2024-2025 Virginia Commonwealth

Started by wysdoc
Tags Tags
question
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@othersfactor-scw @Hyun Chong any ideas why? mcat/gpa within range?
For me I assume it’s my GPA. I have a very strong mcat and EC’s (and am confident in my writing)…my gpa is in their previously accepted range but is absolutely the weak point of my app.

Like another said below, I was at a T5 in a hard stem major
 
Last edited:
@othersfactor-scw @Hyun Chong any ideas why? mcat/gpa within range?
MCAT 519, cGPA 3.92, sGPA 3.95. I think in the "why us" essay I was trying to hard to sell myself and not my enthusiasm for the school. I told them about how I want to address health disparities and wrote about an experience I had an EMT, but my mention of the school was a cliff note in the last paragraph.
 
Thank you! Can you remark on how easy is it to get involved with research at VCU? On their website they have a lot of resources and contacts for getting involved, so I'm guessing it's fairly easy?
we have a deans summer research program where they give u a 3k stipend over M1 summer to do research, so its definitely something the medical school puts a priority in, they also recently created a website of all the PI's looking for student, that being said, it still took me about a month or so after cold emailing to lock down research, it all really comes down to timing - almost everyone i know that has wanted research has gotten research
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any reapplicants wanna give some insights on how you answered the "What additional qualifications do you have" question? The 150 character limit is throwing me off. Like are they looking for a list?
 
When choosing the specialties, if I want to do something beyond internal medicine (e.g., endocrinology), do I choose Undecided or Internal Medicine?
 
For those that have applied to VCU's MSTP program, what are the LOR requirements/recommendations? I cannot find information about them anywhere... Are they just the same as MD only?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
for question q regarding how our mission/values align with VCU's missions/values, did yall select just one to focus on? it seems hard to include more than 1 without fully developing that idea/value
 
Does anyone have Casper show up as a required material in the Status Page? I sent my score but I don't see a row for Casper.
I wonder if they do this so that your application is marked "complete" and they can review it before they get your score, but they might hold off on sending an interview invite before your score comes back? idk just a guess
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm sorry :/, with that LM you will have plenty of options though!

I can't tell if they are going in order by secondary submission or just sending these things out randomly
Its *probably* a mix of both. Id assume they go in order ranking applicants (with whatever metrics they use), and every week or two they cut the people at the bottom of the pyramid. Trying to guess these things is a total crapshoot, though.
 
Its *probably* a mix of both. Id assume they go in order ranking applicants (with whatever metrics they use), and every week or two they cut the people at the bottom of the pyramid. Trying to guess these things is a total crapshoot, though.
Yeah that makes sense, bc by all metrics I submitted my secondary on 7/6 and have far worse stats. So it just seems to be very random and a crapshoot on how these things are approached.