ATSU/KCOM (Kirksville) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
....during our school years even though KCOM mentions that there are specs that they're looking for.

Most schools (undergrad/grad) have certain specifications that they are looking for but they are usually pretty general. I wouldn't be too worried about it unless you get some off the wall computer.

BTW, Happy New Year everyone! This is the year we begin our med school journey...

Members don't see this ad.

will be withdrawing my acceptance... good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Its been quiet around here for awhile... any interviews/acceptances?!

Also, join the facebook group if you have been accepted and have not done so yet.

Its been quiet around here for awhile..

Sure has...I was gonna bump this thread last night because it was sinking to the bottom

Oh, btw, has anyone done the background check yet? I need to get on that

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Sure has...I was gonna bump this thread last night because it was sinking to the bottom

It has been quiet around here. I wish more people were hyped about kcom. I can definitely see how being in a small town affects how people feel about it. For schools in bigger cities, I see a lot of comments like "love the facilities and cities".
But I do love the fact that for kcom, many comments say "love the faculty and students". etc

I need to do the background check too. After turning in my deposit, I haven't looked at the check list again :rolleyes:

Yes, I am pretty sure they have a spot for luggage. If you are worried about it call and ask they are very nice.

It has been quiet around here. I wish more people were hyped about kcom. I can definitely see how being in a small town affects how people feel about it. For schools in bigger cities, I see a lot of comments like "love the facilities and cities".
But I do love the fact that for kcom, many comments say "love the faculty and students". etc

Ok I will try and make my excitement more known. :banana::banana: :highfive: I
I AM SO FREAKING EXCITED TO BE GOING TO THIS SCHOOL!!!!:wow::claps::nod::banana::beat: I would also like to :welcome: everyone who has chosen ATSU/KCOM may we the class of 2016 be the best class KCOM has ever had!!!

Oh, and the reputation, faculty, facilities, students and city really are hard to beat especially if you have a family.. Just secured a condo for next year!! Kirksville HERE I COME!!! (Well in July anyway:)) Good luck to those still applying!!

Yeah, I did the background check last week. It really doesn't take that long and is pretty simple

I AM SO FREAKING EXCITED TO BE GOING TO THIS SCHOOL!!!!:wow::claps::nod::banana::beat: I would also like to :welcome: everyone who has chosen ATSU/KCOM may we the class of 2016 be the best class KCOM has ever had!!!

Oh, and the reputation, faculty, facilities, students and city really are hard to beat especially if you have a family.. Just secured a condo for next year!! Kirksville HERE I COME!!! (Well in July anyway:)) Good luck to those still applying!!

Was the condo close to school, and for how much a month? I was thinking about student living since I'm single.

Here is the web site for the condos www.hanleycondos.com they are a five min walk/1min drive from ATSU, and look to be in excellent condition. The land lord is very nice and worth talking to even if you don't rent from him. The cost might be an issue though at 825 a month I have a family so the space (3 bed rooms 1500 square ft) is nice and proximity to campus coupled with happiness of my wife made it an easy decision. He does allow for up to three roommates though. As of Tuesday he had only one lease left so call him now if you're interested.

EDIT: I wanted to add that he said now is the time to be finding a place to live renting from him or not because by spring the really good locations and quality will have been taken. I have a decent BS meter and he seemed pretty honest, is a professor at Truman State, and even offered to put me into contact with a current 2nd year med student who is renting from him. so I dont think he was just "selling me" but then again maybe im a sucker...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm psyched to be attending kcom class of 2016! I'm also a single student and looking into housing options...i have no idea where i'm going to live..

I AM SO FREAKING EXCITED TO BE GOING TO THIS SCHOOL!!!!:wow::beat: I would also like to :welcome: everyone who has chosen ATSU/KCOM may we the class of 2016 be the best class KCOM has ever had!!!

I'm psyched to be attending kcom class of 2016! I'm also a single student and looking into housing options...i have no idea where i'm going to live..

:thumbup::highfive::clap:

:highfive: I
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: My thoughts exactly

Yeah, I did the background check last week. It really doesn't take that long and is pretty simple

Excellent, thanks for the info...I need to get on that ASAP

I hope we start hearing something from the school telling us to do something... this waiting makes me antsy.

The school definitely needs to revamp their website. Honestly, that's what made DMU so appealing to me before going there.
That initial advertisement is so important, especially in a society saturated with media.

Definitely going to be something I talk to them about when I get the chance.
I bet that would increase applicants by 1.2x and pre-interview interest by 1.5x

Now that I think about it, I never got any kind of confirmation of my seat deposit... Did anyone else?

Last edited:
I didn't get any deposit confirmation either, which kind of worries me. I was thinking about calling to make sure?

Anyone who has had their decision deferred to January 18th? Are there still spots in the Class of 2016 available?

I didn't get any deposit confirmation either, which kind of worries me. I was thinking about calling to make sure?

If you contact them, let them know a few others were wondering too haha :D

I e-mailed them a couple days after I sent in my deposit and they replied and confirmed that they had recieved it.

