ATSU/SOMA (Arizona) Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all,

I'm new to the thread and decided to join in because I just got recently accepted to SOMA last week! :D I'm so excited to attend. Going to my interview was the first time I actually stayed in Arizona and appreciate the area and people. If you don't mind if I change the tonality of the thread, it seemed pretty dense/informative, but I'd like to inquire if I can ask anyone here for housing options. I apologize if this is appropriate for this thread; I want my first year at SOMA to be awesome, so if you'd want to split an apartment, I'd be down for that. PM me or email me!

hi there, i recommend colonia grand. it's close by, cheap and nice, and you can bike easily to it and back from school. its only a 5 minute drive to safeway and i enjoy the area there very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm new to the thread and decided to join in because I just got recently accepted to SOMA last week! :D I'm so excited to attend. Going to my interview was the first time I actually stayed in Arizona and appreciate the area and people. If you don't mind if I change the tonality of the thread, it seemed pretty dense/informative, but I'd like to inquire if I can ask anyone here for housing options. I apologize if this is appropriate for this thread; I want my first year at SOMA to be awesome, so if you'd want to split an apartment, I'd be down for that. PM me or email me!

I live at San Montego apts and have liked it. It is a nice gated community, across the street from PF Changs, Chipotle, Buffalo Wild Wings and several other places. The staff here is great. I've heard good things about Colonial Grand, Lakeview (across from San Montego), and Solana as well. All of these places are very close to campus. Other students have rented houses or townhomes together.

San Angelin is the closest to the school. But it's rent controlled, so you have to apply/qualify for that. You can qualify pretty easily if you have a family, and don't make very much, haha. We pay 650 for a two bedroom place.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there has been any movement from the wait-list? Last time I spoke to Joyce, she indicated there should be movement after May 15th. I assume there was a deposit deadline that day?

Does anyone know if there has been any movement from the wait-list? Last time I spoke to Joyce, she indicated there should be movement after May 15th. I assume there was a deposit deadline that day?

I got into my top choice school so I withdrew today. Good luck to everyone!

Here are the facts about SOMA that I am certain of:

There is no dissection. The cadavers utilized are identical to those for the other health science schools. I don't know of any other medical schools that do this.

There is no microscope work or histology course.

In year 2, students are sent to their respective community campuses and all information is presented to them through online lecture videos, which are often reused from previous years. Also, most physicians that they work with get no financial compensation.

This begs the question: is SOMA a for-profit school? From what I have heard/seen, they have far fewer expenses than other medical schools.

Here are the facts about SOMA that I am certain of:

There is no dissection. The cadavers utilized are identical to those for the other health science schools. I don't know of any other medical schools that do this.

There is no microscope work or histology course.

In year 2, students are sent to their respective community campuses and all information is presented to them through online lecture videos, which are often reused from previous years. Also, most physicians that they work with get no financial compensation.

This begs the question: is SOMA a for-profit school? From what I have heard/seen, thay have far fewer expenses than other medical schools.

1) a number of medical schools uses prosection.
1a) you should be glad that prosection is used and you are not spending 8 hrs a week trying to find a nerve, artery or vein, that may or may not be where it should be.
2) histology and microscope work is not a focus of the step and is slowly fading out of the medical circulum.
3) the money isnt a real concern; it's the education that matters.
4) are you trying to troll or just be obnoxious.

I'm not trying to be obnoxious. These are some of the concerns that I have that I think others should be aware of. Of all the schools that I've visited, SOMA's facilities are by far the least impressive. The "school" is essentially 2 rooms. And year 2 isn't even that - it's a computer. These kinds of things are huge red flags in my opinion.

1) a number of medical schools uses prosection.
1a) you should be glad that prosection is used and you are not spending 8 hrs a week trying to find a nerve, artery or vein, that may or may not be where it should be.
2) histology and microscope work is not a focus of the step and is slowly fading out of the medical circulum.
3) the money isnt a real concern; it's the education that matters.
4) are you trying to troll or just be obnoxious.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be obnoxious. These are some of the concerns that I have that I think others should be aware of. Of all the schools that I've visited, SOMA's facilities are by far the least impressive. The "school" is essentially 2 rooms. And year 2 isn't even that - it's a computer. These kinds of things are huge red flags in my opinion.

