Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
*preps the kettle for a pot of tea at midnight*

I'm in for a long night, y'all. Send me your brains for my hemolymph exam tomorrow. It's a third small animal surgery (got it), a third equine... something, and a third cows.

I need your brains. I have no idea what's happening.

I do not like pon pons

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
*preps the kettle for a pot of tea at midnight*

I'm in for a long night, y'all. Send me your brains for my hemolymph exam tomorrow. It's a third small animal surgery (got it), a third equine... something, and a third cows.

I need your brains. I have no idea what's happening.

I do not like pon pons
Good luck! I have my pon pon medicine exam on Monday

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck! I have my pon pon medicine exam on Monday
good luck!!! I have a shelter med exam on Tuesday and I'm pretty sure I can do well if I keep the "if it's expensive/ difficult to treat/ zoonotic/contagious, euthanize" mantra... o_O

I get that that's how shelter med works, but yikes, more snaps for the shelter med vets!

Members don't see this ad :)
good luck!!! I have a shelter med exam on Tuesday and I'm pretty sure I can do well if I keep the "if it's expensive/ difficult to treat/ zoonotic/contagious, euthanize" mantra... o_O

I get that that's how shelter med works, but yikes, more snaps for the shelter med vets!
Hey now, we also use the time honored approaches of isolation and/or
2uxnhe.jpg

(Which is to say transferring animals to other shelters with better means to treat or control their problems :p)

There's no good way to do it ;) we've had 8am exams forever. This semester we have some 1pm ones. I don't want to take an exam at 1pm. It ruins my whole day. I am 100% a night owl and still would rather get my studying in, get a bit of sleep, go take the exam, take a nap in my car if I need to, then get on with my day.

It doesn't make much of a difference though. Almost nobody is in class before an exam whether it's the afternoon classes the day before an 8am or the morning classes the day of a 1pm. Almost nobody is in class afterwards either.
We could just get rid of exams altogether...? :p

Apparently this was done in an effort to prevent students from skipping class in the morning (which I admit to being guilty of).

Then they should institute an attendance policy if they care that much. I'm personally a, "I'm an adult and can make my own life choices," sort of person, so I think attendance policies of any sort are dumb. But gotta play the game to pass, unfortunately

Reactions: 3 users
I do feel for the professors who end up lecturing to a room of 10 people but also you do what you gotta do. It's not like most people skip and then never go back and listen to the lectures or anything.

Reactions: 1 users
I do feel for the professors who end up lecturing to a room of 10 people but also you do what you gotta do. It's not like most people skip and then never go back and listen to the lectures or anything.

Right? We're still picking up what they're laying down. Just in our beds

As much as we say the time flies, sometimes a good vent is the key to getting through. Thought I'd bring this old thread in for some reading for those that need a little here's a rant about school. Know that all these people have graduated moved on. haha

Lions, Tigers and Bears: Vet School is a Real-Life Nightmare

Reactions: 5 users
As much as we say the time flies, sometimes a good vent is the key to getting through. Thought I'd bring this old thread in for some reading for those that need a little here's a rant about school. Know that all these people have graduated moved on. haha

I do appreciate hearing doctors say how much they hate vet school. Today was miserable. Because of yesterday’s snow day, they added one of our missed lectures to the usually elective block (my lunch). So I woke up at 5 and studied until 7, started my exam at 7:30 and had nonstop class until 3pm

And I get that real life is non stop without a break but the just 50 minutes & a new professor comes in monotony of this semester is killing me

I don't hate vet school... but the times where I'm not loving it definitely outweigh the times that I do love it. Seeing a pair of binturongs in our exotic service today? Awesome, love it. The seven finals last week? Being used as a guinea pig for new courses that they have barely prepared for? Being regarded as if I'm whining when I make course suggestions? Don't love that. I've gotten some amazing experiences and met great people so far in vet school, but also had some very frustrating moments.

I am a predictable human being.

I did the coolest **** in vet school. Loved it for those opportunities. Didn't love it for everything else, haha.

