CCOM vs DMU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chibucks15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey this may be in the wrong place but I was wondering what people would think in this scenario. I'm already accepted into DMU but have an II coming up for CCOM. Since it's coming down to the wire I want to have all my ducks in a row in the event I get in. Here's the backstory...I grew up right near CCOM and shadowed and worked with many of their graduates, having a letter from one. My family is all in the area including my gf, who's a teacher and will be coming with me in either choice. I'm very much intrigued by the opportunity of staying near home and my support system but I'm not sure if it's worth the 20k a year. I have an interest in internal medicine, maybe hospitalist or maybe EM.

CCOM
Pros:
support system nearby, ease of transition, possibility of living at home, all rotations nearby/in the city, reputation around Chicago, and the symptom based curriculum is interesting to me. I would ideally like to come back to Chicago.

Cons:
$$$

DMU
Pros:
Great feel from the school, systems in place to help out significant others and such, high match rates, prestigious research slots reserved (WHO), much cheaper, flipped classroom model at times I feel is a better approach.

Cons:
Rotations can be all over Iowa/Midwest, 5 hours away from home, takes a few hours to get anywhere of note outside the city, feeling like I may be out in rural Iowa not seeing the cases that will make me a better doctor.

I know this was long and I appreciate any input, I'd be happy in both places I feel like but it's a tough choice to make should I be fortunate enough to have it. Again I know I'm counting chickens before they hatch with a CCOM acceptance but given that it's right up against the final decision date I'll need to get the ball rolling right away post decision to ensure I get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Moving to School Specific discussions.

I vote CCOM. You're from the area, you will have an easier time making connections. There is a wealth of research opportunities in the Chicago regions through UIC, Northwestern, UChicago as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Moving to School Specific discussions.

I vote CCOM. You're from the area, you will have an easier time making connections. There is a wealth of research opportunities in the Chicago regions through UIC, Northwestern, UChicago as well.

Thanks for helping me find the right forum. My big decision is just that insane tuition difference. I know it's the nature of the beast but it's terrifying

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for helping me find the right forum. My big decision is just that insane tuition difference. I know it's the nature of the beast but it's terrifying

The tuition is rough. Are there ways you can save money by living with your family or what not? It can help in the long run.

The tuition is rough. Are there ways you can save money by living with your family or what not? It can help in the long run.

Personally I'm not 100% sure living at home will allow me the work environment I'll need. If I don't live at home I'll live with my girlfriend so that helps take some off the top of the cost but not a lot. I mean I guess as a pre-med there just isn't good info on when to bite the bullet and pay more

CCOM is tooooo expensive. It is the most expensive medical school in the country (not counting public school tuition for OOS students).
Go with DMU. Iowa is great.

Get the hell out of Chiraq and see the rest of the country.

Between college, family, and other things I've made my way around. I've seen a few posts on here about not discounting how nice it is to have your support system around for when the feces really hits the fan. Leaning DMU for multiple reasons (not to mention 20k worth) but don't know how other considerations would be valued from people who have gone through it

My vote is DMU.

The insane tuition difference would be enough for me. DMU is a respected program too.

Between college, family, and other things I've made my way around. I've seen a few posts on here about not discounting how nice it is to have your support system around for when the feces really hits the fan. Leaning DMU for multiple reasons (not to mention 20k worth) but don't know how other considerations would be valued from people who have gone through it

Your gf is your support system and she's coming w/ you. Your parents can visit you on the weekend if that's their desire. I'm originally from Chiraq. Not a fan of that place after having travelled through other parts of the US.

CCOM if you're able to live at home. I was in a similar situation (CCOM vs. much cheaper school) but I chose CCOM because I'm able to live at home for free and I couldn't pass up being able to stay with my family. Plus CCOM>DMU for clinical rotations. And I know people say not to look at match lists, but over half of students match in IL, which is where I want to stay as well.

But if you have to pay rent somewhere on top of tuition and other living expenses it may not be worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
CCOM if you're able to live at home. I was in a similar situation (CCOM vs. much cheaper school) but I chose CCOM because I'm able to live at home for free and I couldn't pass up being able to stay with my family. Plus CCOM>DMU for clinical rotations. And I know people say not to look at match lists, but over half of students match in IL, which is where I want to stay as well.

But if you have to pay rent somewhere on top of tuition and other living expenses it may not be worth it.

Agreed. Their rotation sites are pretty sick actually, at least in my opinion. And yes, you have a high chance of matching back in IL or at least the midwest area. Even if you can't or don't want to stay at home for personal reasons, you can find something affordable in dg or the surrounding suburbs. Yeah, tuition blows but you cut from other areas and it's possible to not screw yourself over. Living expenses suck that much more when you have to move. I'd go ccom easy, pending acceptance.

Picked CCOM over DMU 2 years ago and I have no regrets :) I loved DMU, and might have been happy there. Some aspects of their curriculum might be more updated than CCOM... though I think they have a zillion exams too. Anyway, I'm so grateful to have my family nearby for the wild ride that is medical school. Sometimes I suspect that I might have neared the brink of mental breakdown if not for my family being here, which is beyond worth the price difference to me. But only you can know what is the right fit. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Picked CCOM over DMU 2 years ago and I have no regrets :) I loved DMU, and might have been happy there. Some aspects of their curriculum might be more updated than CCOM... though I think they have a zillion exams too. Anyway, I'm so grateful to have my family nearby for the wild ride that is medical school. Sometimes I suspect that I might have neared the brink of mental breakdown if not for my family being here, which is beyond worth the price difference to me. But only you can know what is the right fit. Best of luck!

Also deep dish pizza!!!!!

I'm in the same situation, I'm leaning towards DMU though because the tuition and because it seems like they prep you for boards better.

Update: Waitlist at CCOM...with that uncertainty should that seal the deal?

Think about the debt. Student loans and debt are REAL. These are NOT imaginary numbers. CCOM is the most expensive medical school in the country (except out of state students at MSUCOM, which doesn't count). You will graduate CCOM with more than $350k in debt, if not more. Outcomes are generally the same. Both schools are about average when it comes to COMLEX performance. DMU is a very respected program nationally. The school was started by one of AT Still's closest partners. Every DO in the country knows DMU. They have awesome on-campus student involvement opportunities, like their multiple free-clinics, etc. They are also the only one of the "original 5" DO school that hasn't opened a branch campus (yet). They have a dedicated faculty and have had their clinical rotations for decades. It's an easy choice, in my opinion.

Think about the debt. Student loans and debt are REAL. These are NOT imaginary numbers. CCOM is the most expensive medical school in the country (except out of state students at MSUCOM, which doesn't count). You will graduate CCOM with more than $350k in debt, if not more. Outcomes are generally the same. Both schools are about average when it comes to COMLEX performance. DMU is a very respected program nationally. The school was started by one of AT Still's closest partners. Every DO in the country knows DMU. They have awesome on-campus student involvement opportunities, like their multiple free-clinics, etc. They are also the only one of the "original 5" DO school that hasn't opened a branch campus (yet). They have a dedicated faculty and have had their clinical rotations for decades. It's an easy choice, in my opinion.

Thanks! Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. I can't go wrong with it just the home factor with Chicago is what was holding me back. I appreciate everyone's input on it

I was in the exact same situation (from the Chicago area, letter from CCOM alumni, shadowed CCOM alumni, and ended up waitlisted after interviewing). If you really want to attend CCOM I highly recommend sending in a couple update letters indicting why you should be offered a seat in the class starting this fall. I chose CCOM over a similar school to DMU, and would do the same thing again.

Can you end up back in Illinois after school at DMU? Probably. Attending CCOM will ensure that happens. Every single rotation at CCOM will be an audition rotation, which is huge plus. The curriculum is what you make of it, and your board scores will depend on your effort and ability alone at any school you attend.

Quick Addition; Had a family friend who struggled with M1 and ended up dropping out of CCOM (Now Midwestern) after 1 year. Was over a hundred thousand dollars in debt. As a Chicago native, a Chicago area DO school is enticing, but I am not sure the high tuition is worth it.
Thoughts?