ATSU/SOMA (Arizona) Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally got the interview invite! Scheduled for 11/9 :)

One question...has anyone brought a guest? I saw that area on the request form and listed my fiancee just in case it was a good idea- any insight/experiences with that?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am assuming that you mentioned your volunteer experience, if you are questioning and still not sure (I would be too), then call Joyce and ask what her best advice would be. It also sounds like you know a specific surgeon so if you do not have a recommendation from him and think he might supply one, then also mention this to Joyce as a possible addition to your application and why. It never hurts to ask but it might if you don't. Best wishes.

Hi Johnson48,

thanks for the response, I did contact Joyce and she said I should send them an update letter.

i would ask the surgeon for a LOR, but there's a few reasons why I haven't. I spent a lot more time at Clinica Adelante, and I have two LORs from two of their current physicians (both of them being DO's). I haven't asked the surgeon to write me a letter because I feel she wanted me to go to a MD granting institution. This is based on several conversations we had. But I really love ATSU's education model and what they are trying to do for the future of health care. This is why I decreased my time spent at the Mayo and more time at a community health center. When I told her I was interested in ATSU-SOMA, she became very concerned about my decision. 1 - being because she felt I was limiting my opportunities by pursuing a DO granting school and 2 - because the campus was so new. But these are minor obstacles to me. The world of DO's have been changing and I am confident in ATSU. So I didn't ask her for a LOR because she would be disappointed and that it would affect our working relationship. =/

accepted! :laugh: such a relief! good luck to everyone else! I interviewed 9/28.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at SOMA 2 years ago and received encouraging news to improve my gpa and then reapply again. I did just that, but am now put on hold pre-interview.
has anyone been put on hold pre-interview and then invited to interview later on?

Okay guys. Primary verified. Secondary Sent. How long till I hear anything or get an interview invite. MCAT is on low end 23S. GPA 3.68 (3.22 Science). Shadowing, hospital volunteer, homeless shelter, autistic services, a lot of research. and I LOVE ARIZONA. I am an out of stater also.

What are my chances at an interview?!

thanks

I just scheduled my interview for 11/16. This is my first med school interview. Any advice on how to prepare? I read the few posts from people who already interviewed. Just looking for your general tips on preparing for odd questions so that you appear to be a thoughtful person with some interesting insight. Thanks!

One question...has anyone brought a guest? I saw that area on the request form and listed my fiancee just in case it was a good idea- any insight/experiences with that?

This thread is not very popular;) jk.. Bueller? Anyone?:D

I interviewed at SOMA 2 years ago and received encouraging news to improve my gpa and then reapply again. I did just that, but am now put on hold pre-interview.
has anyone been put on hold pre-interview and then invited to interview later on?

Have you had a chance to contact the school? The admission's team is very friendly. I've been placed on hold as well as they want to see how I do in my fall prereq classes. I know the wait can be painful.:( Hang in there.

I just scheduled my interview for 11/16. This is my first med school interview. Any advice on how to prepare? I read the few posts from people who already interviewed. Just looking for your general tips on preparing for odd questions so that you appear to be a thoughtful person with some interesting insight. Thanks!

I've read in other forums that it's a good strategy to look at the interview feedback page and get a neutral person to ask you similar interview questions. If you want some lighter reading, there's a thread in the pre-allo forum regarding bad interview answers/experiences. :)

Letter dated 10/21, received 10/26, interviewed 10/16. Anyone else out there in the interview group? How do you feel about SOMA? I think the new curriculum is great!:D

Last edited:
Letter dated 10/21, received 10/26, interviewed 10/16. Anyone else out there in the interview group? How do you feel about SOMA? I think the new curriculum is great!:D

Hey,

I am about to interview there, can you share your impressions?

Thanks

bainrd, I was in the afternoon interview group on 10/16 as well.... and I found out about my acceptance today, too! I've been crying tears of joy non-stop. Were you in the morning or afternoon group?

Last edited:

Congrats!! I'm interviewing in a few weeks. The more I read about the curriculum the more excited I get. I can't wait for my interview! What do you think about the curriculum? Anything else you found out during your interview?

bainrd, I was in the afternoon interview group on 10/16 as well.... and I found out about my acceptance today, too! I've been crying tears of joy non-stop. Were you in the morning or afternoon group?

I thought they called to inform people of their acceptance.... I interviewed yesterday. i'm hoping to receive a phone call this week~

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought they called to inform people of their acceptance.... I interviewed yesterday. i'm hoping to receive a phone call this week~

No, they did not call. I'm out of town right now on another med school interview then I read bainrd's post, so I decided to give Amy a phone call, and she told me about the acceptance. I am so excited about the CHC movement, and I can't wait to be a part of it.

For those interviewing, get ready for a very warm, welcoming experience. The people at SOMA have big hearts, the students, faculty, and staff... and even my interviewers said to me, "What we're trying to do today is not only understand what's in here <points to his head>, but mainly what's in here <points to his heart>."

So, if you have a genuine desire to work with the underserved, particularly in primary care (and even more particularly in CHC's, which is my enthusiasm), then be sure to express that. It's important to mention the meaningful interactions you've had with the community, and how you want to continue those meaningful interactions into your career in medicine.

I got this book by J. Fleenor called "The Medical School Interview" that really broke ground for me and helped me to prepare. I strongly suggest everyone read this book, it was my bible for a week... and I truly owe all of my interview success to this book. If anyone has any questions, feel free to write me.

Last edited:
Congrats!! I'm interviewing in a few weeks. The more I read about the curriculum the more excited I get. I can't wait for my interview! What do you think about the curriculum? Anything else you found out during your interview?

Best of luck! I like how they refer to their instructors as "facilitators" rather than "professors," to emphasize the team learning environment. This school is one of only a couple in the country (apparently) to use this curriculum to its full extent, so definitely consider your learning style. There is small group work, essentially designed to foster self-directed learning, although the faculty give you the tools you need and are there along the way. In this sense it is somewhat problem-based, although that isn't the focus of the curriculum. Their curriculum is presentation-based, which essentially means you will learn 120ish different ways a patient presents. You will learn the anatomy, phys, biochem, neuro, etc. of different modules like "headache," "chest discomfort," uh . . . "rectal bleeding," (idk):laugh:. There are not formal classes or lectures in this sense, and no block or subject-based courses. It uses the concept of flow charts and inductive reasoning to arrive at a diagnosis. They have not graduated a class yet, but I heard from a student the current third years had a 94% first time pass rate. They have very nice patient simulation equipment, too. I like the idea of being with a smaller group of peers for years 2-4, and although you do have the option to rank which CHCs you prefer, it is ultimately a lottery system. Although there are sites in and around Phoenix, you should probably plan to move after your first year. I'm sure there's more but let me know if you think of anything. I just found this: http://www.atsu.edu/soma/programs/osteopathic_medicine/pdfs/fact_sheet.pdf. It says it better than I can, I'm sure. The curriculum presentation at the school is excellent.

Last edited:

Hey I was in the am group! Congrats:thumbup: Maybe I'll see ya? Let me know what you think about my post (above) to see if you agree.

Last edited:
hey i mustve been in your group as well! I just received my acceptance letter, but still deciding. It worries me that its so new and there is no data on comlex pass rates or residencies...do you know of any published data on the scores that you heard? That'd be encouraging to know the system works.
and congrats!!

hey i mustve been in your group as well! I just received my acceptance letter, but still deciding. It worries me that its so new and there is no data on comlex pass rates or residencies...do you know of any published data on the scores that you heard? That'd be encouraging to know the system works.
and congrats!!

