Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
YES. ESPECIALLY AFTER SEEING THE FIRST PART OF THE NETFLIX SERIES AAAAHHHH
LOOK AWAYYYYY

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I ended up bringing all my books with me except the shelf in my sister's room that's mostly my old books from middle school and earlier. I really wish I had brought some of them, I want to reread A Series of Unfortunate Events.
I'm so concerned this will happen to me because there is no way I can bring them all. I don't even have a place to live yet. Priorities.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm so concerned this will happen to me because there is no way I can bring them all. I don't even have a place to live yet. Priorities.
Well you just have to determine where you will live based on how many bookshelves you can fit in the place...

Reactions: 5 users
I live in a bookshelf. Problem solved
This seems most ideal

I've always wanted to have an actual library but since I'll be poor forever I've settled for just sleeping in one when my cardboard box under the bridge gets washed away by the rain.

Reactions: 3 users
So I probably have the unpopular opinion here, but as someone who loathes physics... I still don't see why I and II (mostly this one is silly) are still required. Are there some basics of physics that are in radiology and physiology? Absolutely! But could they, and do they teach those basics right there in the class? Why yes, most of them do! I think foundations are always useful, but I feel like I could have easily learned the basics of what we need to know in vet school well... during vet school instead of spending a miserable year of my life learning about magnetism, electricity, and the velocity of a rock if I catapult it over a wall. N=1 I suppose :shrug:

But that argument can sorta be applied for any class you didn't like that has overlapping info with vet school.

I mean, take biochem. We all (at least, most of us, I imagine) took a one-semester biochem course in undergrad as a pre-req, right? And then I took biochem in vet school. And it started right at the beginning and covered everything I had already learned (of course, it covered that one semester in a week or two, but...).

So hey, why take it as a pre-req if it's going to be covered?

The whole point of a foundation isn't to 100% eliminate redundancy. That's definitely part of it - so that vet school can focus on vet school - but part of it is so that when you cover the material again you already have covered it before and can re-learn it more quickly.

And there's definitely an element of just providing a 'hurdle'.... which, if you put yourself in the shoes of a vet school admissions team, isn't as crazy as it sounds. You have to have SOME way to measure academic success - having a defined set of pre-reqs that includes a variety of difficult classes helps standardize the GPAs that you're comparing against each other.

But that argument can sorta be applied for any class you didn't like that has overlapping info with vet school.

I mean, take biochem. We all (at least, most of us, I imagine) took a one-semester biochem course in undergrad as a pre-req, right? And then I took biochem in vet school. And it started right at the beginning and covered everything I had already learned (of course, it covered that one semester in a week or two, but...).

So hey, why take it as a pre-req if it's going to be covered?

The whole point of a foundation isn't to 100% eliminate redundancy. That's definitely part of it - so that vet school can focus on vet school - but part of it is so that when you cover the material again you already have covered it before and can re-learn it more quickly.

And there's definitely an element of just providing a 'hurdle'.... which, if you put yourself in the shoes of a vet school admissions team, isn't as crazy as it sounds. You have to have SOME way to measure academic success - having a defined set of pre-reqs that includes a variety of difficult classes helps standardize the GPAs that you're comparing against each other.
This is a really good point, though I would argue that while seeing biochem again for the 4th time in vet school was really useful and helped me remember and synthesize biochem material quickly, the "physics" we learned in vet school was, in my opinion, taken from my college algebra roots, and not from anything at all we used or learned in physics I or II. I'm sure you could argue that some specific physics equation or concept is used in vet school, it just seemed to me that my foundations to what we were exposed to in vet school came from other science classes. :shrug:

I agree with your last point, I just personally don't see the gain of those particular physics classes. If they want to just see if you can get through a rigorous class, then why not thermodynamics? Why not basic engineering? Makes about the same sense of physics to me.... But then again I admit that I am very biased against physics since mine in particular cared more about obscure equations and memorizing specific scientists' names then learning concepts.

I agree with your last point, I just personally don't see the gain of those particular physics classes. If they want to just see if you can get through a rigorous class, then why not thermodynamics? Why not basic engineering? Makes about the same sense of physics to me.... But then again I admit that I am very biased against physics since mine in particular cared more about obscure equations and memorizing specific scientists' names then learning concepts.

Well, sure, why not those classes? I mean.... I imagine the answer would be Physics is a fundamental core science: it's part of the triad of physics/chemistry/biology. Since vets are training to be scientists.... (the purist PhD types would sneer at that, but that's just them being all science snobby).

FWIW, I sympathize with you. I actually enjoyed physics, but it made/makes me grate my teeth to think of all the money spent on pre-reqs that really weren't *necessary* for my work as a doctor. I mean, hell, when you get right down to it, you could probably do vet school just fine with almost none of the pre-reqs .... Especially in today's world of ridiculous vet-school debt.

I was mostly responding with a "I get it, but there is a reason" kind of comment. Not out of lack of sympathy. :)

YES. ESPECIALLY AFTER SEEING THE FIRST PART OF THE NETFLIX SERIES AAAAHHHH

No kidding. I didn't even KNOW about it until my family started watching it. Without telling me. I happened to wander through the living room and was like "Gosh that sounds like NPH"....

Cue me forgetting whatever else I was doing.

Reactions: 2 users
Well, sure, why not those classes? I mean.... I imagine the answer would be Physics is a fundamental core science: it's part of the triad of physics/chemistry/biology. Since vets are training to be scientists.... (the purist PhD types would sneer at that, but that's just them being all science snobby).

FWIW, I sympathize with you. I actually enjoyed physics, but it made/makes me grate my teeth to think of all the money spent on pre-reqs that really weren't *necessary* for my work as a doctor. I mean, hell, when you get right down to it, you could probably do vet school just fine with almost none of the pre-reqs .... Especially in today's world of ridiculous vet-school debt.

I was mostly responding with a "I get it, but there is a reason" kind of comment. Not out of lack of sympathy. :)
No worries, I knew your old man self meant well! :oldman:

Members don't see this ad :)
LOOOOOOKKK AWAYYYYYY THIS SHOW WILL WRECK YOUR EVENING, YOUR WHOLE LIFE, AND YOUR DAY, LOOK AWAY
For whatever reason this makes me want to watch it even more.... :p

For those that have watched it how is it so far? I really want to watch but I'm still a little traumatized from the movie way back when...

Reactions: 4 users

For those that have watched it how is it so far? I really want to watch but I'm still a little traumatized from the movie way back when...
Why did no one love the movie? :arghh:

No kidding. I didn't even KNOW about it until my family started watching it. Without telling me. I happened to wander through the living room and was like "Gosh that sounds like NPH"....

It's a trap! I ended up accidentally watching all of part one in one weekend. I liked it a lot better than the movie!

Horrible. Absolutely awful. You don't want to watch it at all.

......... now excuse me while I go cheat on my family to watch the rest of it.

Horrible. Absolutely awful. You don't want to watch it at all.

......... now excuse me while I go cheat on my family to watch the rest of it.

I LOVED THE SERIES SO MUCH. 12/10 DO RECOMMEND IT ASHGIRL. And I didn't LOVE the movie, but I didn't hate it. Loved the books though. But when you do watch it, you can't skip the opening song. It changes every other episode and is basically a little synopsis towards the end of the song.

I LOVED THE SERIES SO MUCH. 12/10 DO RECOMMEND IT ASHGIRL. And I didn't LOVE the movie, but I didn't hate it. Loved the books though. But when you do watch it, you can't skip the opening song. It changes every other episode and is basically a little synopsis towards the end of the song.
It actually changes EVERY episode! For part 1, NPH sings the synopsis as Count Olaf, but for part 2, NPH sings it as the character's voice he's trying to portray! It's a subtle change- I noticed it in part 2 of The Reptile Room!

I loved it. So much better than the movie!

Why did no one love the movie? :arghh:
Because it was bad

It actually changes EVERY episode! For part 1, NPH sings the synopsis as Count Olaf, but for part 2, NPH sings it as the character's voice he's trying to portray! It's a subtle change- I noticed it in part 2 of The Reptile Room!
oooo I'm apparently gonna have to go watch it again.....:rolleyes::p;)

I have an unhealthy habit of running glorious (or dreadful depending on your point of view) amounts of numbers. If my current projections are correct, I could pay for my first year of vet school out of pocket. :eek: Super savings mode ACTIVATE! :heckyeah:

Reactions: 6 users
Guess I can officially post in this thread now :)

200.gif

I like how you all haven't even started classes yet (heck, there is still a month and a half or so left until the end of the application cycle!) but you're already ahead of the c/o 2019 thread.

Hahahaha, have you SEEN who's in this class? They're responsible for half the content posted since September in ALL the threads :laugh:

Might be exaggerating but I doubt it.

Reactions: 16 users
I like how you all haven't even started classes yet (heck, there is still a month and a half or so left until the end of the application cycle!) but you're already ahead of the c/o 2019 thread.
Are you challenging this thread to surpass the C/O 2020 in post number?

Challenge accepted.

Reactions: 8 users
Y'all gonna be SOL if I'm not in c/o 2021. C/o 2022 would be lit af though. I'll make all new friends and forget about you.

I believe in you but even if you end up not 2021...

You never forget your first.

I still love my 2020 crew.

...although I don't crash their thread. Maybe I should have.

I believe in you but even if you end up not 2021...

You never forget your first.

I still love my 2020 crew.

...although I don't crash their thread. Maybe I should have.
I have too many friends here.

I'm definitely gonna wallow in self pity and tequila if I get rejected from my last. That'll probably last a couple days.
But then, of course, I'll pick myself up and get better, do better.

Y'all gonna be SOL if I'm not in c/o 2021. C/o 2022 would be lit af though. I'll make all new friends and forget about you.
I'm not C/O 2021. :p Ain't nobody kicking me outa this thread tho :rage:

My only question is will I be vet 2021 or phd 2021. Still a Dr though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And adding more technicalities, what if my original class is 2019, I am temporarily placed in 2020 class next year because of PhD, I finish DVM in 2020, but I graduate with DVM in 2021 because of PhD, and I finish PhD in 2021? Which class should I post in?

Reactions: 6 users
I was joking around and thought about doing a PhD program that gives you your PhD and your MD after 4 years (cause it's a biomedical research PhD program that's really interesting to me). And then I'd go to vet school. So... triple doctor.

I would be triple doctor. I would get ALL of the SDN banners though!

And adding more technicalities, what if my original class is 2019, I am temporarily placed in 2020 class next year because of PhD, I finish DVM in 2020, but I graduate with DVM in 2021 because of PhD, and I finish PhD in 2021? Which class should I post in?

All of them

Reactions: 3 users
C/o old man

I was joking around and thought about doing a PhD program that gives you your PhD and your MD after 4 years (cause it's a biomedical research PhD program that's really interesting to me). And then I'd go to vet school. So... triple doctor.

I would be triple doctor. I would get ALL of the SDN banners though!
Dear god why

Because I really like biomedical research so that'd be fun. Also I'm a baby so I have time to do stupid things like get a masters
Going to med school and then vet school is not the same thing as "do stupid things like get a masters" :p