Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Physics can get pretty important when you think about things like diagnostic imaging, where a solid understanding of the underlying principles at work for different imaging technologies can help you in understanding what certain imaging techniques can and cannot show you, for example. I would also argue an understanding of some basic principles from physics can help you understand some physiology and anatomy things too, though certainly not to the same extent as in radiology things. Also, if you need to work with anything even remotely radioactive some physics chops can help you not kill yourself or your patient. Physics is maybe not as obvious in a lot of vet med as something like biology, but I think it underlies a lot of it in weird esoteric ways.

Also, how else are you supposed to calculate the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
I think, at least for us so far, physics was involved the most in respiratory phys. Because gases and such.

Reactions: 2 users
Physics is everywhere. Hiding. Waiting.
That is truly frightening. I'm in physics now and it has been the worst hell I've ever endured in a classroom.

It's like in a horror movie, where the monster doesn't get you until you turn around and look at it. Physics can hide and wait wherever it wants, I would just rather be blissfully unaware.

I liked "throw a rock off a cliff how fast does it go" physics (I, i think). Electricity and magnetism... much less easy on the brain, not my favourite.

Reactions: 4 users
I think, at least for us so far, physics was involved the most in respiratory phys. Because gases and such.
Agreed. So far for us, physics has been involved in our intro diagnostic imaging class and the cardio and respiratory sections of our histophys class.

While you won't be solving problems to find the velocity of a rock being thrown from a certain height or whatever, you will still definitely use a lot of basic concepts and principles in some classes. And I remember doing a few calculations on the tests for respiratory and cardio units of histophys. They're definitely not difficult, but it is something to be aware of.

Reactions: 1 user
It's like in a horror movie, where the monster doesn't get you until you turn around and look at it. Physics can hide and wait wherever it wants, I would just rather be blissfully unaware.
The greatest weapon of physics is gravity. It's less of a "turn around and it'll get ya" monster and more of a "waiting for you at the end of a long trip" monster.

Members don't see this ad :)
We're moving 800mi (yay military) and I had an interview lined with with an amazing primarily exotics practice already to work through the summer. Military says we're moving again, anywhere from 1-6 weeks after we check in, "they'll tell us when it's time". So I'm cancelling my interview, because it isn't fair to the clinic if I know I'll have to quit almost immediately. Forced vacation pre-vet school I guess. Hiking and photography with my pups.

Reactions: 1 users
I liked "throw a rock off a cliff how fast does it go" physics (I, i think). Electricity and magnetism... much less easy on the brain, not my favourite.
Yeah, this is how it was for me, too. I actually enjoyed the kinematics part of physics. Electricity and magnetism, not so much. Thankfully, I was taking it last spring and ISU doesn't require physics 2, so as I was accepted, I dropped that ish. Like a rock. Falling from a height of 10m in the assumed absence of air resistance. :p

Reactions: 3 users
Well.... I actually had an answer to everything. I had a delightful question on estimating the number of proteins in a bacterial cell. I actually think I had a pretty good answer to it. Anyone wanna take a stab? I assumed the cell has the same density of water and that half the cell was protein (O.5 ug). Averaged the mass of a protein to be 600 daltons and multiplied by avogadro's number to get the number of proteins.... I feel like we don't really use physics in vet med all that much? Could be wrong though
So I probably have the unpopular opinion here, but as someone who loathes physics... I still don't see why I and II (mostly this one is silly) are still required. Are there some basics of physics that are in radiology and physiology? Absolutely! But could they, and do they teach those basics right there in the class? Why yes, most of them do! I think foundations are always useful, but I feel like I could have easily learned the basics of what we need to know in vet school well... during vet school instead of spending a miserable year of my life learning about magnetism, electricity, and the velocity of a rock if I catapult it over a wall. N=1 I suppose :shrug:

Reactions: 9 users
So I probably have the unpopular opinion here, but as someone who loathes physics... I still don't see why I and II (mostly this one is silly) are still required. Are there some basics of physics that are in radiology and physiology? Absolutely! But could they, and do they teach those basics right there in the class? Why yes, most of them do! I think foundations are always useful, but I feel like I could have easily learned the basics of what we need to know in vet school well... during vet school instead of spending a miserable year of my life learning about magnetism, electricity, and the velocity of a rock if I catapult it over a wall. N=1 I suppose :shrug:
Not unpopular at all, and I actually assume that most people would agree (if nothing more, than to help reduce time and debt during undergrad). It does seem like most of these courses do do a refresher on the concepts, anyway, so I think dropping physics as a pre-req could certainly be feasible.

