2023-2024 Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wondering how long people's descriptions will be now that there is no word limit for the activity descriptions?
Keeping it at 1000 since thats what the other secondary questions were. I don't think you need to write more than that.

Members don't see this ad.

IS secondary received yesterday around noon CST. Was just verified earlier that morning. For reference if it helps anyone, I have about 1350 clinical hours of which 1000 are employed, 350 are clinical volunteering. 400 non-clin community service hours. I saw some people asking about hours for the screen so I just wanted to provide some context.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS secondary received 7/11. I have over 4000 clinical hours and only about 500 volunteer hours for reference.

Should we email them, although it’s still early, to ask for an update with our status if we have not received a secondary. Or should we just wait?

for the recommended course part, are we supposed to include AP credits we received that show up on our amcas transcript?

Is anyone having trouble with the application portal? I get a redirect notice error every time I click either link that was in my email.

Reactions: 1 user
+1 IS secondary today with high stats, 4000 hrs research, only abt 250 volunteer hrs, 500 clinical (at time of applying)

+1 IS secondary (7/10) w high GPA, low MCAT, 250 hrs research, 160 non-clinical, 600 clinical (at time of applying)

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 OOS at 5pm est. I just skimmed this thread and seems like people are trying to see if they screen out based on volunteer hours? I have only like 500 non-clinical and 100 clinical, so I doubt it.

+1 OOS at 5pm est. I just skimmed this thread and seems like people are trying to see if they screen out based on volunteer hours? I have only like 500 non-clinical and 100 clinical, so I doubt it.
I recall from this podcast that Rush requires service AND (maybe) direct patient contact, so I am thinking they will screen you out if you have zero of either but I didn't get the sense that they have a minimum number of hours. It seemed like as long as it's greater than zero for both categories you shouldn't be screened out.

OOS received today, mid GPA and MCAT, 2500+ clinical hours and 1500+ research hours with one pub, 1000+ community service hours

did you guys write the activities as more matter of fact or also tried to put in stories?

did you guys write the activities as more matter of fact or also tried to put in stories?
I’m writing more matter of fact, because the prompt asks about the skills we learned and applied.

Reactions: 1 users
wait I'm so confused do we follow this recommended courses guideline for what classes to put in on the secondaries??

• Two semesters of biological sciences (higher than an intro course), including one semester of Cell and Molecular Biology
  • One semester of Genetics
  • Two semesters of Biochemistry
  • Two semesters of Physics (higher than an intro course)
  • Two semesters of Algebra or a higher-level math
  • Two semesters of English

wait I'm so confused do we follow this recommended courses guideline for what classes to put in on the secondaries??

• Two semesters of biological sciences (higher than an intro course), including one semester of Cell and Molecular Biology
  • One semester of Genetics
  • Two semesters of Biochemistry
  • Two semesters of Physics (higher than an intro course)
  • Two semesters of Algebra or a higher-level math
  • Two semesters of English
I was told by admissions that I could put Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Inorganic Chemistry under the Chemistry listing. Also include labs as a separate entry IF they are listed separated in the course catalog.

I was told by admissions that I could put Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Inorganic Chemistry under the Chemistry listing. Also include labs as a separate entry IF they are listed separated in the course catalog.
so even if they didn't say to include organic and inorganic, we still have to put it anyway?

so even if they didn't say to include organic and inorganic, we still have to put it anyway?
I'm not sure exactly, but I don't think it's a huge deal either way. I'd email admissions, they responded to me within 24 hours.

This is kind of off topic but I'm putting my courses into the secondary and some of these requirements are ridiculous

"*Beginning in the 2025 application cycle, these courses will be required.

Two semesters of biological sciences (higher than an intro course), including one semester of Cell and Molecular Biology
One semester of Genetics
Two semesters of Biochemistry
Two semesters of Physics (higher than an intro course)
Two semesters of Algebra or a higher-level math
Two semesters of English"

Who's taking 2 semesters of biochemistry and 2 semesters of physics higher than an intro level? Thankfully they're not requiring it this admissions cycle.

This is kind of off topic but I'm putting my courses into the secondary and some of these requirements are ridiculous

"*Beginning in the 2025 application cycle, these courses will be required.

Two semesters of biological sciences (higher than an intro course), including one semester of Cell and Molecular Biology
One semester of Genetics
Two semesters of Biochemistry
Two semesters of Physics (higher than an intro course)
Two semesters of Algebra or a higher-level math
Two semesters of English"

Who's taking 2 semesters of biochemistry and 2 semesters of physics higher than an intro level? Thankfully they're not requiring it this admissions cycle.

For the physics, my physics was just called "General Physics," and they told me that meets their requirements.