First of all, the school (which it is a school and should not be quoted), consists of a lot more than just two rooms. The campus is not huge, but it shouldn't be. Each class is only 107 people and the students are only on campus for one year so having 20 buildings would be a waste of resources. As for year 2+ your classroom is your clinic..which AS A DOCTOR..is your most important resource. I don't see what is wrong with that. It just goes along with the nature of the program. If you don't like that I'd recommend you look for more traditional schools with lots of buildings and stuff to clutter campus. From the schools I looked at, ATSU had the most impressive campus in terms of technology (11 sim people--no other school had that) as well as nice clean and modern facilities.

As for prosection, I see this as a huge advantage for me since I took cadaver in undergrad and spent hours peeling skin and looking for minute muscles. I'd rather just learn everything rather than spending hours cutting open cadavers.

As I have mentioned before on here..SOMA is a unique program..if you don't feel like it would work for you then don't worry about it and find a school that fits you and your learning style better.

I am a SOMA student. I wanted to express some of my concerns about the school so that other people can make more educated decisions when applying to this school. Whether or not you acknowledge it is your decision, but I would have liked more truthful responses from current students when I applied and decided to attend this school.

I am a SOMA student. I wanted to express some of my concerns about the school so that other people can make more educated decisions when applying to this school. Whether or not you acknowledge it is your decision, but I would have liked more truthful responses from current students when I applied and decided to attend this school.

These are old points already brought up. If people want to read the myriad of responses to them, they can go look in the earlier posts. Otherwise, it's just clutter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

When I was in Arizona I lived at San Montego. I enjoyed that it was close to everything and you could get on the highway both directions. My roommate and I biked to school and a few other places close by such as the store is right across the street. I was always going for walks around the small lakes. It also has a more unique layout and the laundry room is not in the kitchen. Colonial Grand is more college dorm atmosphere (it also has a store close by but the intersection is worse). The other places are more expensive although each has its own pros and cons. Anywhere you decide to live though, ask to see if there is a current student already living there or going to live there and put them down as a recommendation. This way that student usually will get money off of their rent for the referral should you sign a contract. If you look at the 2012 forum on facebook, one of the students put a video up of the top 3 locations.
Congratulations on your acceptance!

First of all, the school (which it is a school and should not be quoted), consists of a lot more than just two rooms. The campus is not huge, but it shouldn't be. Each class is only 107 people and the students are only on campus for one year so having 20 buildings would be a waste of resources. As for year 2+ your classroom is your clinic..which AS A DOCTOR..is your most important resource. I don't see what is wrong with that. It just goes along with the nature of the program. If you don't like that I'd recommend you look for more traditional schools with lots of buildings and stuff to clutter campus. From the schools I looked at, ATSU had the most impressive campus in terms of technology (11 sim people--no other school had that) as well as nice clean and modern facilities.

As for prosection, I see this as a huge advantage for me since I took cadaver in undergrad and spent hours peeling skin and looking for minute muscles. I'd rather just learn everything rather than spending hours cutting open cadavers.

As I have mentioned before on here..SOMA is a unique program..if you don't feel like it would work for you then don't worry about it and find a school that fits you and your learning style better.

Yes, there are downsides to the small space but overall it works. I personally was very glad not to spend anymore time in anatomy than necessary given our course load. The lectures for the incoming second years students will be revamped due to the large change in curriculum for their class so some will be recycled but many of them new. Many of the professors are very responsive to email and some even skype.

I have enjoyed the advantage of working in the offices and seeing what I was learning to reinforce my knowledge and I believe also contributed to a rise in my grades. I also have great preceptors that are very involved in our learning process to make sure we understand and are proactive in getting answers. Students have worked together from many CHCs to supply information such as handouts on objectives.

Is everything perfect, of course not, nothing created by people will ever be without flaws. I have my frustrations but I wouldn't go back and switch schools.

When I was in Arizona I lived at San Montego. I enjoyed that it was close to everything and you could get on the highway both directions. My roommate and I biked to school and a few other places close by such as the store is right across the street. I was always going for walks around the small lakes. It also has a more unique layout and the laundry room is not in the kitchen. Colonial Grand is more college dorm atmosphere (it also has a store close by but the intersection is worse). The other places are more expensive although each has its own pros and cons. Anywhere you decide to live though, ask to see if there is a current student already living there or going to live there and put them down as a recommendation. This way that student usually will get money off of their rent for the referral should you sign a contract. If you look at the 2012 forum on facebook, one of the students put a video up of the top 3 locations.
Congratulations on your acceptance!

