Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would you say that people who's portal changes first has a greater chance of being accepted? Wasn't sure if as they have people decline acceptances or withdraw if they have the openings in the class and then change portals and accept? Saw someone posted that they had a portal change interviewing on the 13th to "under review" and a few others from the first week in November have yet to receive a portal change?

Members don't see this ad.

Would you say that people who's portal changes first has a greater chance of being accepted? Wasn't sure if as they have people decline acceptances or withdraw if they have the openings in the class and then change portals and accept? Saw someone posted that they had a portal change interviewing on the 13th to "under review" and a few others from the first week in November have yet to receive a portal change?

I think the only portal change that really matters is when they say a decision has been made. Don't stress about the timing too much, I would think it changes when they send out the letters and they send out letters at different times. My letter was sent later than others with the same interview date but was still an acceptance! Good luck!

Accepted DSP just now via snail mail!!

Secondary Submitted: 7/29
II: 8/12
Interview: 8/28
Chose deferred decsion because I had several II and wanted to have a chance to choose. Ranked DSP first.

LizzyM = 61

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted DSP just now via snail mail!!

Secondary Submitted: 7/29
II: 8/12
Interview: 8/28
Chose deferred decsion because I had several II and wanted to have a chance to choose. Ranked DSP first.

LizzyM = 61
Congratulations! I think my LizzyM is somewhere around 69, so that should be a good match I hope, don't you think?

Congratulations! I think my LizzyM is somewhere around 69, so that should be a good match I hope, don't you think?

I have no idea. If you look back in the thread there were people rejected with much higher stats than me. I don't think that it's all they care about. If you get an interview then they are interested in you.

Reactions: 1 user
1st year DSP student here

All we get for each class is a Module- list of objectives to guide our study and textbooks. Depending on the professors for each class, you will also get supplemental materials that will be posted on the portal to supplement your study- these can be anything from Podcasts, case studies, mini study-guides, diagrams or even ppt lectures they use to teach the LDP kids. 90% of your study will be done by reading the book. If you are not big on reading medical textbooks then DSP might not work for you. You will need to read the textbooks and supplemental materials to answer the questions in the Module and make your own study materials. It sounds hard but it really isn't. There are board review books for you to use, youtube videos etc. The same way you will be studying for the boards essentially. Nobody is going to give you power points to study from for the COMLEX or USMLE

For my DSP/PCSP class, people form groups to work on the module and study together, the people in these groups divide up the objectives among themselves and typically finish the entire module within 2, 3 days. That way, the bigger the groups, the fewer objectives you will be responsible for and have to read from the book. After the module is done, they just study from the module and do practice questions to prep for the exam.

I do not know much about PBL. But case studies are not all that's cracked up to be. Is it the up and coming thing in medical education? There are plenty of clinical cases in the book that you can read about if you want clinical scenarios.

DSP and LDP students do not take exams together. LDP students take multiple classes at the same time. DSP students work on 1 subject at a time. The 2 schedules do not coincide besides the OPP and doctoring classes. We cover pretty much the same stuff.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I mentioned this before and I am going to mention it again: it is super easy to switch from DSP to LDP but not the other way around. People from LDP wanting to switch into DSP have to be interviewed by the pathway director and there must be spots available. Some people cope well with sitting in lectures for 4-6 hours a day, others don't. Find what works for you and stick with that.

How much time are you on campus every day? Are there days where you aren't there at all? I'm not saying I don't want to go to campus, just wondering what it is actually like. Is it the same as LDP but minus 4-6 hours/day on campus, or do you stay there anyway?

I have no idea. If you look back in the thread there were people rejected with much higher stats than me. I don't think that it's all they care about. If you get an interview then they are interested in you.
Already interviewed. Now it's just the interminable wait.

Second years at Seton Hill had a 3 hour lecture this morning and have our OMM final tomorrow, so sorry if we weren't as friendly as usual this morning, interviewees. You guys looked great!

Second years at Seton Hill had a 3 hour lecture this morning and have our OMM final tomorrow, so sorry if we weren't as friendly as usual this morning, interviewees. You guys looked great!
Could I possibly send you a pm with some questions? I interviewed this morning but was unable to get some answers from the faculty and student who took us on the tour.

Could I possibly send you a pm with some questions? I interviewed this morning but was unable to get some answers from the faculty and student who took us on the tour.

Absolutely- I probably won't get back to you until later this week, and won't promise I'll know more than the tour guide, but I'm always open to PMs.

Edited to add detail

Last edited:
Interviewed here yesterday (SH) and I must say I am very, very impressed. The environment is great, everyone was friendly, but just as important honest and upfront. I believe that PBL is the right fit for me, and i really liked how we were told the strengths and weaknesses of the system. I would love attending here!... Now all we gotta do is wait this endless 30 days out

Reactions: 2 users
How long has everyone waited for their letter after portal change? I thought that students have said that they draw up and send out the letter once your portal changes, but this might not be true considering I have had a portal change for over a week now and still haven't received a letter :( It's just so agonizing walking to the mailbox every day thinking that it could be the day cause people post on here that they received mail (who had their portal change on the same day as me) only to see no mail...I'm sure some people on here can relate, lol!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I interview on Friday, and I was wondering what "happens" if not everything on the checklist (namely the letters of rec), are not checked off on the portal by that time? I'm a little nervous about my letters since they aren't from HARD sciences professors - just from a neuro-heavy psychology course and a biomedical psych research lab. My university doesn't have a pre-health committee, so I was planning on substituting another letter for that requirement.

Am I doomed? A little doomed?

Has anyone who interviewed in early or mid November heard or had their portal change? Also has anyone received an acceptance/waitlist/rejection in the mail without having their portal change? Just wondering.

I interview on Friday, and I was wondering what "happens" if not everything on the checklist (namely the letters of rec), are not checked off on the portal by that time? I'm a little nervous about my letters since they aren't from HARD sciences professors - just from a neuro-heavy psychology course and a biomedical psych research lab. My university doesn't have a pre-health committee, so I was planning on substituting another letter for that requirement.

Am I doomed? A little doomed?
They told us not to worry. At the end of the day, you'll be able to step into the Student Affairs office and check on anything that might be missing or that they just haven't gotten around to checking off on your list.

Has anyone who interviewed in early or mid November heard or had their portal change? Also has anyone received an acceptance/waitlist/rejection in the mail without having their portal change? Just wondering.
I interviewed 19 November, and no portal change for me other than "Thank you for interviewing." I have seen on this forum that it's changed to "Under review" again and they got a letter at that point. I think I also remember a post from someone who said they got a letter and it still said thank you on the portal.

How long has everyone waited for their letter after portal change? I thought that students have said that they draw up and send out the letter once your portal changes, but this might not be true considering I have had a portal change for over a week now and still haven't received a letter :( It's just so agonizing walking to the mailbox every day thinking that it could be the day cause people post on here that they received mail (who had their portal change on the same day as me) only to see no mail...I'm sure some people on here can relate, lol!
Just throwing this out there: it also depends on your local postal service, where the distribution center is, versus how they get mail, etc.

How much time are you on campus every day? Are there days where you aren't there at all? I'm not saying I don't want to go to campus, just wondering what it is actually like. Is it the same as LDP but minus 4-6 hours/day on campus, or do you stay there anyway?
It varies. Some weeks we have to be on campus more than we would like to, but still a lot less than LDP. Some weeks, we only need to come in for (1) OPP lecture at 8 am on Wednesday (2) H and P lab Tuesday afternoon (3) OPP lab Thursday afternoon (4) DSP meetings for the course that we are currently doing
For example, this week we got Monday, Tuesday completely off (don't have to be on campus at all) Wednesday (OPP lecture at 8am then Microbiology lab til 12) Thursday-OPP lab from 1 to 2:30pm and Friday Micro exam at 8 am.
Hope that helps!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know LECOM's policy on post-interview thank-you notes? Guessing snail mail since they send out decisions that way...

Interviewed here yesterday (SH) and I must say I am very, very impressed. The environment is great, everyone was friendly, but just as important honest and upfront. I believe that PBL is the right fit for me, and i really liked how we were told the strengths and weaknesses of the system. I would love attending here!... Now all we gotta do is wait this endless 30 days out

I also interviewed Monday! I think we all did well, hopefully. Shoot me a PM!

Anyone know LECOM's policy on post-interview thank-you notes? Guessing snail mail since they send out decisions that way...

No official policy. A faculty member told my PBL group that decisions have usually been made by the time thank-you notes get to his desk, so it's probably futile, but in my personal opinion, a nice gesture is never a bad idea.

You interviewed in mid-October and you're just now getting a portal change?
They told us 30 days also
But when I talked to admissions 2 weeks ago they said they were still in progress of making final decisions on sept interviews still!!

It varies. Some weeks we have to be on campus more than we would like to, but still a lot less than LDP. Some weeks, we only need to come in for (1) OPP lecture at 8 am on Wednesday (2) H and P lab Tuesday afternoon (3) OPP lab Thursday afternoon (4) DSP meetings for the course that we are currently doing
For example, this week we got Monday, Tuesday completely off (don't have to be on campus at all) Wednesday (OPP lecture at 8am then Microbiology lab til 12) Thursday-OPP lab from 1 to 2:30pm and Friday Micro exam at 8 am.
Hope that helps!

Very helpful picture! Thank you.

I have faced the facts that I will never hear back from LECOM. Evvveerrr. But congrats to everyone who has!!! :)

No official policy. A faculty member told my PBL group that decisions have usually been made by the time thank-you notes get to his desk, so it's probably futile, but in my personal opinion, a nice gesture is never a bad idea.

I'm not expecting a thank-you note to get me accepted, I just want to be professional and kind.

During the interviews, do they ask you if you have applied to allopathic schools and/or any other DO schools? Just wondering if they do and if so, if it would be unfavorable to answer yes to that type of question

During the interviews, do they ask you if you have applied to allopathic schools and/or any other DO schools? Just wondering if they do and if so, if it would be unfavorable to answer yes to that type of question

No and no

Still no change in portal, but then again, if September peeps aren't hearing anything until now, hello January.

Interviewed 11/20. Anyone else see any portal changes yet?

interviews on 11/16 and my portal is the same as well. anyone from the early November group have changes in their portal?

I got WL a while back. Does anyone know if they are receptive to post II updates, and if they pull people off the list throughout the cycle or all at once at the end? Thanks

Just got my II 2/11/2016. Yey how exciting.

Looks like they skipped me for an interview.
Secondary submit: 11/12
LizzyM=63
No portal change D:

Looks like they skipped me for an interview.
Secondary submit: 11/12
LizzyM=63
No portal change D:
Maybe.. They might order from MCAT high to low and pick from the highest first.
I've seen this trend at a couple of other schools.. Some applicants get an II really fast after submitted/being complete based on their MCAT.

Maybe.. They might order from MCAT high to low and pick from the highest first.
I've seen this trend at a couple of other schools.. Some applicants get an II really fast after submitted/being complete based on their MCAT.
Bummer

What is the split in your score? Is it close to a 50-50 or closer to a 75-25? I mean, is it likr a 3.2 GPA and a 32 MCAT, or like a 3.9 and a 24?
Btw both these cases would be competitive, but ive heard about schools going for something closer to an even split

What is the split in your score? Is it close to a 50-50 or closer to a 75-25? I mean, is it likr a 3.2 GPA and a 32 MCAT, or like a 3.9 and a 24?
Btw both these cases would be competitive, but ive heard about schools going for something closer to an even split
Mine is closer to 50-50 split I think. 3.5gpa, 28 MCAT. My MCAT is a bit uneven though.. I guess it just depends on what the schools prioritize as their preference.

For those who have put down a deposit, do you have to send a check or will they take a card on the phone or through the portal?

For those who have put down a deposit, do you have to send a check or will they take a card on the phone or through the portal?

I think you have to mail the check, that's what I did. I sent mine through UPS to make sure they got it in time because I got fairly close to the deadline

Yes but its a special kind of check, they tell you how they want it but I had to go the post office and fill out a form. Its basically meant so you have proof you sent the check and once its received they have to sign it so you'll also have proof it was received.