ATSU/SOMA (Arizona) Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
still nobody has spoke of why Dr. Ratto gave praise for the class for completing a 4th year simulation so well. There is no such thing as a 4th year simulation! I will only mention points which have been announced to the class as a whole, because then it wont be a he said she said.

There should be no reason why a dean in a school with the label "mind,body,spirit", should be so put downish as to tell the class as a whole that they take students who wouldn't have otherwise gotten into medical school and that may be an indicator for the average student failing the first final in medical school. This does nothing but rid students of confidence and makes them feel like they don't deserve to be there.

Members don't see this ad.

FYI I dont have any aversion towards nurses. My mom is a nurse.

I have volunteered extensively in the ER and worked under nurses as well.

My problem is that I want to be a doctor and want to learn how DOCTOR's interact with patients and therefore want to report under a doctor. I do not mind working WITH nurses here and there, but I want to learn what doctors do and who they interact with patients etc...

It seems like ATSU does indeed fact make you report to nurse managers during clinical rotations since you guys are defending this so much.

Hmm ... I can see where you're coming from Utahgirl, but my opinion is that nurses are an invaluable asset for medical students. My mother is also a nurse and I have also reported to nurses as a volunteer and I have found them to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I know this is anecdotal, but I've heard my mom talk about medical students a lot and it seems that nurses are vital to a medical student's education. (I can't help but think of "Scrubs," even if it isn't the most realistic show. :)) I personally don't think I would have an issue with having a nurse manager. If the CHCs use nurses as managers, I would imagine that you could find plenty of other opportunities to interact with doctors and see their interactions with patients. I don't imagine this issue being problematic whatsoever. If it is important to you to have a doctor as your manager during clinicals, then this question would be something to ask the school and perhaps you would feel more comfortable at a school that does not use nurses as managers for medical students.

Has anyone received an acceptance call or rejection letter that interviewed on Feb. 26th?

Thanks!

Hi klr34, I also interviewed on the 26th. Did you interview in the morning or afternoon? I was in the morning group. I received a letter 2 weeks ago informing me that I'm on the wait list. If I were you, I'd go ahead and give the admissions office a call and see what's up. I know Joyce said that if 3 or 4 weeks went by, we should call. They want you to know your status. Everyone in the admissions office has been really nice and helpful. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm ... I can see where you're coming from Utahgirl, but my opinion is that nurses are an invaluable asset for medical students. My mother is also a nurse and I have also reported to nurses as a volunteer and I have found them to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I know this is anecdotal, but I've heard my mom talk about medical students a lot and it seems that nurses are vital to a medical student's education. (I can't help but think of "Scrubs," even if it isn't the most realistic show. :)) I personally don't think I would have an issue with having a nurse manager. If the CHCs use nurses as managers, I would imagine that you could find plenty of other opportunities to interact with doctors and see their interactions with patients. I don't imagine this issue being problematic whatsoever. If it is important to you to have a doctor as your manager during clinicals, then this question would be something to ask the school and perhaps you would feel more comfortable at a school that does not use nurses as managers for medical students.

melissa, thank you for replying with respect and not assuming that I hate nurse managers.

I feel that 3rd and 4th year rotations are a very critical and important if not the most important part of a med students education. This is where you gain hands on experience on how to treat patients as a DOCTOR, NOT as a NURSE. this is where you learn how to become a doctor and figure out what speciality you want to go in.

If you are going to shadow nurses all day then how will you learn to be a doctor? how will you learn how doctors diagnose and treat diseases? when a doctor sees a patients (ER for ex.) i dont remember nurses being in the room with them. Its a very intimiate conversation with the doctor and patient and i know because i've shadowed many doctors. you can only gain this experience by working with a doctor NOT a nurse.

i'm sorry but to me it is unacceptable for a school to charge $40K and have you work under a nurse.

FYI I dont have any aversion towards nurses. My mom is a nurse.

I have volunteered extensively in the ER and worked under nurses as well.

My problem is that I want to be a doctor and want to learn how DOCTOR's interact with patients and therefore want to report under a doctor. I do not mind working WITH nurses here and there, but I want to learn what doctors do and who they interact with patients etc...

It seems like ATSU does indeed fact make you report to nurse managers during clinical rotations since you guys are defending this so much.

I can understand where you're coming from on this, utahgirl. I've heard that at the Hawaii CHC, you work with a nurse practitioner for one of the 2nd year rotations. From my understanding, this is a pretty isolated case, and it's important to remember that this is a 2nd year rotation, which doesn't exist at other schools. Even if you did understand more about the basic sciences than the DNP during your second year, the clinical knowledge that they would be able to give you during that second year, when you're handling simpler cases anyway, would be equal to what a physician would teach.

I also definitely agree with EastWest - no matter where you go to school, you'll be working with, and learning from nurses. I would be surprised if you went to any school and didn't end up working under a DNP or a PA for some of the rotations.

melissa, thank you for replying with respect and not assuming that I hate nurse managers.

