England - Game Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m glad I tried to give pms a chance again because they really do make the game more fun, I need to keep that going in the future.
PMs won this game.

No exaggeration; the open sharing of reads, roles, night results/actions off the thread resulted in the formation of 2 very strong village blocs that ended up uniting at end game.

Typically role madness games like this lean wolf because they allow for propagation of confusion and distraction from wolf hunting, but most of the wolves this game were caught by villagers doing tone & post analysis on the thread and then partnering with their PM partners to problem-solve.

It was very cool to see from a modding standpoint.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
PMs won this game.

No exaggeration; the open sharing of reads, roles, night results/actions off the thread resulted in the formation of 2 very strong village blocs that ended up uniting at end game.

Typically role madness games like this lean wolf because they allow for propagation of confusion and distraction from wolf hunting, but most of the wolves this game were caught by villagers doing tone & post analysis on the thread and then partnering with their PM partners to problem-solve.

Turns out vacuuming everyone to Cornwall was a strong ability

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users
PMs won this game.

I hate PMs so much though. I feel like in some ways when they get leaned on so heavily not only can they mess things up for village (which didn't happen in this case) but also even when they work out it I feel like you're essentially handing the villagers a power they aren't really supposed to have. They're already the majority and are supposed to be handicapped by the fact that they don't really have the same level of private information channel that wolves have.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Turns out vacuuming everyone to Cornwall was a strong ability
Oh, speaking of your role...

Ross Poldark is a book+TV character who owns a mine in the 1780s in Cornwall called Wheal Leisure.

In the TV show there are some pretty incredible shots of the actor (or double, although I think the actor also does do some of the riding) galloping home across the Cornwall coast. Dartmoor & Exmoor National Parks are nearby (not in Cornwall exactly, but close) and they both have feral ponies. Ponies in general were used in mining operations back in the 1700s & 1800s.

So I combined a couple of things and gave one of Ross's fictional pit ponies a new job -- letting people gallop along the gorgeous Cornish coast.

source (9).gif

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I hate PMs so much though. I feel like in some ways when they get leaned on so heavily not only can they mess things up for village (which didn't happen in this case) but also even when they work out it I feel like you're essentially handing the villagers a power they aren't really supposed to have. They're already the majority and are supposed to be handicapped by the fact that they don't really have the same level of private information channel that wolves have.
I also hate PMs, but it is a valid mechanic in WW. It's called outside communication under other sites.

Reactions: 1 user
PMs won this game.

And sometimes your PM partner just rojos their night action in your PM and you throw caution to the wind :shrug: :laugh:

I've seen wolves infiltrate those communication networks too often to completely change my opinion on it, but it did work very well this game :) it has that in common with one of my other favorite village blocc games (Smash!).

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I can see that perspective.

To me the big difference is that the wolves know from day 1 who to trust -- and they know until the end of the game who to trust. Villagers (unless they are masons, which tbh is not my favorite village role) do not know who to trust, so even if they can communicate, there's still a major leap of faith there.

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
idk those are the types of rocks I trip and skin my knee on

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
idk those are the types of rocks I trip and skin my knee on
Kind of hard to tell from this picture because of the angle... but unless you are a giant, you wouldn't be tripping on those rocks. They are huge boulders. The little tiny dots on the beach (only visible after zooming in on mobile) are people, if that helps with scale.

Reactions: 1 users
Cool theme, @PippyPony :)

Congrats, Village! Esp Barks, I think it was, who threw out a list of suspicions early in game that had, like, most of the wolves on it.

And for the record, @samac .... I didn't pocket you. You more or less pocketed yourself. :) I just replied with the WW equivalent of a bunch of smiles and nods. :)
It was the sunny tunnel and then being like let’s get finn next! that did it for me I was like “oh yeah a wolf wouldn’t tunnel his own that hard”
But then I went back and reread everything when I went to Cornwall to talk to Dina about it and was like oh.... he tried to talk me out of finn..... oh no.
Great game and great theme!!! Loved the British story influences and flair! It was cool getting to do the ones I knew well and get more familiar with the ones I didn't or had overlooked.

I can't remember, but whoever had the confuscious spell did amazing! That will be unforgettable (except for who did it) and had me rofl. I don't know how you did that so perfect and off the cuff. Good job!

I was for sure Samac was moriarty and going to turn on everyone at the end. whoops

Good job Pippy! Best WW game I've ever played!
Hahaha, Bob you keep playing and you’re definitely going to learn I’m not that good. But after Robin Hood/ the sheriff when you mentioned Moriarty and DubZ had told me she was Sherlock I went full on PANICK
Omg I laughed so hard at this imagining your momentary rage. :laugh:
Imagine how hard of a rage it had to be when I was already frustrated from work
PMs won this game.

I LOVEEEEEEEE PMS. I haven’t had a game yet where I didn’t have one.
My role PM is even 7 pages from when I was silenced screaming at pippy.
Fun fact guy I think I next time there’s a PM mechanism if pippy is a wolf she’s wayyy looking forward to pocketing me.
I also hate PMs, but it is a valid mechanic in WW. It's called outside communication under other sites.
They’re the best AM. THE BEST
And sometimes your PM partner just rojos their night action in your PM and you throw caution to the wind :shrug: :laugh:

I've seen wolves infiltrate those communication networks too often to completely change my opinion on it, but it did work very well this game :) it has that in common with one of my other favorite village blocc games (Smash!).
That was the best. It was night 1, I had like 4-5 lines of communication open and pippy on thread was like “get your night actions in early”
And I tried to be a good player. I got them in early to DubZ lol. You role revealed too fast and it made too much sense (it was pretty damn early) and I was like alright. Then you got my berating you for an 8 page chat.

im probably wayy to open in PMs. Alissa was like “I want a mutual level of trust. I’m a Royal. Have a 1x death avoidance”. (It also helped they both opened PMs with me and alley claimed the same thing as a Royal) She told me she died in the Tower of London and I knew who she was. And I was like oh ok cool lol I’m a watcher nice to meet you :laugh:

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Cool theme, @PippyPony :)

Congrats, Village! Esp Barks, I think it was, who threw out a list of suspicions early in game that had, like, most of the wolves on it.

And for the record, @samac .... I didn't pocket you. You more or less pocketed yourself. :) I just replied with the WW equivalent of a bunch of smiles and nods. :)
I was definitely pocketed this way by like 3/4 wolves lol

• Haha
Agree with this. Plus it kinda sucks for the villagers not in the know, not in the PM, to feel like half the game is just taking place elsewhere.

• Love
Agree with this. Plus it kinda sucks for the villagers not in the know, not in the PM, to feel like half the game is just taking place elsewhere.
I know you think I automatically put everything on thread but I really don’t. It’s nice to have people to bounce my tinfoils off before making them public lol.

the mechanism in this is balanced by everyone opens one. It just happened that I opened one with dubz cause I wanted a line to her and everyone else opened one with me. So I had a lot of lines of communication but 2 of them were wolf. I never trusted mkg and gave her nothing. But I did give some bits to LiS, especially after sunny flipped wolf. That’s the danger of the game.

But this is within player control most of the time. I can understand feeling alienated if you're mechanically excluded from a group, but if the option exists and is just not capitalized on by choice/preference... that strikes me as an "if you can't beat em, join em" situation.

turns out my instincts are still pretty good. got most wolves mentally pinned down as "very likely" early on. Except LIS who I had as (somehow) not at all suspicious and the most suspicious because him barely playing felt super wrong even if he did vote for wolves early int he game.

turns out my instincts are still pretty good. got most wolves mentally pinned down as "very likely" early on. Except LIS who I had as (somehow) not at all suspicious and the most suspicious because him barely playing felt super wrong even if he did vote for wolves early int he game.
You had awesome reads -- your POE in PM right when you died was pretty spot on.

For everyone’s reading pleasure
I'm Eliza Doolittle, from the play Pygmalion, I have no powers, but my flavor text says who knows what kind of girl my glow up will bring, so I'm thinking I can maybe get powers later on.

My location is a flower stand, in Lisson Grove - London

sorry kinda paniking, my abilities specifically say nothing at the moment, which supports the flavor text

I got you.

But then I was silenced and couldn’t say anything in her defense so hahah wolves own mechanism used against you.
I was like “yeah I like that role reveal it’s good” until she mentioned My Fair Lady on thread and that seemed like TMI. I doubted pippy would put the play and movie in the role PM. I was silenced so couldn’t bring it up. At that point if that night was a tie I was going MKG, but I was 1000% convinced Finn was a wolf and Zenge was like “oh I’ll entertain her theory” and moved my vote there and parked it.

I doubted pippy would put the play and movie in the role PM.
This was hilarious to me, because.... I wrote her role PM.

The entire thing. I also wrote Finn's.

They were both real roles I considered putting into the game as village. So when everyone was like "naaahhhhh that can't be right," I was just like...

