Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II Seton Hill just now!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else interviewing on 8/12?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To my understanding, no it does not work that way. The campus you interview for will be the campus they can accept you at. Interviewing at Erie wont get you a spot at SH and vice versa.
Actually once you get accepted at Erie or SH you can switch around depending on your preference, you'll rank the programs and locations you'd like during the interview. The exception to this being Bradenton which you'd need to go to a separate interview on their campus for.

Actually once you get accepted at Erie or SH you can switch around depending on your preference, you'll rank the programs and locations you'd like during the interview. The exception to this being Bradenton which you'd need to go to a separate interview on their campus for.

Out of curiousity, is there a difference in terms of likelihood of acceptance? I feel like there is not at the end of the day.

Not really, just depends on how many spots are left and what your pathway is.
So if I choose PBL as my top choice, will I be offered a spot at Seton Hill and at Erie? Or just Erie?

So if I choose PBL as my top choice, will I be offered a spot at Seton Hill and at Erie? Or just Erie?
Most likely the site that you select on your preference sheet but if the other site has spots available and you wish to transfer you can contact the school (after acceptance) and they'll easily switch you over.

I received an email last Friday that I didn't meet their pre screening requirements based on my MCAT score but that I could submit my ACT score. So I submitted that score on Friday and this morning I received an email for me to complete their secondary. Does anyone have any insight as to what their preferences are regarding the Academic Index Score? Mine is 120 I believe but I don't know how that translates.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Group interview still occurs but there's is a second individual interview called a MMI
The confirmation email said the day is from 8am-1pm, does this include that optional individual interview, or will that push past 1pm?

(sorry to quote you on something literally 2 weeks ago)

The confirmation email said the day is from 8am-1pm, does this include that optional individual interview, or will that push past 1pm?

(sorry to quote you on something literally 2 weeks ago)

Nah everybody was finished at 1pm

Members don't see this ad :)
Were we supposed to get an itinerary of the day? I only received an email to confirm the interview which says to arrive at 7:15am (bfast) and depart at 1pm and then a sentence (without times) of what we're doing for the day. But that's all I've gotten so far (other than the food allergy email). I'm guessing we get the hour-by-hour itinerary once we arrive?

Were we supposed to get an itinerary of the day? I only received an email to confirm the interview which says to arrive at 7:15am (bfast) and depart at 1pm and then a sentence (without times) of what we're doing for the day. But that's all I've gotten so far (other than the food allergy email). I'm guessing we get the hour-by-hour itinerary once we arrive?
Where do you see a 7:15am arrival? All of my stuff says 8am.

Where do you see a 7:15am arrival? All of my stuff says 8am.

My email was sent Aug 5th from Alison saying:
"This is a reminder of your admissions interview at the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) at Seton Hill.
Arrive: 7:15 a.m. for continental breakfast
Depart: 1:00 p.m."

and then a few other paragraphs about traveling, hotel, etc. Anyone else get this email?

My email was sent Aug 5th from Alison saying:
"This is a reminder of your admissions interview at the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) at Seton Hill.
Arrive: 7:15 a.m. for continental breakfast
Depart: 1:00 p.m."

and then a few other paragraphs about traveling, hotel, etc. Anyone else get this email?
Ohhhhhhhhh you're at Seton Hill. That's about all I got for Erie, so I assume everyone gets the itinerary the day of the interview!

Ohhhhhhhhh you're at Seton Hill. That's about all I got for Erie, so I assume everyone gets the itinerary the day of the interview!

Oh I'm sorry, I should have clarified! My bad, thanks!

I received an email last Friday that I didn't meet their pre screening requirements based on my MCAT score but that I could submit my ACT score. So I submitted that score on Friday and this morning I received an email for me to complete their secondary. Does anyone have any insight as to what their preferences are regarding the Academic Index Score? Mine is 120 I believe but I don't know how that translates.

From a thread
I created without the drama, I give you dokmark's quote.

The Academic Index Score (AIS) is a common tool utilized for college admissions in Colorado, Iowa and California. It has also been used for years at the University of Colorado Denver Medical School as admission criteria for their BS/MD program. Students are admitted directly from high school and obviously haven’t had the courses to take the MCAT.

