Columbia Interview was eerily relaxed - interviewer didn't ask anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Big Bad Wolf

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know if anyone else has had this with Columbia or with any other school, but my interview with P&S felt really weird. It felt more like an orientation than an interview - my interviewer didn't even ask me any questions. No "why doctor?", "tell me about yourself", "what are problems facing doctors now?" or even a "why columbia?" I spent five minutes talking about some of the things I do for fun (like dancing). I tried to bring up some topics but the interviewer dominated the entire conversation and basically gave a speech about the school.

I prepared so much for this interview and they didn't ask me anything. I love the school and I wanna go, so I'm really nervous about not getting the chance to show them who I am. Did anyone else have an interviewer who just talked without asking questions?
 
I don't know if anyone else has had this with Columbia or with any other school, but my interview with P&S felt really weird. It felt more like an orientation than an interview - my interviewer didn't even ask me any questions. No "why doctor?", "tell me about yourself", "what are problems facing doctors now?" or even a "why columbia?" I spent five minutes talking about some of the things I do for fun (like dancing). I tried to bring up some topics but the interviewer dominated the entire conversation and basically gave a speech about the school.

I prepared so much for this interview and they didn't ask me anything. I love the school and I wanna go, so I'm really nervous about not getting the chance to show them who I am. Did anyone else have an interviewer who just talked without asking questions?

I personally didn't interview nor apply to Columbia but when I interviewed at Case Western, I had a similar experience in which we didn't talk about me at all, or hardly medicine for that matter even when I tried bring it up. Some students told me this is likely because the person was confident in your application and didn't have any worries. I got into Case. I don't think it's a bad sign--definitely an odd feeling during the interview, though.