No I don't have any facts, just what I heard from the student. The new curriculum makes sense but you are right, it hasn't really been tested. The traditional curriculum in most other schools has been around since the beginning of time :))) but obviously works. Congrats to you too, and good luck with your decision; I know it's tough.

hey guys,

does anyone know the number of applicants interviewed vs the number accepted (in general)?

Best of luck! I like how they refer to their instructors as "facilitators" rather than "professors," to emphasize the team learning environment. This school is one of only a couple in the country (apparently) to use this curriculum to its full extent, so definitely consider your learning style. There is small group work, essentially designed to foster self-directed learning, although the faculty give you the tools you need and are there along the way. In this sense it is somewhat problem-based, although that isn't the focus of the curriculum. Their curriculum is presentation-based, which essentially means you will learn 120ish different ways a patient presents. You will learn the anatomy, phys, biochem, neuro, etc. of different modules like "headache," "chest discomfort," uh . . . "rectal bleeding," (idk):laugh:. There are not formal classes or lectures in this sense, and no block or subject-based courses. It uses the concept of flow charts and inductive reasoning to arrive at a diagnosis. They have not graduated a class yet, but I heard from a student the current third years had a 94% first time pass rate. They have very nice patient simulation equipment, too. I like the idea of being with a smaller group of peers for years 2-4, and although you do have the option to rank which CHCs you prefer, it is ultimately a lottery system. Although there are sites in and around Phoenix, you should probably plan to move after your first year. I'm sure there's more but let me know if you think of anything. I just found this: http://www.atsu.edu/soma/programs/osteopathic_medicine/pdfs/fact_sheet.pdf. It says it better than I can, I'm sure. The curriculum presentation at the school is excellent.

Alright, regardless of what is said, they are lectures 1st year. They just happen to be lectures in a panoramic setting. If you went to a small college then you will find it a very familiar atmosphere, for those from larger schools you will be very shocked at the relaxed, open question atmosphere. Second year podcast you get to speed up the voices :) but it takes a lot of time even then. The curriculum can work great depending on who is controlling that segment and how long they have had experience with the curriculum but that is also part of being a new school. Medical skills is not a favorite first year class mainly due to how busy you already are with everything else but definitely helps in year two. The sim man is okay but the school is still trying to integrate it more. 1st time pass rate was not quite that high but it was very close to the national average. I am with a good group of fellow med students but imagine if you were not with people you enjoyed, yikes. (most groups personality wise are doing very well). You are correct in that almost everyone, regardless of location for second year moved with a small minority even moving again after second year to be closer to their permanent rotation sites.
Congratulations to those who have been accepted. Even if you chose not to attend SOMA, the relief of having at least one acceptance always feels good.

Alright, regardless of what is said, they are lectures 1st year. They just happen to be lectures in a panoramic setting. If you went to a small college then you will find it a very familiar atmosphere, for those from larger schools you will be very shocked at the relaxed, open question atmosphere. Second year podcast you get to speed up the voices :) but it takes a lot of time even then. The curriculum can work great depending on who is controlling that segment and how long they have had experience with the curriculum but that is also part of being a new school. Medical skills is not a favorite first year class mainly due to how busy you already are with everything else but definitely helps in year two. The sim man is okay but the school is still trying to integrate it more. 1st time pass rate was not quite that high but it was very close to the national average. I am with a good group of fellow med students but imagine if you were not with people you enjoyed, yikes. (most groups personality wise are doing very well). You are correct in that almost everyone, regardless of location for second year moved with a small minority even moving again after second year to be closer to their permanent rotation sites.
Congratulations to those who have been accepted. Even if you chose not to attend SOMA, the relief of having at least one acceptance always feels good.

Thank you very much that is great. I just heard from the director of admissions that the unofficial scores for the July test showed a 94% first time pass rate, and the October test was 89%. What does this mean? Some took it in July and some in October?

Thank you very much that is great. I just heard from the director of admissions that the unofficial scores for the July test showed a 94% first time pass rate, and the October test was 89%. What does this mean? Some took it in July and some in October?

