2024-2025 UCLA (Geffen)

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do we know approximately how many people are on the "top of the waitlist"? I assume not all 150 people who get off the waitlist is on the top of the waitlist...🤔
Someone said before (either here or last year) that the WL is split into 3 tiers, with most getting A's from "top" and some from the other tiers. So I would guess about 1/3 of the WL is "top"
 
Do we know approximately how many people are on the "top of the waitlist"? I assume not all 150 people who get off the waitlist is on the top of the waitlist...🤔
Year after year, they blow past the top of the waitlist and people who did not get that designation of their waitlist email still get acceptance offers. It'll just take a little longer to hear back from non top of the waitlist people cause top of the waitlist people get offers first. These folks may hold their offers for a couple days because they're waiting to hear back from other schools before making their decision, and it just sorta snowballs from there. For reference, latest offer I heard of someone getting was in July. Most will be early to late May.
 
This school offers full tuition scholarships? Is this scholarship based on merit or financial need?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If anyone receives some really good scholarships/financial aid, can you please disclose it if you feel comfortable? This would also help future students lurking in this thread as well!!
Please do - this would be very helpful. According to finaid, all scholarships have been sent out.
 
Can someone clarify if I understand correctly:

Currently we choose "Plan to enroll" and after April 30, we withdraw all other offers, except waitlist? Even though there's no scholarship or need based aid information yet? And by June 2nd we need to choose "Commit to Enroll" and withdraw all waitlist holds as well?
 
Can someone clarify if I understand correctly:

Currently we choose "Plan to enroll" and after April 30, we withdraw all other offers, except waitlist? Even though there's no scholarship or need based aid information yet? And by June 2nd we need to choose "Commit to Enroll" and withdraw all waitlist holds as well?
I believe it also depends on cte of the school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good. I still find it a little strange that they haven’t sent any post interview rejections yet. It’s really hard to tell how big the waitlist really is
Maybe those are still inbound may 1st hahaha

There seemed like a lot of movement last cycle after the whole curriculum viral post. Perhaps they are worried they will have similar movement?
 
Maybe those are still inbound may 1st hahaha

There seemed like a lot of movement last cycle after the whole curriculum viral post. Perhaps they are worried they will have similar movement?
that’s what I think too hahaha! It just doesn’t make sense if whether the people waiting for a decision are like “back ups” for the waitlist or if they are still in the running for an A. If that’s the case, I’m assuming DGSOM’s yield rate is super unpredictable
 
Maybe those are still inbound may 1st hahaha

There seemed like a lot of movement last cycle after the whole curriculum viral post. Perhaps they are worried they will have similar movement?
My mentor who returned from a T10 medical school as a guest speaker for their students/residents in the affiliate hospital stated people feel a similar sense of concern towards UCLA this cycle as well
 
that’s what I think too hahaha! It just doesn’t make sense if whether the people waiting for a decision are like “back ups” for the waitlist or if they are still in the running for an A. If that’s the case, I’m assuming DGSOM’s yield rate is super unpredictable
Are there a lot of folks waiting for a decision?
 
Are there a lot of folks waiting for a decision?
I’m not sure :/ I’m just assuming that anyone who hasn’t either gotten the R or the waitlist is just in a limbo. It’s just strange that we haven’t heard from those folks. It could mean either two things 1) everyone got waitlisted post interview and the waitlist is like 800 people lol 2) maybe not a lot of people are interested in going to UCLA so they don’t care to disclose that they’re still waiting
 
that’s what I think too hahaha! It just doesn’t make sense if whether the people waiting for a decision are like “back ups” for the waitlist or if they are still in the running for an A. If that’s the case, I’m assuming DGSOM’s yield rate is super unpredictable
Doubt they are in the running for an A esp beyond the PTE deadline. Pretty sure all the schools move people from their respective waitlists following the PTE date
 
I’m not sure :/ I’m just assuming that anyone who hasn’t either gotten the R or the waitlist is just in a limbo. It’s just strange that we haven’t heard from those folks. It could mean either two things 1) everyone got waitlisted post interview and the waitlist is like 800 people lol 2) maybe not a lot of people are interested in going to UCLA so they don’t care to disclose that they’re still waiting
Agree with the options you provided. This sounds more realistic
 
Agree with the options you provided. This sounds more realistic
I’m kinda thinking that it might be possibility 2 since based on the amount of people that reported being waitlisted on SDN and cycle track this year is very similar to the amount from last year. If it really was like 800 people that were waitlisted I’m sure waaaaay more people would’ve reported it
 
I’m kinda thinking that it might be possibility 2 since based on the amount of people that reported being waitlisted on SDN and cycle track this year is very similar to the amount from last year. If it really was like 800 people that were waitlisted I’m sure waaaaay more people would’ve reported it
Agreed. Two cycles ago, a ton of people reported of post-ii rejections
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am curious, is the drop in ranking from the current admistration cutting research funding? I am suprised to see most of the UC schools drop rankings, even UCSF.


