Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Parce que je suis le jour dix-sept sur mon période, et je suis fatigué, et j'ai besoin d'un temps pour se détendre et souffler de la vapeur.

(100% from Google Translate. I speak Spanish and ASL, not French)

Members don't see this ad.

Parce que je suis le jour dix-sept sur mon période, et je suis fatigué, et j'ai besoin d'un temps pour se détendre et souffler de la vapeur.

(100% from Google Translate. I speak Spanish and ASL, not French)
060.png

Reactions: 1 users
Skip Michigan now and just schedule an externship at Leader Dogs for the Blind fourth year. (Agree, @Rainheart?)

Don't know the logistics, but if you can get your **** shipped and turn the moving into a longer roadtrip with the pup that'd be fun and less horrible than marathoning it all. I keep trying to sell people on Asheville if you end up in the area... enough breweries for the whole trip in one hippy town.

Other than that, travel, relax, read, catch up on games for sure. If you have any hobbies you've always wanted to try or have dropped off the radar, pick'em back up. Even for the most type b people vet school is stressful, try and start very chilled. Just be happy for a while and revel that you got in.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Need help! I have two acceptances both OOS. One of them is LMU. I really like the other program I got accepted to more, but my fiance received a job offer that would give us free housing and a meal plan at LMU, plus pay. I know cost is important, but I am honestly worried because they are such a new program and don't have a teaching hospital. Both tuitions are the same, but the job offer obviously makes it cheaper. I have no idea which to pick. A new program that's cheaper but has a lot of uncertainties, or a well established program with lots of opportunities?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Need help! I have two acceptances both OOS. One of them is LMU. I really like the other program I got accepted to more, but my fiance received a job offer that would give us free housing and a meal plan at LMU, plus pay. I know cost is important, but I am honestly worried because they are such a new program and don't have a teaching hospital. Both tuitions are the same, but the job offer obviously makes it cheaper. I have no idea which to pick. A new program that's cheaper but has a lot of uncertainties, or a well established program with lots of opportunities?

what is the other school?

I would see if you can talk to some students who are at LMU (maybe check the school specific thread to see if any of them are hanging out there) and get their impression of the school. The only one I know off the top of my head is @dvmhopeful2018

Cost should be your first consideration in most cases, but I think your concerns about the program are valid. It's just hard for most of us here to say how much of an impact it will have on your education, since we haven't experienced it.

Reactions: 1 user
I keep trying to sell people on Asheville if you end up in the area... enough breweries for the whole trip in one hippy town.

Asheville is so pretty. I second this

Skip Michigan now and just schedule an externship at Leader Dogs for the Blind fourth year. (Agree, @Rainheart?)

Don't know the logistics, but if you can get your **** shipped and turn the moving into a longer roadtrip with the pup that'd be fun and less horrible than marathoning it all. I keep trying to sell people on Asheville if you end up in the area... enough breweries for the whole trip in one hippy town.

Other than that, travel, relax, read, catch up on games for sure. If you have any hobbies you've always wanted to try or have dropped off the radar, pick'em back up. Even for the most type b people vet school is stressful, try and start very chilled. Just be happy for a while and revel that you got in.

I'm not 100% sure what post this is a reply to, but the Leader Dogs elective was fantastic!! Highly recommend going during 4th year. I loved it.

Also, I can't speak highly enough of the Asheville area. I'm stoked about living in that area in just a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I feel so tickled every time I get an email

Members don't see this ad :)
I read this as you're funny when baked, plus you're in CO, so I was ready to transfer. ;)
This may be true, but I would have to get baked first to figure that out for sure. :p

Actually, nah, I'm kidding, here they give you a complimentary toke just for showing up to class in the morning. :cool: #wakeandbakebaby

Reactions: 2 users
We're in the C/O 2021 thread, so I thought he meant emails related to school. :p
Same. Plus, I think after talking to us for longer than ten minutes Bear is probably no longer excited about the ridiculous junk we say to him on here.

School emails, though, he'll probably still be excited about until like August. :D

Same. Plus, I think after talking to us for longer than ten minutes Bear is probably no longer excited about the ridiculous junk we say to him on here.

School emails, though, he'll probably still be excited about until like August. :D
I have a CVM email for work and it makes me ridiculously happy, and I've had it almost 6 months.

I have a CVM email for work and it makes me ridiculously happy, and I've had it almost 6 months.
I think here we all just get colostate emails, which is pretty much the catch all for grad students and faculty. The undergrads get a rams.colostate email. Of course, I have like ten different school emails that are all still working that I just get forwarded to my actual email, which is frustrating. I hate school emails.

I think here we all just get colostate emails, which is pretty much the catch all for grad students and faculty. The undergrads get a rams.colostate email. Of course, I have like ten different school emails that are all still working that I just get forwarded to my actual email, which is frustrating. I hate school emails.
My work email is only 10% relevant to me. But it's still exciting. I don't get any spam-type emails, they're all from people and organizations in the vet school.

When I was waiting for admissions decisions, I set up my phone to make a special sound when I got an email from a cvm.edu address. Now that I'm in, the cheerful "ding-a-ling!" makes me so happy :)

And then school will start and he'll realize what a terrible mistake he's made.

When I was waiting for admissions decisions, I set up my phone to make a special sound when I got an email from a cvm.edu address. Now that I'm in, the cheerful "ding-a-ling!" makes me so happy :)
This is adorable :love:

We're in the C/O 2021 thread, so I thought he meant emails related to school. :p

Ah, I guess this makes more sense. TBH I don't even look at what thread I'm in when I see any of your guys' posts... :laugh:

Ah, I guess this makes more sense. TBH I don't even look at what thread I'm in when I see any of your guys' posts... :laugh:
I kind of forget most of the time. It all runs together. It's like we're bar hopping or something.

Reactions: 3 users
Wait. I get to post here now. Ahhhh.

Reactions: 10 users
I'm still dazed after my crying my eye balls out yesterday. It was definitely very cathartic but I'm not quite right yet.

Reactions: 5 users
Just paid the deposit and accepted my position in Purdue's CVM class of 2021!! I couldn't be any happier.... except... I have a Physics II exam at 8pm this evening :arghh:

Reactions: 10 users
Just paid the deposit and accepted my position in Purdue's CVM class of 2021!! I couldn't be any happier.... except... I have a Physics II exam at 8pm this evening :arghh:

Well.... I actually had an answer to everything. I had a delightful question on estimating the number of proteins in a bacterial cell. I actually think I had a pretty good answer to it. Anyone wanna take a stab? I assumed the cell has the same density of water and that half the cell was protein (O.5 ug). Averaged the mass of a protein to be 600 daltons and multiplied by avogadro's number to get the number of proteins.... I feel like we don't really use physics in vet med all that much? Could be wrong though

Well.... I actually had an answer to everything. I had a delightful question on estimating the number of proteins in a bacterial cell. I actually think I had a pretty good answer to it. Anyone wanna take a stab? I assumed the cell has the same density of water and that half the cell was protein (O.5 ug). Averaged the mass of a protein to be 600 daltons and multiplied by avogadro's number to get the number of proteins.... I feel like we don't really use physics in vet med all that much? Could be wrong though
Physics can get pretty important when you think about things like diagnostic imaging, where a solid understanding of the underlying principles at work for different imaging technologies can help you in understanding what certain imaging techniques can and cannot show you, for example. I would also argue an understanding of some basic principles from physics can help you understand some physiology and anatomy things too, though certainly not to the same extent as in radiology things. Also, if you need to work with anything even remotely radioactive some physics chops can help you not kill yourself or your patient. Physics is maybe not as obvious in a lot of vet med as something like biology, but I think it underlies a lot of it in weird esoteric ways.

Also, how else are you supposed to calculate the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Reactions: 4 users
Physics can get pretty important when you think about things like diagnostic imaging, where a solid understanding of the underlying principles at work for different imaging technologies can help you in understanding what certain imaging techniques can and cannot show you, for example. I would also argue an understanding of some basic principles from physics can help you understand some physiology and anatomy things too, though certainly not to the same extent as in radiology things. Also, if you need to work with anything even remotely radioactive some physics chops can help you not kill yourself or your patient. Physics is maybe not as obvious in a lot of vet med as something like biology, but I think it underlies a lot of it in weird esoteric ways.

Also, how else are you supposed to calculate the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
African or European?

I have done that and it's way less fun than real tubing.
This is incorrect. If you truly believe this, then you have done something wrong. Sitting on a tube floating down a river is relaxing sure, but being whipped in and out of the wake, catching air, hanging on for dear life, and being thrown when your tube flips and you hit the water is ACTUAL ADRENALINE PUMPING FUN!

This is incorrect. If you truly believe this, then you have done something wrong. Sitting on a tube floating down a river is relaxing sure, but being whipped in and out of the wake, catching air, hanging on for dear life, and being thrown when your tube flips and you hit the water is ACTUAL ADRENALINE PUMPING FUN!
THANK YOU. FURTHER PROOF THAT WE ARE TWINS/THE EXACT SAME PERSON.
Mushy carrots and mushy apples are gross but the IDEA of apple pie is delicious AND that tubing requires a boat to whip you around

My god, none of you on this forum enjoy the good things in life.

Different types of fun. Lazy river tubing with a cooler of beer is a completely different but validly enjoyable thing from getting whipped behind a boat. Both good.

Different types of fun. Lazy river tubing with a cooler of beer is a completely different but validly enjoyable thing from getting whipped behind a boat. Both good.
And see, given how much I like beer why is anyone surprised about which one I prefer? ;)

Alternate facts