You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
CHOOSE YOUR OWWN II - Game Thread
Started by Animal Midwife
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Yeah I don’t think it’s anywhere near a strong point but I do think it is a small thing to consider. My jimmies are just rustled by some boy saying I have a poor understanding of probability bc I’m conceited honestly
>>some boy.
Well , thanks I guess
Not meant to be an insult to you sorry, I’ve just had to defend my mathematical ability to boys, especially when I’m literally their stats TA, too many times for it not to be an automatic sore spot>>some boy.
Well , thanks I guess
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m completely confused by how people are saying we selected our positions and how Chaos is trying to gather info. I do t want to drag this out, but it’s early enough that I would like to understand what they’re trying to say as some statements seem to be contradictory.
Idk if I agree with this, at least with Chaos and Please.So I'm eyeballing those who discarded scum roles harder
Strongman and Ninja are very powerful roles for a scum faction to have.
Could they have gotten something even better? Sure it’s possible. It just seems more likely that they’d pick village roles than they got even better scum roles.
Especially when you break down the dual selection consideration.
Assuming they picked scum, then their other two roles would have to include a PR that’s even better for scum than these, and include another scum affiliation for the affiliation choice.
Seems like a lot to bank on when the more likely answer is just that they picked village roles.
I’m completely confused by how people are saying we selected our positions and how Chaos is trying to gather info. I do t want to drag this out, but it’s early enough that I would like to understand what they’re trying to say as some statements seem to be contradictory.
I'm confused too, but that's nothing new
I get that, which is partly why I think it’s a weak village point (the other being the WIFOM argument, although I don’t think it would be worth it for scum to reject a strong scum role in favour of a weaker one just for the WIfOM, precisely because discard analysis is weak and no one’s going to give them many village points for what they discard). But there are going to be more circumstances in which ninja or strongman is the best role if you’re scum than if you’re village, so I still see it as a very small village point to discard it.The factor you are missing is that the other option is totally independent of the discarded role. So a persons discard gives you 0 info unless you also know his role.
supershorty
Don't look so vexed, toots.
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
So we all got 3 roles, right, and you had to discard 1, use 1 for alignment, and then use 1 for ability.I’m completely confused by how people are saying we selected our positions and how Chaos is trying to gather info. I do t want to drag this out, but it’s early enough that I would like to understand what they’re trying to say as some statements seem to be contradictory.
So say for example (PURELY AN EXAMPLE, THIS IS NOT A CLAIM), I got vanilla town, town vig, and hirsute town. I’d submit something like “discard hirsute town, use vanilla town for aff, use town vig for ability.” Or something similar. With the end result being that I was a town-aligned vig.
At least that’s how I approached it and I ended up with the aff/ability I intended.
My alignment role was Persona Non Grata, which is a role I still don't understand but it seemed really bad 

Not meant to be an insult to you sorry, I’ve just had to defend my mathematical ability to boys, especially when I’m literally their stats TA, too many times for it not to be an automatic sore spot
Well , you can try and plug the numbers into the conditional probability formula if you want , but I dont think you would get something useful
What are you confused about?I’m completely confused by how people are saying we selected our positions and how Chaos is trying to gather info. I do t want to drag this out, but it’s early enough that I would like to understand what they’re trying to say as some statements seem to be contradictory.
I get that, which is partly why I think it’s a weak village point (the other being the WIFOM argument, although I don’t think it would be worth it for scum to reject a strong scum role in favour of a weaker one just for the WIfOM, precisely because discard analysis is weak and no one’s going to give them many village points for what they discard). But there are going to be more circumstances in which ninja or strongman is the best role if you’re scum than if you’re village, so I still see it as a very small village point to discard it.
Even assuming everyone was completely cognizant about how the game works and were picking their roles/alignments optimally (This is a huge assumption btw , I am pretty sure that some people have definitely not done that) . There are stronger scum roles than Ninja or Strongman (subjectively that is. And Subjectivity is another factor that makes this analysis innacurate).
Think of Mafia Psychotrooper or Werewolf Jailkeeper or something
My alignment role was Persona Non Grata, which is a role I still don't understand but it seemed really bad![]()
Its a role that makes a 3p role win when voted out
My alignment came from Town Godfather, You will investigate as "Not Mafia" to Cops.
Cray claims Town Godfather aligned. There is only one Town Godfather in the rolelist.
Which means only one of us can get Town Godfather as an option.
Which means Cray is either town or is taking bit of a risk as scum by fakeclaiming an alignment she didnt actually get as her option.