Ditto, I'm a 1st year and have liked San Montego thus far. As Johnson48 said, there are quite a bit of restaurants across the street (PF Changs, Krispy Kreme, Buffalo Wild Wings, On the Border, Chipotle, Harkins 24 Theater, Fry's Grocery and quite a few more stores/restaurants.

I had a couple things to say. 1st off, congrats to everyone who will be attending SOMA in like 6 weeks!

It was also pointed out to me that Joes/Veritas (yes, I know who you really are, we all do) has been posting some dirt here about SOMA. I was shocked to say the least. I totally thought he was legit until I heard about all of this, so I had to read it for myself. Dude, what happened to you that made you so bitter? PM me, please.

I for one want to say that it's not an easy road. Is medical school really supposed to be? I admit I struggled with grades and balancing my personal life at the beginning, but now I am doing great - gradewise, and feeling prepared for boards and second year. Anyone who struggles during that first month, get some study tips, fast. Low grades in the beginning aren't worth it - especially if avoidable.

Looking back on 1st year, I have to say I'm extremely satisfied. My knowledge of medicine and science is over 100x what it was before I began. I can do full history's and physical exams on any body part on just about any patient, comfortably. I also know a ton of OMT techniques (like cracking backs) that I regularly get to show off to family members and friends in the area.

In spite of griefs about class and anatomy, I know my anatomy really well. How? I took learning it into my own hands. I got a Netter's atlas and went to town studying anatomy both in the lab and in books. I am also one of the students who "quit" going to regular class about half way through the year. I found it was more advantageous for me, personally & my grades are consistent with that statement. In fact some of the professors give me grief about it, but I just tell them to look at my scores and see the proof. (*Note* this doesn't work for everyone.)

Medical school is amazing. It's what I always wanted and in the end, I love everything I've been able to learn and accomplish as a 1st year. I'm excited for 2nd year. Of course not every teacher is amazing, but my friends in other medical schools tell me also that it happens everywhere. Our problems are not unique, just the same as at any other medical school.

Good luck to all of you!! :thumbup:

PM me or reply to this thread if you have any questions for me.

P.S. I live at Lakeview Apartments, and I've had a really good experience there. It's really pretty, lots of palm trees, and is a short 1.5 mile to school. Close to all kinds of shopping and food galore. PM me for pictures of our apt or more info about Lakeview.

one of our classmates just deferred for next year's class, so maybe that will open up a spot for someone :) good luck!

Hello everyone! my name is Mo and i just received the golden phone call today, and i am IN !!!!!! wooohooo very excited except that i need to cancel my entire new life and book a plane ticket to Phoenix!
Therefore i need HOUSING!!!!
anyone needing a last minute roomy? or any tips? im coming from oregon, im considering driving since i just bought a car but im not sure.... i will also be low budget since i can't qualify for scholarships this late... hence the roomate request.
I am a 24 years old female, lived in community for the past 10 years, french/american, i can cook, I am fun and respect others' space, so let me know if anyone is interested!?!
also any advice on the insurance?
i look forward to meeting all of you! :)

Hello everyone! my name is Mo and i just received the golden phone call today, and i am IN !!!!!! wooohooo very excited except that i need to cancel my entire new life and book a plane ticket to Phoenix!
Therefore i need HOUSING!!!!
anyone needing a last minute roomy? or any tips? im coming from oregon, im considering driving since i just bought a car but im not sure.... i will also be low budget since i can't qualify for scholarships this late... hence the roomate request.
I am a 24 years old female, lived in community for the past 10 years, french/american, i can cook, I am fun and respect others' space, so let me know if anyone is interested!?!
also any advice on the insurance?
i look forward to meeting all of you! :)

This may be a dumb question, but you are all saying that you are being accepted for this fall (2010?)
I only ask because I am applying right now for fall 2011 and didnt think/know that acceptances went into june...

This may be a dumb question, but you are all saying that you are being accepted for this fall (2010?)
I only ask because I am applying right now for fall 2011 and didnt think/know that acceptances went into june...

Yes, these are acceptances for Fall 2010, for students who were on the wait list. There is a separate thread for students who are interested in applying for the 2011 class.