-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2024-2025 UCLA (Geffen)
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
wakeupaurora
Full Member
Have all the MD/PhD decisions gone out? I haven't received an interview but still haven't gotten rejected...am I just getting ghosted
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lol123456789
Full Member
For those accepted, have you guys done any other requirements like health screenings, transcript uploads, etc yet? I haven't done anything because I am still actively working on financial aid but dont want to be behind
D
deleted1199638
I haven’t done anything except finaid. Haven’t heard anything about health screening and the admitted students website says they only need final transcripts if you earned your bachelor’s after May 2024For those accepted, have you guys done any other requirements like health screenings, transcript uploads, etc yet? I haven't done anything because I am still actively working on financial aid but dont want to be behind
dreamingmed
Full Member
Are there any post interview rejections?
purple3081
Full Member
I only saw one and it was from someone who interviewed for PrimeAre there any post interview rejections?
workblurbs2025
Full Member
If UCLA interviewed around 800 people, and waitlists 250 people, then are the rest who are not Accepted all just straight up rejected (Post-II)? Or does everyone who dont get immediate A’s all end up on the waitlist?
people do receive post-ii R. ucla tends to do it in batches though, and sometimes along with the pre-II R.If UCLA interviewed around 800 people, and waitlists 250 people, then are the rest who are not Accepted all just straight up rejected (Post-II)? Or does everyone who dont get immediate A’s all end up on the waitlist?
Is there anyone who interviewed that did not receive a decision of acceptance/waitlist and still waiting to hear back?
I would imagine business casualIs there a dress code for second look/what do people normally wear?
workblurbs2025
Full Member
Anyone send an update letter and receive a reply back? I sent one 2 weeks ago but I did not receive any confirmation or anything
ufache10
Full Member
You can look at videos of the Second Look weekends at DGSOM from past years. I do not think you can go wrong though--nothing strictIs there a dress code for second look/what do people normally wear?
LadyGagaFan
Full Member
you can just upload it in your portal in the document sectionAnyone send an update letter and receive a reply back? I sent one 2 weeks ago but I did not receive any confirmation or anything
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone hear about financial scholarships or packages yet?
shtinkymooshi18
New Member
got a call from a (213) Los Angeles number on my way to work and my heart dropped. turns out LAPD just had the wrong number 💀. happy april fools everyone!
reducedmass
New Member
Yeah, as a fellow first-gen, Im getting a bit worried too. I knew school wouldn’t be cheap but 400K+ loans ….. 😅 I could sell my parents house and still not have that.I haven’t yet. I’m worried they might not be giving any/minimal aid based on what I read in last year’s thread and given all the federal funding cuts but I’m not sure.
I took a quick look at the sdn thread from last year and it seems like only one person received merit-based aid (pg. 50-51). It was on todays date last year (4/1) and its the only mention of aid I found. They also apparently didnt have the geffen scholarship last year and im not sure where to see if thats also the case for this year.
Couldn’t find much regarding need-based aid either.
If anyone has more info please do share. Does one need to have extremely competitive stats to be considered for merit-based aid (I’m assuming it’s much different process than undergrad) ?
I'm fairly certain that there is no more Geffen Scholarship, that money is gone. I heard that scholarships are going to be more limited and I dont believe there are anymore full COA scholarships. Theres LA Cares scholarship but if you're an OOS applicant I'm pretty sure your chances of getting that is nil.
Goddo Usoppu
Full Member
also what does their anatomy look like? Do they include AR/VR on top of real life dissections/anatomy?
D
deleted1208783
It’s a 16 month preclinical and discovery year is shortened by about 4 months. Curriculum will have summer sessions.any update on the new curriculum?
artemisqueen
Full Member
How did you like UCLA's second look so far? Curious what the vibes were at the event today!It’s a 16 month preclinical and discovery year is shortened by about 4 months. Curriculum will have summer sessions.
Are step 1 and 2 still taken back to back in third year?It’s a 16 month preclinical and discovery year is shortened by about 4 months. Curriculum will have summer sessions.
D
deleted1208783
No step 1 will be taken before moving onto clinical rotations.Are step 1 and 2 still taken back to back in third year?
purple3081
Full Member
:/The school was great! The people were alright. I noticed that cliques already formed though so it was hard to meet new people after the first day since some groups were not as welcoming. A few girls were wearing like 20k worth of jewelry and accessories which I was shocked by.
premedwhoopss
Full Member
so DGSOM is sticking with no summer break after the first year?
How did you like UCLA's second look so far? Curious what the vibes were at the event today!
