2023-2024 Oregon Health and Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
it’s been about 8 weeks since my interview and no update, should I reach out to admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the same group. Did you hear through an email or in the portal? Thanks and good luck
I received an email that said "Please log into the admissions portal to see your updated status".

When I logged in, under status it says:

🟪Decision: Hold 11/16/2023

Since your interview, you have been discussed by the Admissions Committee and were placed in the hold pool.
After which, it just tells you a little bit more about the admissions process/protocols regarding acceptances and waitlist with a timeframe.

Edit:
I guess I should mention, I would expect most people to received a similar email eventually, since they only admit a small number each round until near the end. My suspicion is that they also don't outright reject most people until the end of interview season.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know where we send LOI's it doesnt look like theres a place in the portal

Anyone else from week of 9/11 not heard back yet? Going on 10 weeks with no response yet. Starting to wonder if I should email Kari. ? opinions appreciated. EDIT: Interviewed* not complete.

Anyone else from week of 9/11 not heard back yet? Going on 10 weeks with no response yet. Starting to wonder if I should email Kari. ? opinions appreciated. EDIT: Interviewed* not complete.

i believe kari said it’s fine to reach out and ask

i believe kari said it’s fine to reach out and ask
Will they tell you anything? I was under the impression that updates will only be on your portal/through email, and they would not be able to provide any more information if you reach out directly.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Will they tell you anything? I was under the impression that updates will only be on your portal/through email, and they would not be able to provide any more information if you reach out directly.
sorry just to clarify i meant like you’re not going to hurt anything but reaching out to admissions. they made is pretty clear that once the committee meets your file is closed and to expect a long wait. i don’t think reaching out to kari and asking if a decision had been made will hurt anything. i believe (don’t quote me on this) that they said reaching out with timeline questions was okay but that again, this process is long for them because they are a single list school

sorry just to clarify i meant like you’re not going to hurt anything but reaching out to admissions. they made is pretty clear that once the committee meets your file is closed and to expect a long wait. i don’t think reaching out to kari and asking if a decision had been made will hurt anything. i believe (don’t quote me on this) that they said reaching out with timeline questions was okay but that again, this process is long for them because they are a single list school
Single list school? Can you clarify?

Single list school? Can you clarify?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge it means that every interviewee is put into a single ranked list based on their total points (0-25) following a review of their entire application score. For example, this would be in contrast to a school that would look for X number of people in state, Y number of non-trads, Z number of people with so-and-so experience.

If you are above a certain threshold on this list, you can either be immediately accepted, put on hold for further review, or rejected. What futuredocflo was saying is that this method of reviewing candidates can be slower relative to other schools since it would be in their best interest for them to interview more people before coming to a decision.

Again, not 100% sure if I remember this correctly from the orientation as it's been a few weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge it means that every interviewee is put into a single ranked list based on their total points (0-25) following a review of their entire application score. For example, this would be in contrast to a school that would look for X number of people in state, Y number of non-trads, Z number of people with so-and-so experience.

If you are above a certain threshold on this list, you can either be immediately accepted, put on hold for further review, or rejected. What futuredocflo was saying is that this method of reviewing candidates can be slower relative to other schools since it would be in their best interest for them to interview more people before coming to a decision.

Again, not 100% sure if I remember this correctly from the orientation as it's been a few weeks.

i don’t think that’s quite right or at least they didn’t explain it like this at my interview. basically it’s not “first come first serve” so someone at the last interview has equal chance of getting in as someone at the first interview. also, if they’ve had 15% of interviews then they only allow themselves to fill 15% of the class.

i don’t think that’s quite right or at least they didn’t explain it like this at my interview. basically it’s not “first come first serve” so someone at the last interview has equal chance of getting in as someone at the first interview. also, if they’ve had 15% of interviews then they only allow themselves to fill 15% of the class.
I can confirm the "15%" part of this at the very least. They made it clear in my interview that acceptances will be more frequently released towards the end of the cycle because they only allow themselves to accept the same percentage of their final class as they have already interviewed with regards to their overall interview pool. They said that by the end of the year they will have interviewed ~50% of their total pool, so at that point the same percentage of acceptances would be made. I imagine there is also a large shift towards the end of the cycle as they have applicants choose other acceptances as well, which will change the picture.

Also something to note, Kari told us during my interview day that one of the adcom members that is involved in the final decision meetings had a recent death in the family and this would likely slow them down for a bit in comparison to other years.