It's kind of like the MCAT - there are a lot of dates available, so the class won't take it all in one day or two days for that matter. It's spread out over the whole summer.

The rate in July was 94%, which makes sense, since those that would feel more confident would take it earlier. By the time the whole class had taken it, in October, the overall rate had fallen to 89.8%. The national pass rate this past year was 90.15%.

Interviewing on Friday...who's with me??

I have my interview on Nov 6th. A bit nervous but excited. I'm doing the PM session, is anyone else in it?

hey, im interviewing on friday also, are you in the am or pm group?

So I called today to check on status of my application. She said a letter has been mailed to me. Should arrive next week. I have not interviewed yet. Is this a rejection or interview invite? She said they send interview invites via mail and email. What do you guys think? thanks

I guess I will call them tomorrow, I am not sure if I should Just manually type in the address to KCOM on interfolio, and label it for SOMA

Interfolio should have SOMA in their system. I sent my letters via Interfolio and they arrived with no problem.

So I called today to check on status of my application. She said a letter has been mailed to me. Should arrive next week. I have not interviewed yet. Is this a rejection or interview invite? She said they send interview invites via mail and email. What do you guys think? thanks

They told me the same thing and it was a rejection. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I hope that it will be different for you!

I went in June for a tour of the campus and brought my wife. She picked up several things that I did not and I wanted her to see the facilities, especially if I was stuck between two schools so that she could help in the decision. It really helped.

It could be a hold letter? That's what I received:)

I am on a pre-interview hold as well. I found out when I called them last week. +pissed+ :cry:

Ok these are my thoughts about the school

Pros:

1. Alot of robotic simulators, though only adults...

2. Good Lunch

Cons:
1. Only one year of lectures at the school. One of the admins joked it was because they didnt have enough room for two years.....I could believe that.

2. Lecture room was really small. The room consists of about 20 circular desks surrounding a tv in the center of the room. The large auditorium is for the other programs.

3. The OMM room is tiny and does not have TVs to show techniques.

4. The interview day was extremely long and ran late.

5. Library consisted of about 3 shelves of books....dont even have a physical library if it is all going to be online.

6. CHC history session seemed more like a propaganda film.

7. Finacial aid session was a voice recorded power point. The finacial aid person, was to bored to repeat her spiel.

Overall the school seemed mediocore and seemed like it was put together really quickly.

so Fall 2010 is going to be there 3rd year since they opened?

Hey Biology101, first year Bruce here. Just needed to make a few clarifications.

Pros:

2. Good Lunch

Cons:
1. Only one year of lectures at the school. One of the admins joked it was because they didnt have enough room for two years.....I could believe that.

2. Lecture room was really small. The room consists of about 20 circular desks surrounding a tv in the center of the room. The large auditorium is for the other programs.

The cons about the size of the classrooms are pretty funny - yeah, lucky for us that they forgot to plan more room for upperclassmen. They realized that problem halfway through the first year and that's when they got the idea to send 2nd years out, and that's when the whole CHC movement started. Kind of worked out in the end.

But seriously though, I view these things as pros. Personally, I find it reassuring that the class size isn't going to balloon like it is at other schools - it's limited to the 110 or so chairs in the main lecture hall. And why have more space than is necessary?

Also, there are 8 large screen TV's in the main lecture room, not one. And in the middle is a podium. It's not like they improvised with this lecture room - they planned it out that way. It's supposed to be more intimate, and more oriented towards group learning - hence the circular tables.

There are two video projectors in the OMM room, you probably missed them installed on the ceiling. Also, the accordion walls were probably shut - I really wouldn't describe the OMM room as small. When we do OMM, the class is split into two groups, and 50 people fit very comfortably in that room. We have actually had some special sessions in there with the whole class, all 100 of us, and there was definitely enough space for all of us.

