ATSU/KCOM (Kirksville) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats!!! :) Was it an acceptance pending a seat?

I called and they told me I was accepted pending a seat. I interviewed 1/27.

Members don't see this ad.

I called and they told me I was accepted pending a seat. I interviewed 1/27.

Congrats!! Welcome to the club! Hope to see you in the fall! :)

:thumbup:

Congrats, sounds like things are getting a little full!

The acceptance email that was written to those of us in limbo until Jan 18th, stated that the class of 2016 was full.

Members don't see this ad :)
No it was an acceptance for this years class. They called me to tell me. I thought they were full, but I guess a spot opened up.

No it was an acceptance for this years class. They called me to tell me. I thought they were full, but I guess a spot opened up.

Congrats! Interesting to hear that the limbo people were told the class was full

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

I interviewed on 1/19 and still haven't heard anything back yet either through mail or phone. Is that what KCOM is doing for acceptances now this late, is calling people? And on that note, is the class really full? Thanks

Is that what KCOM is doing for acceptances now this late, is calling people?

I got accepted back in November and got a phone call. It was definitely more personal than a letter :luck:

I got accepted back in November and got a phone call. It was definitely more personal than a letter :luck:

So since I interviewed on 1/19 and haven't got a phone call yet, while others who interviewed on 1/27 have gotten calls, then I'm prolly expecting bad news?

So since I interviewed on 1/19 and haven't got a phone call yet, while others who interviewed on 1/27 have gotten calls, then I'm prolly expecting bad news?

Actually no. From past history on sdn, the spring interviews yield weird timing on status updates. Sometimes people hear back right away and sometimes its 4-5 weeks. From what I gather, you could be in limbo for a couple of weeks longer.
Check the old atsu threads for more trends.

Sent from my PG86100 using SDN Mobile

Hey guys, I interviewed on Dec. 2 and was accepted Dec. 9. I'm extremely excited/nervous to move to Kirksville this summer. Does anyone know if a facebook group was ever created?

Hey guys, I interviewed on Dec. 2 and was accepted Dec. 9. I'm extremely excited/nervous to move to Kirksville this summer. Does anyone know if a facebook group was ever created?

Congrats! And yesh there is a group. There is a link to it in the Osteopathic school thread under medical forums

:welcome: and congrats!

Accepted!! Interviewed 1/23 - got the extremely nice phone call on 2/3! Yay!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!! Interviewed 1/23 - got the extremely nice phone call on 2/3! Yay!

Saweet! And it is a pretty nice thing to get such a pleasant call

You guys crack me up!!! I hope to meet you all!

has anyone who interview on 1/26 (or that week) heard back yet? It's been two weeks and I thought they usually make calls on weds/thurs? i'm hoping to hear something this week!

has anyone who interview on 1/26 (or that week) heard back yet? It's been two weeks and I thought they usually make calls on weds/thurs? i'm hoping to hear something this week!

You were all quiet about your interview :(... Mbeas, karate and I have been beside ourselfs posting gibberish with out new friends to talk with.

In all seriousness I would expect to hear something mid week next week or a week after that, don't quote me on that.

I actually called this afternoon because I was getting nervous and they told me I was accepted pending a seat...so hopefully someone chooses to go somewhere else so I can go here!

I actually called this afternoon because I was getting nervous and they told me I was accepted pending a seat...so hopefully someone chooses to go somewhere else so I can go here!

That's the spirit!

:luck::luck::luck:

Just got accepted pending a seat!! Wasn't expecting it the way it came. Was going to the mailbox a lot and making sure not to miss any phone calls if they tried to call. Then about a minute ago I got an email with the decision. Was unexpected because other posts said they received the same news in a letter in the mail. Email said the class is full, but not all the spots are secured by deposits, so there's hope!!

Just got accepted pending a seat!! Wasn't expecting it the way it came. Was going to the mailbox a lot and making sure not to miss any phone calls if they tried to call. Then about a minute ago I got an email with the decision. Was unexpected because other posts said they received the same news in a letter in the mail. Email said the class is full, but not all the spots are secured by deposits, so there's hope!!

Welcome to the pending a seat club! Congrats!!

The general form seems to be
Immediate acceptance: call
Accepted pending-a-seat: e-mail
Waitlist: letter

Oh, man.. Long time reader, first time poster. Interviewed on January 30th.. Accepted pending a seat this morning.. Congratulations to all who are in. To those who aren't, keep trooping. Stick with it, and you will get what you want.. What a day, eh?!

