recent and you highlighted any updates during the interview then I don't think you need to, but if you want to send one I would say go for it - its really up to you

Do we know when decisions will be released? I received finalist for IM a few months ago and it occurred to me that it might be about time?

Do we know when decisions will be released? I received finalist for IM a few months ago and it occurred to me that it might be about time?
In their timeline email they said decisions would be released mid-Feb. Last year they did decisions on Feb 14 by phone call I believe

I withdrew for IM, was a finalist. Wishing you all the best of luck!

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users