ATSU/SOMA (Arizona) Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just had a few question about the school. I will be interviewing shortly and have been investigating the school. I have been accepted to some more traditional curriculum schools and wanted to get any students opinions on a number of issues. I encourage feedback from different opinions.

1. I am trying to find the right curriculum for my learning style. I prefer smaller classes and this is the smallest overall class size out of all the schools I have been accepted to or are still interviewing at. One student from a small school background said they thought the curriculum/ learning style was not right for them. I was interested in your logic.

This is my understanding of the school, and, please, correct me if I am wrong. The school has small classroom with a little over 100 students in it that receive several lectures. The first year is a traditional systems based curriculum. This is where I get a bit hazy. Now the students are in tables in their lecture room to encourage group discussion. Does group discussion occur in class? Do the students discuss subject matters after they are lectured?

Then in years 2-4. You have less classroom hours than most schools, but you do meet a few hours a day and discuss subjects in a group of 10 students at your CHC. With my preference for small groups and questions, I could see this as being a good fit. Are there real professors present at these sites or are they webcammed in? If there is a hybrid, what % is actual professors?

2. I am pretty passionate about being a general surgeon. Do you think I am a disadvantage applying to residencies because I will not have done a full dissection? My intuition tells me that doing a full dissection, as opposed to witnessing a prosection, would be better for my surgery skills. If any surgery students care to share their experience thus far, please share.

3. Here is a big question. I know the literal definitions of professors vs “facilitators”. Is there any concrete difference than what you experienced in undergraduate and in this curriculum? I had one class where the teachers guided us and did not teach us. A bunch of undergrads trying to figure out some dense biology was a disaster. The teacher literally did not teach. It was an incredibly frustrating class.

4. What are the professors’ availability? I was really impressed with Touro-NV open door policy for their professors. The professors are there from 9-5 and really go out of their way to teach their students. How would you describe the teaching atmosphere here? I prefer an environment where you feel comfortable asking any and all questions.

5. What are the requirements and elective options for the 3rd and 4th year? I haven’t seen this online.

6. What are the faculty qualifications? I have talked to an admissions counselor and all she could tell me is that some of them were new and some were not. It immediately made me wonder, how qualified is there staff. She may have just done a terrible job selling it.

I encourage all to chime in (especially those that have interviewed or are currently students)

I am a second year and just wanted to add my thoughts on these questions.

1. In regards to the curriculum, it is NOT a traditional systems based curriculum. I am sure you saw that at your interview. It is more of a mix of systems based and problem based learning models. The key is the schemes, that help to present the information based on a symptom, which is how you will have to think about it in practice. Joes5230 is right, there is a learning curve to the schemes and things don't always go well. It is also a new school and in a lot of ways they are still figuring things out. This is honesty a big frustration for be because I was sold on this curriculum and it isn't always panning out well. However, I still think I am learning what I need to. Dr. Mandin who was key to developing this curriculum in Calgary and implementing it at several schools says it generally takes a few years for schools to get the hang of it.

While the school doesn't like to call it lectures, everything is still a lectures. The professor talks and you take notes. The room does facilitate discussion a little, but in my first year the professors mostly just lectured. It is nice not to be 200 ft away from your professor and just one in a sea of 300 faces.

In regards to the basic science curriculum, it isn't as strong as it might be at some research based schools. And it is very different getting it over 2 years. However, I don't think it is as weak as some think it is. I think the disadvantage is that it is spread out, but you also learn it in the setting you will apply it . . . But that makes it hard to compare yourself to a first year at another school. They HAVE had more basic science, but yours is still coming. It also might feel like less because we get smaller portions at a time. I think a third year who has taken boards would be better at answering this (by the way the schools board pass rate is pretty comparable to other COMs on both COMLEX and USMLE, which doesn't happen often for its first class).

That being said, the school is still building its faculty and the faculty is small anyway. So there is a lot of overlap in what teachers present. And sometimes they get it wrong - but this is usually in pretty minor details. They are some new teachers, but several have taught at other med schools. We also have past leaders of COCA (the accrediting body), the AOA, and faculty that have been instrumental in starting other successful schools. We have some of the best physicians in Az (and the facilitators in my CHC have also won many awards).