This is bad. I hope no one missed a flight or anything! I remember some of the interview days being really exhausting.

5. Library consisted of about 3 shelves of books....dont even have a physical library if it is all going to be online.

Yeah, my undergrad had 98 miles of shelving, and I was a history major, so I used it a lot. Needless to say, the library here wasn't too impressive on interview day/when I first arrived.

That said, however, I don't know of anybody in the class who is disappointed with the library now. It's definitely enough for our needs, plus there are way more books online, plus StatRef, and pubmed and everything. We even have access to an online historical medical image collection, for the history buff in me. And, we get the online access for the rest of our lives.

Haha, I don't know what to say about this one.

7. Finacial aid session was a voice recorded power point. The finacial aid person, was to bored to repeat her spiel.

I don't really understand what you mean here. Haha, if I worked in financial aid, I would be bored too. Our financial aid has been very organized and supportive for us, though. They made step-by-step web videos for filling out all the paperwork for Sallie Mae; it was never confusing. There were several classmates who had to have short term loans because of complications with lenders or the military or whatever, and the financial aid office just wrote them a check right then. (the students had to pay it back of course, but they got their money that day.)

But yeah, if you don't like voice recorded powerpoints, you probably wouldn't like our second year - which is all web-based. We have had some this year as well. I can see how in a group setting it might not suit you well, but for the lectures themselves, I love being able to go back and forward, play at double speed, etc.

Overall the school seemed mediocore and seemed like it was put together really quickly.

I'm sorry that this is the impression you got - it definitely is a new school, and there are kinks that are still getting worked out. But the curriculum and the CHC affiliation are brilliant. I would highly suggest visiting one of the CHC campuses before you write SOMA off. I was actually going to go somewhere else until I visited the NYC CHC. Let me know if you have any more questions or if you need anything else clarified.

Hey Biology101, first year Bruce here. Just needed to make a few clarifications.

The cons about the size of the classrooms are pretty funny - yeah, lucky for us that they forgot to plan more room for upperclassmen. They realized that problem halfway through the first year and that's when they got the idea to send 2nd years out, and that's when the whole CHC movement started. Kind of worked out in the end.

But seriously though, I view these things as pros. Personally, I find it reassuring that the class size isn't going to balloon like it is at other schools - it's limited to the 110 or so chairs in the main lecture hall. And why have more space than is necessary?

Also, there are 8 large screen TV's in the main lecture room, not one. And in the middle is a podium. It's not like they improvised with this lecture room - they planned it out that way. It's supposed to be more intimate, and more oriented towards group learning - hence the circular tables.

There are two video projectors in the OMM room, you probably missed them installed on the ceiling. Also, the accordion walls were probably shut - I really wouldn't describe the OMM room as small. When we do OMM, the class is split into two groups, and 50 people fit very comfortably in that room. We have actually had some special sessions in there with the whole class, all 100 of us, and there was definitely enough space for all of us.

This is bad. I hope no one missed a flight or anything! I remember some of the interview days being really exhausting.

Yeah, my undergrad had 98 miles of shelving, and I was a history major, so I used it a lot. Needless to say, the library here wasn't too impressive on interview day/when I first arrived.

That said, however, I don't know of anybody in the class who is disappointed with the library now. It's definitely enough for our needs, plus there are way more books online, plus StatRef, and pubmed and everything. We even have access to an online historical medical image collection, for the history buff in me. And, we get the online access for the rest of our lives.

Haha, I don't know what to say about this one.

I don't really understand what you mean here. Haha, if I worked in financial aid, I would be bored too. Our financial aid has been very organized and supportive for us, though. They made step-by-step web videos for filling out all the paperwork for Sallie Mae; it was never confusing. There were several classmates who had to have short term loans because of complications with lenders or the military or whatever, and the financial aid office just wrote them a check right then. (the students had to pay it back of course, but they got their money that day.)

