2025-2026 Michigan

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I heard that it may have something to do with COVID but cannot confirm. Hopefully everybody stays safe!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No idea, there is physical construction that shut down the building the last two weekends in a row. I am sure there is also shutdown times for the actual admissions offices.
haha, oh you meant the admissions building being physically renovated. I thought oyu meant the admissions process.
 
Wait i did not look at the forum for a bit. i did not mean for it to be serious or offensive I am sorry if anyone got hurt reading it. I know that whoever shared that info meant no harm because why would they.
 
do A's come out by email or do they call? I see on their instagram page the first A got a FaceTime call? is that the norm?
 
do A's come out by email or do they call? I see on their instagram page the first A got a FaceTime call? is that the norm?
I saw previous years getting a call. FaceTime is kind of funny though 😭. Seems like it happened at night. One of my friends got his A at midnight apparently
 
I saw previous years getting a call. FaceTime is kind of funny though 😭. Seems like it happened at night. One of my friends got his A at midnight apparently
If you know someone currently at the school they like them to be the ones to tell you (in person, facetime, phone, etc). They will normally publish a list of accepted students to everyone at the medical school and ask if anyone who knows them would like to tell them the news.
 
Wait sorry I need more information about this list lol. I definitely thought this was an exaggeration, does a list actually go out to the entire medical school with the names of students who have been accepted? Or are they emailing current students lists of students from their alma maters who have been accepted? How do they keep it a secret so well if it goes out to the whole school?
Not sure how this specific list works but I know michigan gives out interviewee info to students. Picture, hometown, hobby, and fun fact I believe
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It’s a literal list with student names. They don’t really care about privacy. Usually students have 1-2 days to reach out before the actual email goes out.
 
Wait sorry I need more information about this list lol. I definitely thought this was an exaggeration, does a list actually go out to the entire medical school with the names of students who have been accepted? Or are they emailing current students lists of students from their alma maters who have been accepted? How do they keep it a secret so well if it goes out to the whole school?
You can sign up to call someone if you know them. There is no list that goes out to the entire medical school with names of students who have been accepted. When people interview, you can see who is interviewing, and then sign up to call them IF they get accepted.
 
Congrats to everyone accepted! Received a deferred decision - anyone know if I should hold out hope / if deferred decision candidates historically have been admitted?
 
Congrats to everyone accepted! Received a deferred decision - anyone know if I should hold out hope / if deferred decision candidates historically have been admitted?
Deferred historically has meant finding out in the next wave of decisions, but last year people waited longer. I don't think anyone on SDN got an A from the deferral and all waited until March to be waitlisted. I cannot comment on total numbers, but anyone getting accepted from the deferral was miniscule and no one was taken off the waitlist (source: Carol).
 
yeah me too... I was wondering when I may hear a decision/ should I send an letter of interest or anything?
Meaningful update letters are helpful, but only if they are significant. Letters of interest don't really do anything at top programs as everyone including you are interested. My advice would be an update later in the cycle combined with voicing your intent to join their program if accepted.

Also to all those deferred, a lot of what happens in the cycle is out of your hands. Just know that you went in and did the best you could and it is their loss if they don't see what you have to contribute to their program.
 
Deferred historically has meant finding out in the next wave of decisions, but last year people waited longer. I don't think anyone on SDN got an A from the deferral and all waited until March to be waitlisted. I cannot comment on total numbers, but anyone getting accepted from the deferral was miniscule and no one was taken off the waitlist (source: Carol).
Got it, thanks for the info!
 
It looks like two people with early interviews on admit were deferred last year, one of them accepted the month after, the other waitlisted. Low n, but it looks like more people are getting deferred this year compared to last (also could be due to ppl not updated admit with their A yet). I bet it's because of the crazy applicant spike, they had about 8,000 last year but 11,500 so far this year. Hopefully we get in :xf:
Screenshot 2025-10-21 at 11.32.33 AM.png

Screenshot 2025-10-21 at 11.34.44 AM.png
 
How late do you think deferred people should send updates?
Id probs do feb. But idk how much difference it makes. They probably have some sort of rubric for mmis and stuff. My guess is if you got deferred, and future interviewees dont perform better than your score, you get in. If they outscore you, then they will probs get in. Idk. That's my guess (im assuming everyone who gets ii from umich has very strong files, so i think most of it comes down to mmi performance).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I bet it's because of the crazy applicant spike, they had about 8,000 last year but 11,500 so far this year. Hopefully we get in .

The TMDSAS website also shows a spike of about 7% in applicants this year. I wonder who these applicants are. It's not like you can be an MIS major, see that the job market is not going well, and then decide last second to switch and just apply to medical school.
 
It looks like two people with early interviews on admit were deferred last year, one of them accepted the month after, the other waitlisted. Low n, but it looks like more people are getting deferred this year compared to last (also could be due to ppl not updated admit with their A yet). I bet it's because of the crazy applicant spike, they had about 8,000 last year but 11,500 so far this year. Hopefully we get in :xf:
View attachment 410819
View attachment 410820
They had 10400 apps last year
 
Moderator note:
This is a thread to discuss applications to Michigan, off-topic posts have been cleaned up so applicants can find the relevant posts.
Start putting yourselves in a professional mindset because if you harassed each other like this in your med school the consequences would be real.
 
Had a dream last night that I received an email from uofm about a portal message. Opened it and...it was promotional content :soexcited:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any advice on Michigan's MMI?
Can't say too much, but I really enjoyed it! Out of the 2 MMIs I've done, Michigan definitely takes the cake as the one with the nicest people who genuinely seem interested in what you have to say. The team also does a great job at putting you at ease before it starts, I recall us doing some breathing and stretching exercise.
 
I know there has probably been 300 questions like this, but should I be worried? I interviewed on on 9/22 and have not heard anything back from Wayne State. I had assumed that Wayne usually gets back to students within a month or so based on what some of my friends told me. Am I wrong and should I just relax or what?
 
I know there has probably been 300 questions like this, but should I be worried? I interviewed on on 9/22 and have not heard anything back from Wayne State. I had assumed that Wayne usually gets back to students within a month or so based on what some of my friends told me. Am I wrong and should I just relax or what?
This is the Michigan thread