In regards to the CHC's, Joes5230 talked about rotation issues. There were some issues. It is the first year and that is to be expected. I don't know about his CHC, but everyone at mine loves it hear (and I am in one that had multiple problems getting started). Most of the students I talk to really like second year. I know some CHCs are struggling, but from what I understand that is few and far between.

2) I don't know much about general surgery. There are at least 3 surgeons on staff (2 facilitators and 1 anatomy professor). Perhaps you can get ahold of one of them and see what they think. They know the school and they know what it takes to become a surgeon.

3) Mostly facilitators help work through cases in small group in the first year. In the second year they offer some help with the curriculum and also help work through cases. They are all physicians from various backgrounds. Some are better than others. The one at my CHC is phenomenal.

4) I never had a problem with office hours, or with someone getting back with me, but I am not a big question asker.

5) I am not the person hiring, but everyone is PhD, MDs or DOs. There are a few new teachers, but most have obviously been teaching for a long time and teach really well. It is important to remember that this isn't a research school, it is a teaching school. The professors only job is to teach. The proportion of good teachers is much higher here than at my undergrad (which was a large state school with lots of researchers). Students are first, not after research, image, sports, fancy buildings and whatever else some other school focus on.

New schools are not for everyone. Things are not as smooth and it can make everything seem frustrating and not well put together. But there are frustrating things about every med school. Nothing is handed to you on a silver platter in med school. Students at every school have to wade through a lot of not so perfect things. There isn’t a school out there that teaches you everything you need to know for boards, you have to study on your own. There are some poor teachers, hard rotations, and difficult courses at every school. Expect it. If you want to go to get into a very competitive specialty residency, this school might not be the one for you. It isn’t designed for that. It is designed to fill the medical needs of the nation. Its also designed to put out awesome clinicians with great clinical skills who tie their basic science knowledge to what they are seeing on the floor or in the clinic (instead of forgetting it after passing boards). So if you want to be a good clinician and fill a need, this is the school for you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I'm going in for an interview for SOMA soon and I was wondering if you guys have interview questions or a link for interview questions that I could look over. I tried on SDN but for some reason I can't find them. I'm starting to get a feel for the school and curriculum after having read numerous posts and articles but if you guys have any advice about the interview or the school itself please pass it along.

Thank You,
N

rainman, I just had my interview there last week, and I'll start off by saying that I LOVE that school. The interview is in two parts, one is a file review and the other is the normal interview. During file review, they just go over your files with you, such as scores, grades, and past experience. Your reviewer will also ask you "interview" like questions, such as "tell me something about yourself" or "why SOMA". Then, you will be interview by two member panel, and they will ask you fairly relaxed, personal questions. The interview is closed file, open essays. The questions vary from interviewer to interviewer, but they are generally about getting yo know you as a person, without looking at the number. So they can ask you like, "You put in your personal statement that you volunteered at so and so. How was your experience like?" The whole interview process is fairly painless, and they just want you to be yourself. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for the current SOMA students: For those who have already taken the board exam(s), is anyone trying to match for surgical residency? I know SOMA is geared strongly towards clinical practice, but I just want to know if surgery is if at all possible coming out of SOMA. If there is someone doing it, how did you go about making yourself a strong candidate? Thanks.

I just canceled my interview on the 15th if anyone wants to move up.

got put on the high waitlist.. :T heard they were planning on moving the wait list within this next month though so :xf:. anyone have any idea how full the class is?

what's the difference between being on hold, being an alternate, and wait list?

Im gonna be a DO! Im STOKED!

Listen people, dont lose hope. I did NOT have perfect statistics (GPA, MCAT) but I did have a positive attitude and good work experience. Dont give up hope. You can def do it as long as you want it bad enough.

A big shout to all of my future classmates! Class of 2014!

Question for the current SOMA students: For those who have already taken the board exam(s), is anyone trying to match for surgical residency? I know SOMA is geared strongly towards clinical practice, but I just want to know if surgery is if at all possible coming out of SOMA. If there is someone doing it, how did you go about making yourself a strong candidate? Thanks.

I am a current SOMA student, but haven't taken boards yet....but I figured I would chime in anyways. In our class there are quite a few planning on surgery, especially ortho. While this school is primary care oriented, I haven't felt that they pushed me into any one field. There is now a Surgery Club on campus and we have had lectures from surgeons in several fields, including Robotic Cardiovascular surgery. Also, we just got our suture tying boards and will be having suture clinics throughout the month. Our anatomy professor is an easily approachable surgeon and probably would be a great asset if you were leaning towards surgery.

Upperclassmen, residents, docs...MD and DO's all pretty much say the same thing about getting your residency. You need to do good on your boards, work hard during your rotations, get good letters, and if you can get some research in, great. It's like making yourself strong for med school applications. Just for those interested in AOA residency match stats for this year (from my esteemed associate Bruce) https://www.do-online.org/index.cfm?PageID=sir_match10res

Congrats to everyone who has gotten accepted and to those who haven't...don't get discouraged!

Thanks, Imonaplain! I'm pretty much set on going to ATSU, and I'm glad to hear that I can venture into variety of options!

ATSU SOMA Class of 2014!

Hey guys. I interviewed on 2/8 and just got accepted this past Monday, but I decided to go to AZCOM instead. So there is another seat available for some of you out there. Good luck to all of you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted Mid January, along with a few other schools. I really liked SOMA, so I decided to put down a deposit there. I've been offered several other interviews, but I have found myself turning them down, I'm very happy with SOMA, the Student Moral seems to be much higher than a lot of other schools, and I like the small class size and curriculum model.

-Jared
ATSU SOMA Class of 2014:)

Class of 2014...here I come!

I Was on the waitlist(High) and received an offer about 4 weeks ago. I asked for an extension to make my decision because I already accepted an offer at another school. So a) those on waitlist, there is hope in the process and
b) now a questions arose which i should have cleared before canceling my offer.

1. The forums definitely talk a lot about rotations, but how has it been for the 3-4 years to find rotations outside of the (network), and at locations where you may be interested in Matching with? I may be interested in doing something outside of primary care, and it seems that this system is not supportive.

got off the high waitlist yesterday!!! i think this is it.. still currently waiting to hear back from western (just cause it is soooo close to home) but i'm super excited just thinking about being apart of soma class of 2014!! :soexcited:

ok, so since getting the acceptance to atsu-soma, the only thing that is holding me back from being ecstatic about this experience is the cost. Can someone please provide me with some insight/options/comfort about spending this much money on my medical education?

It costs less than a lot of other schools... and about the same as most private school.

Also, cost of living in the area isn't too bad. Since your loan package will include money for living expenses, this could easily make up the difference between this school and another one.

ok, so since getting the acceptance to atsu-soma, the only thing that is holding me back from being ecstatic about this experience is the cost. Can someone please provide me with some insight/options/comfort about spending this much money on my medical education?

It is all a matter of individual taste. No matter where you go, if you are taking loans (vs scholarship military, national health service, local), the money will add up regardless. There are also a ton of loan repayment options after graduation. So it mainly comes down to where do you think you would be the most comfortable and learn the best. Cost of living cannot be counted on since after your first year you will no longer be in Mesa, AZ.

Are you guys waitlisted for an interview or for a spot at the school? I submitted my secondaries late (December) and am just starting to hear back from schools. It sounds like ATSU is pretty full, am I probably out of luck?

I submitted my secondary in January and was starting to lose hope when I received an interview invite yesterday. I am so excited! I am interviewing this Friday morning. Does anyone know how many seats are open in the class? I would LOVE to go here, but I've learned to not get my hopes up.

Hey all
I see a lot of fellow newly-accepted students!! YAY!!! SOMA class of 2014!
So, I am not from the Phoenix and am looking for a female roommate. I like a clean/calm apartment :)
PM or email me: [email protected]

Ok, so does anyone know how many seats are open?

Also, is there a thread on this site or elsewhere, that has feedback from current students doing their years 2-4 at the Community Campuses that can provide information on the different locations and their impressions, experiences, etc.?

Last edited:
thanks for the feedback re costs. i think i remember there being an online portal for accepted students for housing and roommate stuff; where do we get that login info and how do we access the portal? Thanks.

thanks for the feedback re costs. i think i remember there being an online portal for accepted students for housing and roommate stuff; where do we get that login info and how do we access the portal? Thanks.

A week or two after you submit your deposit you will get an email with the log in information for your email/portal. In the portal, if you click my tools, and then forums, there is the site you can post stuff on looking for roommates or apartments, furniture, etc.

Hey everyone! I found out today that I was placed on an alternate list. Have any of been accepted off this list? Or know the status of this year's (or last year's) alternate/waitlist movement?

I love SOMA and its my top choice! ANY information would be greatly appreciated!

Hey everyone! I found out today that I was placed on an alternate list. Have any of been accepted off this list? Or know the status of this year's (or last year's) alternate/waitlist movement?

I love SOMA and its my top choice! ANY information would be greatly appreciated!

hey! i was on the alternate list for a bit as well.

SOMA ranks their alternate list.

this is how i think it works: and as they interview, if the class isn't a certain percentage full by a certain time, they will pull people off that list in a certain order.

if you call or email someone at the admissions office, you can find out what category (high/med/low) you are in. they told us that they took 10 people off the alternate list before I interviewed. i think they took another group off recently.

there is def. hope! :) maybe you can write them a letter of intent if you are really set on going to soma? everyone at the admissions office is super nice and helpful!

Hey everyone. I just interviewed at soma on Monday. There is still plenty of hope. A little over half the class is full. Thought I'd share.

Hey everyone. I just interviewed at soma on Monday. There is still plenty of hope. A little over half the class is full. Thought I'd share.

Thanks for sharing! I haven't heard anything since I submitted my secondary!

Hmm, did they tell you that over half the class is full? I interviewed there last week and I believe I remember Joyce telling us that the class is about 93% full. Could you clarify where you got your information from?

I heard it from another person that did the file review with the director. Ill email admissions to clarify. I don't remember anyone saying 93%. I would have come away much more depressed than I did.

Hey everybody:

I've been kind of a lurker on this page for a while but I just got the call and was accepted this morning. I can't wait to meet others who are going to be in my class!
icon10.gif

Congrats drunine! When did you interview? How long do you have to pay the acceptance fee?

Congrats drunine! When did you interview? How long do you have to pay the acceptance fee?

I interviewed on 2/22/2010. I haven't received the whole acceptance packet yet, I got a phone call on Monday telling me that I was accepted. I'll post once I've got more info.

Hey everyone!

To clarify on how full the class is. . . I've also spoken to people in admissions that said that the class is pretty much full even though they're going to be interviewing until the end of March.

I have a question though, for those of you that have come off of the waitlist-do you hear back via mail/email or telephone call?

Congrats to those of you that have been accepted :)

Does anyone know how many interview days are left? I sent admissions a file update a couple of weeks ago and I'm getting anxious for a reply.

Does anyone know how many interview days are left? I sent admissions a file update a couple of weeks ago and I'm getting anxious for a reply.

About 6, maybe? Figure 20 people for each of those.

are there any students out there that can help me out - I shadowed a general surgeon and I really liked it. I was able to observe a surgery and I think this is what I want to do. Do you think it's possible to get this residency by going to atsu-soma?

are there any students out there that can help me out - I shadowed a general surgeon and I really liked it. I was able to observe a surgery and I think this is what I want to do. Do you think it's possible to get this residency by going to atsu-soma?

Hey, I remember hearing from the student ambassadors the day of my interview that you can specialize, given that there are specific rotations that you are going to need to complete to graduate (eg general surgery);however, I'm unsure if the curriculum or 2nd year clinical experience would be targeted towards exposing students to general surgery experience/material.

Hey, I remember hearing from the student ambassadors the day of my interview that you can specialize, given that there are specific rotations that you are going to need to complete to graduate (eg general surgery);however, I'm unsure if the curriculum or 2nd year clinical experience would be targeted towards exposing students to general surgery experience/material.

I actually have the official score reports of 3rd yr grades for fam med, surg, internal med, peds, OBGYN, etc. The average grade nationally on these exams are a 70. The schools avg is significantly lower than national average. Anyone who wants to specialize needs to do much better than the national avg in surgery to get surgery... clearly. Only about 10% of the class is doing 1 standard deviation above the national average, which is undeniably weak. This is actually supposed to be the schools strength, but its actually a big weakness. Email me if you want to see the schools results, this goes for students who don't have SDN too but are lurking.

Btw, the students will of course say you can specialize, because thats what the school told them on interview day. The truth of the matter is there is no graduating class to point to and say oh well x number of students actually did specialize. Once your in the school, they push primary care down your throat. I have actually seen instructors try to change students' minds who were deadset on specialties to go into primary care. Just remember, schools are trying to make themselves look good on interview day just like students are. They know students want to hear you can specialize, so they say it.

[email protected]

Hey everyone!

I interviewed at ATSU on March 1st and have to say that I absolutely LOVE the school! I'm anxiously awaiting to hear back from them and I know they said the admissions committee meets Wednesday and it's already been two Wednesdays since my interview date, so I was wondering if anyone else who interviewed that day has heard anything back yet?

Hey man, good to see you on here. I interviewed with you on March 1st. I haven't heard anything yet. They did tell us to wait 2-3 weeks but I'm also getting anxious. Definitely my top choice. I love this school.

Hey everyone!

I interviewed at ATSU on March 1st and have to say that I absolutely LOVE the school! I'm anxiously awaiting to hear back from them and I know they said the admissions committee meets Wednesday and it's already been two Wednesdays since my interview date, so I was wondering if anyone else who interviewed that day has heard anything back yet?

I interviewed on Feb. 26th and have not heard back yet. Hang in there!

I have until the 23rd to pay the first deposit of 1 grand. It's about 2 weeks to make one of the most important decisions of my life! ha ha

I actually have the official score reports of 3rd yr grades for fam med, surg, internal med, peds, OBGYN, etc. The average grade nationally on these exams are a 70. The schools avg is significantly lower than national average. Anyone who wants to specialize needs to do much better than the national avg in surgery to get surgery... clearly. Only about 10% of the class is doing 1 standard deviation above the national average, which is undeniably weak. This is actually supposed to be the schools strength, but its actually a big weakness. Email me if you want to see the schools results, this goes for students who don't have SDN too but are lurking.

Btw, the students will of course say you can specialize, because thats what the school told them on interview day. The truth of the matter is there is no graduating class to point to and say oh well x number of students actually did specialize. Once your in the school, they push primary care down your throat. I have actually seen instructors try to change students' minds who were deadset on specialties to go into primary care. Just remember, schools are trying to make themselves look good on interview day just like students are. They know students want to hear you can specialize, so they say it.

[email protected]

I'd like to see the numbers, but even then, I don't think it's a big shocker that a first year program is going to have lower than average numbers on the shelf exams.

It's no secret that the focus at SOMA IS primary care. I haven't had anyone "shove it down my throat," but you do spend your entire second year at Community Health Centers. When it comes to residency, choose the school that will help you become the best applicant. If you are "dead set" on specializing, and you like to do research, it would probably be a good idea to go to a school that does research in whatever field you're interested in specializing in. (ie, not SOMA). If research isn't your bag, but you feel that an exposure to primary care during year two would help you become a more well rounded applicant for specialties, then come to SOMA. YOU are the one that takes the tests, and YOU are the one applying to residencies. Wherever you go, do well there, and have a positive attitude, and you will be fine.

I'd like to see the numbers, but even then, I don't think it's a big shocker that a first year program is going to have lower than average numbers on the shelf exams.

If research isn't your bag, but you feel that an exposure to primary care during year two would help you become a more well rounded applicant for specialties, then come to SOMA.

Response to your first point:

You obviously don't understand the terminology, so you should hold your opinion until educated. Shelf exams are 2nd year exams, not 3rd year. The 2nd year (my class) are doing awfully and we thought we'd be fine because of how much the school criticized the 3rd yr class for being dumb and lazy in comparison to our class.

The 3rd years are taking the clinical exams (fam med, surg, peds, etc). This is the schools apparent forte. Those third years already have a year of clinical experience from ICE under their belt and yet they are performing several points below avg nationally. This school gives more clinical experience than any other DO school, so why is it that they are performing so poorly on the 3rd yr exams? The 3rd year rotation grades are the 2nd most important factor in residency primary care or not. The whole "it's the first class, what do you expect" line is weak. A medical school student is clearly intelligent regardless of if its the first class,2nd,or 3rd. Also the difference academically prior to entrance in med school isn't much between classes.

Response to your second point:

"If research isn't your bag...." Well if you looked up specialties, the residency directors actually highly value research in a specialty. So if its not an applicants "bag", it would be foolish to think its not the residency directors "bag". Also, residency directors put even more value in research done that involved a publication. So its not just doing the research but its the quality of the research and if any noise was made within the field. I'm not sure where the line of thought comes from where in order to specialize its better to have 1 yr of primary care experience (if you even want to call it that) to be more well rounded before going into specialty. As mentioned above, that 1 year ICE program is just you shadowing. The doctors are merely letting you watch in on what they do, they're not teaching, explaining, etc. The contract between CHC and the school is only for them to volunteer their time if they can in hopes that the in need CHC's can recruit future doctors.

Summary:

It's hard for a student to look back and say, man maybe this school wasn't as awesome as I thought it would be. Everyone wants to root and build up their home team, their town, their school, etc. It's important to be honest though because this site is about giving advice and experiences to other students looking for the right medical school for them. This is a tough and important decision. Much is at stake. Swallow your pride and be truthful. If you don't know what a shelf exam is, don't pretend you do. You don't need to phrase "If your dead set on specializing this may not be the school." Rather, if your unsure or feel you may change your mind (which many do, much like your college major), it may be best to look at a school that has shown it has better prepared its students for such placements.

Last edited:
Response to your first point:

You obviously don't understand the terminology, so you should hold your opinion until educated. Shelf exams are 2nd year exams, not 3rd year. The 2nd year (my class) are doing awfully and we thought we'd be fine because of how much the school criticized the 3rd yr class for being dumb and lazy in comparison to our class.

The 3rd years are taking the clinical exams (fam med, surg, peds, etc). This is the schools apparent forte. Those third years already have a year of clinical experience from ICE under their belt and yet they are performing several points below avg nationally. This school gives more clinical experience than any other DO school, so why is it that they are performing so poorly on the 3rd yr exams? The 3rd year rotation grades are the 2nd most important factor in residency primary care or not. The whole "it's the first class, what do you expect" line is weak. A medical school student is clearly intelligent regardless of if its the first class,2nd,or 3rd. Also the difference academically prior to entrance in med school isn't much between classes.

Response to your second point:

"If research isn't your bag...." Well if you looked up specialties, the residency directors actually highly value research in a specialty. So if its not an applicants "bag", it would be foolish to think its not the residency directors "bag". Also, residency directors put even more value in research done that involved a publication. So its not just doing the research but its the quality of the research and if any noise was made within the field. I'm not sure where the line of thought comes from where in order to specialize its better to have 1 yr of primary care experience (if you even want to call it that) to be more well rounded before going into specialty. As mentioned above, that 1 year ICE program is just you shadowing. The doctors are merely letting you watch in on what they do, they're not teaching, explaining, etc. The contract between CHC and the school is only for them to volunteer their time if they can in hopes that the in need CHC's can recruit future doctors.

Summary:

It's hard for a student to look back and say, man maybe this school wasn't as awesome as I thought it would be. Everyone wants to root and build up their home team, their town, their school, etc. It's important to be honest though because this site is about giving advice and experiences to other students looking for the right medical school for them. This is a tough and important decision. Much is at stake. Swallow your pride and be truthful. If you don't know what a shelf exam is, don't pretend you do. You don't need to phrase "If your dead set on specializing this may not be the school." Rather, if your unsure or feel you may change your mind (which many do, much like your college major), it may be best to look at a school that has shown it has better prepared its students for such placements.

I'm not sure if SOMA is having you take practice shelves during year 2, but shelf exams are definitely taken during years 3 and 4. The shelf exams are the "clinical exams" you're talking about. I'm not sure why there's a mis-communication on this, but on SDN and elsewhere, "shelf exam" = "clerkship exam" = "clinical exam."

Clinical Rotations (33 Viewing)
Discuss issues related to the MS-III and MS-IV years, including rotations and shelf exams.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=237939

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=671638

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=219761

Obviously, some programs value research more than others, which might value clinical evaluations more, and some would value the shelf exam scores the most. My point was that you have to brand yourself when applying to residency. I found the article below to be especially helpful when thinking about residency applications.

http://www.studentdoctor.net/2009/05/the-successful-match-interview-with-dr-marianne-green/

Anyway, joes, good luck with everything. I have to go study.

I just got a letter that I am an alternate. I don't remember ... does SOMA have multiple waitlists? What exactly is an alternate? Is that what they call everyone on their waitlist(s)? Just trying to gauge my chances. =)