But yeah, if you don't like voice recorded powerpoints, you probably wouldn't like our second year - which is all web-based. We have had some this year as well. I can see how in a group setting it might not suit you well, but for the lectures themselves, I love being able to go back and forward, play at double speed, etc.

I'm sorry that this is the impression you got - it definitely is a new school, and there are kinks that are still getting worked out. But the curriculum and the CHC affiliation are brilliant. I would highly suggest visiting one of the CHC campuses before you write SOMA off. I was actually going to go somewhere else until I visited the NYC CHC. Let me know if you have any more questions or if you need anything else clarified.

I certainly agree that there are kinks and they are being worked out, however in the small timeframe I had to view the school, that was my impression.

I probably will not have the chance to visit a chc center, however I am sure they provided a needed role and can be instrumental experience for those looking for a rural centered medical education.

Thanks for the comments, my intent was not to bash the school just state my opinion.

I certainly agree that there are kinks and they are being worked out, however in the small timeframe I had to view the school, that was my impression.

I probably will not have the chance to visit a chc center, however I am sure they provided a needed role and can be instrumental experience for those looking for a rural centered medical education.

Thanks for the comments, my intent was not to bash the school just state my opinion.

Finding the right med school for your needs can sometimes be difficult. But that's the great thing about having an interview day. You get to see if the school would be a good fit and vice a versa. I did want to add, not all the CHC's are in rural areas. I'm actually an active volunteer at the Phoenix CHC. I hope you find the school that fits you best!

Finding the right med school for your needs can sometimes be difficult. But that's the great thing about having an interview day. You get to see if the school would be a good fit and vice a versa. I did want to add, not all the CHC's are in rural areas. I'm actually an active volunteer at the Phoenix CHC. I hope you find the school that fits you best!
Yea, thanks

I apologize if I came off strong or defensive, and you are definitely entitled to your feelings. Good luck in all your interviews.

Last edited:
Hello all.
I was just accepted last week for class of 2014 =] I have interviewed at other medical schools and its true that at first SOMA did not seem too impressive...but for some reason I really liked it there. The way the curriculum is designed and the way the classroom is arranged makes it possible to learn as much from other students as from your professors. I'm guessing attendance is mandatory? I forgot to ask. Anyway, being a texas resident I would still have to see if I'm accepted in Texas schools before deciding where to go. The main reason I would go to the Texas schools I have interviewed at so far would be the tuition difference =/ other than that, I'm sure I would be happy at SOMA.

Hello all.
I was just accepted last week for class of 2014 =] I have interviewed at other medical schools and its true that at first SOMA did not seem too impressive...but for some reason I really liked it there. The way the curriculum is designed and the way the classroom is arranged makes it possible to learn as much from other students as from your professors. I'm guessing attendance is mandatory? I forgot to ask. Anyway, being a texas resident I would still have to see if I'm accepted in Texas schools before deciding where to go. The main reason I would go to the Texas schools I have interviewed at so far would be the tuition difference =/ other than that, I'm sure I would be happy at SOMA.

I definitely hear you on the tuition thing, especially Texas! That said, we have a lot of people from Texas in our class. Attendance is mandatory at OMM and small groups, but not for the large groups. OMM is once a week for 4 hours, small groups is once or twice a week for 2 hours each time. So most of the time you are not required to be in class.

hi everyone, just wanted to let people know that i have cancelled my interview spot for december 14. i hope this helps someone. good luck everyone!

Pros:

2. Good Lunch

Cons:

Just read this today, because I've been busy. Thanks Bruce for your response. As another SOMA student, I'll provide my thoughts.

Well, it would be very hard for 2nd years to fly from their CHC to the Mesa campus every week. So, as to fit with the SOMA philosophy and teaching curriculum, we don't need space for more than 1 year of classes. There is a new half empty AT Still building adjacent to us if we become pressed for space.

