-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
CSU c/o 2024
Started by Sunshine in a Storm
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Karensings2cats
VMCVM DVM-MPH c/o 2024
I've worked in software, investment banking, and government for 14 years (ew I'm old) and I tend to keep my social media pretty much locked down - only people whose requests I accept can see it (with the exception of the pages I've set up specifically for vet stuff). I have no idea if schools will look at it, or if it would be legal or ethical for them to do so, but if you plan to someday put that school in your profile and practice medicine with their diploma, they will see you as a representative and ambassador of their name. So my advice would be to either keep it private or keep it clean. I expect any decent school will include in their student honor code something about demonstrating online behavior in line with the school's values, and probably vet students will get a lecture about professional reputation in a business/practice management course.Do schools google applicants? Like do they stalk their social media? I don't have anything inappropriate but I am wondering if I should be cautious.
Do you know how the OOS applicants are reviewed?
It says: Early Academic Review: Applications with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or less will be reviewed. Some of these candidates will be denied and some will move forward to the DVM Review (regular DVM admissions pool).
Are these ranked and then only a small percent are then reviewed or do they all have their folders reviewed?
DVM Review:
Nonsponsored – will result in a rank list of candidates. Some candidates will be selected for an
interview; some will be denied. Offer/Alternate status will be determined after the interview
process.
Just wondering if it's like LSU rank where OOS are ranked based only on GPA & GRE and the top 150 get their folders reviewed?
How would the applicants with a GPA of 3.2 or less after moving forward to the regular DVM admissions pool make it if then they're ranked? Do you know how the ranking works?
Hope I'm being coherent, lol! Any info you can share is a great help! Thank you!
Sorry for the late response! I've been busy and haven't been checking SDN very often.
As far as I understand, all applicants are reviewed the same way, unless you fall below that 3.2 where they really look into your file holistically. They don't really explain the process to us more than what is listed out on the website. Beyond that, the professors/admissions committee keep fairly tight lipped about the process. I really don't know anything about how they choose candidates and which people progress to interview status.
I feel like everyone else was more helpful than I can be regarding this part, sorry!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know for a fact they watch your social media once you are a student. There was a story that we were told of someone that graduated from CSU that got their DVM revoked because of something they posted on facebook (TL;DR, they went feral cat hunting and posted a photo of them holding a cat by the arrow that was shot through its head).Do schools google applicants? Like do they stalk their social media? I don't have anything inappropriate but I am wondering if I should be cautious.
We also signed a thing when we were in orientation that was a social media usage thing, basically saying we won't post anything that reflects poorly on the school. So, in short, schools do care about their reputations, so they care what their students post. I'm unsure if they google candidates as part of the screening process though. That would require a lot of digging because of how many applicants there were this year.
SBS From NJ
Full Member
First time OOS applicant.......Can't wait to hear back from CSU!
Snooky11meli
U of Edinburgh c/o 2024!!
The mini heart attacks I get from these “timeline” emails will be the death of me
The mini heart attacks I get from these “timeline” emails will be the death of me
Couldn't agree more...
My heart also jumped into my throat...
SBS From NJ
Full Member
Never been this stressed in my life!!!
Karensings2cats
VMCVM DVM-MPH c/o 2024
Seriously, all vet schools, don't @ me unless it's an admissions decision!!!
Seriously, all vet schools, don't @ me unless it's an admissions decision!!!
For reals. It’s making me nuts.
I’m in the same boat. I’ve been trying to just ignore that detail until I get invites and it actually becomes a problem, my superstitious self doesn’t want to jinx it 😀Colorado is interviewing the same day as my instate. Does anyone know how flexible they are about letting you interview on alternative days? I assume not very lol (may be a mute point as I don’t have an invite yet)
Colorado is interviewing the same day as my instate. Does anyone know how flexible they are about letting you interview on alternative days? I assume not very lol (may be a mute point as I don’t have an invite yet)
I’m in the same boat. I’ve been trying to just ignore that detail until I get invites and it actually becomes a problem, my superstitious self doesn’t want to jinx it 😀
Also same boat (with VMCVM), though I think there’s no way in heck I’ll get an interview invite to CSU so it’ll likely be a non-issue for me 😳
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lolol yeah probably same here. They have SOO many applicants.Also same boat (with VMCVM), though I think there’s no way in heck I’ll get an interview invite to CSU so it’ll likely be a non-issue for me 😳
How many OOS applicants do they usually interview? And how many spots are there for OOS?