For some reason I'm the opposite, if I had to pick I would rather do electricity and magnetism. Physics I bored me out of my mind and was usually too abstract for me to care about.

I do see the importance when it comes to radiology, but unfortunately that is not what we are learning. So I agree with you in that aspect. Just finished thermodynamics (transfer of heat, enthalpy, entropy, etc.) and now onto electrostatics (charges and capacitors). It is a life sciences physics so that makes it a little better since they are relating it to biology/chemistry.. things I'm good at.

I have to ask, Yooper or Troll?

I never heard anyone use the term troll before to refer to LPers, but I am apparently also one. Grew up a block away from the detroit zoo.

Just coming here today to say ... I'm over the moon to be accepted to UMN and waitlisted at MSU, but I'm about to for real up the meal planning game right now. Especially if I am going to be a student paying OOS tuition. I think to gain IS residency I would need to sell my house in MI but I love this house so much and not sure I'm ready to let it go. It's got a great fenced in yard, is 10 minutes to the vet school (so super rentable) and ideal for ever coming back to MSU should that happen, and the house next to it WILL be town down one day and I want to buy the lot.

My SO is a vegetarian so a LOT of our diet is rice/beans/produce either as stir-fry or tacos. Breakfast is usually 2 eggs and toast or drinkable yogurt. The only beverage we typically stock in our house is OJ and coffee (ok, lots and lots of coffee). I'm just thinking of ways to do better. I also will have to reduce spending on my dogs (not health care, but less training courses). I'm also thankful to not be taking any summer classes for once so I can spend the summer working my butt off and saving away (after Wallydo get's his second TPLO...).

Did anyone else go into extreme saving mode?

Reactions: 5 users
Just coming here today to say ... I'm over the moon to be accepted to UMN and waitlisted at MSU, but I'm about to for real up the meal planning game right now. Especially if I am going to be a student paying OOS tuition. I think to gain IS residency I would need to sell my house in MI but I love this house so much and not sure I'm ready to let it go. It's got a great fenced in yard, is 10 minutes to the vet school (so super rentable) and ideal for ever coming back to MSU should that happen, and the house next to it WILL be town down one day and I want to buy the lot.

My SO is a vegetarian so a LOT of our diet is rice/beans/produce either as stir-fry or tacos. Breakfast is usually 2 eggs and toast or drinkable yogurt. The only beverage we typically stock in our house is OJ and coffee (ok, lots and lots of coffee). I'm just thinking of ways to do better. I also will have to reduce spending on my dogs (not health care, but less training courses). I'm also thankful to not be taking any summer classes for once so I can spend the summer working my butt off and saving away (after Wallydo get's his second TPLO...).

Honestly I'll probably end up spending more. Do those things I want to do before school starts.

why would you have to sell your house? If you aren't living in it and use it as a rental property I dont see how they can hold that against you.

why would you have to sell your house? If you aren't living in it and use it as a rental property I dont see how they can hold that against you.

I'm not entirely sure I would. My dad was thinking I should be able to gain residency while keeping it as an investment property, too. I have a tax attorney friend practicing in MI that I'm hoping could address some of the questions I have plus I will be contacting UMN. I just know that during our interview weekend, it was addressed that Minnesota wants you to prove pretty darn hard you aren't just coming here for school since residency status is not automatically granted after one year. It involves living here the full calendar year, working, and cutting as many ties as possible to your former state (per a MI student on the student panel who was granted IS tuition her second try).

Honestly I'll probably end up spending more. Do those things I want to do before school starts.

I totally get that, too. And having fun is still a priority this summer, just cheap fun! Last year, my SO booked shows to the east coast and we used the money made to pay for all our gas and food. We stayed with bands that we've let crash at our house when they come through MI. We are hoping to do something similar to the west coast this summer!

I think using my tax return on the TPLO might have slightly got the stress gears turning. Would have paid off my only C.C. without that happening.