I think the school was honestly really good. Like the other comment said some people had formed cliques, but I would say everyone that i had spoken to seemed open to talk and connect. And there seemed to be just about most personalities you can think of, so you can always make a community with those who are similar to you. Def culture shock about the wealth and backgrounds/activities of applicants tho. Upperclassmen were very helpful too
zoro8
New Member
Long time lurker here and I don’t usually post, but I’ve noticed a lot of negativity from you throughout this cycle on this thread, and I felt like I should chime in with a different perspective lolThe school was great! The people were alright. I noticed that cliques already formed though so it was hard to meet new people after the first day since some groups were not as welcoming. One particular girl was wearing like 25k worth of jewelry and her posse were all carrying designer handbags which I was shocked by. Honestly the gross display of wealth and the attitude of the students turned me off the school and I will be going elsewhere.
I’m not discounting your experience, but I personally had a fantastic time at Admit Weekend. I got the chance to hang out and have great conversations with majority of the students who attended. Genuinely, some of the nicest and warmest people I met. Sure, some small groups naturally formed. It’s a three-day event where nobody knows anyone at first, so it makes sense that people gravitated toward whoever they met early on. But it definitely wasn’t as cliquey or exclusive as you made it sound. In fact, I saw people mingling constantly at every event, offering each other rides, splitting Ubers, and really going out of their way to connect.
The vibe I got from both the students and the school was incredibly warm and welcoming. I walked away from the weekend genuinely excited, and many of the people I spoke to felt the same way. Some even said it made them seriously reconsider DGSOM over Ivy League schools.
I’m choosing to come here over a top five institution, and a huge part of that decision was the people I met and the positive energy I felt from the community and the city.
I’m sorry you had a different experience, and I truly wish you the best wherever you end up. But I just wanted to speak up so others reading this thread get a fuller picture.
ufache10
Full Member
You also said that on your interview day zoom call someone said they regret going to the school, which I respectfully cannot imagine happening lolTotally can see and respect where you’re coming from. However, people can have different experiences based on the groups they were in throughout the weekend. It’s unfortunate that you interpreted a first gen student’s concerns about curriculum, scholarship, and school culture as negative.
Lots of us are first gens btw. This school also objectively has one of the highest percentages of low income students in the country (66% versus average of 20%.) if you want the source for this i will send it
We do not mean it in a harmful way but to come out of this weekend with a takeaway about jewelry (are you good at pinpointing what real vs fake jewelry looks like?) seems like you may have a “world is against me” mindset which I dont blame you for. I bet you have been through a lot. But yeah try and see things a bit more positively. Positivity will bring more positivity
But yeah I think the class was extremely welcoming and I think if you walk up to some of these “cliques” they will more times than not welcome you with open arms. I certainly would
Did you like your roommate at the hotel? My person was a lot different than me but we got along great
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You also said that on your interview day zoom call someone said they regret going to the school, which I respectfully cannot imagine happening lol
Lots of us are first gens btw
We do not mean it in a harmful way but to come out of this weekend with a takeaway about jewelry (are you good at pinpointing what real vs fake jewelry looks like?) seems like you may have a “world is against me” mindset which I dont blame you for. I bet you have been through a lot. But yeah try and see things a bit more positively. Positivity will bring more positivity
But yeah I think the class was extremely welcoming and I think if you walk up to some of these “cliques” they will more times than not welcome you with open arms. I certainly would
Did you like your roommate at the hotel? My person was a lot different than me but we got along great
Everyone’s experience is equally valid. Can we please try to refrain from telling people how they should react or perceive their own experiences?
ufache10
Full Member
I will engage in dialogue and invite the person to rethink some of what they are experiencing. If I did not respect them and their opinion, I would not push backEveryone’s experience is equally valid. Can we please try to refrain from telling people how they should react or perceive their own experiences?
I am not discounting their subjective experience or its validity by doing this
Last edited:
I missed the part where they asked for your opinionI will engage in dialogue and invite the person to rethink some of what they are experiencing. If I did not respect them and their opinion, I would not push back
I am not discounting their subjective experience by doing this
Also, you’re not challenging. You’re telling them how to feel there’s a big difference. It’s important to remember just because someone had a different experience than you doesn’t invalidate your experience or make theirs incorrect
Last edited:
purple3081
Full Member
i feel like this is all just proving futuredocgirls original point, no? how can a person claim that the student culture is welcoming while also 1) accusing other prospective students of basically lying about their experience during their zoom interview and 2) saying it seems like they have a “world is against me” mindset?Everyone’s experience is equally valid. Can we please try to refrain from telling people how they should react or perceive their own experiences?
ribonucleoprotein
Full Member
saying someone should rethink what THEY experienced is some serious gaslighting lol. two people had two very different experiences and I think its important for current and future applicants to know bothI will engage in dialogue and invite the person to rethink some of what they are experiencing. If I did not respect them and their opinion, I would not push back
I am not discounting their subjective experience or its validity by doing this
ufache10
Full Member
A person who is a longtime lurker felt the need to speak up about this persons consistent negativity. I think it is safe to say it is higher than normal.i feel like this is all just proving futuredocgirls original point, no? how can a person claim that the student culture is welcoming while also 1) accusing other prospective students of basically lying about their experience during their zoom interview and 2) saying it seems like they have a “world is against me” mindset?