SBS From NJ
Full Member
I’m also part of the “what if” group. I’m wondering about getting there. They get so many storms in January flying into the airport could be a bit of an issue. I would hope they make exceptions for that.
SameAlso same boat (with VMCVM), though I think there’s no way in heck I’ll get an interview invite to CSU so it’ll likely be a non-issue for me 😳
I'm in a similar boat, where I doubt I'll get an interview, but if I do its the same weekend as my sisters wedding which is also out of state for me.I’m also part of the “what if” group. I’m wondering about getting there. They get so many storms in January flying into the airport could be a bit of an issue. I would hope they make exceptions for that.
If I remember correctly, the old student snapshot page said that the class of 2022 had about 40ish OOS spots. They no longer disclose how many are out of state but we do have quite a few out of state students in our class. I would say around the 45 people range.How many OOS applicants do they usually interview? And how many spots are there for OOS?
im unsure how many OOS are interviewed but I do know that interview weekend is typically around 400 people being interviewed total vs the 2400 applicants from this year.
MommaBeasley2
Full Member
Today is the day good luck everyone!
Where does it say? My main page with the timeline doesn't say anything about an interview.My portal has updated with an interview invite!! OOS The link for registration isn’t open yet
Omg I'm shaking! IS interview invite
My portal also updated with an interview invite!! It's at the very top of the portal. The link is not currently open. OOS btw
Yeah I dont think mine has updated. Probably not good newsMy portal also updated with an interview invite!! It's at the very top of the portal. The link is not currently open. OOS btw
Attachments
gianna1018
Full Member
Yeah I dont think mine has updated. Probably not good news![]()
Mine also looks like this!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
This is what mine looks likeYeah I dont think mine has updated. Probably not good news![]()
Attachments
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I did not get an interview lolThis is what mine looks like
Snooky11meli
U of Edinburgh c/o 2024!!
What letter does your last name start with? I’m grasping at straws hereThis is what mine looks like
They haven't sent me any emails yet, and I know that they said in their previous email that they would release decisions "end-of-day" so it is entirely possible that they have not changed all of the portals yet!So I did not get an interview lol
DWhat letter does your last name start with? I’m grasping at straws here
Karensings2cats
VMCVM DVM-MPH c/o 2024
Ahhhh I got an OOS interview!
To be clear goto 2020 - Colorado Supplemental Application (CSA) and login, then click on "Fall of 2020" link at bottom of page, then a small window pops up, click button that says "open application", the page that now opens is where notice of the interview invite is posted. Its NOT not on the very first page. Just don't want anyone to get the wrong info.
Congrats Karensings2cats, jenjen2020, Ladybuglover, somebun!! I also got an invite and I'm pumped about it.
Congrats Karensings2cats, jenjen2020, Ladybuglover, somebun!! I also got an invite and I'm pumped about it.
I registered and “You will be contacted via email on Wednesday, January 15 with a specific interview time for your selected day.” But you have to cancel by the 12th... Essentially it’s probably going to be impossible for me to attend because I’m interviewing at my IS the next day. Need to think. So if you’re waitlisted you might get my spot.
horsedog98
Full Member
Has anyone gotten an email from the school yet?
MommaBeasley2
Full Member
There’s nothing under mine yet when open application
Just got the email inviting me to interviewI registered and “You will be contacted via email on Wednesday, January 15 with a specific interview time for your selected day.” But you have to cancel by the 12th... Essentially it’s probably going to be impossible for me to attend because I’m interviewing at my IS the next day. Need to think. So if you’re waitlisted you might get my spot.
I just got the email from them.Has anyone gotten an email from the school yet?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OOS interview invite!!!
OOS invite!!
Karensings2cats
VMCVM DVM-MPH c/o 2024
I have a room at the Hilton near campus with two double beds for Saturday night. I'll be flying in from DC late Saturday. Girls, if you want to share and split the cost I think it will be $70-80 per person with fees. Let me know (can you do private messages on this thing?).
OOS interview invite. I’m not sure if I’ll accept... Do they waitlist applicants for interviews? Hopefully my spot will open up for someone if I do have to decline.