I feel I have a much more interactive lecture being 10 ft away from the professor and 15ft away from one of 8 50 inch LCD Screens. I also don't fall asleep in lecture and rarely see anyone else sleeping in our lectures. There is also room for the 1-5 professors that also attend our lectures.

I don't know how much bigger we need it. As Bruce said our split groups don't come close to filling the room and our full class has fit in there comfortably before. No we don't have TV screens in the OMM room, but I feel the 2 10ft x 10ft HD projection screens are more than adequate.

I apologize

Yeah, you are correct there aren't many books in our library. They do have an extensive online collection and can get most books you need if them for your research. I haven't had time to do much else besides study.

Haha, well they were probably promoting the schools philosophy and helping to explain what a CHC is.

After attending several colleges through undergrad and post grad, this financial aid office is great. They get things done. Did she not answer all your questions? Some of it can be found on our website if not. Besides that, financial aid isn't much different from school to school. The government allows the same loans to all the schools. I got a packet of information about various scholarships that where available. Not sure if they still do that.

"I probably will not have the chance to visit a chc center, however I am sure they provided a needed role and can be instrumental experience for those looking for a rural centered medical education."

While many CHC's are located in rural locations and provided needed healthcare to those under served, many are not rural. i.e.-our Brooklyn CHC.

While, our school isn't perfect. They are listening to the students and trying to improve on areas of need. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about ATSU-SOMA and I'll do my best to find you an answer.

So what make and model of laptop do you have to get? Are lectures recorded and made available online in case you don't want to attend the lectures? Thanks guys.

So what make and model of laptop do you have to get? Are lectures recorded and made available online in case you don't want to attend the lectures? Thanks guys.

Our class got the Lenovo X200 Tablet. It's a package deal that comes with a base and DVD-RW. I'm not sure which one they are requiring for this upcoming years class. It's nice having the same laptops, because our IT department is Lenovo certified and can fix most stuff onsite.

The lectures are recorded and put online as well as the powerpoint presentations.

Last edited:
So, after thinking about it long and hard, I decided the second year format at SOMA is not for me. As a learner, I need structure. In college, I spent a lot of one-on-one time with my professors (I went to a small private college). I'm not sure how I would fare without having that in medical school.

I got accepted to a couple other programs, one allopathic and one osteopathic. It's been a touch choice, and it took some research on my part, but I realized as an M.D. I could still have the opportunity to learn OMM. I think I would have a much more unique niche as an M.D. with OMM skills.

I would've loved to have been a part of the CHC movement, as I desire to be involved with it as a practicing physician, but essentially, I don't believe the LEARNING environment at SOMA is right for me. :(

I think the heart and mission of this school is exactly where my heart is, but their teaching approach does not align with my needs. I really enjoyed my time at the school, and felt that the students, faculty and staff were so warm and welcoming.

Good luck to all those interviewing and matriculating in the fall!

So, after thinking about it long and hard, I decided the second year format at SOMA is not for me. As a learner, I need structure. In college, I spent a lot of one-on-one time with my professors (I went to a small private college). I'm not sure how I would fare without having that in medical school.

I got accepted to a couple other programs, one allopathic and one osteopathic. It's been a touch choice, and it took some research on my part, but I realized as an M.D. I could still have the opportunity to learn OMM. I think I would have a much more unique niche as an M.D. with OMM skills.

I would've loved to have been a part of the CHC movement, as I desire to be involved with it as a practicing physician, but essentially, I don't believe the LEARNING environment at SOMA is right for me. :(

I think the heart and mission of this school is exactly where my heart is, but their teaching approach does not align with my needs. I really enjoyed my time at the school, and felt that the students, faculty and staff were so warm and welcoming.

Good luck to all those interviewing and matriculating in the fall!

Congratulations on making a hard decision - it is not fun to do. Good luck next year!

I had a question that I was hoping some SOMA students could answer for me. Do SOMA students primarily do primary care when they graduate or do they do other fields like emergency medicine, surgery, etc.