I feel that 3rd and 4th year rotations are a very critical and important if not the most important part of a med students education. This is where you gain hands on experience on how to treat patients as a DOCTOR, NOT as a NURSE. this is where you learn how to become a doctor and figure out what speciality you want to go in.

If you are going to shadow nurses all day then how will you learn to be a doctor? how will you learn how doctors diagnose and treat diseases? when a doctor sees a patients (ER for ex.) i dont remember nurses being in the room with them. Its a very intimiate conversation with the doctor and patient and i know because i've shadowed many doctors. you can only gain this experience by working with a doctor NOT a nurse.

i'm sorry but to me it is unacceptable for a school to charge $40K and have you work under a nurse.

still nobody has spoke of why Dr. Ratto gave praise for the class for completing a 4th year simulation so well. There is no such thing as a 4th year simulation! I will only mention points which have been announced to the class as a whole, because then it wont be a he said she said.

There should be no reason why a dean in a school with the label "mind,body,spirit", should be so put downish as to tell the class as a whole that they take students who wouldn't have otherwise gotten into medical school and that may be an indicator for the average student failing the first final in medical school. This does nothing but rid students of confidence and makes them feel like they don't deserve to be there.

Wow joe, despite all of your complaints against the school, you still are going to SOMA huh. That's interesting that you feel so badly about this institution and yet you still continue to pay for it. I don't think anyone held a gun to your head and told you to come to or stay at SOMA right? Shouldn't you be studying for boards or something since you are the one that insists SOMA so ill-prepares you for them that you need to study more than 50% of the material on your own? You sure are spending a lot of time on here when you are so obviously concerned about how prepared you feel you will be for the exams.

Also if you're feeling so upset at how this school teaches and how it's being managed, why haven't you made your concerns known sooner? This school is extremely open to input from it's students. All your wailing under an anonymous sn on SDN and unofficial school e-mail is not at all constructive. Wouldn't you want to somehow be involved with the betterment of something you're paying close to 40k a year towards?

Who cares if she said that, you keep harping on it like she may have wronged your education for doing so. You act like the school has a vendetta out to make your life miserable. I told you I found 4th year simulations by a simple use of Google..here is the first one on the list >>>> http://www.temple.edu/ics/programs/medicine/fy4.html

I've enjoyed reading all the back-and-forth posts between joes5230 and current 1st year students. I just couldn't resist the urge to register today and share my two cents on the topic.

First, I really liked year one of my SOMA experience. Despite all the unavoidable bumps and frustrations of a new program, my time in Mesa was positive and rewarding. I did well academically and enjoyed learning the clinical procedures in preparation for year two. So when I now read positive and optimistic comments from 1st year students, I'm not surprised at all. That's exactly how I felt throughout year one.

Year two, for me, has been a serious disappointment. Instead of sharpening my clinical skills in preparation for 3rd and 4th year rotations, I'm spending hours each week simply shadowing physicians - sometimes silently shadowing. Keep in mind these physicians are not being paid or incentivized in any way to make my education a priority (at least not at my CHC; not sure if preceptors at any of the CHCs are paid). Many of these physicians consistently fail to do a meaningful history and physical exam. I spent 4 months with a physician (regarded as one of the better preceptors at my CHC) who - regardless of the patient's chief complaint - would quickly put his stethoscope on their back for one second and over their heart for another second, above their clothes. That's what I watched him do for months on every single patient! I can't help but compare myself to 2nd year medical students in traditional programs who right now are learning correct clinical skills while I am struggling to remember all I learned last year and trying to avoid picking up bad habits that will haunt me during COMLEX PE. This is just my personal experience with the specific preceptors I've worked with. I obviously don't have a complete picture of what's happening at all the other CHCs, or even mine to be honest.

I think an important point to make is that some of the best and brightest students from my class are not happy at all with how their experience is going currently. Many of the posts I read make it seem like the students who complain the loudest and most frequently (like joes5230) are probably the ones not studying enough or putting enough effort into medical school. This might have some truth to it, but I do not believe it paints the complete picture. Try asking the deans how many current 2nd and 3rd year students have attempted to transfer to a different medical school (they should have some idea because each student attempting to transfer must request a letter of good standing from the dean). I have no idea if they will give you this information, but it seems like a reasonable question to ask if you're trying to gauge how students are really feeling. I bring this up because more than one of the top students in my class (in terms of class rank, exam scores, time spent preparing for boards, etc.) have attempted to transfer already. As far as I know, no one has been successful in doing this yet. But the fact that a transfer attempt has been made by even one hard-working, exceptional SOMA student should say something.

The mission of this school and its unique curriculum have always appealed to me. This was the only medical school I interviewed at. Once I was accepted early in the cycle, I canceled my remaining interviews and withdrew all my other applications because this had always been my top choice. I came here knowing there would be risks and that things would not always turn out as expected. That doesn't change the reality that some aspects of the program, for me, have turned out to be just too disappointing and significant to overlook. If I could go back, I would pick the less-exciting and personally less-appealing traditional curriculum. Based on my limited experience, I would gladly trade the CHC environment for a more traditional teaching hospital system with paid faculty as well as residents, attendings, and program directors nearby. From what I've heard, this is essentially how the NY CHC is set up so the students there are probably pretty happy. I think brucecanbeatyou gives the best advice when he encourages people to personally check out the CHCs. Had I done this, I might have chosen differently from the start. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
I couldn't find any threads in the medical student section for the classes of 2011, 2012, and 2013. Does anyone know if these exist? Admins ...? I'd like to read more opinions from current students in each of the years.

Current2ndyear, would you mind sharing which CHC you are at?

I've enjoyed reading all the back-and-forth posts between joes5230 and current 1st year students. I just couldn't resist the urge to register today and share my two cents on the topic.

First, I really liked year one of my SOMA experience. Despite all the unavoidable bumps and frustrations of a new program, my time in Mesa was positive and rewarding. I did well academically and enjoyed learning the clinical procedures in preparation for year two. So when I now read positive and optimistic comments from 1st year students, I'm not surprised at all. That's exactly how I felt throughout year one.

Year two, for me, has been a serious disappointment. Instead of sharpening my clinical skills in preparation for 3rd and 4th year rotations, I'm spending hours each week simply shadowing physicians - sometimes silently shadowing. Keep in mind these physicians are not being paid or incentivized in any way to make my education a priority (at least not at my CHC; not sure if preceptors at any of the CHCs are paid). Many of these physicians consistently fail to do a meaningful history and physical exam. I spent 4 months with a physician (regarded as one of the better preceptors at my CHC) who - regardless of the patient's chief complaint - would quickly put his stethoscope on their back for one second and over their heart for another second, above their clothes. That's what I watched him do for months on every single patient! I can't help but compare myself to 2nd year medical students in traditional programs who right now are learning correct clinical skills while I am struggling to remember all I learned last year and trying to avoid picking up bad habits that will haunt me during COMLEX PE. This is just my personal experience with the specific preceptors I've worked with. I obviously don't have a complete picture of what's happening at all the other CHCs, or even mine to be honest.

I think an important point to make is that some of the best and brightest students from my class are not happy at all with how their experience is going currently. Many of the posts I read make it seem like the students who complain the loudest and most frequently (like joes5230) are probably the ones not studying enough or putting enough effort into medical school. This might have some truth to it, but I do not believe it paints the complete picture. Try asking the deans how many current 2nd and 3rd year students have attempted to transfer to a different medical school (they should have some idea because each student attempting to transfer must request a letter of good standing from the dean). I have no idea if they will give you this information, but it seems like a reasonable question to ask if you're trying to gauge how students are really feeling. I bring this up because more than one of the top students in my class (in terms of class rank, exam scores, time spent preparing for boards, etc.) have attempted to transfer already. As far as I know, no one has been successful in doing this yet. But the fact that a transfer attempt has been made by even one hard-working, exceptional SOMA student should say something.

The mission of this school and its unique curriculum have always appealed to me. This was the only medical school I interviewed at. Once I was accepted early in the cycle, I canceled my remaining interviews and withdrew all my other applications because this had always been my top choice. I came here knowing there would be risks and that things would not always turn out as expected. That doesn't change the reality that some aspects of the program, for me, have turned out to be just too disappointing and significant to overlook. If I could go back, I would pick the less-exciting and personally less-appealing traditional curriculum. Based on my limited experience, I would gladly trade the CHC environment for a more traditional teaching hospital system with paid faculty as well as residents, attendings, and program directors nearby. From what I've heard, this is essentially how the NY CHC is set up so the students there are probably pretty happy. I think brucecanbeatyou gives the best advice when he encourages people to personally check out the CHCs. Had I done this, I might have chosen differently from the start. Just my two cents.

Thank you for providing your opinion in a non-hostile way. I think your opinion is very valuable to keep in mind. As for me I am already set on going to ATSU and I did cancel other interviews because I was accepted. However, I don't think I would still change my mind based on things posted on SDN. I may write back here two years from now with exactly the same persepective as you, but as of now I really think it is important to be positive and look at all of the good things this school has to offer.

For one thing, yes you may be having a not-so-exciting 2nd year..but that is still more clinical exposure than most schools get their second year..which is literally none at some schools. It is unfortunate that your doctor you shadowed wasn't very helpful, but I guess that is just the luck of the draw. And as I understand it from other posts that there are other benefits to clinicals like more time to study for the boards. Of course my opinions mean little as I am not yet a student there...

I hope that your 3rd and 4th year offer more hands on clinical work..as that is the entire point of a 3rd and 4th year. I guess the rest of us can just hope that the kinks work themselves out by the time they come about...I don't expect to never disagree with the way things are run..people will always have problems at any school. Students complain no matter where you go..it happens.

I'm still optimistic but I guess i'm just a glass half full kind of person.

Im not an admin.

If you didnt think there was politics in medicine, or business hierachies in medicine, or that you wouldn't have to shovel someones poop, or be scutted, or be misused , or whatever in medicine, you definitely picked the wrong profession. I'm not trying to sound like an pr*ck, but I mean, come on. I could see how you are disillusioned by med school, patients, and the current system, But you were the one who got on this train right?

This is a school who cares about helping the underserved.
CHC's help the underserved. They aren't always staffed by a tremendous amount of physicians because historically they didn't give that great incentives to physicians to practice there. So, looks like some second year rotations may include a midlevel. Although keep in mind nowadays, that CHC's are practically paying for your medschool if you do choose to work there after residency ( another discussion- not really relevant to this one). Can you learn something from a midlevel? maybe, maybe not. As a med student and resident will you have to work with midlevels? uh, yeah of course. Alot of places you will be looking at for residency/rotations in certain parts of the country include attendings who are spread thin, and you might have to interact with their PA or NP periodically. Some places are academic centers, where you'll be 1 on 1 with a resident, others are not, it just comes with the territory.
Are you going to have to deal with clinical 'subordinates' like nurses, techs, and clerks? uh, yeah. And if you can't deal with it now, you may as well drop out of medicine, since these people basically dictate the flow of your day to day activities.

Are you learning something in the clinic? In most cases, yes, in others, maybe not. Either way, most schools don't even get to do stuff like this till 3rd year, so technically you should be well prepared for 3rd year rotations by the use of simple logic.
Is it a huge time commitment? not really, and you can watch the recorded lectures anytime you want during 2nd year ( Wow, same as every other school in the country that video records lectures, omg!) and have a decent amount of free time in 2nd year to prep for boards. I fail to see how this is a negative aspect.

lastly:

Yo Joes23432432 or whatever your name is-->

Is the school new? yeah, and you knew that when you applied here, so you also knew there was going to be kinks to work out since you were a part of the first class/second class. Oh yeah, and maybe you must have Lied on your application or so, saying that you "loved primary care and loved to help the underserved" or whatever garbage you spewed to get past the admissions committee, but if you look at EVERY MD AND DO SCHOOL IN THE COUNTRY, they are actively trying to recruit people into primary care. It's not a secret! If you don't care about the underserved, what are you doing here? if you could never consider the possibility of doing "primary care" what are you doing here? or in medical school for that matter?

Last edited:
Current2ndyear, would you mind sharing which CHC you are at?

I don't feel comfortable sharing which CHC I'm assigned to. Some of my classmates here are enjoying their second year experience very much despite what I see as major disadvantages and limitations. There are also students here who feel even more strongly disappointed and upset than I do. Given the exact same circumstances, you or someone else might be just fine, comfortable, and happy here.

My main point was to let people know that the 2nd year preceptors (as far as I'm aware) are not paid in any way for working with us. This has the potential to create some fairly serious problems - maybe more at some CHCs than others. For example, can each CHC locate and retain enough volunteer preceptors from year to year? Can the school ensure that students are being placed with quality preceptors (or are they just taking any physicians willing to volunteer, especially at sites where there appears to be a general lack of interest in having a 2nd year med student tagging along)? And if preceptors are not adequately teaching students or providing quality clinical experiences (either because they're not properly trained, or they only volunteered in the first place to keep the clinic CFO from pestering them), what leverage does the school have to encourage them to make our education a higher priority?

Also, I wanted people to know that more than one of the top students in my class had tried to transfer this year based on their CHC experience up to this point.

Pinklvr1014, thanks for the encouraging comments. I hope your SOMA experience is enjoyable throughout all four years. It seems like the majority of the current students feel that SOMA's good outweighs the bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone got into ATSU-SOMA??? I was interviewed on March 1st and haven't heard anything yet...it's killing me. I know they told us we should hear back at the end of march...well it's almost the end...and i am getting too anxious...
Anyone has some update???

For those of you who already interviewed; do most people bring a guest with them to the interview? Is that a good idea? Bad? Does it make a difference? What are guests doing while applicants are interviewing? Thanks!

For those of you who already interviewed; do most people bring a guest with them to the interview? Is that a good idea? Bad? Does it make a difference? What are guests doing while applicants are interviewing? Thanks!

well on my March 1st interview there were 2 students who brought one family member. For this university interview day, I would say it's o.k. to bring 1 guest. He/she will stay with you throughout the entire day except for the interview time.
Any other time, I don't think the faculty even cared or noted down anything. They are really frindly to guests and it's good to have them for the moral support. Honestly, I would say don't bother to bring anyone because it's going to be one busy day for all the presentations which I don't think your guest will be inerested hearing it.

I want to clarify something, because I am defending the validity/importance of nurses and nurse managers does not in any way imply that I am "shadowing" nurses or "working" under a nurse, or that anyone else in SOMA is doing this either. I for one have not heard of anyone shadowing any nurses in 3rd year - there were 2nd years who spent some time with a nurse practitioner in Ob/gyn that I know of, but this was only on occassion and the exception, and there is much you can learn from an experienced NP or PA. Most every day I wake up, show up at the hospital and work/learn/round/report to physician interns/residents/attendings not to nurses or nurse managers. I would be surprised if any other 3rd years at other CHCs are spending whole rotations only with NPs or PAs, but who knows...I can only tell you about my own CHC. We do not spend rotations shadowing/working under nurses, or NPs.

But if a Nurse Manager in the hospital wants something done, usually paperwork, or some other issue with a patients care, whether you are a med student, a resident or attending, you will definitely get it done!

Has anyone got into ATSU-SOMA??? I was interviewed on March 1st and haven't heard anything yet...it's killing me. I know they told us we should hear back at the end of march...well it's almost the end...and i am getting too anxious...
Anyone has some update???

Desidoc, you might want to call admissions and see what they have to say.

OMMDOC said:

Well, I wouldn't say most people bring a guest, but a lot do. I've seen parents, spouses, and bf/gf's coming to the interview. I think it's really a personal preference. They might like to get a feel for the environment that you will be spending a great deal of time in. I'm not really sure what they do during the interview portion of the day. During the tour they get to see everything with you. During lunch, they sit with you, eat, and are welcome to participate in the conversation/ask questions. It is pretty relaxed around here.

If you have concerns about the school, feel free to write an incendiary letter to the Dean or something. Quit disrespecting our/your school on a public forum, since Ironically, all you are accomplishing in the end is making not only yourself look bad/unintelligent/incapable but also slandering the institution you are going to graduate from (as if that will do wonders to help your residency application:rolleyes:).
Have some Common Sense.

Well said, arthroscope. In the long run you are really just hurting all of us, as well as yourself. How do you think schools get reputations? Why don't you focus on helping the school acknowledge their problems rather than just whining about them here. That might be a better use of your time and it sounds like they are very receptive to student opinions and they want to make us happy.

And I wouldn't go around bragging that you or your classmates don't deserve to be in medical school because the school had low standards when they admitted your class. Doesn't really inspire me to want to come to you as a patient..does it?

Maybe not being on SDN but rather studying might be a better use of your time all together... if you need to teach yourself so much why are you wasting time trying to convince people your school is so horrible...just a thought.

OMMDOC When is your interview?
I am scheduled for April 16th. Do you guys know if I'm pretty much interviewing for a waitlist spot? How much does the waitlist move each year?

I am scheduled for April 16th. Do you guys know if I'm pretty much interviewing for a waitlist spot? How much does the waitlist move each year?

Hi, OMMDOC. I can't say for certain but there is a possibility that you are interviewing for a wait list position, however, nothing in this process is certain. I spoke to Joyce, the director of admissions, a few weeks ago and she told me that the class was pretty much full and that nearly all of the students from the "high priority" wait list have already been accepted. She told me that last year, they accepted everyone from the high wait list and about half of the students from the medium wait list but since there are more applicants this year, they will probably not take as many from the medium wait list. I am sure that they will go over these details with you at your interview. She also told me that they don't expect any more wait list movement until May when students have to pay deposits. SOMA re-reviews applicants from the wait list when deciding who to admit, which means that even if you're wait listed, you have just as good of a chance as anyone else on that wait list does. Good luck at your interview! Just relax and be yourself. =)

It is hard to say if you are interviewing for a waitlist spot. I was waitlisted last year and never got off the waitlist. I applied this year and I have not even been asked to interview even though I was encouraged to apply again this cycle. It is really frustrating!

Well, I wouldn't say most people bring a guest, but a lot do. I've seen parents, spouses, and bf/gf's coming to the interview. I think it's really a personal preference. They might like to get a feel for the environment that you will be spending a great deal of time in. I'm not really sure what they do during the interview portion of the day. During the tour they get to see everything with you. During lunch, they sit with you, eat, and are welcome to participate in the conversation/ask questions. It is pretty relaxed around here.[/QUOTE]

The guest remains with you during all periods of the day, even has lunch with you, except during the interview and file review. Those two portions are the only time where they are not allowed to come in with you. I suggest you bring someone along if they want to get a feel of the school, but just be prepared that it may be a tad bit boring for them as there is no separate program for them to attend.

Anyways I also interviewed March 1st and am anxiously awaiting the final decision. Like I said before, I was placed on the "accepted but pending open position" group, which I was told was different from the wait-list. They told me to wait until March 23rd, which was a deadline for people to submit their deposits, to see if anything opens up, but I haven't received a second call yet...

Anywho my question is, for those of you who have been accepted already, does anyone know when is the next deadline to submit the deposit? I know May is the absolute deadline, but I don't want to wait that long!

Also, did anyone else receive a call similar to mine? Saying that they are on this "accepted but pending open position" group? Please let me know!

I submitted the first 1000 acceptance fee already..but there is another 1000 due before may 1st as a matriculation fee.

Good luck!!

Anyone from March 1st interview and afterwards has heard back??

I submitted the first 1000 acceptance fee already..but there is another 1000 due before may 1st as a matriculation fee.

Good luck!!

Yea sorry that's what I meant. Does anyone know when the next acceptance fee deposit deadline is? I know the matriculation one is in May but as I understand they give you like 2-3 weeks to send in an acceptance deposit after they tell you you've been accepted.

In regards to the complaints and bickering, I am frustrated with the criticism that SOMA is receiving. Though I was accepted to another school, I chose SOMA. And with the occasional mishaps and errors, my overall experience has has been pleasurable and beneficial.

I for one have had the opportunity of attending medical classes and know the curriculum of a very fine allopathic medical school. In addition, I have sat in classes at one of the best osteopathic schools. We are receiving the same education that they are. I have verified this by skimming through my First Aid for the USMLE book and we are on point.

At those 2 other schools, they do have students remediating and failing out. So do we.

One school uses note-taking services and the other records each and every lecture. Therefore, class attendance is not that strong.
We on the other hand have echo360, which records our professors voices and shows our professors' presentations and their scribbles.

Though I originally did not like the idea of buying this $2300 laptop, it has been very beneficial to our learning. I really do enjoy writing on my screen and using the applications and tools to enhance my learning. Also, it is very eco-friendly as I use less paper.

Initially, I was very hesitant about attending SOMA because I knew that I would be a part of the 3rd entering class. Also, the new curriculum scared me because I thought that I would not receive the full preparation to handle the comlex and usmle. However, the more research I did about the scheme based curriculum, I discovered that another school in Canada, the University of Calgary, improved their board scores tremendously. this weblink is a general overview: http://www.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/prospective/introduction. I am trying to find the website that i obtained the statistics of their dramatic improvements. The more that I have worked with the schemes, the easier that it has been for me to determine how to solve case presentations given in class, with sim man, and exam questions.

To keep in mind, 89% of our first time takers of the comlex passed. That is unheard of for a brand new school. Looking at other posts on SDN, we beat out a few other DO schools. I heard that admissions only expected 78% to pass. I expect the following classes will improve that % to compete with the other osteopathic schools.
Yes, the comlex scores did range. All medical schools prep students to pass, but board scores depend on your efforts outside of the classroom. Ask any adviser or counselor at a medical school.

On another note, I had the opportunity of speaking with a 3rd year student and he told me that he is enjoying his rotations. At the time, he was rotating with one of the best OMM doctors in the country, who is one of our professors. On another note, as a first year student, we have done 6-7 OSCEs (Objective structured clinical examination). In November after doing 4 OSCEs, I spoke with a friend at another osteopathic school and they were about to do their 1st osce as 2nd year students.

Like all brand new schools, there will be problems. We have a new curriculum, but 89% of the students are passing. The technology has been advantageous to our learning. We are getting the preparation to interact with our patients.

Finally, what school gives you the opportunity of interacting with patients, whether it is under a nurse practitioner, manager, or doctor during your second year? Also, having the opportunities of being in another city that needs our (future doctors) help.

Interviewed on March 1st. Just got an acceptance phone call...1st one to go to med school in my entire family....super excited..yay...

so i can finally say....

"ATSU-SOMA Class of 2014" :love:

For those current students out there:
Which computer do you recommend getting? Is the tablet worth the money? In other words, are the features used enough for it to be worth it to buy the tablet instead of the regular laptop?
Thanks!

Congrats Desidoc2010 you have taken a path not travelled by others in your family and you are on your way to success. If you don't mind, what are your stats. GPA MCAT and so forth, how did the interviews go?

Well overall my interview went well. There were 2 professors as part of my interview panel. Both were nice...
MCAT is 25 and GPA is 3.9 with regular/great ec and awards. Since it was closed interview they didn't bother me much w/academics but entirely focused on EC...

Interviewed on March 1st. Just got an acceptance phone call...1st one to go to med school in my entire family....super excited..yay...

so i can finally say....

First of all, congrats Desidoc to the SOMA family....If any of us can help you out with any questions, feel free to ask!

PreDOMD2010 said:
For those current students out there:
Which computer do you recommend getting? Is the tablet worth the money? In other words, are the features used enough for it to be worth it to buy the tablet instead of the regular laptop?
Thanks!

I've heard that you have an option of which computer you can get for your class, however, I'm not sure what your other options are. Not knowing your other option, I'll give you my opinion of our Lenovo tablets. The tablet screen is useful, I'm just not sure I use it enough to justify the expensive price tag. It is also fairly slow booting up and opening programs...enough so that it is frustrating. Some of the professors are interactive during their presentations and it is much easier to write or draw figures/diagrams/structures into onenote with the stylus instead of typing in information. It's also nice to jot down notes while you study. I guess it really just depends on your preference and note taking style. I don't remember any instance this year where it was absolutely necessary to have a tablet though.

Anybody interviewing on April 23rd? Is that the last possible date for interviews? I am wondering if I am interviewing for a waitlist spot. I am planning to go but is it worth it if there is a slim chance of getting in since the class is apparently almost full? Unless...I am stellar! Pfff... :D Show 'em what I got!!! :laugh:

Just called in today to find out I've been accepted!
Interviewed March 1st
First acceptance to med school! What a weight off my shoulders :laugh:

ATSU-SOMA c/o 2014!!!

First of all, congrats Desidoc to the SOMA family....If any of us can help you out with any questions, feel free to ask!

I've heard that you have an option of which computer you can get for your class, however, I'm not sure what your other options are. Not knowing your other option, I'll give you my opinion of our Lenovo tablets. The tablet screen is useful, I'm just not sure I use it enough to justify the expensive price tag. It is also fairly slow booting up and opening programs...enough so that it is frustrating. Some of the professors are interactive during their presentations and it is much easier to write or draw figures/diagrams/structures into onenote with the stylus instead of typing in information. It's also nice to jot down notes while you study. I guess it really just depends on your preference and note taking style. I don't remember any instance this year where it was absolutely necessary to have a tablet though.

The other option is a Macbook. Sorry- should have mentioned this. Thanks for the input :)

Just called in today to find out I've been accepted!
Interviewed March 1st
First acceptance to med school! What a weight off my shoulders :laugh:

ATSU-SOMA c/o 2014!!!

Congrats!

so i can finally say....

Congrats!!:thumbup:

Hello? Anybody interviewing on April 23rd? Has anyone called the school recently to see if the class is full? Do they send interview information by mail after they email you the interview reservation link? Because I need information like nearby hotels, interview day schedule, etc. I assume the Country Inn or La Quinta are the closest. Does anyone know any good places to see in Phoenix? How about good tours to Grand Canyon? I want to make the most out of my trip...paying like $300+ for it. :D

Hello? Anybody interviewing on April 23rd? Has anyone called the school recently to see if the class is full? Do they send interview information by mail after they email you the interview reservation link? Because I need information like nearby hotels, interview day schedule, etc. I assume the Country Inn or La Quinta are the closest. Does anyone know any good places to see in Phoenix? How about good tours to Grand Canyon? I want to make the most out of my trip...paying like $300+ for it. :D

I don't think they send anything by mail. The interview invitation email (lower portion of email) has links to hotels, maps, restaurants as well as the day's schedule. I'm not sure about things to see or Grand Canyon tours. BTW, $300+ is a relatively small amount to spend on an interview trip. My last interview cost me over $700 (air, hotel, car rental, food).

Yeah, i definitely spent more than 300 for my trip. La Quinta in is pretty nice and cheaper than Country Inns and Suites. I reserved online but if you call there is supposed to be a discount for AT Still people. They also have a shuttle that will take you anywhere within 5 miles of the hotel..which includes campus. So if you don't rent a car (I took super shuttle from the airport for only 20 dollars each way--which is way cheaper and easier than renting) they will drive you there for free. Just tell the lady at the front desk where you need to go and when. The La Quinta is also right next door to several restaurants...so you don't have to go far to grab lunch or dinner (i think it was chipotle, pf changs, krispy kreme, hooters, on the border, some sub shop, etc). Country Inns and Suites is in that same little section.

The Grand Canyon is quite a ways away from phoenix..so if you want to make a trip up there expect to shell out quite a bit of extra money and at least another day or two of your trip. The interview takes up pretty much the entire day (about 8 in the morning-3 or 4 in the afternoon) so I wouldn't expect to have time on your interview day. If I were you I'd just hope you get accepted and then do all your site seeing once you are down there..not that we are going to have much time then either ;)

If you are looking for something to do and they tell you that you have a good chance of getting in and you are feeling confident...I have no idea how full the class is but according to people writing on SDN it sounds like it is pretty much full... but just incase... I'd recommend checking out apartments while you are there to save a later trip. Most places you can walk in and just request to visit.

Good luck! And enjoy Mesa! I'm counting down the days until I get to move in there..3 months from yesterday to be exact :)

Hi. Congrats on your interview. I interviewed on Feb. 26th and was told at my interview that the class was 93% full. I've lived in Tempe my entire life so I'd like to offer some insight. If you're planning on going anywhere besides your interview and your hotel, you might like to rent a car. Most people are surprised to find out that the Phoenix metro area is very spread out. It is not easily accessible by public transportation and things are not close together. The Grand Canyon is a good 4 or 5 hour drive so I think you might want to save that for another trip unless you're feeling very ambitious. However, if you'd like to rent a car and take a nice day trip, Sedona is about a 2-hour drive North and it is very beautiful up there. There are also a few things to do in Phoenix but I am thinking it might be rather warm in late April already but the Botanical Gardens are nice. Good luck!

