Let's end this debate: Harvard vs Hopkins vs WashU best medical school in USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grindtime1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of these three monster schools is THE best medical school in the country?

I'm not talking about "research" or any of that. What I'm talking about is the most difficult to get into or the one with the best stats.

For example, I'm surprised to see WashU never ranked #1 when it's tied with Northwestern (Feinberg) for highest median MCAT at 37.

To add to that point, I'm surprised Northwestern is never in the top 10 even though it's tied for the highest median MCAT.

Which is the best medical school in America?

Members don't see this ad.

EDIT: My bad with median MCATs.

WashU is actually all alone at #1 with a freaking 38 median MCAT. Unreal!!!

Then there's like a 5 way tie for second with Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, Hopkins, Harvard.

Can we say WashU is the #1 medical school in the USA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well WashU has the highest average stats. But that doesn't equate it to being the "best medical school in the country", IMO.

Wow, hanging out with a student body with 38 median MCAT and going to school in St.Louis must be super fun!

I'm not talking about "research" or any of that. What I'm talking about is the most difficult to get into or the one with the best stats.

For example, I'm surprised to see WashU never ranked #1 when it's tied with Northwestern (Feinberg) for highest median MCAT at 37.

To add to that point, I'm surprised Northwestern is never in the top 10 even though it's tied for the highest median MCAT.

Using your criteria, I would argue Stanford and you didn't even list it as a possibility.

To answer the OP's question: whichever one lets me in.

UCLA - best med school everrr.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Whether or not you want to admit it, one of these 3 schools is the best in the US.

I'm saying you can make a case for Johns Hopkins, Harvard or WashU.

I also say Northwestern (Feinberg) is grossly underrated as it's tied for the second best median MCAT with an absurd 37.

WashU's got a strong case for #1.

what? disrespect. How about the caribbean schools? I haven't even heard of 2 of the three schools you listed....only that harvard school sounds remotely familiar. Oh well..:oops:

I'm not one to be rude on a message board, but....

Way to have no freaking clue what you are talking about. The values that you are citing are the median scores of the students ACCEPTED, not matriculated. The average score of a MATRICULANT at Harvard is a 36, Washu I believe is a 37.5ish. Basically, saying that Northwestern is the best school because it accepts the students with the highest MCAT scores means nothing if said students don't actually choose to go there.

Also, your assumption that the three schools with the highest MCAT averages are the best schools is pretty weak. Best schools at doing what? Teaching? Getting their name brand out there? Attracting students with high MCAT scores? WashU has the highest "stats" of any medical school, but that doesn't mean that its the hardest to get into (in fact, it has one of the highest acceptance rates of any of the top 10). The fact that you think that stats are enough is an obvious sign that you haven't gone through the application process and don't really know much about it. It is the whole package that makes you competive, and it is the best overall packages that help you get into the most competitive medical schools. If it was just about MCAT scores, there are enough 3.8+ GPA and 39+ MCAT applicants to fill John Hopkins' and Harvard's classes. The fact that this doesn't occur should tell you something.

Last edited:
Metallica, that is by far the worst avatar I have ever seen :laugh:. Now I really hope the Gators get you all. :)

Well, thank you.

bow.gif

Whether or not you want to admit it, one of these 3 schools is the best in the US.

I'm saying you can make a case for Johns Hopkins, Harvard or WashU.

I also say Northwestern (Feinberg) is grossly underrated as it's tied for the second best median MCAT with an absurd 37.

WashU's got a strong case for #1.

Who cares. In my opinion the difference between the schools is minimal when it comes to materials you learn. If you are lucky to be accepted in more than one school, go to the school that you think will offer you the opportunity to become the best physician you can be. It is not all about numbers like you are trying to make it to be. Enough with these ranking posts.

i have to say. i interviewed at washu and the students were amazing. cream of the crop and totally down to earth. i look forward to the rest of my interviews. i am sure that there must be many more great (in such terms) out there.

