Kansas City (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also my favorite part of the instructions...

"Application System Requirements
We strongly recommend that you use Mozilla Firefox, not Internet Explorer, as your browser."

Finally the world is starting to understand.

Chrome>Firefox>>>>>>>>>>>Internet Explorer

Last edited:
Also my favorite part of the instructions...

Application System Requirements
We strongly recommend that you use Mozilla Firefox, not Internet Explorer, as your browser.

Finally the world is starting to understand.

Chrome>Firefox>>>>>>>>>>>Internet Explorer

Love this! Chrome is the best... I never use anything else!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who has already submitted... How long did it take you to receive confirmation for your payment or have you received one at all?

Also, according to the CIB, KCUMB waives the fee if it's already approved by AACOMAS but I saw no indication of this anywhere so I just paid my fee assuming if it's the case they'll be able to refund it. I just submitted a few minutes ago. Good luck to all!

Haven't gotten it :(

Anyone who has already submitted... How long did it take you to receive confirmation for your payment or have you received one at all?

Also, according to the CIB, KCUMB waives the fee if it's already approved by AACOMAS but I saw no indication of this anywhere so I just paid my fee assuming if it's the case they'll be able to refund it. I just submitted a few minutes ago. Good luck to all!

I submitted it but then exited out of the payment page. Then I emailed them about my fee waiver but it was during the weekend so im still waiting for them to reply. I've done the same with a couple other schools and got the fee waived.

Submitted.

So I guess KCUMB didn't screen as heavily as we thought, huh? Seems like they pretty much invited everyone on SDN who applied (and yes, I understand SDN is hardly representative of the overall applicant pool... but I think it's somewhat significant nonetheless).

Submitted.

So I guess KCUMB didn't screen as heavily as we thought, huh? Seems like they pretty much invited everyone on SDN who applied (and yes, I understand SDN is hardly representative of the overall applicant pool... but I think it's somewhat significant nonetheless).

Not me, but according to their website you need a 3.25/3.25/23 (>6) and I have a 3.20/3.20/33 (11's). Not sure if screened out or just not sent a secondary yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted.

Not everyone :( no secondary here, 3.34s, 3.57c 29L. maybe I'll get one Monday

Not me, but according to their website you need a 3.25/3.25/23 (>6) and I have a 3.20/3.20/33 (11's). Not sure if screened out or just not sent a secondary yet.

Not everyone :( no secondary here, 3.34s, 3.57c 29L. maybe I'll get one Monday

I haven't received it yet either... Here's hoping for tomorrow! ;)

Sorry, when you said "not me" earlier I assumed you were meant you hadn't received payment confirmation.

As for your application -- that would be ridiculous if they screened you out despite having such a good MCAT. Maybe KCUMB will be like UCSD -- only offer initial secondarties to applicants with high stats, then go through the apps again later, reviewing them one by one. Fingers crossed, eh?

I seem to remember their website saying everyone with at least a 3.25/3.25/23 will get a secondary, and that other applicants may or may not receive a secondary.

"Students who have achieved a 23 or higher on the MCAT with no scores lower than a 7 in any section, a 3.25 science GPA and a 3.25 cumulative GPA will be invited to complete a Secondary Application for KCUMB's College of Osteopathic Medicine. Students who fall below the minimum criteria may be evaluated by the Admission Committee for consideration for a Secondary Application as well."

Straight from their minimum requirements page. Personally I have a 3.34c, 3.24s, 28O and I got a secondary BUT I'm also at the start of the alphabet? So I'm betting a lot of you will get them in the next couple of days.

I didn't get one either. Anyone who has been browsing last cycle's thread ever read that someone with <3.25 GPA received a secondary invite?

Hi guys!
Im applying to KCUMB too. international Student here!

I got the package with the little booklet and pics and then my letter said that I had to check some of the other pre-recs for international students, which are okay and the regular for us international students, but have you guys heard of the rate of acceptance on internationals?
Still waiting for my secondary! :xf::xf:

Good luck to everyone here!

3.4c/3.3s GPA, 31S MCAT and no secondary. :(

Quit playing games with me KCUMB.

No secondary here yet and I have 3.33/3.56/29Q. Hopefully this week!

Sorry, when you said "not me" earlier I assumed you were meant you hadn't received payment confirmation.

As for your application -- that would be ridiculous if they screened you out despite having such a good MCAT. Maybe KCUMB will be like UCSD -- only offer initial secondarties to applicants with high stats, then go through the apps again later, reviewing them one by one. Fingers crossed, eh?

If that's true I'm really hoping for one on Monday (3.49/3.4/29). I hope you will get one MedPR, they really should forgive that .05 for 10 more points on the MCAT.

Yea, not to mention the fact that I am a Missouri resident :/

Update on the fee waiver situation. Because I already paid the fee, they just want me to send them a copy of my AACOMAS fee waiver letter (never received one, only got an email) and they'll credit it back. I'm going to assume that those of you who have not yet submitted, if you did receive the waiver, you should probably submit the application but NOT submit the payment afterward. I'd just email them before doing anything to find out if they need documentation. Good luck to everyone! Hope you get secondaries soon (I can't image it'll take much longer).

Update on the fee waiver situation. Because I already paid the fee, they just want me to send them a copy of my AACOMAS fee waiver letter (never received one, only got an email) and they'll credit it back. I'm going to assume that those of you who have not yet submitted, if you did receive the waiver, you should probably submit the application but NOT submit the payment afterward. I'd just email them before doing anything to find out if they need documentation. Good luck to everyone! Hope you get secondaries soon (I can't image it'll take much longer).

Does KCUMB let you submit without paying? Most schools don't.

Also, just forward that email to them and tack on your AACOMAS ID and a quick note about why you are sending it to them.