Hi. Congrats on your interview. I interviewed on Feb. 26th and was told at my interview that the class was 93% full. I've lived in Tempe my entire life so I'd like to offer some insight. If you're planning on going anywhere besides your interview and your hotel, you might like to rent a car. Most people are surprised to find out that the Phoenix metro area is very spread out. It is not easily accessible by public transportation and things are not close together. The Grand Canyon is a good 4 or 5 hour drive so I think you might want to save that for another trip unless you're feeling very ambitious. However, if you'd like to rent a car and take a nice day trip, Sedona is about a 2-hour drive North and it is very beautiful up there. There are also a few things to do in Phoenix but I am thinking it might be rather warm in late April already but the Botanical Gardens are nice. Good luck!

I'm actually staying a day or two after the interview day to look around. Whenever I interview, it's nice to get a good feel for the place because it could become my new home. I wanted to ask about the Grand Canyon tours because I don't really trust the online ones you find through the search engines. Lol. I was hoping someone living in the Phoenix area has any suggestions. I'm thinking about renting a car...but not sure yet.

I'm actually staying a day or two after the interview day to look around. Whenever I interview, it's nice to get a good feel for the place because it could become my new home. I wanted to ask about the Grand Canyon tours because I don't really trust the online ones you find through the search engines. Lol. I was hoping someone living in the Phoenix area has any suggestions. I'm thinking about renting a car...but not sure yet.

Lol, well you do seem pretty set on going to the Grand Canyon. I've never taken a tour there so I can't give any personal recommendation. All the times I've gone we've just driven up there and stayed in a hotel and gone hiking, etc. I know there are lots of different activities so it kind of just depends on what you're looking to do. Are you just interested in looking around or are you looking to hike around the rim a bit? Do you want to hike down a bit and take a mule up? You can hike up? There are many options so in that sense, a tour is perfectly sensible. I can certainly ask around, maybe ask my parents about tours and see what they think?

Lol, well you do seem pretty set on going to the Grand Canyon. I've never taken a tour there so I can't give any personal recommendation. All the times I've gone we've just driven up there and stayed in a hotel and gone hiking, etc. I know there are lots of different activities so it kind of just depends on what you're looking to do. Are you just interested in looking around or are you looking to hike around the rim a bit? Do you want to hike down a bit and take a mule up? You can hike up? There are many options so in that sense, a tour is perfectly sensible. I can certainly ask around, maybe ask my parents about tours and see what they think?

Haha. :D I have never been to the Grand Canyon before! I never really get to see National Parks, etc. because most of my family members don't enjoy nature or beautiful scenic views. I guess I just wanted to check out the Grand Canyon and take a few nice pics. I love taking scenic and nature pics so I think you can see why I am a little set on going. :love: Lol. Unless...I know I am going to SOMA. :xf: :luck:

I just received notification that my application was being held for review at a later date. Do I still have a chance? should I send a letter of intent? or should I just wait and see what happens?

Hello everyone I just sent in my withdrawal from the class and hope this will allow somebody else to spend their time in this program. Hope this makes someone from the waitlist happy.

Best of Luck:thumbup:

GreysJunkie

IMHO a letter of intent is an excellent way of differentiating yourself to the ADCOM's at this stage in the process.

The other option is a Macbook. Sorry- should have mentioned this. Thanks for the input :)

Hello! My laptop just broke down so I need to buy a new one anyway, and since I'm prob goin to ATSU, I was wondering if any of you have some more details regarding the laptop that satisfies the school requirement? Does it have to be a specific laptop? Or can it be a laptop in general that satisfies certail requirements (like having a certain program on it) I sent an e-mail to ATSU but they haven't replied, and I can't stay laptop-less for long! I know you mentioned Lenovo thinkpad and Macbook satisfy the requirements, does anyone know the details on which specific computers satisfy the requirements, and where I can find them? Thanks so much!

Hello! My laptop just broke down so I need to buy a new one anyway, and since I'm prob goin to ATSU, I was wondering if any of you have some more details regarding the laptop that satisfies the school requirement? Does it have to be a specific laptop? Or can it be a laptop in general that satisfies certail requirements (like having a certain program on it) I sent an e-mail to ATSU but they haven't replied, and I can't stay laptop-less for long! I know you mentioned Lenovo thinkpad and Macbook satisfy the requirements, does anyone know the details on which specific computers satisfy the requirements, and where I can find them? Thanks so much!

i am a current student but i do not know what the new laptop requirements will be for the class of 2014.
i have the lenovo x200 tablet. it cost a hefty $2300, but it is useful to be able to write on the computer and take notes. very eco friendly. ii'll admit that it is a love-hate relationship with it, but it serves the job. it would had been nice if the stupid ipad was designed that way instead of being an oversized itouch.

the admissions sent us an email with the link to the manufacturers because the laptop was customized with all the programs that we need, etc. call them and ask about it.

also, i still have my macbook for music, pictures, and travel. aka the fun laptop

finally, they are suggesting that students get a smartphone, such as blackberry, to have epocrates available. you can also go for the itouch, iphone, palm, droid, etc. i personally like my blackberry with the better service warrenty

Last edited: