Dartmouth Vs. Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatchasay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between two great schools. Dartmouth has a program that I absolutely love, small class size lots of personal attention and an amazing match list. Its negative is its isolated location. Georgetown has a location that I prefer while I have heard some negative things about its program such as its grading system creating lots competition amongst its students and its facilities pretty run down. Georgetown has good match lists. Who's do you think are better, Georgetown or Dartmouth? What would you pick?

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to decide between two great schools. Dartmouth has a program that I absolutely love, small class size lots of personal attention and an amazing match list. Its negative is its isolated location. Georgetown has a location that I prefer while I have heard some negative things about its program such as its grading system creating lots competition amongst its students and its facilities pretty run down. Georgetown has good match lists. Who's do you think are better, Georgetown or Dartmouth? What would you pick?

I can't necessarily speak for Dartmouth I can attest that Georgetown is a great program. The grading system does instill a decent amount of competition but this is stuff you're gonna need to know anyway. Also, your first 2 years preclinical grades don't necessarily matter as much as your clinical years although that may not be so true with the very, very competitive residencies. I don't know what the grading system is for Dartmouth but there will be some level of competition regardless of where you go. The upside is that Georgetown does an amazing job preparing you during your clinical years (which is more important anyway during your residency) and our graduates are often very highly regarded with respect of clinical skills relative to other school's graduates. Recent graduates have said that they were able to handle patients by themselves and basically act as a resident while still an MS4. So, although your preclinical years may be a little harder the upside is your clinical years will provide you with a wealth of knowledge and skills that residents have. Honestly, anywhere you go is fine. You'll get hammered by coursework and yelled by attendings while sleep deprived so good luck with your choice.

I would honestly choose Dartmouth in that situation. I didn't interview there, but from what I could find out, I thought its program is really great also. I guess if you really needed to be in a city, Georgetown would obviously be the better choice, but it sounds like the only thing you prefer about Gtown over Dartmouth is the location? You'd be fine at either. good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I was admitted to both Dartmouth and Georgetown in the 2006-2007 application cycle. Ultimately, I choose to attend another private med school on the East Coast. But Dartmouth was my second choice and I much preferred Dartmouth to Georgetown.

Frankly, I loved the rural New England environment. I grew up in Oregon and am an outdoor enthusiast, hiking, camping, snowboarding, trout fishing. All of the outdoor activities that I love are available at Dartmouth. The natural beauty of this area is stunning. I know that I would have been happy at Dartmouth. I also liked the hospital alot. And I liked the proximity of the undergraduate campus. The med students at Dartmouth did not seem competitive with one another but very supportive of their classmates.

If you are an outdoors person who could thrive in a rural environment, then Dartmouth is a great choice. If you are hardcore urban, that is a different matter. OP, it sounds like you really prefer the urban environment of DC, so you need to consider this aspect carefully. Obviously, if you excel at either school, you will have great options for residency.

I would make my decision based on cost factors, and location.

Oddly enough, I am going to med school in a large city. Oh well, it is interesting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.