I wish I had thought of having bleargh's avatar, genius! Instead I have to refer to his avatar for my reaction.

...ridiculous thread.

none of the above.....

Princeton SOM, of course.

I dunno, Notre Dame Medical School is shooting up the rankings lately. Plus, Princeton didn't even send me a secondary.

Princeton, like the rest of the nation, is in love with Mr. Tebow. Your flagrant disregard for Mr. Tebow's health status infuriated several members of Princeton's admissions committee. :laugh:

I've been accepted, Metallica. Don't hate.
They're so good, Princeton dosen't adhere to Oct. 15th date. They accept whenever they want. 37 MCAT median for WashU? Puleazzz.....42T median at Princeton.
Straight bawlin...

On another note, did you know they're installing a Macdonalds at the Louvre?

The average score of a MATRICULANT at Harvard is a 36, Washu I believe is a 37.5ish.
Good points all around but average matric at Wash U I believe is 36-36.5, and at Harvard it is 35.13. There is generally a 1-3 point spread between median accepted and mean matriculated.

I've been accepted, Metallica. Don't hate.
They're so good, Princeton dosen't adhere to Oct. 15th date. They accept whenever they want. 37 MCAT median for WashU? Puleazzz.....42T median at Princeton.
Straight bawlin...

Screw that...Community College School of Medicine is where it's at. Dirt cheap and only takes 2 years.

Screw that...Community College School of Medicine is where it's at. Dirt cheap and only takes 2 years.

With those lofty goals, you will be a horrible doctor. Book it.

I'm emailing Princeton's adcom tomorrow to see if I can donate a building to get in. Should work, right?

With those lofty goals, you will be a horrible doctor. Book it.

I'm emailing Princeton's adcom tomorrow to see if I can donate a building to get in. Should work, right?
There's an interesting school of though. "Hey, if I donate an entire medical college to your university... can I be admitted to the college that I donate?" lol

There's an interesting school of though. "Hey, if I donate an entire medical college to your university... can I be admitted to the college that I donate?" lol

That should work provided you could also staff it and head the accreditation plans, etc. Why not? Go for it. I'll let you know how it works out in about 10 yrs...

That should work provided you could also staff it and head the accreditation plans, etc. Why not? Go for it. I'll let you know how it works out in about 10 yrs...
Sweeeeeet. I may just have to help you out and donate a building so my son/daughter can go there, lol ;)

Good points all around but average matric at Wash U I believe is 36-36.5, and at Harvard it is 35.13. There is generally a 1-3 point spread between median accepted and mean matriculated.

Where are you getting these values? I'm looking at the US News stats for this years MS1 class. Regardless, the point wasn't to cite the values as much as it was to demonstrate that NW has an inflated median value due to the students they accept vs who matriculates.

Puerto Rico!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wait, um. Johns Hopkins is the best medical school in the country. TRADITION is everything

Lol, that was for the class applying in 2005. Things have gotten more competitive.
D'oh! I thought it was due to the differences between how the schools and US News compile their statistics. I didn't realize it was four years old.

Puerto Rico!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wait, um. Johns Hopkins is the best medical school in the country. TRADITION is everything

washU has consistently had really cute girls in white lab coats on the front pages of the promo brochures they've sent me the last two years, so i'd go with washU #1.

ATTRACTIVE STUDENTS OF THE OPPOSITE GENDER is everything

washU has consistently had really cute girls in white lab coats on the front pages of the promo brochures they've sent me the last two years, so i'd go with washU #1.

ATTRACTIVE STUDENTS OF THE OPPOSITE GENDER is everything

Dude, very good point. I was just there and I was thinking how they have a surprisingly attractive student body. Must play into their admissions decisions. Haven't seen Harvard or JH and probably won't get a chance, so I can't make an official evaluation.

I do not understand the point.

MCAT scores equate to medical school quality?

There is more to a med school's quality than a 5 hour test....:rolleyes:

Aren't many medical schools difficult to get into?

Status
Not open for further replies.