Does KCUMB let you submit without paying? Most schools don't.

Also, just forward that email to them and tack on your AACOMAS ID and a quick note about why you are sending it to them.

I received a "secondary submitted" email before I even paid for it so I'm betting they can waive it before you even pay but who knows. That's why I was thinking it'd be good to just email them before you even pay. Several schools have not required payment at all when submitting the application because of the fee waiver. Those include KCOM, DMU, SOMA, and RVUCOM. Western and PNWU both required that I pay it, but then they credit it back after you email them.

On the second note, I did exactly that. Because my fee waiver was emailed through the portal, I just copied and pasted it in my response email. Hoping that works because AACOMAS told me they don't send out letters. Period.

I received a "secondary submitted" email before I even paid for it so I'm betting they can waive it before you even pay but who knows. That's why I was thinking it'd be good to just email them before you even pay. Several schools have not required payment at all when submitting the application because of the fee waiver. Those include KCOM, DMU, SOMA, and RVUCOM. Western and PNWU both required that I pay it, but then they credit it back after you email them.

On the second note, I did exactly that. Because my fee waiver was emailed through the portal, I just copied and pasted it in my response email. Hoping that works because AACOMAS told me they don't send out letters. Period.

I'm sure KCUMB is aware that AACOMAS doesn't send letters. It's not a new system :) Don't worry about it.

If I were in your situation, I would just pay the fee(s) with my credit card and then contact the school so they could reimburse me. I wouldn't want my secondary to get held up because I didn't pay. Not saying it does, but why risk it?

I'm sure KCUMB is aware that AACOMAS doesn't send letters. It's not a new system :) Don't worry about it.

If I were in your situation, I would just pay the fee(s) with my credit card and then contact the school so they could reimburse me. I wouldn't want my secondary to get held up because I didn't pay. Not saying it does, but why risk it?

Yeah I already paid mine yesterday so I did email them today. My biggest problem now is that they still won't consider it because my LOR's aren't in. My committee letter and letter packet was SUPPOSED to be sent by the end of this month but I've just been told that they won't have my committee letter done until MID AUGUST!! So yeah, I guess I can take my sweet time with everything else. But thanks for your help!

Still no secondary for me here either. What's going on KCUMB?

Yeah I already paid mine yesterday so I did email them today. My biggest problem now is that they still won't consider it because my LOR's aren't in. My committee letter and letter packet was SUPPOSED to be sent by the end of this month but I've just been told that they won't have my committee letter done until MID AUGUST!! So yeah, I guess I can take my sweet time with everything else. But thanks for your help!

I hope it works out.

Still no secondary for me here either. What's going on KCUMB?

:(

I got mine friday at 4 pm... Last name "Ever." First name "Greatest." Lol, jk but I am at the front of the alphabet - doubthat matters. No offense to anyone, but I'm glad I still have time to write this thing and be first in line for review :D Best of luck everyone, I'm sure they'll be out by thursday!

I'll feel better about this if they are in fact doing it in alphabetical order. I'm near the end.

I got an email from KCUMB saying that I was deficient in English credits, but they noticed that it was an error with AACOMAS. KCUMB definitely looks closely if they noticed the mis-classification!

I told them I fixed it yesterday and they should get the updated application soon. Hopefully I get a secondary soon!

I got an email from KCUMB saying that I was deficient in English credits, but they noticed that it was an error with AACOMAS. KCUMB definitely looks closely if they noticed the mis-classification!

I told them I fixed it yesterday and they should get the updated application soon. Hopefully I get a secondary soon!

You can say that again. I got an email saying I was lacking biochem -- which isn't true, but it isn't reported correctly on my AACOMAS. Anyway, I quickly replied back and got the secondary the following day. They're pretty on top of things.

Well apparently I missed that KCUMB requires genetics. I thought that was just MSU. They sent me an email asking if I am planning on taking it and I said I would take it before matriculating if I was accepted. I'm probably not going to see a secondary am I....
Dang

I just got my secondary in an e-mail today, like 30 minutes ago....

Just got my secondary a few moments ago.

Is it really true that they screen or is that just an SDN rumor?

I called today and ask them if I have been screened out. The lady told me that they are behind on applications. Maybe this is why many of us haven't received an invite yet.

I called today and ask them if I have been screened out. The lady told me that they are behind on applications. Maybe this is why many of us haven't received an invite yet.

+1. Still don't have mine.

Makes me feel much better. Thanks for calling and letting us all know what's up!

I can't speak on behalf of Admissions, but if things are the same way for you guys that they are for the incoming class, then there are 3 different people that are processing apps based upon where you are in the alphabet. There is a good deal of stuff that they must go through, and while KCUMB does rolling admission, their screening is such that a vast majority of interviewees are accepted. Personally I interviewed in March and was accepted a couple weeks later. They are also dealing with last minute stuff for the Class of 2016, so be patient and enjoy your time now!

I should also mention, in the past there have been around 500 interview offers. I can't quite recall where it was, but it was on the school's website. There is way more than GPA/MCAT that goes in to deciding who gets an interview. Not just at KCUMB, but practically every school looks at the applicant, not just their grades. Trying to theorize who will be invited is silly, since only the admissions committee knows. Just take all the applications seriously and you will find your minds will be more at ease.

I can't speak on behalf of Admissions, but if things are the same way for you guys that they are for the incoming class, then there are 3 different people that are processing apps based upon where you are in the alphabet. There is a good deal of stuff that they must go through, and while KCUMB does rolling admission, their screening is such that a vast majority of interviewees are accepted. Personally I interviewed in March and was accepted a couple weeks later. They are also dealing with last minute stuff for the Class of 2016, so be patient and enjoy your time now!

Thanks for the info!