2024-2025 Virginia Commonwealth

Started by wysdoc
Tags Tags
question
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Apart from the brief mention in the interview invitation email, does VCU offer any further details about their MMI format? Specifically, I'm wondering about things like whether it's blinded, if role-play scenarios are included, how much preparation time we have/time to give the response, and the expected response format (e.g., will be basically be giving a short speech in response to the MMI question or having a convo with the person running the MMI station)
 
Apart from the brief mention in the interview invitation email, does VCU offer any further details about their MMI format? Specifically, I'm wondering about things like whether it's blinded, if role-play scenarios are included, how much preparation time we have/time to give the response, and the expected response format (e.g., will be basically be giving a short speech in response to the MMI question or having a convo with the person running the MMI station)
From what I understand in speaking with VCU students and those who have interviewed there in the past, you will have a 14 min “Why medicine” question, followed by 6 MMI scenarios where you have 2 minutes to think about the question and 6 minutes to respond. Of course, this is based on prior interviews so it could have changed. I’ve heard if you don’t use the full 6 minutes to answer the MMIs, there will be conversational follow up questions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From what I understand in speaking with VCU students and those who have interviewed there in the past, you will have a 14 min “Why medicine” question, followed by 6 MMI scenarios where you have 2 minutes to think about the question and 6 minutes to respond. Of course, this is based on prior interviews so it could have changed. I’ve heard if you don’t use the full 6 minutes to answer the MMIs, there will be conversational follow up questions.

Do you think they expect us to use the full 6 mins or do you think they want the conversation after our answer?
 
From what I understand in speaking with VCU students and those who have interviewed there in the past, you will have a 14 min “Why medicine” question, followed by 6 MMI scenarios where you have 2 minutes to think about the question and 6 minutes to respond. Of course, this is based on prior interviews so it could have changed. I’ve heard if you don’t use the full 6 minutes to answer the MMIs, there will be conversational follow up questions.
This is so helpful, thank you!
 
"I hereby attest that the work and information contained within the primary and supplemental applications are a product of my own work that was unaided by artificial intelligence programs or other outside sources." so like we can't have a friend help proofread?
 
Do you think they expect us to use the full 6 mins or do you think they want the conversation after our answer?
I would say if you need 6 minutes to answer the situation while staying succinct, do that. If you answer the question fully in less than 6 minutes, converse. There’s likely not a right/wrong way about it.
 
I have a 3.93 GPA, but I got a B- in Organic Chem II. Should I explain this for the low grades/poor GPA? I already have an essay written because USF and Johns Hopkins asked me to explain grades below a B. Ty guys!
 
For the mission and values secondary question, did people try to incorporate all the values into their essay or did anyone focus on a specific few? I feel like I'm struggling with this question in particular especially since they have like 6 values /:
 
For the mission and values secondary question, did people try to incorporate all the values into their essay or did anyone focus on a specific few? I feel like I'm struggling with this question in particular especially since they have like 6 values /:
I focused on the ones that aligned with my personal mission and could show I have engaged with through my activities.
 
Has anyone had any luck substituting the English prerequisite for other writing intensive courses? I've delayed my submission for weeks waiting to hear back from them about confirmation on this before I submit.
 
Has anyone had any luck substituting the English prerequisite for other writing intensive courses? I've delayed my submission for weeks waiting to hear back from them about confirmation on this before I submit.
thats what i did for my app 2 years ago and it was accepted, no questions asked
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am incredible grateful to have an offer from VCU. Now that I am looking ahead, I am wondering if it may restrict me in any way in terms of the possible residencies I can match into. As of now, I'm not set on a specialty and am looking to explore throughout med school; however, in the case that I may end up striving for a competitive one, how much could VCU potentially "hold me back"? For example, would general surgery or gastro be difficult to achieve there as compared to a "higher ranked" school?
 
I am incredible grateful to have an offer from VCU. Now that I am looking ahead, I am wondering if it may restrict me in any way in terms of the possible residencies I can match into. As of now, I'm not set on a specialty and am looking to explore throughout med school; however, in the case that I may end up striving for a competitive one, how much could VCU potentially "hold me back"? For example, would general surgery or gastro be difficult to achieve there as compared to a "higher ranked" school?
I've merged your question and the responses with the existing school-specific thread.
 
Accredited GME programs: 83
2023 NIH funding: $106 million through 267 awards

I think you control your own destiny here.
Thank you for all of your supportive responses. I feel much better now, knowing that I can focus solely on my growth as a physician rather than worrying about these extraneous things.
 
About to submit application, but I'm only taking CASPER Sept 17th -- is the application not complete until casper scores are received? Asking since the score for the date that I am taking it would only be in by after the 60 day deadline
 
About to submit application, but I'm only taking CASPER Sept 17th -- is the application not complete until casper scores are received? Asking since the score for the date that I am taking it would only be in by after the 60 day deadline
The deadline is specific to secondary submission, not necessarily complete date!

Your app wont be complete without the score, but some schools will still review your app prior to receiving CASPER scores. Not sure if VCU does, though.
 
I am incredible grateful to have an offer from VCU. Now that I am looking ahead, I am wondering if it may restrict me in any way in terms of the possible residencies I can match into. As of now, I'm not set on a specialty and am looking to explore throughout med school; however, in the case that I may end up striving for a competitive one, how much could VCU potentially "hold me back"? For example, would general surgery or gastro be difficult to achieve there as compared to a "higher ranked" school?
I’m confused - if you have an offer this early, does that mean you applied early decision? Yet you weren’t sure if you even wanted to go there?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OOS II!!!! Complete 7/8. I was given the option of interviewing on Thursday so I chose that lol.
(no ties to VA, regular MD only).
 
Last edited:
International II received submitted 7/10!
Congrats to those who got II! Have you guys received your Zoom links? I only have the confirmation email so far
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad