2025-2026 Massachusetts

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

This morning I got an email that I was rejected from the PURCH track but still under consideration for MD? I've been under review since 7/10 and was wondering if anyone knew from past forms/experiences if I can pretty much assume I'm going to get rejected or if there's still a chance I could receive an interview for the MD program? Thank you
 
I am still waiting for a secondary applied to this school on friday I thought everyone in-state got an application?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Maybe I misunderstood but I thought first q was if you did not use it at all, second was if you used it for grammar. So I thought no to both would indicate you used ai fully, saying yes to first indicates no ai use. Whoops I said yes to first and no to the second
 
Maybe I misunderstood but I thought first q was if you did not use it at all, second was if you used it for grammar. So I thought no to both would indicate you used ai fully, saying yes to first indicates no ai use. Whoops I said yes to first and no to the second
This is also how I understood it, I also said yes to the first and no to the second to indicate I didn't use AI
 
Maybe I misunderstood but I thought first q was if you did not use it at all, second was if you used it for grammar. So I thought no to both would indicate you used ai fully, saying yes to first indicates no ai use. Whoops I said yes to first and no to the second
This is what I did, I think we needed to select yes to one of the two statements.
 
sorry to post about this again, but ive been waiting for a secondary for about a month now and im in-state applicant (within their stats range too) . Is anyone else experiencing this?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sorry to post about this again, but ive been waiting for a secondary for about a month now and im in-state applicant (within their stats range too) . Is anyone else experiencing this?
According to the AAMC, UMass does look at your primary before sending a secondary by invite only. Could be possible they did not send you one, but I'd definitely reach out to the admissions office to see if they made a mistake or not.
 
sorry to post about this again, but ive been waiting for a secondary for about a month now and im in-state applicant (within their stats range too) . Is anyone else experiencing this?
UMass screens. I added them late and received a secondary within a week. It may not be a stats screen, but you may be missing hours in a clinical or non-clinical volunteering capacity that kept you from receiving it. Double check it is not in spam or you missed it, but at this point reaching out only gives you positive outcomes. You either get the secondary (yay!) or you get hit with the mercy of the rejection.
 
UMass screens. I added them late and received a secondary within a week. It may not be a stats screen, but you may be missing hours in a clinical or non-clinical volunteering capacity that kept you from receiving it. Double check it is not in spam or you missed it, but at this point reaching out only gives you positive outcomes. You either get the secondary (yay!) or you get hit with the mercy of the rejection.
According to the AAMC, UMass does look at your primary before sending a secondary by invite only. Could be possible they did not send you one, but I'd definitely reach out to the admissions office to see if they made a mistake or not.
yea that does not seem right. check junk and if not then call.
Ok thank you guys. For context, I called them about 10days after i sent my primary to them (already verified) and they said I was still under review. atp though, i still have not received anything and think its a bit suspicious. Im not sure if its an EC thing either, I have 2k clinical hours and over 200 volunteer hours so who knows. I sent them an email, so we'll see lol
 
Do people who have already interviewed feel generally good about how it went? Mine is coming up and I feel prepared but am worried about them asking questions I might get stuck on; I found some example questions online but these seem fairly complex so I just wanted to gauge whether similar questions are asked on the real thing such as designing community interventions or questions where we have to be familiar with MA laws
 
Last edited:
For those who have gotten a II, did you also receive an email about a virtual Special Topics session being cancelled? When I log into the portal, I only see the Q&A session tab, but I don't see a Special Topics session listed anywhere. Anyone know where we can find this info? 🙂 TIA!
The earliest date I saw was Sept. 22, and that was a few weeks ago! Seems like it has been cancelled for a while and they’re just now sending an email.
 
Does anyone know if there is a timer during the two minutes or is that something we have to estimate?
 
Does anyone know if there is a timer during the two minutes or is that something we have to estimate?
They keep track of the time, after the prompt has been shown the host sends a message to each break out room stating that the two minutes are up. For my MMIs I found it helpful to minimize my zoom browser and keep a small online clock in the corner so i could keep track of it myself
 
Current student here! I am happy to answer any questions, within reason.

Additionally, I want to encourage individuals to avoid the use of AI to write the content of secondaries, personal statements, etc. It is OK to use it to check grammar, but as someone who mentors applicants, it is very obvious when an applicant has used AI. I urge you all to showcase your abilities to independently think and effectively write about your own experiences; it is pretty disheartening to read an applicant's essay that sounds like AI due to structure and word choices.
 
Has anyone completed the PURCH track interview yet? I am trying to gauge how it may be different than other med schools general interviews
 
Does anyone know if they count all interview stations towards our final decision or is it maybe only a few they take into consideration? The more I think about it the more I realize I bombed one of them for sure and am crashing out a bit 🥲
 
Does anyone know if they count all interview stations towards our final decision or is it maybe only a few they take into consideration? The more I think about it the more I realize I bombed one of them for sure and am crashing out a bit 🥲
They weigh them all but mmi is built so if you bomb one it’s not the end of the world vs bombing the entire interview. Think of the good side that it could be much worse and you only lose x% of the points.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do we think mid-September interviewees might hear back by oct 15? Idk how anxious to be when that day comes🤣I think mid-September interviewees could def hear back, I think some ppl who had interviews in October even heard back in the same month last cycle.
I think mid-September interviewees could def hear back! I was looking through the thread from last cycle and it seemed like some ppl who interviewed in Oct even heard back the same month. Ngl I'm already so nervous thinking that I could possibly hear back from schools soon. Wishing us good luck!!
 
It really feels like UMass has absolutely no love for its IS applicants. Almost bordering on contempt even. Why even bother calling yourself a state school
1759954525055.png

You're joking right?
 
It is literally a 50% chance for an II, what more do you want from them lmao
I didnt interview here last year. I do wish they had more favoritism towards in state especially because we have a sizable applicant pool. Look at Florida or some of the UCs for example. I am not asking for 100% like ECU but I think giving 80%ish of As to IS would be nice. I am a pretty qualified applicant for the school (research heavy strong LM) so it would have been nice to turn it into an II. But to say they have no love for IS is just untrue when they do have a preference for IS.
 
I do wish they had more favoritism towards in state especially because we have a sizable applicant pool.
Mass applicants were only 1,300 that is not sizable. The other places you listed have over 2x the number of applicants. I get wanting more IS representation, but you cannot compare them to those schools when they have 3,500 and 6,700 applicants.
I am a pretty qualified applicant for the school (research heavy strong LM) so it would have been nice to turn it into an II. But to say they have no love for IS is just untrue when they do have a preference for IS.
It doesn't help y'all have so many good schools, if anything I would be complaining about that.
 
In my opinion i’d prefer the current IS interview to acceptance ratio because while they may not interview that many, those who do get interviews in state know they have a fair chance at acceptance. I’m OOS and interviewed and seeing the ratio of 628 interviewees with only around 80 OOS As stresses me out haha
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mass applicants were only 1,300 that is not sizable. The other places you listed have over 2x the number of applicants. I get wanting more IS representation, but you cannot compare them to those schools when they have 3,500 and 6,700 applicants.

It doesn't help y'all have so many good schools, if anything I would be complaining about that.
We have one public school. California and Florida have like 10 and 7 (off the top of my head) respectively.

North Carolina has more applicants than MA despite having ecu that is instate only. I’m not stating the balance is unfair currently but I am saying it would be nice. Especially as a state with a fairly high MCAT average it would be reasonable to ask that when we have 3 great other options for those looking to come to MA.
 
In my opinion i’d prefer the current IS interview to acceptance ratio because while they may not interview that many, those who do get interviews in state know they have a fair chance at acceptance. I’m OOS and interviewed and seeing the ratio of 628 interviewees with only around 80 OOS As stresses me out haha
Yea this is why I agree it’s pretty fair now. High II->A rate is good. If they were to go towards more IS favored I’d hope the ratio would stay constant.
 
We have one public school. California and Florida have like 10 and 7 (off the top of my head) respectively.
Those states also have over 3x the overall population… again it’s a numbers game. I’m all for increasing number of public medical schools, especially in states that need it to address health needs per state.
North Carolina has more applicants than MA despite having ecu that is instate only.
Yes, when a state has more applicants they should be trying to accommodate them and keep them in state. North Carolina drastically needs physicians and the best way to get them is to keep your IS applicants.
I’m not stating the balance is unfair currently but I am saying it would be nice. Especially as a state with a fairly high MCAT average it would be reasonable to ask that when we have 3 great other options for those looking to come to MA.
Nah it’s unfair only to have one public school, but imo UMass does a good job balancing. They give 50% of IS kids that apply a shot and take 50% of them. Outside of opening more schools I don’t know how else to do it, especially when so many of your IS A’s that you give end up going to other programs.