Do you want to comment on the value of jewelry too?
I could have framed it in a less abrasive way. That is something I am working on
Once again, I think having a someone openly discuss with the person is more of a sign of respect and welcoming than just ignoring them.
ufache10
Full Member
Alright, I don’t think this it is getting anywhere.saying someone should rethink what THEY experienced is some serious gaslighting lol. two people had two very different experiences and I think its important for current and future applicants to know both
Inviting them to rethink some of what they experienced is not a big deal. If they come away with the same take-aways, that is fine
Wish you all well and am confident you will have a fantastic experience if you go to DGSOM 🙂
Also, I am still on the fence so do not let my behavior be the “DGSOM culture” gauge . If anything, the wonderful people standing up for them proves the point about the culture at DGSOM!
Last edited:
tweedledumb
Full Member
Withdrawing due to financial reasons. (did not attend SLW.) Hope this means good news soon for someone on the WL!
Hey had a pleasure meeting so many admitted students on Saturday! Hope you guys consider coming to DGSOM! It's lovely here genuinely, and I'm excited for you guys with the curriculum changes, I really think it'll make ya'll have a smoother experience than what me and my class have had! Any questions or concerns about DGSOM, feel free to PM me! Hopefully I can be a resource to help you make this really important decision on where to matriculate at.
best,
DNA
best,
DNA
edmejia
New Member
Was anyone able to get an impression of how the revised curriculum was perceived by incoming students? I'm in waitlist purgatory atm and wondering if there's a chance more spots will open up with the changes they've been making
At this point, I'd be extremely grateful to get in at any medical school 🙏
At this point, I'd be extremely grateful to get in at any medical school 🙏
Last edited:
D
deleted1208783
I actually really liked the changes to the curriculum and it showed that the school values student feedback and is willing to make changes as needed. Extending the preclinical to around 16 months seems like it will help students solidify information and take step 1 before starting clinical rotations. I think most of the incoming students liked it, but it’s also person dependent.Was anyone able to get an impression of how the revised curriculum was perceived by incoming students? I'm in waitlist purgatory atm and wondering if there's a chance more spots will open up with the changes they've been making
At this point, I'd be extremely grateful to get in at any medical school 🙏
I’m a bit sad about the dual degree program going away but my understanding is that it was just too much to handle on top of the discovery year and step 1/2 studying. This is what I was told during my interview day by third years who seemed really overwhelmed by being in the MBA program and studying for both step exams 6 weeks apart all while doing research. FYI these were the students who expressed wishing they chose a different school for these reasons (context for the person who basically accused me of lying in one of the comments above), so I’m glad these changes are being made. There is still an option to take a 5th year to complete a masters.
Last edited by a moderator:
artemisqueen
Full Member
Appreciate the update. Thank you!I actually really liked the changes to the curriculum and it showed that the school values student feedback and is willing to make changes as needed. Extending the preclinical to around 16 months seems like it will help students solidify information and take step 1 before starting clinical rotations. I think most of the incoming students liked it, but it’s also person dependent.
I’m a bit sad about the dual degree program going away but my understanding is that it was just too much to handle on top of the discovery year and step 1/2 studying. This is what I was told during my interview day by third years who seemed really overwhelmed by being in the MBA program and studying for both step exams 6 weeks apart all while doing research. FYI these were the students who expressed wishing they chose a different school for these reasons, so I’m glad these changes are being made. There is still an option to take a 5th year to complete a masters.
showcasepumpkin
Full Member
Can anyone speak on WL movement? When can we expect to hear back (if at all)?
Historically, it seems like we can expect movement beginning April 30Can anyone speak on WL movement? When can we expect to hear back (if at all)?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Moderator reminder:
All are welcome to share their impressions of this school on this message thread.
Telling each other what to think and feel is an odd way for you to be communicating with each other here.
The recent conversation about second look day has been reported by several of you
Continued gaslighting or harassment will roll out some warnings about treating each other with respect.
All are welcome to share their impressions of this school on this message thread.
Telling each other what to think and feel is an odd way for you to be communicating with each other here.
The recent conversation about second look day has been reported by several of you
Continued gaslighting or harassment will roll out some warnings about treating each other with respect.
workblurbs2025
Full Member
On their website it now says: "DGSOM will consider applications from U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and DACA recipients. Applicants who do not satisfy one of these requirements will not be considered." (here: Medical School Application | UCLA Medical School).is ucla really not taking any international students for the upcoming year?? Im kinda bummed, I really wanted to apply there and I am a Canadian citizen..
showcasepumpkin
Full Member
For high priority waitlist or for all waitlisted candidates?Historically, it seems like we can expect movement beginning April 30
All 🙂 Those on the "top of the waitlist" will be the first to hearFor high priority waitlist or for all waitlisted candidates?
workblurbs2025
Full Member
Do we know approximately how many people are on the "top of the waitlist"? I assume not all 150 people who get off the waitlist is on the top of the waitlist...🤔