This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopeful1234567

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the fortunate position of having to choose between attending BCM or WUSTL.
BCM pros:
-I received a scholarship at Baylor, which is already a super cheap school
-Closer to home
-It's in the Texas Medical Center
-Texas weather is more my style
-I'll potentially have classmates I knew in undergrad
-The students there when I interviewed seemed very chill and people I'd be friends with
-Both have high step 1 scores, but I think BCM may be a bit higher?

WUSTL pros:
-Top 10 ranking and name recognition
-smaller class size
-more elective options
-i've never lived out of state - moving to St. Louis would provide something "different"
-Low cost of living
-Students there when I interviewed mentioned that if you go to WUSTL you're almost guaranteed to match to Barnes-Jewish if you apply for IM
-Potentially more research opportunities?

Which would you choose?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you have an exact figure in the $$ difference. Also what is your projected debt from the two?

Also is WUSTL P/F?

I don't know yet if I'll receive financial aid from WUSTL, but their estimated total cost of attendance (cost of living + tuition and fees) is $79,000 per year.
With my scholarship, the total cost of attending BCM would be around $29,000 per year.
WUSTL and BCM are both now P/F the first two years (or year and a half at BCM).

Members don't see this ad :)
How big of an issue is money? I'm facing the same situation (full-tuition scholarship at Vandy vs no aid from Hopkins). I'm leaning toward Hopkins since 1) money is not a consideration for my family and 2) I like the atmosphere & people at Hopkins better. I'd put the issue of finance aside and focus on other factors such as the people you encountered and curriculum preference, etc.

Ask yourself the following questions:
  • Where will I be happier?
  • Which student body do I like more?
  • Which curriculum do I like more?
  • Which faculty seems more caring?
  • Which administration seems more responsive to student feedbacks?
Money is definitely an issue. I mean, I'll be taking out loans for either school I go to. I guess I"m just wondering if the extra debt I'll accrue going to WUSTL is worth whatever advantage (if any) I may get going there over BCM.

(Content redacted to preserve anonymity)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'd probably vote for an arbitrary debt cut off of 110k between the 2 schools before its no longer worth it to go to wUSTL for purely career reasons.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like this is a no brainer... Someone correct me if i'm wrong (didn't apply to Baylor or any TX schools) but isn't Baylor the best medical school in Texas and a top 20 to boot? You could save up to 200,000 dollars over the course of your education. I mean, lord, factoring in compounding loan interest throughout school and residency and the financial difference is astronomical. Literally hundreds of thousands of dollars. Best of luck to you and honestly either you can't go wrong. Good tough decision to have

I'm in the fortunate position of having to choose between attending BCM or WUSTL.
BCM pros:
-I received a scholarship at Baylor, which is already a super cheap school
-Closer to home
-It's in the Texas Medical Center
-Texas weather is more my style
-I'll potentially have classmates I knew in undergrad
-The students there when I interviewed seemed very chill and people I'd be friends with
-Both have high step 1 scores, but I think BCM may be a bit higher?

WUSTL pros:
-Top 10 ranking and name recognition
-smaller class size
-more elective options
-i've never lived out of state - moving to St. Louis would provide something "different"
-Low cost of living
-Students there when I interviewed mentioned that if you go to WUSTL you're almost guaranteed to match to Barnes-Jewish if you apply for IM
-Potentially more research opportunities?

Which would you choose?
Easy, Baylor.