campanelle
Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yes, same here and for others
Thanks!Same here!
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
yes, same here and for others
Thanks!Same here!
how is that possible? is that not like 90 percent of the class being made up of WL applicants alone?For anyone curious about why there is so many WL posts, this says UCLA has 250 WL spots and accepts ~150 off the WL. That number is pretty high especially compared to the other UCs
People who get off the waitlist reject their offer because at that point, they have no financial aid left over, especially in the post-David Geffen Scholarship era.how is that possible? is that not like 90 percent of the class being made up of WL applicants alone?
How does the financial aid work for accepted waitlist students? Is there really no aid left over? What about need-based aid?People who get off the waitlist reject their offer because at that point, they have no financial aid left over, especially in the post-David Geffen Scholarship era.
Going back to last year's thread, it appears the financial aid they give out is mainly in the form of loans (which to me, isn't really aid). But you may possibly get need-based aid if funds open up. It is unlikely to get a significant grant or scholarship above 10k; I believe tuition is around 100k a year, including the summer quarter. But don't give up hope, maybe they will get more donor funds at the last minute, who knows?How does the financial aid work for accepted waitlist students? Is there really no aid left over? What about need-based aid?
It's not on my CYMS yet either!Am I the only WL person that still isn't seeing the UCLA waitlist status in CYMS?
I don’t see it yet eitherAm I the only WL person that still isn't seeing the UCLA waitlist status in CYMS?
Wondering the same thing!For those on Traditional MD waitlist but were rejected from PRIME -LA, how do we change the “combined degree” to regular MD on AMCAS? It seems to be locked in.
I don’t think we can? I think they do take update letters thoughFor those on the WL, when can we start sending Letter of Intents?
When realistically can we start sending any updates? Like after April 30th? Or before? Because on Msar is says “ Waitlist procedures: Applicants on the waitlist will not be considered until after May 1, 2025“. I’m just really new to this waitlist system lolI don’t think we can? I think they do take update letters though
You can send it asap. I think that just means that applicants won’t get As of the WL until after May 1When realistically can we start sending any updates? Like after April 30th? Or before? Because on Msar is says “ Waitlist procedures: Applicants on the waitlist will not be considered until after May 1, 2025“. I’m just really new to this waitlist system lol
I don’t see it yet either
From the CYMS page: “The data below was provided to the AAMC by the medical schools.”Same. According to AMCAS CYMS alternate waitlist status is supposed to show up. Is there any reason why it might not be?
From the CYMS page: “The data below was provided to the AAMC by the medical schools.”
The reason is that it takes a human submitting the list to the AAMC. It will probably just take some time. My acceptance for a different school wasn’t submitted to AAMC until a month after I was admitted by the school.
No reason to stress!
I was told by a friend who is an M1 that you definitely don’t need a car for M1, but it would be really nice to have for certain clinical assignments. If the preclinical curriculum is lengthened to 1.5 years, I would presume you wouldn’t maybe want a car until the middle of M2Can any current students or LA locals comment on the state of public transportation or walkability of Westwood?
I don’t have a car, so I’m wondering if I can get away with it
You can if you stay within Westwood / Santa Mónica area I’d sayCan any current students or LA locals comment on the state of public transportation or walkability of Westwood?
I don’t have a car, so I’m wondering if I can get away with it
Need-based aid is fairly generous. Depending on how they calculate your need, you can get up to half tuition covered by need-based scholarships. Typically few merit-based scholarships are available by the time folks are getting off waitlist unless accepted students that have scholarships forgo their acceptance. In that case, more scholarships are freed up.How does the financial aid work for accepted waitlist students? Is there really no aid left over? What about need-based aid?
Westwood itself is easily walkable if you're living in Westwood (esp grad housing). Weyburn and Hilgard are within 10-15 min walk from DGSOM. Westwood itself has restaurants, target, CVS, trader joe's, ralph's, whole food's, etc etc, so you'll be completely fine without a car. During MS1, you'll have your EACE, which most students carpool for, so you aren't required to have a car. I will say that it's nice to have a car during MS1 year in order to fully enjoy everything around LA though.Can any current students or LA locals comment on the state of public transportation or walkability of Westwood?
When do we expect merit scholarships to be released?Need-based aid is fairly generous. Depending on how they calculate your need, you can get up to half tuition covered by need-based scholarships. Typically few merit-based scholarships are available by the time folks are getting off waitlist unless accepted students that have scholarships forgo their acceptance. In that case, more scholarships are freed up.
When do we expect merit scholarships to be released?
I lived in LA for almost a decade without a car, totally fine.Can any current students or LA locals comment on the state of public transportation or walkability of Westwood?
I don’t have a car, so I’m wondering if I can get away with it
I think the default is loans, not sure scholarship committee has met yet. Mine showed loans immediately before I even proved residencyJust got my financial aid. All loans. I got a full ride (COA covered too) from another T20 because my family is so poor, this is wild lol
Thanks for the info! I emailed the fin aid office on march 5th and they said “the scholarships committee will convene in the next few weeks” and “will share updated as they become available.” (emailed bc I have to choose what second look weekend to attend, such a nothingburger response)I think the default is loans, not sure scholarship committee has met yet. Mine showed loans immediately before I even proved residency
Yes, you're free to take a Leave of Absence from the medical school (either for research, pursuing dual degree, or personal reasons). No tuition during this time because you have no ties to the school during this year. Also means that you don't qualify for student health insurance through UCLA, no access to UCLA services (gym, rec classes, behavioral wellness center, UCLA grad bus), etc. Also some loan considerations there because you'll max out the grace period, so you can apply for forebearance (all things that the fin aid office is exerienced with cause many students have done this before you).Does UCLA allow students to take a dedicated research year (in addition to the discovery portion of the curriculum which looks like it will be shortened anyway if preclinical is extended)? And do students pay tuition during this time? Can’t find any information on that.
Totally understand feelings of walking through murky waters and not knowing what's ahead. Personal opinion, but I think it's a change for the better. Lengthening preclinical will give you more time to build that strong foundation knowledge before going into clerkships. Don't know what the official list of changes will be, but I saw a mention of requiring STEP 1 pass before starting clerkships, and I'm a proponent of that. Gives you that extra kick in the butt to make sure you have all your foundational stuff squared away before clerkships.Yeah I am a bit nervous about the change in curriculum and us being the first class with this modification. I am considering my options however, it is hard with incomplete information
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.