Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just one more Q -- will the lack of a reference letter from a DO be detrimental to my application? I live in Canada and it's hard to find one where I live :( Even if I find one to meet and shadow, I'm not sure I could ask for a letter so soon by May when I'm hoping to submit applications.
You can get an interview, like someone else said, but you 100% NEED a DO letter before they will even look at your application in the admissions committee meetings. I personally did not have mine in until after the interview, which they found perfectly acceptable. I didn't have my DO letter in until October and it was fine.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Great! Thanks for your comments, everyone! :) I'll definitely get on finding a DO.

Is being able to get an interview before submitting a DO letter only for LECOM, or are other DO schools flexible with this as well?
I think LECOM is the only school that doesn't require LORs to process your secondary application but many schools don't require a DO letter, just "highly recommend" it.

I think LECOM is the only school that doesn't require LORs to process your secondary application but many schools don't require a DO letter, just "highly recommend" it.

This is partly incomplete, they do not require a D.O. letter for interview or to process your secondary application. However, they do need a D.O. letter if you want to be considered for acceptance. So you can get an interview without a D.O. letter, but they will not accept you without one.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is partly incomplete, they do not require a D.O. letter for interview or to process your secondary application. However, they do need a D.O. letter if you want to be considered for acceptance. So you can get an interview without a D.O. letter, but they will not accept you without one.
I was commenting specifically on whether a DO letter was required before you interview at other schools. I can't think of another school that doesn't require letters with the secondary application so other schools that require a DO LOR will require it before the interview

Hello,

Does anyone know when LECOM starts pulling from the waitlist?

Thanks.

Great! Thanks for your comments, everyone! :) I'll definitely get on finding a DO.

Is being able to get an interview before submitting a DO letter only for LECOM, or are other DO schools flexible with this as well?

Turning it in a DO letter for almost all DO programs won't hurt you if they can write a strong letter for you. But there are schools that highly recommend or even require it for the application to be considered complete, so the earlier you get the letter the better.

Hello,

Does anyone know when LECOM starts pulling from the waitlist?

Thanks.
Looking at last year's thread movement began at the beginning of March. Applicants first noticed a change in their portal that said a decision had been made and then received a letter of acceptance. Also of note the LECOM portal will be down this Wednesday from 8PM-12 AM .. hmmm...

Reactions: 2 users
Looking at last year's thread movement began at the beginning of March. Applicants first noticed a change in their portal that said a decision had been made and then received a letter of acceptance. Also of note the LECOM portal will be down this Wednesday from 8PM-12 AM .. hmmm...

Here's to hoping! May the odds be ever in everyones favor!

Hello everyone! I've been following this thread for a while and I finally decided to join in.

I submitted my secondary on 9/12/14 and got an interview invite on 9/30/14. I decided to hold off on LECOM's interview because I was waiting on some other schools, but when those took too long, I locked in my interview for 1/9/15. My letter was mailed out on 2/12/15 and I received it on 2/16/15.....for the alternate list. Though disappointed it wasn't an acceptance, I'll be pushing for it. I'm working on my letter of intent as we speak. Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.5
sGPA: 3.3
MCAT: 29 (9 VR, 9 PS, 11 BS)
Strong ECs, plenty of volunteering and shadowing, and I've been working in research for the past 2 years.

As I'm preparing my letter of intent, can I ask if you guys would recommend I send it by snail-mail or via email directly to Amy Rowe? Thanks!

Hello everyone! I've been following this thread for a while and I finally decided to join in.

I submitted my secondary on 9/12/14 and got an interview invite on 9/30/14. I decided to hold off on LECOM's interview because I was waiting on some other schools, but when those took too long, I locked in my interview for 1/9/15. My letter was mailed out on 2/12/15 and I received it on 2/16/15.....for the alternate list. Though disappointed it wasn't an acceptance, I'll be pushing for it. I'm working on my letter of intent as we speak. Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.5
sGPA: 3.3
MCAT: 29 (9 VR, 9 PS, 11 BS)
Strong ECs, plenty of volunteering and shadowing, and I've been working in research for the past 2 years.

As I'm preparing my letter of intent, can I ask if you guys would recommend I send it by snail-mail or via email directly to Amy Rowe? Thanks!
Hi Dan, you no doubt have to show them that you actually care about going there. Getting an invite in September and not actually taking the interview until January looks really poor on your part- I can almost guarantee this is why you were waitlisted. PM me if you're interested - I'd be happy to help read your LOI! And send via email (or portal if it's available, but IIRC that's not an option).

Just a heads up if anyone cares (likely not, but whatever!) Deejaymd is now DeejayDO! :D

Reactions: 7 users
Hello,
Has anyone received a decision after a 1/30 interview ?

thanks!