+1! does anybody know post II acceptance rates for Oregon residents?
The data I have shows an IS post-II acceptance rate of 44.32% in 2021 (compared to 39.51% for OOS post-II). More recent data shows IS post-II acceptance at 49% with total post-II acceptance of approximately 48%. The second set of data is probably a bit more controversial though, I don't have access to any of the background info, just the rates so I can't fact-check that math.

Last edited:
MD/MPH acceptance :) Received a call from Dr. Foster last week and the official email today!!! Feels unreal.

Reactions: 4 users
Still no word from 9/12 interview. The 6 week deadline was almost 6 weeks ago.

Post II R. Interviewed week of 9/19. Best of luck to y’all ♥️. For future people stalking this thread, found out at 1:30pm 12/1.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
  • 290 individuals have interviewed to date. We anticipate conducting 520 total interviews this cycle
  • 40 offers made to date
Long way to go guys. Stay hopeful and hold on to your support system :)

Hope this helps. Dec 1 update.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
  • 290 individuals have interviewed to date. We anticipate conducting 520 total interviews this cycle
  • 40 offers made to date
Long way to go guys. Stay hopeful and hold on to your support system :)

Hope this helps. Dec 1 update.
That is super helpful for perspective. Thank you for posting that!

Does anybody know how heavily weighted the typed prompt response is for the overall score for admission? I feel like I had good responses, but I ran out of time at the end (goofed) and it ends mid sentence with a literal nonsense word because I tried to type super fast to finish. My anxiety is peaked right now lol

Does anybody know how heavily weighted the typed prompt response is for the overall score for admission? I feel like I had good responses, but I ran out of time at the end (goofed) and it ends mid sentence with a literal nonsense word because I tried to type super fast to finish. My anxiety is peaked right now lol
My impression was that it was considered as an additional MMI station, so possibly equivalent to the other stations... but I have no information to back that up so who knows

For the MMI, how many stations are there? I didn't see how long it was expected to last on the email. I have my one on one later in the day.
Mine was 5ish stations (I don't remember exactly). It took about an hour and 15 min to complete.

So if the estimated class size is 150 according to MSAR and they are 55% of the way through, it would seem only another 30 spots would be offered soon after people interview this cycle and the other 120 accepted will be offered from the hold list? Does this sound similar to previous years?
An enormous number of people get accepted from the hold pool. At OHSU, the hold pool is a great place to be and should not be a cause of stress for anyone. The only bad news from OHSU at this stage is an R.

Reactions: 2 users
So if the estimated class size is 150 according to MSAR and they are 55% of the way through, it would seem only another 30 spots would be offered soon after people interview this cycle and the other 120 accepted will be offered from the hold list? Does this sound similar to previous years?
I think like everyone, I'm working off limited info here. But looking at last year's waitlist acceptances, it looks like the last person to get in was #64. Wouldn't this mean that around 64 people are generally accepted off the waitlist, not 120?

I think like everyone, I'm working off limited info here. But looking at last year's waitlist acceptances, it looks like the last person to get in was #64. Wouldn't this mean that around 64 people are generally accepted off the waitlist, not 120?
I think this post was referring to the hold pool + wait list, maybe. I think it’s hard to say how many slots will be remaining after interviews are concluded (due to students holding multiple acceptances) and they fill from the hold pool and then assemble their waitlist.

I have my MMI interview tomorrow and I'm super nervous for the role-playing stations. I've never had those before in a MMI. Any advice or tips? I would greatly appreciate anything!

I have my MMI interview tomorrow and I'm super nervous for the role-playing stations. I've never had those before in a MMI. Any advice or tips? I would greatly appreciate anything!
This was the same situation for me, so I completely feel you.

If possible, get someone to ask you questions (you can Google to find some generic medical school role play scenarios) and then try practicing that way. I felt like it was similar to MMI, but just speaking from a position rather than theoretically.

Once you get a bit of practice, it won’t feel as awkward! Hope this helps.

Both my acting scenarios were pretty awkward, but I tried to act like I was talking to a real person in a real situation. I kept reminding myself to be empathetic and not immediately jump to conclusions, despite what the situation may initially seem like. It helps that all the evaluators have their cameras off, and at times I even forgot I was being evaluated once I got into it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Anyone else interview 10/27 hoping for a decision soon?

also after the Kiratlalent MMI, my interview just ended. we didn't have to log back in or anything right? after that was it?

I just want to double check LOL

also after the Kiratlalent MMI, my interview just ended. we didn't have to log back in or anything right? after that was it?

I just want to double check LOL
Yes, it just ends after your last station. You're good. :)