The MCAT was introduced in 1928 as a response to high attrition rates to insure that those who were admitted to medical school would be successful in completing it. It recently underwent major revision, partly based on asking if it was valid in predicting who would make good physicians. It takes more to be a good physician than an MCAT score.

Precedence exists for consideration of alternatives to medical school programs. This can be seen in schools which admit students directly into six year, 3+4 year, and other programs which do not require MCAT scores. These programs utilize high school grade point averages (hsGPA) or class rank, Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) and American College Testing (ACT) scores, in other words, the same criteria as the AIS.

When LECOM designed its Physician Assistant to Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine bridge, a three year program for PAs to earn DO degrees, the PA applicants had an average of about 5 years of clinical experience but as PA curriculum typically does not require physics and often organic chemistry they wanted to look at other criteria. LECOM used the AIS standards in a pilot study with the PAs as an alternative to the MCAT. LECOM followed the outcomes of the PAs who did exceptionally well, so much so that they opened the option of using the AIS as an alternative to the MCAT to everyone.

LECOM now has both options of using the MCAT or the AIS. The accrediting body for osteopathic schools does not dictate what admission criteria is used, it looks at the outcomes like attrition rates. LECOM’s is less than 2%.

Someone posted earlier that not taking the MCAT could put you at a disadvantage in applying to other medical school…absolutely. If you don’t take the MCAT there are only a handful of medical schools you can apply to.

Also, the AIS and MCAT minimums are to qualify for an interview. They don't guarantee admission.

The emphasis : "AIS and MCAT minimums are to qualify for an interview. They don't guarantee admission"

You will not find a MCAT to AIS table like you see roughly with the old/new MCAT or SAT/ACT. No one except LECOM has such data, and how that data plays into the whole application. If you PM me I can provide a little knowledge in how far I have seen those use the AIS to get interviews, and acceptances. I just don't detail it here.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As per the interview day ! (for those that do not know).

Without crossing the line as it is general knowledge as of SDN [and in good spirit of see one, do one, teach one] I hate to see good people not know certain information that goes beyond knowledge gained in undergrad.

What to wear:

LECOM is formal in clothing, ensure proper clothing (as you should in every interview) -shoes for a suit that you can walk in. The clothing for a guy is easy: full suit, tie, dress shoes- don't look like a hobo. You won't be able to dress less than a dress shirt and tie later on anyway. The professional dress for ladies is variable (do to taste) but it should be professional. It is generally a good to buy one of these:
51xZM0VNoUL._SX371_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

With a business pen to take the few notes you will need, and place any contact cards in it (it is easy to lose things with the butterflies). You don't want to be the only one without pens (a few extra won't hurt to pass around if need be) and they are easy to carry in this leather type of business notepad book. It won't hurt to be the only one to have a professional notepad (as some don't) but you tend to stand out if you are the only one without one.

The interview day itself is very important too (whole time). :poke: No spitballs at the Financial Aid presentation lol.

The interviews I have heard are usually divided depending on the number interviewing that day and the amount of interviewers available. I am not sure if they go beyond 10 in a room, but it is best to leave the front of the room arm waving-I have the answer!- behind regardless of number. If you have never had a group interview for this type of scenario, it can be odd as usually the applicant is questioned by the opposite (i.e. 10 interviewers, 1 applicant). How you behave and answer questions as an individual and part of a group is just as new to almost everyone there... so breath. It is closed, so no one will know each other's portfolio nor will the interviewers utilize them.

People have posted the general questions before, but due to such, often they will not come up unless they are truly general. Do not memorize what you expect to say, often people come off as phony.

Be calm, be real, and remember the person you interview with may sit to you in class - don't be a jerk.

If anyone has questions, I can try to provide some zen to a degree. Everyone is always so tense :thumbup:

EDIT: Sorry I missed the new optional part I saw

The optional MMI individual interview (edit won't let me quote) but if you missed it - check out earlier posts. 2 questions, 8 minutes is what I think it said from another poster. Darn tricky SDN posting stuff :p

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Hey SDN fam!!! Who's ready to interview this Friday?!!! I have my flight tomorrow and will be landing in Erie at 11:30 P.M. Anyone else arriving anytime tomorrow?

Hey, So I have an II at seton hill campus in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone who has already interviewed could shine some light on whether they are good about ending the interview on time? I have to drive across pitt to get to the airport post interview and am trying to fly out early as possible that night but did not want to miss my flight if they tend to run over their time.

What was your MCAT? I know a few people with sub-500 scores that recieved interviews.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Well I haven't taken the new MCAT yet. My score on the old one was 22 but I'm retaking it on the 20th

Ahh, ok.

You won't be late at that point (per multiple users) for DO cycle. Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

When I spoke with their admissions office they said they have accepted students with 114 or 115 as their lowest. I can't exactly remember, but a 120 is a pretty good score for the AIS. I don't know how have been accepted though, they started it last year.

When I spoke with their admissions office they said they have accepted students with 114 or 115 as their lowest. I can't exactly remember, but a 120 is a pretty good score for the AIS. I don't know how have been accepted though, they started it last year.

Thank you!

Hey SDN fam!!! Who's ready to interview this Friday?!!! I have my flight tomorrow and will be landing in Erie at 11:30 P.M. Anyone else arriving anytime tomorrow?
I am flying there tomorrow too, but I am schedule to land at noon. Also, if anyone is trying to find cheap flight, you can try bidding on priceline. I got round trip ticket from NY to Erie for less than $200.

Anyone interested to hang out before or after the interview, let's plan something.

Reactions: 1 users
I am flying there tomorrow too, but I am schedule to land at noon. Also, if anyone is trying to find cheap flight, you can try bidding on priceline. I got round trip ticket from NY to Erie for less than $200.

Anyone interested to hang out before or after the interview, let's plan something.

I'll message you when I land! What hotel are you staying at? I'm at Days Inn

I'll message you when I land! What hotel are you staying at? I'm at Days Inn
I thought you are landing at night. I have not bought my hotel yet. Still looking for that one. I will PM you once I have it.

+1. Not looking forward to the 7 hour drive there and back. I hope to meet some of you on Friday.

I'll be there at 11:30 am on 8/11 (tomorrow)!

I should get there around 2 - 3 pm! but I am staying at the Comfort Inn lol

Good luck on your interviews this Friday!! If you guys have any questions about the interview or the school/area in general feel free to shoot me a message.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm sure this has been answered, but is the MMI/individual interview open or closed file?

Hi there - is anyone else interested in the three year PCSP? I couldn't find any information when it began or would those starting in 2017 be the first guinea pigs?

I am wondering this in the context of preparing for the boards (COMLEX)/USMLE). I know some schools like SKMC include 2 months of unscheduled time to prep for USME Step 1. I couldn't find this info on LECOM's website, but maybe I didn't look in the right place.

Also, for those who are familiar with the school - how many of the students are pursuing research?

Thanks!

3.6~ish 518~ish complete mid july still waiting for some love here.

I'm sure this has been answered, but is the MMI/individual interview open or closed file?
Without going to specifics, It is two questions and you get to talk for 8min. Doesn't matter how you divide the time. Since they are not chatting, just asking you two direct questions, open or close does not matter

If you have not been selected for an interview (yet/ever), does the LECOM application still say (In Progress)? Or, did the application not get sent?

Guys. LECOM is awesome. Everyone is super friendly, the students were very chatty and seemed to really enjoy the school, and Erie has SO MANY RESTAURANTS.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi there - is anyone else interested in the three year PCSP? I couldn't find any information when it began or would those starting in 2017 be the first guinea pigs?

I am wondering this in the context of preparing for the boards (COMLEX)/USMLE). I know some schools like SKMC include 2 months of unscheduled time to prep for USME Step 1. I couldn't find this info on LECOM's website, but maybe I didn't look in the right place.

Also, for those who are familiar with the school - how many of the students are pursuing research?

Thanks!

All I know is only half their students take USMLE and it doesn't sound so hot either..