Apparently, the admit.org people are now basing [or heavily basing] the entire rank list on "match list strength". I have a transcript saved from someone on their website corroborating this in case they try to fake news me. The algorithm they are using is completely different. New MSAR data had not even been released.

They are also seemingly treat the top 50 different than others in this algorithm.

I think it is very low-quality of them and borderline nefarious of them to have released updated rankings while not telling the general public that they are basically using an entirely new algorithm.

Their new algorithm is flawed imo, and I think hurts west coast schools because west coast residencies are ranked lower across the board on doximity.

Their new algorithm assumes that all people essentially just seek the best ranked residency possible regardless of geographic location, which is just simply not true lol

Again, I do not know why they released these rankings right before impressionable students make decisions while also not sharing they changed how they are doing it.

They are not factoring ANYTHING [or nearly anything] but match list for the top 50, but that seems to be clear to no one. I had to ask them on their chat feature for them to tell me they decided to make this change. I.e yield, research funding, number of low SES students, etc. none of that is in their rankings anymore lol [according to the person I talked to on their website]
===========================
Source:
02:45 PM | J------ from Admit: For the top 50 schools, we didn’t incorporate stats - we based their algo largely on the past 2 years of match lists (and next year will be based on 3 years, so larger sample size)

02:46 PM | J------ from Admit: Match lists are the most indicative of a med school’s strength (as long as the sample size of years is broad enough)

02:46 PM | J------ from Admit: Because it includes factors like regional connections, specialty strength (like UMiami having very strong nsgy and ophtho programs), etc

02:55 PM | J------ from Admit: As for a disclaimer - we’re trying to move away from publicly posting in places just so that it doesn’t feel like we’re trying to moderate/sway discussion

02:55 PM | J------ from Admit: We want it to be open - if people want to discuss admit they can, and if not then not

02:57 PM | J------ from Admit: At the end of the day, it wouldn’t make sense to use number of low or high SES accepted students as a control. We did that last year because we had to adjust for MCAT scores

03:00 PM | J------ from Admit: Measuring the ending outcomes with match lists just made the most sense for this year

03:14 PM | J------- from Admit: Match lists are just the most ironclad way to have rankings right now, and they’re an improvement on last year

03:15 PM | J------ from Admit: And the best part about Match lists, they include factors that couldn’t be ranked before such as prestige, program director strength, specialty strength, etc
 
Last edited:
Addressed the same post above on Reddit which contains quite a bit of wrong info and is being spammed for some reason. You can see my reply here.

TLDR: Methodology is the same with match lists added as a relatively small component. Match list strength is primarily based on IM + boosts/penalties based on the ability of the school to send applicants to non-home programs. Methodology is being released soon after the essay manager - I was sick and had an exam 🙂
 
Last edited:
Addressed the same post above on Reddit which contains quite a bit of wrong info and is being spammed for some reason. You can see my reply here.

TLDR: Methodology is the same with match lists added as a relatively small component. Match list strength is primarily based on IM + boosts/penalties based on the ability of the school to send applicants to non-home programs.
Yeah, thanks. Originally based on the replies from someone else on website.

Will look forward to methodology being linked next to the rank list when things are completed.
 
Sorry for clarification, the rankings are or are not heavily based on match list? If so, is it based on speciality or program strength? I have a hard time understanding why match list would be so heavily emphasized when most people choose to do their training close to a support system/family.
From his reddit post: "Hey, the ranking methodology is similar to last year with the exception of match list strength which was added this year - I'm currently working on a full blog post which will go into everything since it's been highly requested.

To give a summary, match list strength is evaluated based on three factors:

  1. The ability of a medical school to match applicants into competitive specialties (surgical specialties, derm, rads, etc).
  2. The quality of the residency programs that the applicants are matching into.
  3. The ability for medical schools to send applicants outside of their home program into the above two categories (boosts and penalties are applied if a school can only match students into competitive home programs, for example).
For the most part, the rankings are largely the same but it's clear that the new methodology is quite an improvement compared to the old one: you can see this in the ranks of Dartmouth and Case Western, for example, who have strong match lists but were overpenalized by small research funding which isn't the greatest metric. Next year I plan on adding Step 2 to the methodology which will take some weight off of MCAT and GPA as well."

To answer your question, they are indeed putting most/ a lot of the weight on match list. This can be perceived as flawed. This is why I want them to put the algorithm / methodology linked next to the rankings soon so that people can see what is going into them and judge for themselves their utility.

My goal with all of this was to make people not worry as much about those rankings.