(For people who are confused about how this info could be useful)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Stronger roles do exist but I think in Pleasy’s case at least, she very much prefers town to scum, so I’m more inclined to read her discarding a powerful scum role as a move that she likely chose village.Even assuming everyone was completely cognizant about how the game works and were picking their roles/alignments optimally (This is a huge assumption btw , I am pretty sure that some people have definitely not done that) . There are stronger scum roles than Ninja or Strongman (subjectively that is. And Subjectivity is another factor that makes this analysis innacurate).
Think of Mafia Psychotrooper or Werewolf Jailkeeper or something
I can’t speak to chaos’s subjectivity or preferences.
Haha yes I would... Interestingly enough I legit passed out and was randed my role. I would've been much happier as a wereparrot, it sounded badass but they rerolledWell coop would definitely choose scum given the option but I don't feel like voting for her d1 😉 time to read through
Oh dear god I can't even understand this. Is this english?I will ofc be voting the first person to attempt a discard meta read.
This is at best , a poor understanding of probability and at worst , scum going after the low - hanging fruit.
Vote Viscernable
So , as many of you may not have played greatest idea before,
It is customary to claim alignments at the start of the game , helps us with some easy early town leanings and possible scum-slips.
On that note , I hard claim vigilante - aligned.
(Claim your alignment and NOT YOUR ROLE. DEFINETELY NOT THE ROLE )
Then you would've chosen it twice, one for alignment and one for ability. Are you claiming you got it all three times?Who says I didn't get vanilla townie twice? Fishing?
In general I'm going to think people who discarded a town role did so because they have another town role to draw alignment from. So I'm eyeballing those who discarded scum roles harder, because while they may have discarded a scum role for town roles, they also may not have had the choice to be town and had all scum to pick from. Main issue with this thinking has to do with in what cases did someone favor scum over town.
Or because they only had town roles to pick from. Just as youre pointing out some people may have only had scum to pick from. I dont remember this much emphasis being placed on discard roles so soon in the game in CYO I. Seems strange that the first thing Chaos wants to do is start revealing.
I’m completely confused by how people are saying we selected our positions and how Chaos is trying to gather info. I do t want to drag this out, but it’s early enough that I would like to understand what they’re trying to say as some statements seem to be contradictory.
I'm confused too, but that's nothing new
Alright at least im not the only one.
I am also confused but I think that's because I legit don't know how I got the role I gotAlright at least im not the only one.

… I’m confused what everyone’s confused about, if that counts? 

supershorty
Don't look so vexed, toots.
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
I didn’t play CYO I, so I have nothing to compare to, and I agree that it feels really early, but I guess I don’t really see the harm in how he approached it, either.Or because they only had town roles to pick from. Just as youre pointing out some people may have only had scum to pick from. I dont remember this much emphasis being placed on discard roles so soon in the game in CYO I. Seems strange that the first thing Chaos wants to do is start revealing.
Although in a game this size, everyone who hasn’t already claimed would be able to claim vanilla town and there really wouldn’t be a way to disprove that based on numbers (12 available vanilla town according to the mafiascum wiki, and only 14 of us in the game). But I also don’t see how it would benefit him, if he were scum, to take the approach he did. It feels to me more like something that sets up catching scum slips later, rather than a scum action.
Cray claims Town Godfather aligned. There is only one Town Godfather in the rolelist.
Which means only one of us can get Town Godfather as an option.
Which means Cray is either town or is taking bit of a risk as scum by fakeclaiming an alignment she didnt actually get as her option.
(For people who are confused about how this info could be useful)
Why can only one person get Town Godfather as an option? There is only one of everything is the role list. If you got that as an option, you couldnt actually be a Town Godfather, you could only pick the affiliation or the ability.
supershorty
Don't look so vexed, toots.
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
There are multiples for some, like vanilla town. The wiki list has the number of each role available. Presumably only 1 person can get Town Godfather as an option at all because otherwise you could end up with a situation where multiple people picked that ability.Why can only one person get Town Godfather as an option? There is only one of everything is the role list. If you got that as an option, you couldnt actually be a Town Godfather, you could only pick the affiliation or the ability.
supershorty
Don't look so vexed, toots.
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
This is the first time I’ve played a CYO game though, so if I’m interpreting the wiki list wrong, please correct me.
Cray claims Town Godfather aligned. There is only one Town Godfather in the rolelist.
Which means only one of us can get Town Godfather as an option.
Which means Cray is either town or is taking bit of a risk as scum by fakeclaiming an alignment she didnt actually get as her option.
(For people who are confused about how this info could be useful)
Okay I think I get it now
Or because they only had town roles to pick from. Just as youre pointing out some people may have only had scum to pick from. I dont remember this much emphasis being placed on discard roles so soon in the game in CYO I. Seems strange that the first thing Chaos wants to do is start revealing.
it's not really revealing though is it? It's revealing a role you didn't pick, which doesn't seem super helpful for scum, but could potentially be helpful for town
Ok, now I see what he means by only one of them can be in the game, ie there can be 12 vanilla townie, but again, randing the option of Town Godfather eliminates the possibility of you actually being that exact role, so why wouldnt it be possible to be offered to more than one player? Because someone could still pick the Godfather part and match it with different scum affiliations.
supershorty
Don't look so vexed, toots.
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
No, it doesn’t. You could easily be that exact role if one of your other rolls was anything town.Ok, now I see what he means by only one of them can be in the game, ie there can be 12 vanilla townie, but again, randing the option of Town Godfather eliminates the possibility of you actually being that exact role, so why wouldnt it be possible to be offered to more than one player? Because someone could still pick the Godfather part and match it with different scum affiliations.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone i got 3 braincells and they're working rEALLY hard
so i get which role that we're talking about (thank you shortys explanation)
but I dont super understand why we're putting it on the thread. it just creates another discard list right?
and no one would be like "oh yeah I used wolf ultramurderer for my affiliation"
so like.. for why?
so i get which role that we're talking about (thank you shortys explanation)
but I dont super understand why we're putting it on the thread. it just creates another discard list right?
and no one would be like "oh yeah I used wolf ultramurderer for my affiliation"
so like.. for why?
Limits the pool for fakeclaims - in more than one way. If someone rolled something that there is only one roll for, that means no one else did. If they claim it as the role they chose affiliation from, someone else claims they rolled it, then one of them has been caught lying.Hi everyone i got 3 braincells and they're working rEALLY hard
so i get which role that we're talking about (thank you shortys explanation)
but I dont super understand why we're putting it on the thread. it just creates another discard list right?
and no one would be like "oh yeah I used wolf ultramurderer for my affiliation"
so like.. for why?
gotchya. that make senseLimits the pool for fakeclaims - in more than one way. If someone rolled something that there is only one roll for, that means no one else did. If they claim it as the role they chose affiliation from, someone else claims they rolled it, then one of them has been caught lying.
i used town doctor for my affiliation 🙂
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
I'm confused about your confusion regarding everyone else's confusion… I’m confused what everyone’s confused about, if that counts?![]()
My understanding was each card (1 through 146 or 155 depending on whether replicant cards were used) can only be rolled once, but then again maybe I’m wrong. @Animal Midwife @Dr. ForgotToFlush @kaydubs is that right?Why can only one person get Town Godfather as an option?
supershorty
Don't look so vexed, toots.
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
This was my understanding too.My understanding was each card (1 through 146 or 155 depending on whether replicant cards were used) can only be rolled once, but then again maybe I’m wrong. @Animal Midwife @Dr. ForgotToFlush @kaydubs is that right?
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
That should be the case based on the previous CYO game
that is correct yes
(replicants were not used)
i'm not sure what replicants mean in this case.
Sunny discarded town conspiracy, factually (from the discard list)
but then visc claimed that town conspiracy was used for alignment
which is fine bc the wiki page says that's roles 66-68 (3 possible)
but no replicates means only 1 of those was used? so is visc lying? or am i not understanding what replicates means
Sunny discarded town conspiracy, factually (from the discard list)
but then visc claimed that town conspiracy was used for alignment
which is fine bc the wiki page says that's roles 66-68 (3 possible)
but no replicates means only 1 of those was used? so is visc lying? or am i not understanding what replicates means
Replicants are like a DLC list for the setup
They're an extra scum faction that probably would have made the setup harder to balance
Functionally they work the same as Mafia/Werewolves do
They're an extra scum faction that probably would have made the setup harder to balance
Functionally they work the same as Mafia/Werewolves do
ah haReplicants are like a DLC list for the setup
They're an extra scum faction that probably would have made the setup harder to balance
Functionally they work the same as Mafia/Werewolves do
i am stupid
disregard my previous statement lol
You pick a role for your abilities and another role for your alignment.
I am talking about the role that you pick for your alignment.
Btw , my alignment is Town Vigilante. (saying this coz there are multiple kinds of Vigilantes in the rolelist)
Ok...but the first thing he did was "hard claim vig-aligned." Thats not the affiliation, as Stagg pointed out. This is why Im confused. He follows that up with "btw im town also." So he's already basically given his full on role.