I did the coolest **** in vet school. Loved it for those opportunities. Didn't love it for everything else, haha.
yeah, I didn't have much issue with school. I had moments where I was fed up though, so now that it's all done today, I giggled at looking back through history.

Feeling the drain with 2 more exams and 2 quizzes between me and spring break. My kidney phys exam was awful between the amount of time we had and some of the questions. I feel more prevets need to read that thread. I loved it.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my greatest fears about choosing vet med was that I would one day regret it. I don't regret it at all, even in the most stressful crap times. But I constantly wonder if *I* am right for vet med. I've never faced more rejection, criticism, conflict and overall difficult situations then I have in the past year in a half. I feel like I'm being punched down and I just keep coming back for more but crippling self doubt has taken its toll.

I'm reaching out to talk to someone, but I guess I just wanted to get these feelings out and hopefully make someone else not feel alone.

One of my greatest fears about choosing vet med was that I would one day regret it. I don't regret it at all, even in the most stressful crap times. But I constantly wonder if *I* am right for vet med. I've never faced more rejection, criticism, conflict and overall difficult situations then I have in the past year in a half. I feel like I'm being punched down and I just keep coming back for more but crippling self doubt has taken its toll.

I'm reaching out to talk to someone, but I guess I just wanted to get these feelings out and hopefully make someone else not feel alone.
Unfortunately, I feel like that is a common denominator in this profession, even when you get out in practice for some. I am glad you are reaching out. Also I wish more people would feel like posting about their discourse here. Even though some folks who haven't gone through it will be put off for the shattering of their rainbow, reality isn't always roses. True story. I loved smelling roses. Then one day at the tender age of 8, there happened to be one of those small bees doing its thing in that rose I stopped to smell. Not only did it go up my nose, but as I tried my damndest jumping up and down holding one nostril shut and blowing as hard as I could out the other, it stung me on the way out.

My general feeling as well. The people have (mostly) been great. I love the experiences I've had and the support I've gotten in finding my way to my chosen career path.

I think I pretty much had to make vet school more about everything else outside of sitting in lectures and taking exams, just to stay sane. Sure it means I don't have the best grades in the class, but it's been worth it to me.

Same. I do what I gotta do to pass, but that's where my effort stops. I'd much rather go get a red tail out of barbed wire or sit with the septic foal than spend hours upon hours in class for a bump of a few measly percentage points. I'm fine with being 134/134.

I love this thread. I still struggle on the daily with feeling guilty about hating vet school. People ask me how vet school is and I tell them “I don’t like it...I just have to do it to get to being a veterinarian”. I think a lot of people are surprised by my answer. Vet school is idolized so much and painted as a pretty picture when in reality, for a lot of people, it’s a big ugly mess most of the time. For me, it’s worth the ugly mess, but it’s still one regardless.

Spring break starts after the exam I have to take on Friday...no motivation

Today wraps up our 7th exam in 3 weeks.... so.... ready..for..Spring Break next week!!!!!!!!!!!!

My boyfriend is here for a week! :love:

Reactions: 5 users
I have to show somebody that I know some things about an anesthesia machine and then I'm off scot-free for spring break

I'm FREEEEEEEE!!! I'm so freaking happy it's not even funny. That final was no joke. Cumulatives suck. But now I'm freeeeeee. Also got funded for summer research today :D today is a good day!

Reactions: 6 users
I’m free tooooooooo!!!! Ended the week with my lab animal midterm! Dropped my girl off at the vet for boarding and I have an embarrassing amount of laundry to do real quick and pack for Vegas!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Really not looking forward to going back to school next week.. I hope it flies by. This year has been so hard for me mentally.. my grandma died last year, my uncle around Christmas, and my 14 year old dog was put down about a month ago... I hate my living situation... I'm controlled...I live in a room the size of a closet and it really just drains me mentally... and it really tears apart my friend group at school... best semester yet as far as grades but it's not as fun when you can't escape and everything else seems so dreary. I've met with the counselor a few times but still ready to move out and have some more control over my life again... I'm tired of the cameras.. the alarm system.. my boyfriend not being able to spend the night as often as I'd like.. the not wanting to compromise from roommate.. and getting tired of cleaning up after people to where I just stopped and now the house is a mess constantly...

Really not looking forward to going back to school next week.. I hope it flies by. This year has been so hard for me mentally.. my grandma died last year, my uncle around Christmas, and my 14 year old dog was put down about a month ago... I hate my living situation... I'm controlled...I live in a room the size of a closet and it really just drains me mentally... and it really tears apart my friend group at school... best semester yet as far as grades but it's not as fun when you can't escape and everything else seems so dreary. I've met with the counselor a few times but still ready to move out and have some more control over my life again... I'm tired of the cameras.. the alarm system.. my boyfriend not being able to spend the night as often as I'd like.. the not wanting to compromise from roommate.. and getting tired of cleaning up after people to where I just stopped and now the house is a mess constantly...

I'm sorry you get to deal with all this. :(

I'm sorry you get to deal with all this. :(

Thanks bat.. just needed a rant. I've never dreaded going back to school so much.. I tried to compromise by telling her I don't want to clean everyones dishes every day of the week.. the plan was for her to cook dinner and me do the dishes which I was ok with until she only cooks 3/4 days a week and I still have to do the dishes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner 7 days a week. I finally said something about it a month ago when I just coudn't handle being gone all day and coming back to a load of dishes being done since when I left.. she replied back saying to do everything separate now which is honestly better but now the house is a complete pit.. all of the dishrags magically disappered so I had to buy more.. no one cleans after themselves and with the house being so small I literally can't escape... she moved in early and took the master bedroom and bath even though we talked about it beforehand that she could have it if able to get the treadmill in there and now the treadmill is in what was supposed to be the living room.. can't have a dog door bc it's a potential way for a burglar to get in...I have a dog so it's not like I can't be home and since this roommate is in my circle of friends of school it puts a real downer on why I have a negative view towards her and everyone only sees how she is at school... just feel like I'm alone.. just 6 more weeks but I'm about to lose my mind

When are you able to escape this? (Sorry if you've said on other threads)

6 weeks bat... I can just hope I can get over this anger or find a new friend group or learn to tolerate it for 2 more years

um why are there cameras?!

um why are there cameras?!

It's part of our "deluxe" security system that I have to deal with.. I honestly haven't seen them come on except for this semester 4/5 times. I know they're on because I'll hear the click and the blue light will blink and it's looking at me as I let me dog out and I just feel violated. They can see the entire kitchen and living area.. and I'm guessing my bathroom door.. not 100% sure... Pretty sure it's her dad watching bc he did it once before when we were all at the dining room studying. I confronted her about it saying I want them unplugged and she said I can't unplug them bc it's the police checking in... I don't really buy that especially since I knew it was her dad looking in one time. I feel so bad for my cat being cramped up in the room but I can't let her out at night bc we have motion sensors and I'm afraid she'll jump up on the table and set them off or something... my boyfriend came over to feed her over spring break and so I left the alarm off when I left for break and she was able to turn it back on in another state away.. I confronted her and I should've told her before I left but I left in a hurry and it was a last minute thing and it slipped my mind.. plus I didn't really think I she had the power to turn it on from another state away.

I'll still be in Illinois in 6 weeks. Let me know if you need help moving, and my escape and I will come up to help!

It's part of our "deluxe" security system that I have to deal with.. I honestly haven't seen them come on except for this semester 4/5 times. I know they're on because I'll hear the click and the blue light will blink and it's looking at me as I let me dog out and I just feel violated. They can see the entire kitchen and living area.. and I'm guessing my bathroom door.. not 100% sure... Pretty sure it's her dad watching bc he did it once before when we were all at the dining room studying. I confronted her about it saying I want them unplugged and she said I can't unplug them bc it's the police checking in... I don't really buy that especially since I knew it was her dad looking in one time. I feel so bad for my cat being cramped up in the room but I can't let her out at night bc we have motion sensors and I'm afraid she'll jump up on the table and set them off or something... my boyfriend came over to feed her over spring break and so I left the alarm off when I left for break and she was able to turn it back on in another state away.. I confronted her and I should've told her before I left but I left in a hurry and it was a last minute thing and it slipped my mind.. plus I didn't really think I she had the power to turn it on from another state away.
yep nope i do not like this. definitely not the police checking in. when tf would they have the time to do that

I'll still be in Illinois in 6 weeks. Let me know if you need help moving, and my escape and I will come up to help!

This is like one of the kindest gestures. I feel so bad for complaining but I literally can't take it much longer.. especially with this whole Spring break fiasco. Thankfully my boyfriend was able to turn the alarm off before the police came but still scared him. It may not seem much to some but adding this stress along with school just does a number on me.

This is like one of the kindest gestures. I feel so bad for complaining but I literally can't take it much longer.. especially with this whole Spring break fiasco. Thankfully my boyfriend was able to turn the alarm off before the police came but still scared him. It may not seem much to some but adding this stress along with school just does a number on me.
is...is it possible to move out like... now?

Uh, that's super creepy her parents have cameras in the house. It would definitely be her parents checking in. The police aren't going to check some random person's camera. You're not living with her next year, right? Did you know about the cameras before you moved in?

I feel so bad for complaining but I literally can't take it much longer..

Don't feel bad for complaining. You're in a bad situation and cooping this up isn't healthy.

To help you make it the 6 weeks, I would suggest to keep talking to the school counselor as a solid, confidential outlet. 6 weeks sounds like forever because it will suck. You can get through this!

is...is it possible to move out like... now?

It honestly was a possibility back last month because since she moved in before me my lease was technically up when she moved in... but stupid me wasn't as fed up with it as I am now and didn't wan't to have the trouble of finding someplace for a month.. learned my lesson

Uh, that's super creepy her parents have cameras in the house. It would definitely be her parents checking in. The police aren't going to check some random person's camera. You're not living with her next year, right? Did you know about the cameras before you moved in?

Exactly.. they come on automatically whenever the alarm gets turned off. This I'm ok with bc no one is watching but when everything is off and it randomly comes on.. especially 1 of the 2 cameras.. the one pointing in my direction is on it freaks me out to where I run into the hole of my bedroom I have. I did know about the cameras beforehand but she suggested we could use them to watch our dogs while we were at school... yeah never happened.

It honestly was a possibility back last month because since she moved in before me my lease was technically up when she moved in... but stupid me wasn't as fed up with it as I am now and didn't wan't to have the trouble of finding someplace for a month.. learned my lesson
Wait, so are the cameras new? Do her parents own the house or something? I don't get why the feel entitled to put cameras in the house.

Exactly.. they come on automatically whenever the alarm gets turned off. This I'm ok with bc no one is watching but when everything is off and it randomly comes on.. especially 1 of the 2 cameras.. the one pointing in my direction is on it freaks me out to where I run into the hole of my bedroom I have. I did know about the cameras beforehand but she suggested we could use them to watch our dogs while we were at school... yeah never happened.
Ummm yeah no. This sounds like it's her parents being controlling and creepy. Not okay.

Wait, so are the cameras new? Do her parents own the house or something? I don't get why the feel entitled to put cameras in the house.

No they've been there since she moved in last summer he had them at her last apartment she had to herself.. parents don't own the house.. all three of us are on the lease.. her parents are an absolute NUT JOB (mainly the dad).. the girl is 24 and her parents ping her phone to see where her location is at if she doesn't respond to them in a certain amount of time... and she has to text them before and when she gets to any location.. that includes school... walmart.. etc. That's usually when I've noticed the cameras come on is when she goes to the store or something and I come home. She also can't drive back to an adjoining state on breaks for some reason so her dad makes the 8 hour round trip to pick her up and take her back every time.. I just shake my head... it's one thing if they have control over her life it's another if they start controlling mine