Last edited:
Does Rush screen for their secondaries?
As discussed above, yes they do. They definitely screen for MCAT and GPA data which was posted in a helpful table by a previous commenter. However, they also screen for some service and clinical experiences, though it is not clear what their minimum number of hours is.

what's up with needing a passport/birth cert :,,) it's the only school i've got requiring it and I had to go digging..

what's up with needing a passport/birth cert :,,) it's the only school i've got requiring it and I had to go digging..
Perks of being immigrant haha is me always having my passport within a 5 minute search

• Haha
For the question about describing clinical experiences, I am assuming we dont have to write description about our shadowing expriences, right?

For the question about describing clinical experiences, I am assuming we dont have to write description about our shadowing expriences, right?
6. Do you have direct patient care/contact experience beyond shadowing/observing? Answering "yes" demonstrates you have had active interactions with patients and/or clinical participation in their continuum of care.

YesNo
List and describe, in detail, each experience below. While activities can parallel those listed on the AMCAS application, the narratives should not. Instead, focus on detailing the specific knowledge, skills, and abilities you learned and applied during these experiences. Additionally, estimate the proportion of each role that was spent interfacing with patients.

Do you think its okay to list every biology, chemistry, physics course that could theoretically satisfy the pre-req requirements (like upper-level coursework), or just the bare-minimum ones that our undergraduate institution recommended we take?

Does Rush require Casper this year? I did not submit my Capser score to Rush, and it still showed the application was complete.

Have yet to receive a secondary, OS. Verified 6/16. Any suggestions?
Unfortunately, they have a 500 MCAT minimum. See the chart on page 1 for more information. The chart is also posted on their admissions main page.

Does Rush require Casper this year? I did not submit my Capser score to Rush, and it still showed the application was complete.
Must be a mistake because their website definitely says that Casper is required.

I have a question about the Experience description and the "proportion of each role that was spent interfacing with patients". So I work for an organization that operates an Federally Qualified Health Center but also housing and SUDs treatment. I coordinate health care for people in early addiction recovery there so... technically almost every one of my clients I interact with is a "patient" because I refer them all to primary care, mental health etc. and go to appointments with them if they want. But most of my work isn't done in the clinic because I am outreaching to people in the housing buildings and scheduling their appointments and care there. I talk about all this in the description and emphasize the uniquness of this position (which I can share if that helps) but I am not sure what to put as the percentage of interfacing with patients...

On the activity descriptions, I can confirm that there's no world limits. The other 4 secondary questions have a 1000 character limit though.
Okay I know scribing technically counts as clinical experience but I didn't really spend too much time with patients so idk if I should include it as a "patient contact/care experience." Im not really leaning towards putting it in (easier for me lol) but thoughts?

Okay I know scribing technically counts as clinical experience but I didn't really spend too much time with patients so idk if I should include it as a "patient contact/care experience." Im not really leaning towards putting it in (easier for me lol) but thoughts?
Idk man, you'd be doing a disservice to your application not mentioning the scribing thing, even if you've had other clinical experiences.

You're telling me you never grabbed a water for a patient or explained discharge instructions?

What proportion of patient interfacing would you think would be appropriate for scribing? I wasn't providing patient care, but we were almost always with patients getting histories, doing exams, etc.

I am a medical assistant so I will definitely include that, but is hospital volunteering also applicable here for the clinical interactions question?

I am a medical assistant so I will definitely include that, but is hospital volunteering also applicable here for the clinical interactions question?
I'm listing everything I counted as clinical on my amcas app

When you add the coursework on the secondary, what does the last column refer to (Link to the course description in course catalog)? Also, is anyone else having trouble completing the LOR tab? I have filled it out and saved many times but it still says incomplete.

When you add the coursework on the secondary, what does the last column refer to (Link to the course description in course catalog)? Also, is anyone else having trouble completing the LOR tab? I have filled it out and saved many times but it still says incomplete.
The last column is so redic, you have to find the course catalog entry for the courses you list and put the URL in there. I googled "[Class name] [University name] Course catalog" and was able to find course listings that way.

Did people put AP credit in for the coursework section on the secondary or just classes taken in college?

how much are people writing for the clinical experiences stuff, I am not about to write anything more than maybe a few 100 characters

The last column is so redic, you have to find the course catalog entry for the courses you list and put the URL in there. I googled "[Class name] [University name] Course catalog" and was able to find course listings that way.
mate they straght up change all the course numbers since I took those classes, talk about a pain in the ass

Reactions: 2 users
mate they straght up change all the course numbers since I took those classes, talk about a pain in the ass
same but with the descriptions. I couldn't even search for the specific courses that were offered in the past. I just went with the most relevant description/semester and hoped for the best lol. GL!