So at first I was also hella confused what he was asking us to share. But I think I understand it now.The way this works is , you can see that there is only one Vigilante in the rolelist here : Greater Idea Mafia/RolePMs - MafiaWiki
(You can see the range next to the role , there are 12 VTs , 2 Cops , 2 Trackers and 1 Roleblocker , for instance.
So now that Ive claimed Vigilante aligned , If any of you had either discarded Vigilante or picked Vigilante as role or alignment , that would mean I have been a dirty liar and must be punished immediately (Since there is only one Vig possible)
I’m jealous! You know how much I wanted to be a mason.I used town mason for my alignment.
Do *any* of us know Stagg that well? I got the same vibe as Vis that he would pick scum roles, but he sounds legit when he said he had no idea how to properly choose his role.Decent logic but do you really know Stagg that well? This feels like an overstatement.
*in before she says @supershorty ’s tone is off*Dubz' opening post without an emoji.... sketch lol
Cray did *just* win as a wolf. I could see her wanting to avoid scum roles, but I do find it a bit odd she discarded vanilla townie. Honestly just makes me assume she probably chose a village PR instead.Um, what statements? About how bummed I was the roll with vanilla townie didn't stick?
How does discarding vanilla townie make me scum? If anything, you all should realize there's no way I discarded vanilla townie to be scum. So think again.
Thank you shorty for explaining chaos’ post in a way that makes sense. I used the vanilla townie as my affiliation.So we all got 3 roles, right, and you had to discard 1, use 1 for alignment, and then use 1 for ability.
So say for example (PURELY AN EXAMPLE, THIS IS NOT A CLAIM), I got vanilla town, town vig, and hirsute town. I’d submit something like “discard hirsute town, use vanilla town for aff, use town vig for ability.” Or something similar. With the end result being that I was a town-aligned vig.
At least that’s how I approached it and I ended up with the aff/ability I intended.
So somebody could get the mafia godfather role and a town role, and use them together to make themselves a town godfather. But only ONE person can be assigned the town godfather role. Does that make sense?Why can only one person get Town Godfather as an option? There is only one of everything is the role list. If you got that as an option, you couldnt actually be a Town Godfather, you could only pick the affiliation or the ability.
I have no idea why, but it cracked me up imagining someone saying with full confidence “oh yeah, I picked wolf ultramurderer for my affiliation”Hi everyone i got 3 braincells and they're working rEALLY hard
so i get which role that we're talking about (thank you shortys explanation)
but I dont super understand why we're putting it on the thread. it just creates another discard list right?
and no one would be like "oh yeah I used wolf ultramurderer for my affiliation"
so like.. for why?

I think he’s just saying that he used the town vig role for his affiliation and used a different role for his ability.Ok...but the first thing he did was "hard claim vig-aligned." Thats not the affiliation, as Stagg pointed out. This is why Im confused. He follows that up with "btw im town also." So he's already basically given his full on role.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i thought that too at firstOk...but the first thing he did was "hard claim vig-aligned." Thats not the affiliation, as Stagg pointed out. This is why Im confused. He follows that up with "btw im town also." So he's already basically given his full on role.
but what he's given is just his affiliation, and the ability he essentially discarded
we know he is a town ______ but most likely (unless he got it twice) not a town vig
I think he’s just saying that he used the town vig role for his affiliation and used a different role for his ability.
No, because he never mentioned town the first post. He only said vig-aligned. Were we supposed to just ASSUME he's town? Then he followed up with actual affiliation. Still doesnt make sense to me.
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Well, he is my archnemesisDo *any* of us know Stagg that well? I got the same vibe as Vis that he would pick scum roles, but he sounds legit when he said he had no idea

The way this works is , you can see that there is only one Vigilante in the rolelist here : Greater Idea Mafia/RolePMs - MafiaWiki
(You can see the range next to the role , there are 12 VTs , 2 Cops , 2 Trackers and 1 Roleblocker , for instance.
So now that Ive claimed Vigilante aligned , If any of you had either discarded Vigilante or picked Vigilante as role or alignment , that would mean I have been a dirty liar and must be punished immediately (Since there is only one Vig possible)
You pick a role for your abilities and another role for your alignment.
I am talking about the role that you pick for your alignment.
Btw , my alignment is Town Vigilante. (saying this coz there are multiple kinds of Vigilantes in the rolelist)
Here they are in succession.
I thought they work the same as aliensReplicants are like a DLC list for the setup
They're an extra scum faction that probably would have made the setup harder to balance
Functionally they work the same as Mafia/Werewolves do
edit: lol read the wiki wrong, they definitely work the same as mafia/ww
Similar threads
- Replies
- 6K
- Views
- 158K