Hello,
Has anyone received a decision after a 1/30 interview ?

thanks!
I interviewed on 1/30. I haven't heard anything yet but I talked to someone in admissions. It looks like they were waiting for the people who they accepted before us to either put down deposits or not. So, then they know how many acceptances they can offer. From what I understand the portal should be updated this week and we should get letters next week. I hope this helps. Hang in there! I am freaking out too!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on 1/30. I haven't heard anything yet but I talked to someone in admissions. It looks like they were waiting for the people who they accepted before us to either put down deposits or not. So, then they know how many acceptances they can offer. From what I understand the portal should be updated this week and we should get letters next week. I hope this helps. Hang in there! I am freaking out too!
Thank you and Good Luck!

For those who have received an interview - any idea on the turnaround from secondary completion to ii? Also, were you notified via email, phone or post? Any info would be appreciated, thank you!!

Haha I kind of feel like that's a bummer for us on the alternate list. Take us!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got invited to interview! I'll be there March 20th. For anyone who has interviewed please let me know what you thought!!

Just got invited to interview! I'll be there March 20th. For anyone who has interviewed please let me know what you thought!!

Congrats. It's a closed file group interview. I got screwed with my interviewers, but it sounds like mostly everyone else had positive experiences. Just be yourself and don't overgun it talking over everyone, but don't say "yeah I agree" etc. Good luck.

How many interview dates are left?

Did anyone on the wait list see a status change on their portal today?

Nope, mine still says I'm on the Alternate List too. Just wondering if anyone's changed after the site was down during the scheduled time Wednesy night. Just hoping for movement of the list lol.

Nope, mine still says I'm on the Alternate List too. Just wondering if anyone's changed after the site was down during the scheduled time Wednesy night. Just hoping for movement of the list lol.
Just IT maintenance. They didn't need to shut down the entire site when they updated you to the waitlist or any other change.

Congrats. It's a closed file group interview. I got screwed with my interviewers, but it sounds like mostly everyone else had positive experiences. Just be yourself and don't overgun it talking over everyone, but don't say "yeah I agree" etc. Good luck.

How many interview dates are left?
Off-topic, but I won't derail too much... do you, by chance, like Children of Bodom? Haha

Off-topic, but I won't derail too much... do you, by chance, like Children of Bodom? Haha

Haha heck yeah. I used to listen to them all time while I was in high school, but it has been awhile, but it's kind of stuck around as my handle. Still love them though.

Haha heck yeah. I used to listen to them all time while I was in high school, but it has been awhile, but it's kind of stuck around as my handle. Still love them though.
Me too! I've seen them live a few times. Some of the best metal shows I've ever been to.

Ok, back on topic:D LECOM!

Haha I kind of feel like that's a bummer for us on the alternate list. Take us!
Ya, I am sure being on the alternate list is really hard. But I am sure they consider you all starting right now for acceptances as well. So don't feel like they are ignoring you at all.

Just got my II yesterday! :soexcited:

For those that have already interviewed, what time did the interview day end? I'm trying to book my flights.
My interiew/ lunch ended around 1:30. Congratulations. I really loved Erie a lot. So if you have any questions or anything let me know!

For those that have already interviewed, what time did the interview day end? I'm trying to book my flights.
I think I left around 1PM or 1:30PM. They provide you lunch and you have access to current students to ask them questions. I left a bit early because all of my questions were answered quickly!

Ya, I am sure being on the alternate list is really hard. But I am sure they consider you all starting right now for acceptances as well. So don't feel like they are ignoring you at all.

Thanks! I hope so. This is my top choice.

Yeah I left early to catch my flight. Around 1pm maybe.

Application completed 11/7
II 2/2
Acceptance 3/2

Good luck, everyone!

Ah!! haha awesome :) And yes, I am attending! My mommy got me a bunch of gear for Christmas, so I can't complain. I'm actually wearing my LECOM shirt right now... lol

what's your MCAT? i am still waiting for a ii.:(

Just got a status change: "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days."
Time to stalk the mailbox. (Interviewed Feb. 6th)

what's your MCAT? i am still waiting for a ii.:(
Just from creepin' on the forums and the DO acceptance thread, it seems as though the LECOM MCAT range (at least for those people on this forum) is 26 - 30, with a few outlying people above a 30.

30+ here with no status change :(
Yeah, I was ONLY commenting on MCAT scoring because someone asked specifically for that. Obviously there's a lot more than goes into your app! Sending you good vibes!

If I'm not accepted, what will I do with the LECOM floss and pen that I was given at an info session?
Haha! I still wear a KCUMB shirt I got on interview day even though I decided to withdraw my application from that school. It's a good shirt!

Reactions: 2 users