You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2025-2026 UTMB (Sealy)
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
No, everyone who has interviewed has a chance to match. UTMB has had a large number of prematch offers in past years, but when a new admissions director comes in they can chart their own course and strategy. “A new broom sweeps clean”If we don’t prematch, are chances for matching slim for UTMB?
Last edited:
Thanks!No, everyone who has interviewed has a chance to match. UTMB has had a large number of prematch offers in past years, but when a new admissions director comes in they can chart their own course and strategy. “A new broom sweeps clean”
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
InnerPeace02
Full Member
To accept a prematch, do you just choose accept on the school portal? Is there any other step that you need to do?
That's all you need to do for now.To accept a prematch, do you just choose accept on the school portal? Is there any other step that you need to do?
You also need to rank all the TMDSAS schools where you interviewed before Jan 30 on your TMDSAS portal. If you rank your pre-match school as #1, that's where you will be matched.
unmaskedvillian
Full Member
if i make my rank now, can i change it later?That's all you need to do for now.
You also need to rank all the TMDSAS schools where you interviewed before Jan 30 on your TMDSAS portal. If you rank your pre-match school as #1, that's where you will be matched.
You can change it as much as you want until Jan 30if i make my rank now, can i change it later?
The last time you save it before 5 pm on Jan 30 is your “official” rank order.
Take a screen shot of it too!
No-Paramedic1234
Full Member
What is the process for submitting a letter of intent
D
deleted1227475
What’s the purpose of the screenshot? Just for record keeping purposes? Thanks!You can change it as much as you want until Jan 30
The last time you save it before 5 pm on Jan 30 is your “official” rank order.
Take a screen shot of it too!
Because every year some applicants get worried about what rank they eventually submitted. Take the screenshot for your own peace of mind.What’s the purpose of the screenshot? Just for record keeping purposes? Thanks!
At the 5 PM deadline your list will be officially submitted and disappear from your portal!
D
deleted1227475
Thank you!Because every year some applicants get worried about what rank they eventually submitted. Take the screenshot for your own peace of mind.
At the 5 PM deadline your list will be officially submitted and disappear from your portal!
You email it to them. It's in their admissions policies FAQsWhat is the process for submitting a letter of intent
unmaskedvillian
Full Member
Historically, when is UTMBs next wave of prematches?
We’ve had a new dean of admissions almost every year it feels, so historical data is a little skewed at this point 😅
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don’t know the answer to that question for this school, but it’s perfectly reasonable to email the financial aid office and ask.Does UTMB give nominal scholarships to help OOS students obtain in state tuition? If I am a former Texas resident, can I qualify for instate tuition in latter years? (Might not be the right forum but admissions offices are closed)
The answer to your second question about being able to earn TX resident status after the first year is no.
I hope you can get in-state tuition but if not, the OOS tuition is still much lower than most AMCAS schools
They dont have an automatic policy but if you are interested in attending and it can make a difference, you should let them know.Does UTMB give nominal scholarships to help OOS students obtain in state tuition? If I am a former Texas resident, can I qualify for instate tuition in latter years? (Might not be the right forum but admissions offices are closed)
luckylucy132
Full Member
It’s typically lined up with preview days and the next preview day is January 9th. I don’t imagine it would be before then due to the holidays but who knowsHistorically, when is UTMBs next wave of prematches?
Can any tell me what a typical day is like for yourself as a UTMB student? Is attendance mandatory? How often are classes? Do you have a good school/life balance? Are research opportunities readily available? How is the mentoring? Is being on the Island isolating? How often do you get to go home/ if any? Apart from that, is there anything you wish you could change/ dislike currently? I had the opportunity to interview in October and really loved all the students on the panels answers but would like some more perspectives! Thanks!
@mgnhrtn take a few minutes to read through this message thread, there have been several current students tell about their experiences here and answered all those questionsCan any tell me what a typical day is like for yourself as a UTMB student? Is attendance mandatory? How often are classes? Do you have a good school/life balance? Are research opportunities readily available? How is the mentoring? Is being on the Island isolating? How often do you get to go home/ if any? Apart from that, is there anything you wish you could change/ dislike currently? I had the opportunity to interview in October and really loved all the students on the panels answers but would like some more perspectives! Thanks!
Attendance is mandatory for PBLs, TBLs, CBLs…. basically anything that is interactive. There are some mandatory lectures. Classes will vary depending on which course you’re in. You can typically expect PBLs 3x/wk MWF with a TBL or other group activity on Tues/Thurs. Upperclassman are very willing to help out and interest groups will have formal mentorship programs.Can any tell me what a typical day is like for yourself as a UTMB student? Is attendance mandatory? How often are classes? Do you have a good school/life balance? Are research opportunities readily available? How is the mentoring? Is being on the Island isolating? How often do you get to go home/ if any? Apart from that, is there anything you wish you could change/ dislike currently? I had the opportunity to interview in October and really loved all the students on the panels answers but would like some more perspectives! Thanks!
The one challenge is that things change fast around here. The curriculum will be very different, if not completely different, when yall start MS1, so advice that may have worked this year will be moot next year. We are not always well informed of changes as students, but it’s something you come to accept and work around 😅
I do not live on island nor does my family live anywhere near enough to visit so I cannot answer those questions.
thank you so much for this!! is your exam schedule pretty consistent or does it differ block by block?Attendance is mandatory for PBLs, TBLs, CBLs…. basically anything that is interactive. There are some mandatory lectures. Classes will vary depending on which course you’re in. You can typically expect PBLs 3x/wk MWF with a TBL or other group activity on Tues/Thurs. Upperclassman are very willing to help out and interest groups will have formal mentorship programs.