Here is the web site for the condos www.hanleycondos.com they are a five min walk/1min drive from ATSU, and look to be in excellent condition. The land lord is very nice and worth talking to even if you don’t rent from him. The cost might be an issue though at 825 a month I have a family so the space (3 bed rooms 1500 square ft) is nice and proximity to campus coupled with happiness of my wife made it an easy decision. He does allow for up to three roommates though. As of Tuesday he had only one lease left so call him now if you’re interested.

This seems like a really nice condo...does anyone else have any housing ideas? I'm gonna be traveling to Kirksville soon to look for a place, but I wanted to have a few ideas in mind before I go.

Anyone who has had their decision deferred to January 18th? Are there still spots in the Class of 2016 available?

I'm certain there are still spots available; it's only mid-January. Things will be much different towards the end of Feb/March, though.

I also just got my portal login information via email.

Think it's safe to assume we all just got portal access :)

Same here. Got an email about the portal access info. I am sure they will start to sending us more information in a month.

Definitely still spots available. Received an II yesterday and will be interviewing Feb 3. Anyone else visiting Kirksville that day?

What is the most commonly used loan for med students?

I'm guessing its now the unsubsidized stafford loan.
I'm definitely going to look around and even ask for scholarships at local hospitals and such. Never hurts to try :) even if it only yields a few hundred bucks.

I'm guessing its now the unsubsidized stafford loan.
I'm definitely going to look around and even ask for scholarships at local hospitals and such. Never hurts to try :) even if it only yields a few hundred bucks.
Agreed. Unsubsidized stafford.

Agreed. Unsubsidized stafford.

About 2/3 of my loans this year was stafford (20% of which was subsidized, but will turn into unsub next year :thumbdown:), and the rest was made up of Grad PLUS Loan and Federal Perkins Loan. Once your fafsa gets sent to the school, the financial aid office will send you an online award letter eventually that breaks down exactly what you qualify for, and then you just check off which ones you choose to accept out of them (along with some paperwork).

Do most students pay off the debts while they are in the residency? It seems scary that the avg. KCOM students owe is $300,000...

I have a random question for anyone who purchased the used car from the state of MO. I am from AZ and I am sure I need to buy an used car for school here at Kirksville. If anyone bought one in MO like from big cities, St. Louis, Kansas City, or Columbia, can you recommend which dealership has a good deal for students who try to buy an used car? If I buy a car here in AZ, I must drive from here to Kirksville which seems crazy.

Do most students pay off the debts while they are in the residency? It seems scary that the avg. KCOM students owe is $300,000...

Lol I wish. According to my (limited) knowledge, I will be lucky if I can pay off just the interest on my loans while in residency (MAYBE bring the balance down slightly and slowly). A good option is some program the government has in which, if you work in a public hospital (or something on their approved list) for 10 years, you only need to pay off your loans for those 10 years, and then the rest gets wiped clean. Not sure of the specifics on it, but I know these loan forgiveness plans are out there.

I have a random question for anyone who purchased the used car from the state of MO. I am from AZ and I am sure I need to buy an used car for school here at Kirksville. If anyone bought one in MO like from big cities, St. Louis, Kansas City, or Columbia, can you recommend which dealership has a good deal for students who try to buy an used car? If I buy a car here in AZ, I must drive from here to Kirksville which seems crazy.

The DO book says the average indebtedness is ~180k I think. But they average it all, even with the students on the HSPS.

Does anyone know how HSPS works? If you want them to pay off your first year of schooling, you have to serve 1 year at the army after graduation?

Does anyone know how HSPS works? If you want them to pay off your first year of schooling, you have to serve 1 year at the army after graduation?
I believe there is a minimum of two years on HSPS

I believe there is a minimum of two years on HSPS

Was gonna say something similar..

I don't think you can pick the number of years that you want them to pay for your schooling. I thought it was a four year deal. And most people I have talked to about it say that if you are just doing it for the money, then don't do it. You have to have a passion for military medicine.

Yes, also you will match to military residency programs, so only doing a year won't work...

I've been avoiding this thread on purpose recently trying to keep my mind off of things. However, I wanted to stop by and wish everyone else who is sweating bullets good luck in 3 days! :)

I see. Thanks for the tip!

The bad news that I was told was that the Federal won't give us a subsidized loan anymore starting July this year...so, the likely options that are left for most of students are unsubsidized and grad plus loans.

Does anyone know whether the federal gov decides not to offer the federal subsidized loan just for ATSU-KCOM or for all types of graduate/professional schools starting July 2012?

Does anyone know whether the federal gov decides not to offer the federal subsidized loan just for ATSU-KCOM or for all types of graduate/professional schools starting July 2012?

Government hates ATSU, so just them.

Ok, just kidding. The government hates us all. So as far as I know it's all of grad/professional schools. However, I believe the subsidized is still in play for undergrad (but I'm not sure).

Government hates ATSU, so just them.

wanted to post the same thing...:thumbup:

Why would it be just us (out of all professional/graduate programs)? Is there some conspiracy I don't know about (please fill me in)? :laugh:

Last edited:
You guys were right. I found out it is true that the fed is doing away with the subsidized loan for all types of graduate schools for at least 2012-13 academic year...which means we will have more interests to pay, ouch.

Last edited: