LECOM Erie Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I get accepted at Erie maybe we can work something out with admissions about a possible trade?

Members don't see this ad.

:laugh: you never know. I remember reading in another thread about someone who got accepted to both, and had already put down the deposit for one, but they let them transfer it. i know i would rather go to bradenton... but they rejected me. i dont understand it, at one campus im a top choice.. at the other.. i was a last :confused:

i emailed amy rowe about it. im not sure if i should email linda (the seton hill coordinator) or if she would get offended

Last edited:
Just got the acceptance call from seton hill! yahhhaa! I asked them about Erie and they said "we dont have any spots left, for any pathway" not sure how to take that, but if there was a way to make it work, im sure he have tried. If any of you that paid the deposit for erie want to do a hot swap, let me know! From the looks of it its possible to switch between those two if there are spots, im not so sure about bradenton, as they have their own admissions

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the acceptance call from seton hill! yahhhaa! I asked them about Erie and they said "we dont have any spots left, for any pathway" not sure how to take that, but if there was a way to make it work, im sure he have tried. If any of you that paid the deposit for erie want to do a hot swap, let me know! From the looks of it its possible to switch between those two if there are spots, im not so sure about bradenton, as they have their own admissions

Congrats on your acceptance!

I called and they said for any transfer between Bradenton and Erie, you have to be accepted at both first.

Just spoke to Jamie in admissions and he said that the waitlist saw a lot of movement in the past week or so and they expect more movement over the coming weeks. Anyone here get pulled off the waitlist?

And I noticed some of the people who interviewed after me (April 14th) got accepted straight away. Our interview group was told that the class was full and we were interviewing for a waitlist position. I found that a little disheartening.

Fingers crossed for myself and everyone on the waitlist, let's hope it moves like it did last year when 90% of the waitlist matriculated.

Fingers crossed for myself and everyone on the waitlist, let's hope it moves like it did last year when 90% of the waitlist matriculated.

90%? dayuuumm I dont see why they couldnt move me from wait list to the other then!

I just got accepted off the waitlist. So i am sure that the list is starting to move.

I just got accepted off the waitlist. So i am sure that the list is starting to move.

Congrats! Mind me asking when did you interview? How did they contact you for your acceptance? And what your stats were? Sorry for all the questions..I'm anxious ha.

So I just got an email saying "I will put you on the waitlist for erie" from amy rowe. I asked her about transferring my acceptance from seton hill to erie and thats what she said. That sounds pretty promising to me, so long as I dont lose my place in the process! :eek:

Last edited:
So I just got an email saying "I will put you on the waitlist for erie" from amy rowe. I asked her about transferring my acceptance from seton hill to erie and thats what she said. That sounds pretty promising to me, so long as I dont lose my place in the process! :eek:

Hey, good luck on the transfer! Do you mind telling me Amy Rowe's e-mail?

Sure, np,its [email protected]

Thanks! I'm pretty sure it will work out if that 90% statistic is correct. I just don't know whether to start making matriculation and housing plans in Greensburg yet!

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew from Erie LDP. Hope this helps one of you :)

Ahahah she just offered it to me! I was really looking forward to PBL, but I'm thinking I'm about to take it... It seems like the safer way. The seton hill campus is gorgeous but its just not developed enough for me.

For anybody wondering, this is from the admissions office: a bit over 100 people still on the waitlist, and (this was a guess, not official numbers) approx. 30 have been taken off the list.

Do you know if there were still any spots on the acceptance list, or was it full?

The rep gave me a guess of about 30 people taken off the list. That's all I heard. I'd assume that since interviews have concluded, they are always at the max class size until people start withdrawing. It's a huge class size, though (between all the pathways and SH), so if they are already 30something deep by mid-May, I'll bet that a lot more acceptances will be sent out.

Ahahah she just offered it to me! I was really looking forward to PBL, but I'm thinking I'm about to take it... It seems like the safer way. The seton hill campus is gorgeous but its just not developed enough for me.

Do you mind sharing your stats/interview date?

Do you mind sharing your stats/interview date?

no prob, I was a real late applicant actually. I couldnt take the MCAT till jan, but got a 10P, 8V, 11B =29Q. I applied to erie and bradenton along with pcom and vcom. The last two were already full, but erie and bradenton gave me interviews the 17th and 23rd of april. Bradenton rejected me like 20 minutes after I left, I dont know why. But I had a terrific interview at seton hill, so they put me on the top of their waitlist. I was a biochem major at uconn this last year with a 3.2c, 3.1s, 3.4non. a little low, but it was cause I took the most difficult class for every science branch. i also had 200 hours of research/DO shadowing, 200 hours of EMT, and lifeguarding, eagle scout. and and a letter from a biochem prof, dual letter with MD/biochem professor, and an amazing DO letter. I think it was the DO letter and interview that made them love me so much. but as to the reason for bradentons enthusiasm to reject me, i have no idea lol

Long time reader, first time poster

I'm in an interesting position. I got waitlisted at Seton Hill about a week after my interview in April. I've gotten two emails saying im high up on the waitlist and "there is a high chance I will be notified for acceptance before july 1st" and they sent me all of the seton hill matriculation paperwork to complete. Im really pumped for this! However, I decided that although I love PBL I really want to go to the erie campus (any pathway really). It really about being in the larger campus, and I want to have access to the cadavers too. Do you think they will let me switch this late in the game? I sent them an email, they haven't gotten back to me yet.

Congrats on your acceptances! I also interviewed at Seton Hill in April and was placed on the waiting list. And then I received those two emails you mentioned in your post. They sounded very promising but I guess I don't want to get my hopes up for nothing. Do you think everyone on the waiting/alternate list received those emails too?

Congrats on your acceptances! I also interviewed at Seton Hill in April and was placed on the waiting list. And then I received those two emails you mentioned in your post. They sounded very promising but I guess I don't want to get my hopes up for nothing. Do you think everyone on the waiting/alternate list received those emails too?

Thanks! Which date? I think I was the 16th/17th or something. I think if you got that email you have a very good chance. You should probs start getting ready, just in case. Especially FAFSA.

I've read on here what someone thought, and i think they are right that they divide the list into different groups, say.. Group A which probs all will be chosen, Group B, some will, and it sucks for group C.

I called admissions today and he said only a small handful have been accepted off the waitlist but expects it to pick up in the next few weeks. Fingers crossed. :)

Ps I also got that email that stated "strong chance of acceptance" and whatnot, and received the matriculation paperwork. I also asked about this, and the representative explained that this email is only sent to the stronger candidates and is not a general email to the waitlist for whoever was wondering about it.

I haven't received any kind of email (or letter, for that matter). I interviewed May 11. I did call the school today and am sending updates in case I am on the waitlist. Hoping updates would help me!

Good luck to everyone waiting!

Last edited:
I also interviewed on may 11 and just received a wait list letter today.

Thanks! Which date? I think I was the 16th/17th or something. I think if you got that email you have a very good chance. You should probs start getting ready, just in case. Especially FAFSA.

I've read on here what someone thought, and i think they are right that they divide the list into different groups, say.. Group A which probs all will be chosen, Group B, some will, and it sucks for group C.

My interview was on Tuesday, April 17... maybe we were in the same interview group? I was in a similar situation to you, applied in late January and only heard back from LECOM. Hopefully, I'll hear back from them soon or I'll have to fill out the AACOMAS application again.. sigh.

Good luck to everyone else on the wait list!

My interview was on Tuesday, April 17... maybe we were in the same interview group? I was in a similar situation to you, applied in late January and only heard back from LECOM. Hopefully, I'll hear back from them soon or I'll have to fill out the AACOMAS application again.. sigh.

Good luck to everyone else on the wait list!

what a coincidence. i sat in the front during the pbl demo, i was reading the slides, semi-long brown hair. blue eyes, in a black suit.

does anyone know if the PBL list is still open? i confirmed LDP with amy but I have been reading horror stories on some of the other threads about how much people hate LDP.
I really dont want to piss her off, but is there any harm in asking?

Last edited:
Assuming you don't say something abrasive like "I heard LDP sucks, any chance there are still spots in PBL"I think there is definitely no harm in asking. Actually my understanding from current students is that you can always waitlist to switch to PBL or DSP (even during first year) but there are definitely limited spots so you want to request that ASAP. I also applied late (interviewed April 20), was accepted to LDP but that's definitely my learning style so no complaints!

I asked her. Might as well give it a shot, thanks for the advice!

My birthday is today, (I turned 22 on the 22nd.) and I received a letter of acceptance from LECOM Erie! The only productive thing I did tonight was FedEx the signed letter to admissions to hold my spot. I put LDP as my first choice (got it) and PBL as my second.

If you have any questions on my stats, ask me, and I will be more than glad to help!

I hope good news comes for you SDN-ers soon!

My birthday is today, (I turned 22 on the 22nd.) and I received a letter of acceptance from LECOM Erie! The only productive thing I did tonight was FedEx the signed letter to admissions to hold my spot. I put LDP as my first choice (got it) and PBL as my second.

If you have any questions on my stats, ask me, and I will be more than glad to help!

What an awesome birthday gift! I bet its one of your top favorites? haha.

You mind sharing your stats and interview date? Also, did you get an e-mail saying you are likely to be accepted attached to matriculation papers?

Congrats once again!

Thats awesome, I wonder if they planned that on your birthday....lol my bday is tomorrow...hopefully I'll get a present from lecom as well

If I have any advice for you, it is to stay away from LECOM. I graduated from this school two years ago and they provided the worst clinical education. It is more about quantity of students rather than quality output of physicians. When I first visited this school, like many of you I didn't have the foresight to think about clinical education. This first two pre-clinical years are okay and it is not even a big deal to have to dress up every day. That being said, you are a number to them. They treat you like you are a little kid and are completely condescending. The deans will not know your name unless you get on their bad side. When you enter clinical education, nobody at that school knows whether or not you are alive because nobody checks in to see how your learning is coming along or if you are progressing as a student doctor. My thought process when applying and accepting a position at this school, was cheap tuition, close to my home and doesn't seem like too bad a place. I found out why the tuition is so cheap. In my third year of medical school at LECOM, my first 7 rotations were in 5 different cities/hospitals. Talk about fragmented education, there is something to be said about professionals and staff available to help you grow as a physician and really take ownership of your medical education. People will say ignore posts like this one and to make your own decisions, LECOM was the worst thing that has ever happened to me and that is an understatement. So you listen to what you want, but I don't want future colleagues of mine to go down the path I did. LECOM is enrolling mass amounts of residents at their own profit. Talk about lack of research. There is something called CORE which OhioU is part of that gives its medical student4s research opportunities. LECOM would not join this program at the mere cost of 1 million dollars when it enrolls about 300 students per class in Erie alone. It is a joke. I can give you 500 other reasons why this school is nothing but a fraud and any medical educators that have dealt with clinical education at this school would concur.

I interviewed here may 11 (last day of interviews, because I applied last minute) and was directly placed on the acceptance. No phone call, no email, just a letter. Weird, because I always pictured getting a phone call. This is my only acceptance. I'm waitlisted at two other schools, including Bradenton. I would switch to Bradenton in a heartbeat, because then I don't have to suddenly learn how to survive outside of south Florida (and the school is also smaller). I know the test scores are good here, but I just hope I don't have to change cities five times in one year for rotations, because I rarely travel as it is.
For those who are curious, my stats: 3.6 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, 28Q MCAT (10V/10B/8P).

I've lurked on this LECOM '11-'12 discussion since I interviewed and was waitlisted in Nov 2011. My stats are 30S, cGPA 3.2 (2.8 ug, 3.7 grad), sGPA 2.8, western PA, white, female, top 25 school for both ug and grad.
Accepted at two DO programs (didn't get into DO or MD last year, only applied DO this year), deposit is in at PCOM. I feel like I will get in (re: 90% WL acceptance mentioned above), I still really want to go here for the primary care scholars program or PBL - I like the $30K pricepoint and minimal cost of living of Erie.

However, slowly falling out of love with LECOM due to cadet20 and others hating on the rotations and lack of civil liberties while on campus... PM me some guidance, I spend much too much time wanting this school that's arguably worse that my backup plan.

I will be withdrawing today. I wasn't accepted, but I hope this moves somebody up the list!

I've lurked on this LECOM '11-'12 discussion since I interviewed and was waitlisted in Nov 2011. My stats are 30S, cGPA 3.2 (2.8 ug, 3.7 grad), sGPA 2.8, western PA, white, female, top 25 school for both ug and grad.
Accepted at two DO programs (didn't get into DO or MD last year, only applied DO this year), deposit is in at PCOM. I feel like I will get in (re: 90% WL acceptance mentioned above), I still really want to go here for the primary care scholars program or PBL - I like the $30K pricepoint and minimal cost of living of Erie.

However, slowly falling out of love with LECOM due to cadet20 and others hating on the rotations and lack of civil liberties while on campus... PM me some guidance, I spend much too much time wanting this school that's arguably worse that my backup plan.

OMSII, well almost OMSIII, in just a few days.... I went to Seton Hill, so take this for what it's worth...
From what I understand, if you want less grief... stay away from Erie! Everything is 10X worse at Erie. Addressing complaints of other people.... The grass is always greener. 90% of what is continually complained about on here people knew up front. Dress code, ID badge, no food/drink. People come on, no one likes it but you knew this when you signed up. As for his comments on clin ed... Obviously I haven't finished that but again from what I have seen... I personally have not a had a single rotation dropped... however I know of people who have had 7 or 8 dropped and we haven't even started yet. I think it is very person to person to dependent. And my understanding is it can also be difficult to remedy these situations when they occur. I'm guessing that the difficulty is partly due to a) communication all by e-mail and/or phone and b) there are <5 people trying to take care of nearly 800 people on rotations... so I think we could be a little more understanding. I would also say that rotation selection is a student run process that clin ed has pretty much has nothing to do with, because they don't want to. And their stance on it is, that if they have to get involved, no one will choose anything, and they will just pick for us.
As for the complaints about no one caring how each student is doing... I would say it is what you make of it. If you feel you're doing poorly, and you approach someone about help, at least here at Seton Hill, you would get it. But no one is going to come ask you after every test how you are doing. For the love of god, this is medical school, there is no hand-holding, and there shouldn't be. You are going to be a doctor. You are expected to be responsible for yourself, and ask for help when you need it.

The only other thing I would say is, if you want PBL or DSP, then LECOM is about your only choice, and I'd say all the rules, etc are worth it/bearable. If you want LDP, I'd go somewhere else.

If you want LDP, I'd go somewhere else.
...where attendance isn't mandatory. Because more times than not, you'll find you're stuck sitting through hours worth of mundane lectures when you could have blasted through them on your own in half the time and had the leftover to study for boards. Just my two cents.

Just seems like a warning sign when they need to pull so heavily from the wait list. Can't say the school impressed me much. I cant really give an accurate opinion of the school because I merely interviewed there, but during that day I quickly realized it was not the school for me. Not only that, when I was finished with the interview (which must have gone worse than I thought), I feel like the interviewers missed the main points of my responses. It seems like all of their questions were leading questions where they expected one of two responses, one that they expect which they want, and one they expect that they didnt wany. If you deviated from the two expected responses, it didnt seem to go over very well with them (not saying I outsmarted them or anything along those lines, merely I gave a different take on a very debatable topic). But hey, maybe I just wasnt as good as I thought. Either way, they sent me a letter saying I was rejected and they were no longer considering my application, but then the very next day I got a letter saying that I was on the alternate list. Made really no sense to me.

My stats were: 10 10 10 (30Q) with a 3.7 gpa.

But at least I got into my school of choice.

Last edited:
Just seems like a warning sign when they need to pull so heavily from the wait list. Can't say the school impressed me much. I cant really give an accurate opinion of the school because I merely interviewed there, but during that day I quickly realized it was not the school for me. Not only that, when I was finished with the interview (which must have gone worse than I thought), I feel like the interviewers missed the main points of my responses. It seems like all of their questions were leading questions where they expected one of two responses, one that they expect which they want, and one they expect that they didnt wany. If you deviated from the two expected responses, it didnt seem to go over very well with them (not saying I outsmarted them or anything along those lines, merely I gave a different take on a very debatable topic). But hey, maybe I just wasnt as good as I thought. Either way, they sent me a letter saying I was rejected and they were no longer considering my application, but then the very next day I got a letter saying that I was on the alternate list. Made really no sense to me.

My stats were: 10 10 10 (30Q) with a 3.7 gpa.

But at least I got into my school of choice.

LECOM seems really strange with their waitlist - as in, they tend to waitlist a lot of people, even and maybe especially those with really good academic stats. I talked with a current resident who was waitlisted at LECOM but accepted at PCOM (where he attended) and others. I think to a large degree they want people who they feel will be a good fit with their program (rules and all). That's likely what they are trying to get at with their interview questions.

LECOM seems really strange with their waitlist - as in, they tend to waitlist a lot of people, even and maybe especially those with really good academic stats. I talked with a current resident who was waitlisted at LECOM but accepted at PCOM (where he attended) and others. I think to a large degree they want people who they feel will be a good fit with their program (rules and all). That's likely what they are trying to get at with their interview questions.

Well they succeeded in that regard, the school really wasn't a place for me.

If I have any advice for you, it is to stay away from LECOM. I graduated from this school two years ago and they provided the worst clinical education. It is more about quantity of students rather than quality output of physicians. When I first visited this school, like many of you I didn't have the foresight to think about clinical education. This first two pre-clinical years are okay and it is not even a big deal to have to dress up every day. That being said, you are a number to them. They treat you like you are a little kid and are completely condescending. The deans will not know your name unless you get on their bad side. When you enter clinical education, nobody at that school knows whether or not you are alive because nobody checks in to see how your learning is coming along or if you are progressing as a student doctor. My thought process when applying and accepting a position at this school, was cheap tuition, close to my home and doesn't seem like too bad a place. I found out why the tuition is so cheap. In my third year of medical school at LECOM, my first 7 rotations were in 5 different cities/hospitals. Talk about fragmented education, there is something to be said about professionals and staff available to help you grow as a physician and really take ownership of your medical education. People will say ignore posts like this one and to make your own decisions, LECOM was the worst thing that has ever happened to me and that is an understatement. So you listen to what you want, but I don't want future colleagues of mine to go down the path I did. LECOM is enrolling mass amounts of residents at their own profit. Talk about lack of research. There is something called CORE which OhioU is part of that gives its medical student4s research opportunities. LECOM would not join this program at the mere cost of 1 million dollars when it enrolls about 300 students per class in Erie alone. It is a joke. I can give you 500 other reasons why this school is nothing but a fraud and any medical educators that have dealt with clinical education at this school would concur.

I'm always skeptical of folks with only 3 posts to their screen name who come on here in order to bash a school. Regarding the bolded statement, you come off as a bit soft and/or overly dramatic. "The worst thing that has ever happened" to you? :laugh: Weak.

I agree. It also reminds me of the strange game-theory paperwork from the interview day: if you(the candidate) fill out a form, they would hold off on reviewing your application, which would allow you more time to interview elsewhere, without having to make a big deposit at LECOM. It just lets people declare, "I bet I'll get into your school, but I have other options" - I can not think of any situation where that would help either the candidate or the institution. I didn't sign this form.

Also, it seems like LECOM is one of the only schools interviewing well into May, perhaps catching all of the students that applied DO as an afterthought to the MD cycle.

Oh, maybe it's not meant to be.

Agreed - "worst thing that ever happened to me" sounds like a warning sign. Seriously? You made it through and are a doctor now, I guarantee it could have been worse. Also, some things sound outdated - I believe there are a handful of places you can to clin ed without switching location now and there are definitely research options available currently.