2025-2026 UTMB (Sealy)

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Do you have any insight into whether the next wave of prematches will come after Dec 18 like has been previously speculated?
It’s likely it might be the day or week after. At that point it will be over a month and a half since the first wave was sent out.
 
Are they taking the Dec 10,11.. 18 dates into account for the next prematch since they have evaluated everyone or no?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Y’all keep asking the same question which requires predicting the future, and those are things we don’t know.
we desperately need this person.

1765242710673.jpeg
 
Y’all keep asking the same question which requires predicting the future, and those are things we don’t know.
Well, I think a lot of us are just anxious as applicants. This forum is one of the few places we can express that and talk to others who are in the same emotional boat. Asking questions is part of that, even if the answer ends up being ‘we don’t know’ or there’s no answer at all.
 
Anyone know if they are done with interviews? I haven’t heard anything since I submitted my application. Sent an update letter last week.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If we did not get a pre-match does that mean they are done either until the match or in January?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just for some encouragement, we have a new Dean of admissions this year, Dr Amy Gonzalez so don’t be panicked if things run a little differently than they have in prior years. I’m a student here and just from word-of-mouth, last week, I have heard there will be several prematch rounds upcoming. Try your best to take a deep breath and hang tight. I know that is easier said than done
 
Hi all! I had a few questions for anyone currently attending UTMB or familiar with the living situation there.

1. What proportion of UTMB students live on the island versus off the island?

2. Is it generally better to live on the island as a UTMB student?

3. Where exactly do off-island students live? How long is the daily commute?

4. Since Galveston is prone to flooding, which areas of the island do students usually choose to avoid those issues? Any specific apartment complexes?

5. In the event of a mandatory evacuation, where do students who live on the island typically go?

Any insight or information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I’m happy to answer these questions. First, I would estimate probably 70 to 80% of my class, MS2s, lives on the island. I have several friends who live off island and they are very happy with their decision to do so. I personally live on island and I enjoy being close to campus and the eclectic nature of Galveston. I don’t love to commute so living on island for me was very important. We are typically on campus 4 to 5 days a week during the pre-clinical phase. So it’s definitely beneficial to live close if you don’t want to drive. Most people live in Texas City, Dickinson, League city area. It ranges from about 25 to 35 minute commute one way. There are several in our class that live in South Houston and commute further. There are several popular apartment complexes within 5 to 7 minutes of Campus, many students live in these. Many students choose to rent one of the houses nearby. I would say the housing options here are pretty diverse. In general, Harborside is a major street that floods when we get heavy rain. For most of the island, It’s not like one particular area that floods, it will be one street that floods and the next street over is fine. Generally, if it rains super hard, just give it an hour or two and the water will go down. I’ve only had one scary moment w flooding after Beryl when the storm drains were clogged. Generally the city keeps them maintained well and the flood water recedes quickly. We have not had a mandatory evacuation during my time here, but we do fill out forms for the school every semester that notate if we need assistance if there were to be a mandatory evacuation. So that leads me to believe that potentially the school would assist if this situation came up.
 
I’m happy to answer these questions. First, I would estimate probably 70 to 80% of my class, MS2s, lives on the island. I have several friends who live off island and they are very happy with their decision to do so. I personally live on island and I enjoy being close to campus and the eclectic nature of Galveston. I don’t love to commute so living on island for me was very important. We are typically on campus 4 to 5 days a week during the pre-clinical phase. So it’s definitely beneficial to live close if you don’t want to drive. Most people live in Texas City, Dickinson, League city area. It ranges from about 25 to 35 minute commute one way. There are several in our class that live in South Houston and commute further. There are several popular apartment complexes within 5 to 7 minutes of Campus, many students live in these. Many students choose to rent one of the houses nearby. I would say the housing options here are pretty diverse. In general, Harborside is a major street that floods when we get heavy rain. For most of the island, It’s not like one particular area that floods, it will be one street that floods and the next street over is fine. Generally, if it rains super hard, just give it an hour or two and the water will go down. I’ve only had one scary moment w flooding after Beryl when the storm drains were clogged. Generally the city keeps them maintained well and the flood water recedes quickly. We have not had a mandatory evacuation during my time here, but we do fill out forms for the school every semester that notate if we need assistance if there were to be a mandatory evacuation. So that leads me to believe that potentially the school would assist if this situation came up.
Thank you so much for such a detailed response! This is really helpful, appreciate it!!
 
So today is the last interview, right? Originally there was speculation that there’d be more prematches today. I wonder if we’ll see any or have to wait until after the holidays.