Oh, man.. Long time reader, first time poster. Interviewed on January 30th.. Accepted pending a seat this morning.. Congratulations to all who are in. To those who aren't, keep trooping. Stick with it, and you will get what you want.. What a day, eh?!

Congrats man and welcome! Wonder how many students are placed in the "accepted with pending seat" category. The email said almost all of them get into this years class, so we will have to see. Now what is waitlist then at this school? This sounds like waitlist, but you do have a for sure acceptance either this year (pending seat) or next year for sure?

Congrats man and welcome! Wonder how many students are placed in the "accepted with pending seat" category. The email said almost all of them get into this years class, so we will have to see. Now what is waitlist then at this school? This sounds like waitlist, but you do have a for sure acceptance either this year (pending seat) or next year for sure?

Yes, sir.. States that if a person on this list does not receive a seat in the year for which they applied, their acceptance is automatically deferred to the following year. No need to reapply or come in for another interview.. I have never heard of any other school offering this option, but am definitely grateful for it. Thank you for the welcome! Can't wait to start..

I had a "short notice interview" here 2/6. Did my undergrad in KVille. Was really impressed with KCOM! Hope they let me in.

Last edited:
Just spent a frigid weekend in Kirksville to scope out some housing and the area

:thumbup: I would also like to know what you found.

3rd'ing this...I'm going to kirksville in March, so if you have any good ideas please let me know

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I went there to look at houses for sale just to see if it would be worth the purchase. I went with a real estate agent to about 12 different houses. A LOT of the houses close to the school are very similar in structure, clustered together, and older (1940s). Some were updated but most needed work and some TLC.

I went there to look at houses for sale just to see if it would be worth the purchase. I went with a real estate agent to about 12 different houses. A LOT of the houses close to the school are very similar in structure, clustered together, and older (1940s). Some were updated but most needed work and some TLC.

Did you look at rentals at all? Are you planning on purchasing?

Did you look at rentals at all? Are you planning on purchasing?
We didn't look at rentals this trip, but there are lots and lots of apartment complexes close to the schools that look to be in good condition from the outside. I'll be back there in a month or so to look some more

3rd'ing this...I'm going to kirksville in March, so if you have any good ideas please let me know

I'll be there next week...let me know if there is something specific you'd like to know and I'll see if I can get info on it while I'm there.

I'll be there next week...let me know if there is something specific you'd like to know and I'll see if I can get info on it while I'm there.

Well, I'm going to be renting an apartment that is close (i.e. walking distance) to the school. If you see any places in good condition and you remember the name of the complex, I'd be very appreciative. I will have an agent with me in March, but I'm obviously open to outside suggestions.

Well, I'm going to be renting an apartment that is close (i.e. walking distance) to the school. If you see any places in good condition and you remember the name of the complex, I'd be very appreciative. I will have an agent with me in March, but I'm obviously open to outside suggestions.

Agent you say?

Here is a spread sheet that compares match lists, GPA/MCAT scores of matriculates, COMLEX scores, and other types of data. It includes:

-2011-2008 Match lists for many osteopathic schools
- comparison of match results between schools
-GPA/MCAT scores, a profiles of average matriculating students compared between all Osteopathic schools,
-COMLEX scores for some schools
- You'll also find comparison of tuition / graduate indebtedness between schools

https://sites.google.com/site/osteopathicreference/home

(I can't host the spread sheet on the forums because of size limits)

I apologize in advance that I will be mass posting this through out the forums this afternoon but many people have been looking for this data and I want the to be able to find it!

I am hoping a current KCOM student can answer my question - what are your professors like (teaching style, how well they get across the informtation) ? I know at the interview everyone said there's basically an open door policy, but do you find that the professors teach the information well or are you doing a lot of outside reading/learning on your own? I had pretty terrible undergrad professors and then fantastic grad school profs so I'd really like any insight you could give. Thanks!

Agent you say?

Yep, I've been in contact with a real estate agent in Kirksville that said she would be happy to show me around. She said their is a lot of affordable housing in very close proximity to KCOM, which is exactly what I am looking for.

Some better than others I suppose you could say. You are given note packets and they are all you need for exams. Some people went to every lecture, some went to none and listened to them later, and then others didn't even bother with lecture and just studied the notes and outside sources. Its your own personal learning style and you will figure out what works for you.

I am hoping a current KCOM student can answer my question - what are your professors like (teaching style, how well they get across the informtation) ? I know at the interview everyone said there's basically an open door policy, but do you find that the professors teach the information well or are you doing a lot of outside reading/learning on your own? I had pretty terrible undergrad professors and then fantastic grad school profs so I'd really like any insight you could give. Thanks!