The one challenge is that things change fast around here. The curriculum will be very different, if not completely different, when yall start MS1, so advice that may have worked this year will be moot next year. We are not always well informed of changes as students, but it’s something you come to accept and work around 😅
I do not live on island nor does my family live anywhere near enough to visit so I cannot answer those questions.
I know someone living in clear lake who was going home every weekend (30-40 minutes). Dallas is a 5-6 hour drive from UTMB.Just chiming off of mgnhrtn’s question, How often do students who live in the Dallas area typically get to visit home? I know it’s person dependent, but is once a month (maybe 2 times on rare occasions) realistic?
Yeah 30-40 min is doable for each weekend — that’s why I was assuming once a month for Dallas would be the amountI know someone living in clear lake who was going home every weekend (30-40 minutes). Dallas is a 5-6 hour drive from UTMB.
@chicandtoughness used to be from Dallas as an applicant. Not sure if its home or just work.Yeah 30-40 min is doable for each weekend — that’s why I was assuming once a month for Dallas would be the amount
@mayaq, what would you do at "home" that you couldn't do with phone or FaceTime calls, rather than wasting a full day of travel time?Just chiming off of mgnhrtn’s question, How often do students who live in the Dallas area typically get to visit home? I know it’s person dependent, but is once a month (maybe 2 times on rare occasions) realistic?
You will be the one with the killer schedule now, your fam can be the ones to travel to see you.
Yes, not a dealbreaker at all, just asking for logistics/to get an idea what other students do@mayaq, what would you do at "home" that you couldn't do with phone or FaceTime calls, rather than wasting a full day of travel time?
You will be the one with the killer schedule now, your fam can be the ones to travel to see you.
Yep, family usually makes the TLC trips more than the kid at these distances.@mayaq, what would you do at "home" that you couldn't do with phone or FaceTime calls, rather than wasting a full day of travel time?
You will be the one with the killer schedule now, your fam can be the ones to travel to see you.
The exam schedule is usually published a year in advance so that you can plan. The 2026-2027 calendar is published already but the exam schedule is not published yet because of our significant curriculum changes. You can kind of guesstimate where the exams will fall as you'll have a midterm halfway through the course and a final at the end, usually on a Thursday or Friday. But you can look at the 2025-2026 calendar for an example of what it would look like. See here: Academic Calendarthank you so much for this!! is your exam schedule pretty consistent or does it differ block by block?
Just chiming off of mgnhrtn’s question, How often do students who live in the Dallas area typically get to visit home? I know it’s person dependent, but is once a month (maybe 2 times on rare occasions) realistic?
I previously worked there and my partner at the time lived in the area. We visited each other about once a month, trading off months. So I was making the drive about once every other month. I honestly hated it. To maximize time I would drive out after classes on Friday (usually hitting a nasty rush hour in one city or the other depending on when I left) and then drive back in the wee hours of Monday morning (like leaving around 4:30-5am so I could make it back for 10am class). So you're getting 2 days and some change in exchange for 10 grueling hours of driving, 15-20 hours of which are spent sleeping anyways lol. And idk about you, but I do not study well when I'm around my non-med school friends and family because I want to maximize time with them.@chicandtoughness used to be from Dallas as an applicant. Not sure if its home or just work.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Makes sense, thank you so much for taking the time to answer this! I appreciate it 🙂The exam schedule is usually published a year in advance so that you can plan. The 2026-2027 calendar is published already but the exam schedule is not published yet because of our significant curriculum changes. You can kind of guesstimate where the exams will fall as you'll have a midterm halfway through the course and a final at the end, usually on a Thursday or Friday. But you can look at the 2025-2026 calendar for an example of what it would look like. See here: Academic Calendar
I previously worked there and my partner at the time lived in the area. We visited each other about once a month, trading off months. So I was making the drive about once every other month. I honestly hated it. To maximize time I would drive out after classes on Friday (usually hitting a nasty rush hour in one city or the other depending on when I left) and then drive back in the wee hours of Monday morning (like leaving around 4:30-5am so I could make it back for 10am class). So you're getting 2 days and some change in exchange for 10 grueling hours of driving, 15-20 hours of which are spent sleeping anyways lol. And idk about you, but I do not study well when I'm around my non-med school friends and family because I want to maximize time with them.
unmaskedvillian
Full Member
i would like to know this tooAll quiet on the beaches of Galveston. Any word on whether another round of pre-matches is going to come out..
bratzdoll16
Full Member
Just curious, but has anyone that didn't get an interview actually receive the official rejection yet?? I'm so confused about why they're holding onto them 😭😭
I haventJust curious, but has anyone that didn't get an interview actually receive the official rejection yet?? I'm so confused about why they're holding onto them 😭😭
I did!!!Just curious, but has anyone that didn't get an interview actually receive the official rejection yet?? I'm so confused about why they're holding onto them 😭😭
"Unfortunately, I regret to inform you that your application is no longer under consideration for the EY26 with The John Sealy School of Medicine at The University of Texas Medical Branch Galveston."
There is still hope for u
luckylucy132
Full Member
I haven’t heard. Hoping it’s later this afternoon. Last time it was at 2 pm I think??Any prematch news??
randybutternubs
New Member
IS pre-II R
Did they say there would be more prematches today or are we just guessing??Any prematch news??
GuessingDid they say there would be more prematches today or are we just guessing??
It’s all speculationDid they say there would be more prematches today or are we just guessing??

Keep on reading about the schools where you interviewed so you will be ready to rank them for the match, pre-match or not
luckylucy132
Full Member
I’d love to hear about the preview day today too if anybody attended and has any insights
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IS pre-ii R
resignedwhale
Full Member
IS Pre-II R
luckylucy132
Full Member
Any hint about today or when that would be?Just got back from preview day and they said there would be two more rounds of prematches before match day.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K