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
PMs won this game.

This was my first time really using PMs outside of wolfchat and I’m never going back to ignoring them.

I’m very glad I got over the trauma from Apocalypse :laugh:. Idk if they’re overall more likely to hurt or help village, but they’re so much more fun than I thought. The entirety of my PM history before this was:

Wolfy Bigcattos: Hi
Me, first-time villagelet fresh from Cartoons: Hi, what do you want to talk about?
Wolfy Bigcattos: [on thread] VIS IS WOLF DIE FISHER

... so perhaps you’ll forgive me for being a bit asocial and withholding here and in Bioshock 💀

• Haha
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users

They were both real roles I considered putting into the game as village. So when everyone was like "naaahhhhh that can't be right," I was just like...

YOU GAVE EM THEIR COVER ROLES
You’re so nice.

I absolutely loooovvveedd all the sus over MsP's Darwin claim. I was cackling every time someone said it seemed weird/unlikely to be real.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I absolutely loooovvveedd all the sus over MsP's Darwin claim. I was cackling every time someone said it seemed weird/unlikely to be real.
Honestly I couldn’t believe she was a seer and didn’t seer me straight up

Although that was Sporty's actual cover location lol.

It was my avatar and SDN location way back in another game. (AM told me which one but I already forgot again. I think I was merlin or gandalf or something).

magic merlin GIF

• Haha

It was my avatar and SDN location way back in another game. (AM told me which one but I already forgot again. I think I was merlin or gandalf or something).

magic merlin GIF
SO LIKE I WENT GOOGLING AND THAT MADE ME BUY IT SO HARD.
he actually went to Bermuda.

That reminds me... My biggest regret in this game was that I couldn't work in a druid cult mechanic with either Morgaine, Viviane, or Merlin from the Mists of Avalon at its center.

Worked on it for days and then just scrapped it because it was getting too complicated to balance.

Also, while researching, I was reminded that "Merlin's" name in that book was Kevin.

KEVIN.

What is it with epic fantasy writers and the name Kevin?

• Haha
  • Wow

magic merlin GIF
It was fun to skim along with because I saw all these as ideas, but had no idea which actually made it in the game or not, and what their final iterations were.

• Love
Oh Pippy, what was with the camo Result MsP got with me?
You had the diminishing night kill protection because you were elected Prime Minister

She seered kill ability/no kill ability and got a little something extra if people had a death avoidance. Royals would have seered keystone species, Henry VIII would have seered apex predator.

And she would have had trouble seering genny, Cyndia, and Sporty. They aren't from around here.

You had the diminishing night kill protection because you were elected Prime Minister

She seered kill ability/no kill ability and got a little something extra if people had a death avoidance. Royals would have seered keystone species, Henry VIII would have seered apex predator.

And she would have had trouble seering genny, Cyndia, and Sporty. They aren't from around here.
Your secret goal was to get my yeeted lol

• Haha
  • Wow
Let's see... Other things that didn't happen in this game...

Sad that April died so early because she & finn's roles (and also genny's) were designed to redistribute items in the game. Wolves could have theoretically stolen Excalibur and gone on a killing spree. April could have stolen the Turkish delight and the crumb of cheese wolf seering items (Finn could have also stolen them to keep them in circulation for when Sunshine or Sporty died), and if those players had been alive for the Fire of London, those abilities would have been gone.

Additionally, I posted this in dead chat, but we never really made it to the last game event:

I don't think we'll make it to the last game event, but that was going to be Beatlemania

• Everyone loses their ability to function/think about anything but the Beatles, and therefore all actively targeted abilities are phased out
  • Location groups abolished ("imagine there's no countries") and PM rules changed to allow for unlimited PMing ("I want to hold your haaaaaaand")

I opted not to do it just because it wouldn't have made much of a difference at that point, and it's more work haha.

Your secret goal was to get my yeeted lol
I'm pretty sure her "not secret" goal was everyone dying, not just you.

I was like, "man there's a lot of kill avoidance - maybe the female kill supersedes the royal protection? Hmm that feels a bit strong maybe 50/50" and she's like "YES IT KILLS THEM ALL ALSO THAT'S THE ALPHA." :laugh:

• Haha
Dead chat is completely full beyond my capacity to add people. @Lupin21 is in there but I'm not sure if she's seen the PM/knows to add people because I didn't tag her outside of the chat.

any remaining player can be added whenever lupin gets a chance.
Can you list the folks needing added and I'll get r done.