Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ugh horse feet exam tomorrow. Why

Horse feet were terrible...until we had to learn the vessels/nerves of cow feet and then I would have done anything for the sweet release of a horse leg. All that axial and abaxial crap omg

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
All of September, October, and some of November is a black hole in my memory. Literally remember nothing from Immuno, Pharm, Gen Path, Genetics, or Toxicology. So I'll join you on the lack of knowledge of immuno!

Reactions: 1 users
I actually really enjoy infectious disease/immunology. I will take those over derm as well.

I'm keeping my amphibians though.
Keep your amphibians! But I'd happily do dermatologist again over this crap. This is historically when all the second years give up caring, stop going to class and the class average finally drops. I doubt that'll be the case for our crazy class though.

Keep your amphibians! But I'd happily do dermatologist again over this crap. This is historically when all the second years give up caring, stop going to class and the class average finally drops. I doubt that'll be the case for our crazy class though.
Yes let's switch. Some parts of derm are interesting but all the pyoderma things that look identical? Nah.

What stuff are you covering now?

To bring back the cold conversation, yesterday we set a new daily record for Feb 6. -45F before windchill, -62F after windchill....

Questioning the life decisions that led me to live here lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a confession to make

l really like Yersinia pestis.

Like, the plague is really cool and I get really excited every time we talk about the plague. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
I had a D&D character named Yersinia after this bacterium
Apparently there was a super recent outbreak in LA like last week. At the LA city hall- my lab animal professor was pulling up an article about it before class, and they were discussing fleas on rats and I was like “wait is that the plague? Yersinia pestis???” “Haha it is.” “Niceeee”

“Hahahaha... You know, most people don’t have that response to the plague, but I’m glad you do!”

Reactions: 2 users
Apparently there was a super recent outbreak in LA like last week. At the LA city hall- my lab animal professor was pulling up an article about it before class, and they were discussing fleas on rats and I was like “wait is that the plague? Yersinia pestis???” “Haha it is.” “Niceeee”

“Hahahaha... You know, most people don’t have that response to the plague, but I’m glad you do!”
I think a lot of genus names from things in bacteriology/mycology would make great creepy woman's names

Yersinia
Candida
Escherichia
Shigella
Neisseria
Legionella
Listeria
Francisella

Reactions: 4 users
I think a lot of genus names from things in bacteriology/mycology would make great creepy woman's names

Yersinia
Candida
Escherichia
Shigella
Neisseria
Legionella
Listeria
Francisella
Oooh writing someone these down for future dogs.

Cytosine, guanine, uracil, and thymine don’t have cute abbreviations.

I’ve always wanted a pet named Ubiquitome, but yeah

Yersinia
Candida
Escherichia
Shigella
Neisseria
Legionella
Listeria
Francisella
I was actually just thinking about this the other week. I mean...if I name my kid after bacteria or even a generic antibacterial or any pharmaceutical really and stay only around non-medical people I think I could get away with it. Maybe even get some complements on how beautiful and unique the name is.

Little do they know. Mwahaha

Reactions: 3 users
I was actually just thinking about this the other week. I mean...if I name my kid after bacteria or even a generic antibacterial or any pharmaceutical really and stay only around non-medical people I think I could get away with it. Maybe even get some complements on how beautiful and unique the name is.

Little do they know. Mwahaha
I can see it now, you’re running around the park

“Fluoroquinolone! Get back here!” Polymyxin, stop hitting tetracycline! No no no, Cefpodoxime, stop eating dirt!” :laugh:

And the look their pediatrician would give you would be priceless.

Oh my dog, I just looked outside and it's snowing -_-

51863869_2655566654505757_8086503058416074752_n.jpg

this is how I feel about me on my vet school application vs me now

Reactions: 7 users
Did anyone ever watch the movie Holes? With Shia LaBeouf?

Well there’s a this scene where the antagonist talks about the fact that her grandpa made her dig every day, even on Christmas and it’s followed by this clip:

And I feel like that’s me & my brain vs vet school this semester trying to study:

We studied every day, even on Christmas.

Me: “I’m tired of this, vet school!”
Vet school: “Well that’s too damn bad! You keep studying... You’ll thank me one day.”

Yersinia
Candida
Escherichia
Shigella
Neisseria
Legionella
Listeria
Francisella
I had a running joke with my friend during bacT that she needed to name her future children after all the -ella bacteria (Morgan Ella, Taylor Ella, etc.) It gets weird when you get into things like Salmon Ella and Bordet Ella. :laugh:

Yersinia
Candida
Escherichia
Shigella
Neisseria
Legionella
Listeria
Francisella

I wonder if I could get away with naming a litter of puppies after bacteria and fungi... :thinking:

Nah. Probably not.

This was on the second page. For shame.

I have an anesthesiology exam tomorrow, a public health/ food safety exam Friday, and pharmacology on Monday. I am very tired and very scared.

But I was looking at my class year thread and I saw this post, and it slightly rejuvenated my spirits.
EMAILS. CHECK YOUR EMAILS! I GOT ACCEPTED

I am still very tired and very scared, but slightly less so.

Be the you that the pre-vet version of you would be proud of.

Reactions: 5 users
This was on the second page. For shame.

I have an anesthesiology exam tomorrow, a public health/ food safety exam Friday, and pharmacology on Monday. I am very tired and very scared.

But I was looking at my class year thread and I saw this post, and it slightly rejuvenated my spirits.

I am still very tired and very scared, but slightly less so.

Be the you that the pre-vet version of you would be proud of.

A facebook memories post reminded me earlier this week that I worked really hard to be where I am now. Lots going on, so it was a good reminder. I can’t believe how fast the last two years have gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I have a very large exam on Friday. In cases such as these there is nearly always something very time consuming scheduled right before it. Today it was a mini-rotation in internal medicine. Mini-rotations can be fun and extremely valuable. I find it hard to concentrate on that when there's a giant test looming. I truely don't understand why they schedule things the way they do. There are plenty of other non-awful weeks they can choose from, next week for example. The other half of the class has it two days before the cumulative final exam.

Another issue from today's escapades: we were expressly told to stay for evening treatments. It makes the day really long but they thought it would be good for us. One second-year decided they were done two and a half hours early. WTF dude? The rest of us have to be here!

My OSCE and milestone exams are in a week and a half and two weeks respectively. Have I done anything for them? Absolutely not. I'm not worried about milestone, but they fail OSCE stations for the dumbest reasons. -_-

Everyone and their mother keeps posting these gimmicky videos on our class facebook page that they claim to have gotten from a {insert medical professional here} friend and are supposed to make cardiology easier to understand...

...and after watching all of them, I am infinitely more confused than I was before.

The last one was literally people in white doctor coats (so you know they are legit) silently jumping up and down and waving their arms to demonstrate abnormal heart rhythms.

????

Everyone and their mother keeps posting these gimmicky videos on our class facebook page that they claim to have gotten from a {insert medical professional here} friend and are supposed to make cardiology easier to understand...

...and after watching all of them, I am infinitely more confused than I was before.

The last one was literally people in white doctor coats (so you know they are legit) silently jumping up and down and waving their arms to demonstrate abnormal heart rhythms.

????
I don't know why, but mysteriously sourced unhelpful physiology videos sounds like it could be an SCP entry

????

There is so much bad info out there. You wouldn't believe how plain WRONG some of the student-made "help materials" can be. Stick with published stuff and/or videos from reputable sources.

????
But those videos are hilarious! Though the ones set to music are the best

Went to vet prom last night. My body regrets my life choices.

Pharmacology exam is tomorrow and did I spend the weekend studying like I promised myself I would? nope.

Slept in until 11 today and still ended up taking an hour-long nap

I spent it on SDN, reddit, facebook, and snapchat.

Pharmacology exam is tomorrow and did I spend the weekend studying like I promised myself I would? nope.

Slept in until 11 today and still ended up taking an hour-long nap

I spent it on SDN, reddit, facebook, and snapchat.
Glad I wasn’t the only one. I didn’t do anything remotely resembling studying until Sunday afternoon. Whoops. :laugh:

Getting another email about being "behind" in a self-paced class that I'm not even actually behind in anymore has put me in a mildly grumpy mood for the morning.

Third test of the week coming up in an hour doesn't help much either. :yeahright:

I’m in a complaining mood (not like that’s unusual;)).

But just curious as to why, after making several random statements about our mental health and QOL as students being important to them, they take away all 1 PM exams and make every single exam start at 8 AM. 50 minutes isn’t enough for majority of classes, so start times are usually at 7:30 AM.

Apparently this was done in an effort to prevent students from skipping class in the morning (which I admit to being guilty of). But I feel like that should be up to student discretion rather than forcing our hand and making the anti-morning people and night owl studiers extra miserable. :lame:

(Summary: I’m an avid sleep advocate and mornings shouldn’t exist.)

But just curious as to why, after making several random statements about our mental health and QOL as students being important to them, they take away all 1 PM exams and make every single exam start at 8 AM. 50 minutes isn’t enough for majority of classes, so start times are usually at 7:30 AM.

Apparently this was done in an effort to prevent students from skipping class in the morning (which I admit to being guilty of). But I feel like that should be up to student discretion rather than forcing our hand and making the anti-morning people and night owl studiers extra miserable. :lame:

I’m a night owl studier, so I’m super miserable come test day, but I honestly do prefer sitting like a zombie through my classes after an exam than skipping them/ not paying attention to the classes later. But that’s just me. I don’t think there’s any satisfying everyone.

I would leave classes to sleep anyway. Like, good luck with that y'all. I haven't slept yet. Byeeeee

I also missed the "ALL EXAMS ARE AT 8AM NO MATTER WHAT TIME THE CLASS IS" for that semester and, uh - almost missed the whole first exam. It was not my proudest moment.

I would leave classes to sleep anyway. Like, good luck with that y'all. I haven't slept yet

I also missed the "ALL EXAMS ARE AT 8AM NO MATTER WHAT TIME THE CLASS IS" for that semester and, uh - almost missed the whole first exam. It was not my proudest moment.
So tempted to start doing that. After my brain dumps the info on the exam it completely flatlines and I end up staring at the wall the whole time. Last time someone was doodling in front of me, and my brain was so fascinated and all I could think was “oooooooh...prettyyyyy” and heard nothing the lecturers said.

At least that was an “almost” and not “completely”. I can only imagine the panic.:eek:

There's no good way to do it ;) we've had 8am exams forever. This semester we have some 1pm ones. I don't want to take an exam at 1pm. It ruins my whole day. I am 100% a night owl and still would rather get my studying in, get a bit of sleep, go take the exam, take a nap in my car if I need to, then get on with my day.

It doesn't make much of a difference though. Almost nobody is in class before an exam whether it's the afternoon classes the day before an 8am or the morning classes the day of a 1pm. Almost nobody is in class afterwards either.