Campbell University (CUSOM) DIscussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Howdy again, prospective medical students!

I'm going here for undergrad, so if you need any info about the area, just say so.

I must say, they're making quick work of building the facility. It already looks great and they're just starting to put plywood on the exterior walls.

They haven't mentioned anything about housing, though. I'd think if one was expanding an institution by 400 people in the near future, then they'd have a plan for a place to house them on campus, but I digress.

So, if you need any info about Buies Creek, just ask.

Howdy again, prospective medical students!

I'm going here for undergrad, so if you need any info about the area, just say so.

I must say, they're making quick work of building the facility. It already looks great and they're just starting to put plywood on the exterior walls.

They haven't mentioned anything about housing, though. I'd think if one was expanding an institution by 400 people in the near future, then they'd have a plan for a place to house them on campus, but I digress.

So, if you need any info about Buies Creek, just ask.

whats the area like, and do you enjoy the school?

whats the area like, and do you enjoy the school?

The area itself is pretty quiet. The campus is by 210, so if you needed to get somewhere, it's possible. Security is 24/7 by county police officers, and there's emergency boxes that directly connect you to officers. There's not much of a need for them, though. The worst thing that has happened here fairly recently was a guy who wasn't even a student was taking other people's laptops. They got him pretty quickly.

Parking passes are pretty cheap(160 bucks for the whole year) and there's a lot of spaces to park in. (I'm a commuter.)

The faculty I've talked to have been very nice and they seem to know their stuff. Counseling services are free here(albeit I've never used them, so I can't vouch to their quality), and you all will be able to use the weight room and whatnot. We have an aquatic center and a golf course, but you got to pay for admittance there.

If you're living in the dorms that we already have, you won't be disappointed. They're pleasant, nothing to write home about, but they do their function and they do it well. (Us undergrads have to pay ~4,000 dollars a semester for housing and the meal plan, it may be different for you guys).

The projected tuition is 39,500 for the year, or that was what a sophomore friend of mine told me.

Any other questions?

The area itself is pretty quiet. The campus is by 210, so if you needed to get somewhere, it's possible. Security is 24/7 by county police officers, and there's emergency boxes that directly connect you to officers. There's not much of a need for them, though. The worst thing that has happened here fairly recently was a guy who wasn't even a student was taking other people's laptops. They got him pretty quickly.

Parking passes are pretty cheap(160 bucks for the whole year) and there's a lot of spaces to park in. (I'm a commuter.)

The faculty I've talked to have been very nice and they seem to know their stuff. Counseling services are free here(albeit I've never used them, so I can't vouch to their quality), and you all will be able to use the weight room and whatnot. We have an aquatic center and a golf course, but you got to pay for admittance there.

If you're living in the dorms that we already have, you won't be disappointed. They're pleasant, nothing to write home about, but they do their function and they do it well. (Us undergrads have to pay ~4,000 dollars a semester for housing and the meal plan, it may be different for you guys).

The projected tuition is 39,500 for the year, or that was what a sophomore friend of mine told me.

Any other questions?

Is there much to do in Buies Creek? or do you usually go to surrounding cities for decent food and entertainment?

Is there much to do in Buies Creek? or do you usually go to surrounding cities for decent food and entertainment?

If you're involved with student groups, then yes. We have an organization called CAB that does a lot of travelling. This year, they've got a beach trip and a NFL game trip planned, among other things. We got Wal-Mart shuttles at night. Also, you could swing by Carter Weight Room and do Zumba, Self Defense, or Martial Arts sessions at no cost to you. Swimming and golfing are possibilities, but you have to pay for it.

We have a few different places that sell food here. Chick-Fil-A makes my day, but that's because I'm certifiably crazy about chicken.

If you're looking for something different, you could hop on the expressway and find what you're looking for. Lillington is like 5-10 minutes away, but bigger cities like Raleigh and Cary are a ways away.

Can I join your CAB club? That all sounds... Are the late night Wal-mart shuttles indicative of anything? I hope to check out the area sometime soon.

Can I join your CAB club? That all sounds... Are the late night Wal-mart shuttles indicative of anything? I hope to check out the area sometime soon.

Lol, the club's not mine, it stands for Campus Activity Board. You don't have to be in the club itself to go for a trip.

The shuttles are indicative that if you're looking for a huge keg party, you're not getting it. It's a quiet area where the people enjoy a good time as long as there's no drinking/smoking/sex.

The campus is pretty, but it's a sprawling plot of land. Get accustomed to walking. A lot.

Lol, the club's not mine, it stands for Campus Activity Board. You don't have to be in the club itself to go for a trip.

The shuttles are indicative that if you're looking for a huge keg party, you're not getting it. It's a quiet area where the people enjoy a good time as long as there's no drinking/smoking/sex.

The campus is pretty, but it's a sprawling plot of land. Get accustomed to walking. A lot.

at least 3 people just withdrew their applications

at least 3 people just withdrew their applications

LOL!

"Our faculty members have come from various institutions, Midwestern University, Duke University School of Medicine, VCOM , KCUMB, LECOM, PCOM and UNC School of Medicine to name a few."

Sounds pretty legit though...decisions decisions

Members don't see this ad :)
Any other questions? Hopefully I can answer them. =D

So drinking isn't allowed or just frowned upon? Not gonna throw down but I do enjoy drinking

If you live on campus, it's part of the agreement to not drink. That could be just for us undergrads, though, since we're under 21 anyway.

They may make something similar to this for you guys, however I'm unaware of anything. I do know that there's speculation that they'll do a drug test when they admit you. Speculation is all it is, as far as I know.

For those who received complete e-mails, how long between you submitting your secondary and receiving an e-mail that you're complete?

about a week... maybe a little less

How did you guys send in letters of rec?

"CUSOM welcomes additional letters of support or recommendation from those who are acquainted with the student's academic or professional ability. All letters of recommendation must be originals on professional or college/university letterhead, signed by the evaluator and mailed directly to the Office of Admissions"

I am utilizing my pre med advising office to handle my letters. Is that what most of you did as well? Did you use Virtual Evals or have the letters mailed to the school?
Is there any more info on th CUSOM website about letters that I might have missed?

they never sent me a complete email o_O. i did my secondary over a week ago...

How did you guys send in letters of rec?

"CUSOM welcomes additional letters of support or recommendation from those who are acquainted with the student's academic or professional ability. All letters of recommendation must be originals on professional or college/university letterhead, signed by the evaluator and mailed directly to the Office of Admissions"

I am utilizing my pre med advising office to handle my letters. Is that what most of you did as well? Did you use Virtual Evals or have the letters mailed to the school?
Is there any more info on th CUSOM website about letters that I might have missed?
Just send it VirtualEvals. As long as you listed all the letters on your secondary, they will look at only those ones. If your sending extra, make sure you let them know.

i sent 4 via interfolio- 2 science one md one do
As long as you put the same ones on your secondary, it should be okay. Remember they only download letters once a week. Depending on when you sent them I would send an email Monday.

Just send it VirtualEvals. As long as you listed all the letters on your secondary, they will look at only those ones. If your sending extra, make sure you let them know.

Thanks for your reply. So just to verify, VirtualEvals is fine?

Also there is only a spot on the secondary for you to list who the pre med committee letter and DO letter's are from....I will be sending those two letters plus a few more. The secondary says:

"You are welcome to submit additional letters of recommendation, above the two required letters listed above."

There is no place on the secondary to specifically state that you are mailing more letters. So you are saying if I just have my school send my letter packet through VirtualEvals (which including the two required letters and a few more) they will only read the two required letters?

Thanks for your reply. So just to verify, VirtualEvals is fine?

Also there is only a spot on the secondary for you to list who the pre med committee letter and DO letter's are from....I will be sending those two letters plus a few more. The secondary says:

"You are welcome to submit additional letters of recommendation, above the two required letters listed above."

There is no place on the secondary to specifically state that you are mailing more letters. So you are saying if I just have my school send my letter packet through VirtualEvals (which including the two required letters and a few more) they will only read the two required letters?
Yep, VirtualEvals work. They will only look at the ones that fit the requirements first. Additional ones will be looked at on a case by case basis. But, send them an email to let them know about the additional letters. State who the writers are and their relation to you. Professor, shadowed doc, etc.

Last edited:
Yep, VirtualEvals work. Just send an email to admissions formally stating to include your additional letters. Make sure to state who those letter writers are and what your relation is to them. Professor, shadowed doc, etc. Hope this clarifies.

Thanks Research! :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to meeting you all on August 20th! Woot!

Those who got interviews, mind sharing stats? Congrats!

Those who got interviews, mind sharing stats? Congrats!

I was complete on 7/23.... my stats are sGPA 3.93 cGPA 3.93 MCAT 7V 7P 10B to equal an underwhelming 24 lol I'm also kind of a non trad, I've worked as a Paramedic for a fire department and as a Suture Technitian in a Peds ED for the past 3 years through undergrad...so extremely excited for this interview!

WAAAHHHH!!!! I was so upset I didn't get a call. BUT THEN, I noticed my voice-mail blinking. Ms. Henderson left me a message yesterday!!! That'll teach me to check my voice-mail more often. Got to call her back womp.

the only email I got was that they received my secondary I never once gt a compelte email time for me to call monday lol..

Did people get an email saying they were complete besides this?

"Good Afternoon xxxxx,

I am confirming receipt of your Secondary Application. Your application will be complete after we receive your letters of recommendation and application fee. When complete we will carefully review your application and contact you afterward."

and this is 10 days old and i sent my letters when i sent out my secondary