I tried to go into saving mode, and I'm glad I did because I had several unexpected major expenses...so definitely started school with less money than I had when I found out I was accepted

I tried to go into saving mode, and I'm glad I did because I had several unexpected major expenses...so definitely started school with less money than I had when I found out I was accepted

I'll probably follow wally's example in having to burn tax return on getting doggo checked out, but also gonna try to earn a little more cash from work in case of this/so I can quit come June/July

Yup! After I got my acceptance I went into super planning mode for our finances. My SO and I are both working and making good money. That will all change once I go to school. He has to find a new job so he can join me, and I won't be working at all. We're trying to bulk up our saving for when s*** hits the fan. It will, it always does. I'm thinking we still might take some time off for the move at least, make it more fun than just booking it across the country as fast as possible :p. Hopefully fit a vacation or cool trip in that time frame.

Yup! After I got my acceptance I went into super planning mode for our finances. My SO and I are both working and making good money. That will all change once I go to school. He has to find a new job so he can join me, and I won't be working at all. We're trying to bulk up our saving for when s*** hits the fan. It will, it always does. I'm thinking we still might take some time off for the move at least, make it more fun than just booking it across the country as fast as possible :p. Hopefully fit a vacation or cool trip in that time frame.

I hope you are able to have a pleasant move, Coopah!!! Especially a cross country move - wow!!! Best of luck with all the planning ahead for you both. You are headed to UC Davis correct?

I hope you are able to have a pleasant move, Coopah!!! Especially a cross country move - wow!!! Best of luck with all the planning ahead for you both. You are headed to UC Davis correct?

Davis and Kansas are the only acceptances so far, I hoping for another one from Florida or Tufts. I doubt I can make Tufts work financially, same for Kansas. That leaves Florida or Davis, either way it's across country. Thank you, best of luck to you as well!

I'll probably follow wally's example in having to burn tax return on getting doggo checked out, but also gonna try to earn a little more cash from work in case of this/so I can quit come June/July
I had saved up well. Then when I had to defer, I had to give money back to the government (they don't like to let you keep education benefits if you're not in school). Started working and saved up enough so I could quit in June, go on a (free for me) cruise, then move in July. Would have worked out great but had stuff come up with my car and one of my cats before I moved. So things were a little iffy between the time when I moved and the time when loans were disbursed.

All that to say...plan for the worst, hope for the best. And I definitely still recommend a month or two of vacation before school starts.

The opposite, actually. I graduated five years ago so I have a fair amount saved up and realize that once school starts I won't get to spend money on my hobbies like I do now. (Video games, manga, anime figures. I hope I will still be able to buy a figure now and then, though.) On the plus side, Ames has a great public library so I won't have to buy everything I want to read. My local library now is super tiny so I buy pretty much everything I want to read.

The opposite, actually. I graduated five years ago so I have a fair amount saved up and realize that once school starts I won't get to spend money on my hobbies like I do now. (Video games, manga, anime figures. I hope I will still be able to buy a figure now and then, though.) On the plus side, Ames has a great public library so I won't have to buy everything I want to read. My local library now is super tiny so I buy pretty much everything I want to read.
Man, the Fort Collins Public Library has been so good to me. I go there so much

Man, the Fort Collins Public Library has been so good to me. I go there so much
Libraries are great. I love them. My coworkers don't like to read for fun and it baffles me.

I actually have no idea about the public library here but when you basically own a library of your own...
Haha I know that feeling. I've been trying to figure out what books to take with me when I move to Iowa, but my shelf space there will be limited. As it is I'm out of space with my five shelves here jam-packed.

Haha I know that feeling. I've been trying to figure out what books to take with me when I move to Iowa, but my shelf space there will be limited. As it is I'm out of space with my five shelves here jam-packed.
I ended up bringing all my books with me except the shelf in my sister's room that's mostly my old books from middle school and earlier. I really wish I had brought some of them, I want to reread A Series of Unfortunate Events.

I ended up bringing all my books with me except the shelf in my sister's room that's mostly my old books from middle school and earlier. I really wish I had brought some of them, I want to reread A Series of Unfortunate Events.
YES. ESPECIALLY AFTER SEEING THE FIRST PART OF THE NETFLIX SERIES AAAAHHHH