2025-2026 UTMB (Sealy)

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Yeah. I think it's going to continue to be worse every cycle unless more medical schools start to open.
Idk if that'll solve the problem. I'm sure any new medical schools in Texas will be very mission/region-focused. Thats been the trend recently. Regardless, I think the number of competitive applicants increases every year, who usually apply to all TMDSAS schools.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since UTMB is pre match heavy, if I haven’t gotten a pre match here does that mean my chances are fairly low?
 
I think the residency spots are the bottleneck.
There’s enough residency spots for everyone.

The problem is, most people don’t want just any residency slot. They want specific programs, in specific geographies. Many community health programs go unfilled and have spots both during and after SOAP. But try convincing the derm gunner that they shouldn’t worry because they too can get into a residency and be a doctor because Community Hospital in Cheyenne Wyoming has open spots in FM….

EDIT: if there are any Wyoming fans here, I apologize in advance
 
There’s enough residency spots for everyone.

The problem is, most people don’t want just any residency slot. They want specific programs, in specific geographies. Many community health programs go unfilled and have spots both during and after SOAP. But try convincing the derm gunner that they shouldn’t worry because they too can get into a residency and be a doctor because Community Hospital in Cheyenne Wyoming has open spots in FM….

EDIT: if there are any Wyoming fans here, I apologize in advance
I am more concerned there are derm gunners at UTMB?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an OOS interviewee (interviewed late sept). I'm scheduled for the early jan campus preview. Would anyone have insight if I, as an OOS applicant, would get a status update prior to then because i need to book flight and hotel soon but would prefer to go only if i have an acceptance... I want to ask the admissions team directly but dont want asking to negatively affect my app
 
I'm an OOS interviewee (interviewed late sept). I'm scheduled for the early jan campus preview. Would anyone have insight if I, as an OOS applicant, would get a status update prior to then because i need to book flight and hotel soon but would prefer to go only if i have an acceptance... I want to ask the admissions team directly but dont want asking to negatively affect my app
Visiting the school is mostly for your benefit so you can see the city, will not boost your chance of acceptance. If you want to wait until you find out about an admission you can wait until the last half of February and your bonus prize will be lower air fares by then.
 
Hi all! I had a few questions for anyone currently attending UTMB or familiar with the living situation there.

1. What proportion of UTMB students live on the island versus off the island?

2. Is it generally better to live on the island as a UTMB student?

3. Where exactly do off-island students live? How long is the daily commute?

4. Since Galveston is prone to flooding, which areas of the island do students usually choose to avoid those issues? Any specific apartment complexes?

5. In the event of a mandatory evacuation, where do students who live on the island typically go?

Any insight or information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
 
Ranking your schools in the order you like is the most important thing to do
So if we interview at schools that are out of our MCAT range, wouldnt it be more beneficial to put the other schools that are in your mcat range higher on your rank list cause youre more likely to get in? Bc i feel like the higher ranked med schools are likely to put me on the waitlist because my mcat is 5 points below their median
 
So if we interview at schools that are out of our MCAT range, wouldnt it be more beneficial to put the other schools that are in your mcat range higher on your rank list cause youre more likely to get in? Bc i feel like the higher ranked med schools are likely to put me on the waitlist because my mcat is 5 points below their median
The order you rank the schools only matters for you in regard to your preference. If a school already ranked you high enough for an acceptance, then you’re guaranteed a spot if the others didn’t. So it’s best to rank the schools in the order you’d like to go even if you don’t think your chances are good (this is my understanding from ChatGPT).
 
So if we interview at schools that are out of our MCAT range, wouldnt it be more beneficial to put the other schools that are in your mcat range higher on your rank list cause youre more likely to get in? Bc i feel like the higher ranked med schools are likely to put me on the waitlist because my mcat is 5 points below their median
It doesnt work like that since the schools are working with their own lists. If you rank a school within your match range and they rank you also high you could match there without knowing if you have a shot at a school you like more.

You rank the school list the way you prefer. If the schools at the top get the students they ranked ahead of to fill their class, then you start dropping lower to get into the school that ranked you high enough to match.

You then are on waitlist for any school you ranked higher than where you matched and some are pleasantly surprised when they are given a waitlist A. You lose that chance if you are playing the odds as opposed to ranking in the order of your priority.
 
So if we interview at schools that are out of our MCAT range, wouldnt it be more beneficial to put the other schools that are in your mcat range higher on your rank list cause youre more likely to get in? Bc i feel like the higher ranked med schools are likely to put me on the waitlist because my mcat is 5 points below their median
No, no, and furthermore no.
Rank YOUR favorites in order.
You made it past their MCAT screen to an interview
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How likely are you to match to utmb if you send a letter of intent after preview day? (Interviewed early Sept)
This is not a statistic that anyone here can provide you.

Send the LOI if it makes you feel better that you tried everything possible. Don't count on it to make a measurable difference one way or the other because we have no clean data on its effects.
 
Do they have a camera requirement? I have no time conflict, and I’ll have my camera on, but If I have to take a bathroom break could I turn it off and listen in and turn it back on after?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the campus preview day, is it like interview attire with blazers or more business casual? Is it fine to wear sneakers since I assume we'll be walking a lot lol?
 
For the campus preview day, is it like interview attire with blazers or more business casual? Is it fine to wear sneakers since I assume we'll be walking a lot lol?
It up to you. I’ve seen folks come in full suits. Business casual is fine and sneakers are okay. We also are not judging you and making admissions decisions off how you dress - you’ve already interviewed lol. It’s literally just for you to preview the school and see if we fit what you want.
 
It up to you. I’ve seen folks come in full suits. Business casual is fine and sneakers are okay. We also are not judging you and making admissions decisions off how you dress - you’ve already interviewed lol. It’s literally just for you to preview the school and see if we fit what you want.
Thank you 🙂
 
It up to you. I’ve seen folks come in full suits. Business casual is fine and sneakers are okay. We also are not judging you and making admissions decisions off how you dress - you’ve already interviewed lol. It’s literally just for you to preview the school and see if we fit what you want.
Do you have any insight into whether the next wave of prematches will come after Dec 18 like has been previously speculated?